- Name: Body Replacement Technique (変わり身の術, Kawarimi no Jutsu; English TV "Substitution Jutsu")
- Type: E-rank, Supplementary
- Users: All Ninja Academy graduates
- Hand Seals: Ram, Boar, Ox, Dog, Snake
- Debut (Anime): Naruto Episode 1
- Debut (Manga): Chapter 1
This jutsu lets the user quickly switch places with another nearby object, such as a plant (normally a section of a log), an animal, or even another person within reach, leaving the opponent open to a counter-attack. Explosive tags can be attached to the replacement for an added surprise. Fundamentally, all ninja know this technique.
The anime has a number of other objects being used for this jutsu, such as a boulder, mud, a scarecrow, and even a large rolled-up carpet. These items are usually nowhere in sight, suggesting that they are merely gags meant to lighten up the situation and not an actual part of the jutsu. Additionally, the normal practice of switching places with a section of log is done in several places that have no such thing anywhere nearby.
This technique is sometimes referred to as the Art of Projection ("Utsusemi no Jutsu") in other manga and anime series.