Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bleh

How I would have handled the reveal of Tobi's Identity and Plot

When it was revealed that Tobi was actually Obito I knew this manga was done for me. There was no way Kishi could make it fit or justify Tobi being Obito. We knew it wasnt Madara even though he professed to be. I was hoping for some type of major revelation of an Uchiha plot to take back the leaf village.

For example here is how I would have made the reveal of Tobi EPIC!

I was hoping that the Uchiha had carried out a secret plan left by Madara in case they ever came to their senses and realized they were being suppressed. The plan would be to use get an Uchiha to become trusted as an informant to the village leaders (Itachi). Then use a genjutsu (Shisui's eye) to make the village leaders plot to destroy all the Uchiha and have the informant carry out the massacre (Itachi). On the night of the planned massacre Itachi Kills everyone and leaves the village to go to Madara's hiding place where Obito was transported but died and Madara took his eyes. Itachi would find the black and white zetsu there with Nagato and then Nagato would resurrect the slain Uchiha after the leaf village had cleaned up the mess roughly 24-48 hours later. Nagato was too young and not strong enough to revive Shisui as he had been killed sometime before the massacre. While the now revived Uchiha make the graves appear undisturbed they cast a collective genjutsu so that no one sees them do this or leave.

Itachi's father takes on the role of Tobi and gains Obito's eyes then forms the Akatsuki since. Itachi and Nagato join Akatsuki. Itachi was unable to kill Sasuke and instead left him alive in case Madara's plan failed and the leaf destroyed the Uchiha. He wanted Sasuke to grow strong and kill him so that he could be seen as a hero by the leaf and keep the Uchiha clan going even if the rest were found and slaughtered.

Itachi's dad then shares the plan to use the kyuubi to destroy the village. He then reads a scroll left by Madara on controlling the kyuubi.

Itachi's dad wears the mask, merges his body with a white zetsu and assaults the leaf as we saw. The Uchiha remain hidden in their secret location trying to increase their numbers and training for the day they take over the leaf and the world. They have also recruited other clans on the brink of extinction that the rest o the world believes are long gone.

When Tobi's mask breaks and it is revealed to be Sasuke's father Kakashi and Guy are floored!

Thats my version. I know it may not be perfect but I hate Obito being Tobi. What do you think? I am open to constructive criticism.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: How I would have handled the reveal of Tobi's Identity and Plot

We saw itachi kill his father and plus He would have known that it was fugaku. Also Tobi being obito is perfect IMO

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeozua View Post
    We saw itachi kill his father and plus He would have known that it was fugaku. Also Tobi being obito is perfect IMO
    Yes we did, but in my version Nagato brings everyone back.

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^This is the end^

well ur story was ok i suppose but while i watch old anime episodes well it reminds me how great manga writer kishi really is.. guy made itachi for crying out loud

if it were person not something made like zetsu is obito was probably best way to go about it.. i just dont like tobi as a character he's reality altering plan is kinda ****d up but if you want to rule the world better do it right

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then a chill swept through the
    mammoth crowd and the demons
    squealed with glee, as a
    sordid, vulgar, repulsive
    essence was felt. Arrogantly
    prancing, hands held high,
    draped in a sparkling shroud
    Trolled by demons, Syren
    ascended from Hell.

I think having tobi being obsessed with Rin is a bit much

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Senjutsu works!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSyren View Post
    The only thing I would have changed is Rin being Obito's sister, and both losing their parents.
    That would make their bounds stronger and justified.

Status
    May 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reluctantly Approved by NB

Obito is another mask. Wasn't it Kakashi who said "You must look underneath the underneath."

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Seems like a good plan, although i personally would just stick with Tobi being Obito, but just in a different way. The Izuna/Kagai stuff would have worked, but would've had less significance at this point, especially with Kakashi on the front lines.

The main problem with the reveal is that it was far too obvious from the beginning. From the very start, when Deidara's arm showed up next to him after Kakashi's kamui, or when he fought Konoha 11 and showed off the ST ninjutsu, his identity was exposed. I would have gone for less identity exposure throughout the story, which results in a greater plot twist during the reveal with a greater impact.

I ended up feeling fairly disappointed when the chapter came out, and now Obito's attitudes and ideals are screaming for a TNJ from Naruto to make him change his ways. Remember when Shikaku said "he's nothing like Nagato"? I thought "yes, finally, a badass who isn't manipulated by anyone, who controls everything from the shadows and is completely unaffected by TNJ" Now with the "you let rin die" and pessimistic dialogue all the time you can tell he's gotten soft ever since he took off the mask. This is why I only have faith in Orochimaru as the true villain of the series now.

For those who will probably tell us to "deal with it", here's my response. Up until the reveal, the general thought process of most people was something like this. In chronological order:

1. "Yep, Tobi is Obito"
    2. "Hmm, hold on. Kishi's cleverer than that, surely a massive twist is coming up. Tobi=Obito is far too obvious"
    3. "Let's think of other possible theories that could work"
    4. "Oh. It is Obito. Guess there's no plot twist after all. Cheers Kishi"

People who littered NB with "I told you so" threads a while back have simply achieved the same as those who originally though Tobi was Obito in the first place, they have gathered the simple evidence that Kishi left for all of us and made a thread about it. In fact, I can say with confidence that not a single Kagami/Izuna thread was made by someone without that person originally thinking that Tobi was Obito, only to then change their minds because they had faith in Kishi to come up with a more intelligent plot twist.

The thing I disagree with the most are the claims that "Kishi is a genius" for managing to keep the fans sidetracked and effectively double bluffing us into thinking that Tobi wasn't Obito. In my opinion this is not the case, I believe it is simply bad writing. Double bluffing doesn't really work in the story, because fans simply go back to their original ideas when they first saw Obito, and are then even more disappointed because nothing surprises them when it comes to the big reveal.

tl;dr version - Keep Tobi as Obito, but Kishi shouldn't have left so much simple evidence throughout the story that it makes the reveal boring. . Rant over.

Status
    Dec 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting for A Realm Reborn

Obito was/is the best choice, sorry lame Izuna or Sasuke's fodder dad, or random Uchiha #3 from Hiruzens team couldn't make the cut.
    Move on buddy.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Gyakusetsu View Post
    Obito is another mask. Wasn't it Kakashi who said "You must look underneath the underneath."
    I really hope you're right!

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSyren View Post
    Thing is he isn't that obsessed, sure he loved her and blames Kakashi for what happened to Rin but at this point in time, can you really blame him? His moved on from that part of his life onto something else bigger, which is trying to bring peace to the world in his own way.

Rin's death was a catalyst for Obito attempting to achieve something big, he knows that Rin's death was caused by all the lies and hate in the shinobi world. He is simply trying to prevent something like that happen again.

Status
    Mar 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "shapeless, formless, be
    water my friend."

I didn´t love your plot either, what I do admire, is both criticizing the hidden villain resolution and proposing an alternative one. Cheers!