Status
    May 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Money over *****es.

Football Training question.

I am currently training for a local club football team. As I am right now I am playing a forward position but no matter how I try I could never increase my speed. As of the moment I run a hundred meters in 11.5 seconds but in playing matches the defenders have always giving me a hard time. It's not a body weight issue because I am tall and off average weight.What is a good technique to increase speed? I have tried weights on my feet but to no avail.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this... The death you had
    imagined for me then?

Re: Football Training question.

Ouch.. Don't do ankle weights, they destroy your knees bro. it's hard to increase speed, but
    try all out sprinting. Push yourself past your limits, speed ended up coming naturally to me as my stamina
    went up from when I first began to play football.

Status
    May 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Money over *****es.

Quote Originally Posted by Koha View Post
    Ouch.. Don't do ankle weights, they destroy your knees bro. it's hard to increase speed, but
    try all out sprinting. Push yourself past your limits, speed ended up coming naturally to me as my stamina
    went up from when I first began to play football.
    I have tried sprinting to increase speed but I guess I have reached my limit with the time I have told you. I have never gone lower than 11.5 seconds. Just remained around that time.

Status
    Aug 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Although I don't agree with the sport there is a way to increase speed. Train with weights on your body or even walk around with ankle weights. When you take them off you'll feel somewhat lighter and you'll be able to run a lot faster. Or just outmaneuver your opponent if they're a lot faster than you use that to your advantage. Think of it like this: if an arrow is coming at you at full speed would it be best to run straight at it or swiftly move to the side? Well I hope this helps. Good luck!

Status
    Aug 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

By the way don't do anything to serious with the ankle weights just walk in them. For training use body weights.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this... The death you had
    imagined for me then?

Use body weights, Ankle weights are terrible for your lower body. :l

Status
    May 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Money over *****es.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruekakashi View Post
    Although I don't agree with the sport there is a way to increase speed. Train with weights on your body or even walk around with ankle weights. When you take them off you'll feel somewhat lighter and you'll be able to run a lot faster. Or just outmaneuver your opponent if they're a lot faster than you use that to your advantage. Think of it like this: if an arrow is coming at you at full speed would it be best to run straight at it or swiftly move to the side? Well I hope this helps. Good luck!
    Thank you but as I said I have trained with weights on my ankle before but I have not been able to increase my speed significantly to the extent I would have liked too. Also two people running after the same ball is not really a scenario to dodge.

Status
    May 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Money over *****es.

By the way don't do anything to serious with the ankle weights just walk in them. For training use body weights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koha View Post
    Use body weights, Ankle weights are terrible for your lower body. :l
    Thanks I'll try the body weights instead of the ankle weights.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    春野サクラ

11.5 for 100 meters isn't that slow tbh, if you're tall. You can't expect to be so fast if you're tall. That means you're taking 50 meters for less than 6 seconds bruh, which isn't quite bad. But for example, you should try working them out in the gym and then do some sprinting. It could hurt a bit, but no pain, no gain as we all know bruh. Best of luck.

Status
    May 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Money over *****es.

Quote Originally Posted by RinneBlitz View Post
    11.5 for 100 meters isn't that slow tbh, if you're tall. You can't expect to be so fast if you're tall. That means you're taking 50 meters for less than 6 seconds bruh, which isn't quite bad. But for example, you should try working them out in the gym and then do some sprinting. It could hurt a bit, but no pain, no gain as we all know bruh. Best of luck.
    Thanks for the advice. I am 6ft 2 inch to be exact but I think I will try the gym. Hopefully doing some legs might improve.

Status
    Aug 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Well when I was training for a martial arts tournament and yes this may seem silly but I raced my dog through the field until I was the same speed I don't know how it happened but it did. I think it was because I found a reference point then set a goal to match or exceed those limits and I did. You could always train with someone faster.

Status
    Aug 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

If your 6'2 then do stretch exercises more frequently so when you run your legs will cover more area while running meaning you'll go farther in a shorter amount of time.

Status
    May 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Money over *****es.

Well when I was training for a martial arts tournament and yes this may seem silly but I raced my dog through the field until I was the same speed I don't know how it happened but it did. I think it was because I found a reference point then set a goal to match or exceed those limits and I did. You could always train with someone faster.
    This seems like a good idea. Have to try this.

If your 6'2 then do stretch exercises more frequently so when you run your legs will cover more area while running meaning you'll go farther in a shorter amount of time.

Alright cool, thanks.

Status
    Aug 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

No problem.

Status
    Aug 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Don't forget to eat foods rich in calcium and protein to keep your joints strong. And after training remember to finish with a cool down, something simple like walking.

Strategic-Class Magician Mahesvara's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Material Burst-GG

Do a lot of quick and explosive leg workouts, like box jumps, jump squats, power clean, push press, etc.

Status
    Aug 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I'll think of a strategy for you as well for when your both trying to get the ball.

Status
    May 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Money over *****es.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahesvara View Post
    Do a lot of quick and explosive leg workouts, like box jumps, jump squats, power clean, push press, etc.
    Thanks man I think going to the gym and working on legs might do.

I'll think of a strategy for you as well for when your both trying to get the ball.
    Using my body to push off the defender and speed I think is my only way.

Status
    Aug 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Correct. It you increase your speed the force of the impact will be stronger.

Status
    Aug 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Btw, I run a lot faster than my friends because I run on the top part of my feet instead of my whole foot but while I'm doing this I lean my body forward. This allows me to run faster because when being compared to my friends while running I take two steps as they take one. This is due to the fact that I increase my velocity by concentrating more of the shock and force to a smaller surface area of my foot as opposed to someone getting their whole foot on the ground. Btw you need really good balance to do this.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula 868 View Post
    I am currently training for a local club football team. As I am right now I am playing a forward position but no matter how I try I could never increase my speed. As of the moment I run a hundred meters in 11.5 seconds but in playing matches the defenders have always giving me a hard time. It's not a body weight issue because I am tall and off average weight.What is a good technique to increase speed? I have tried weights on my feet but to no avail.
    You're increasing your speed the wrong way. No matter how hard you try to increase speed in running fields, it'll be totally different in pitch. All you'd do is increase your speed but slowly lose your touch; which is critical. Touch is the most important thing in game. You need to increase your pace and touch, because speed doesn't always matter in pitch. It's actually almost irrelevant.

But if you really want to do it, the easiest way is to decrease body fat. Yes, no matter how much you weigh, the body fat in your mass will always slow you down. Decrease it to the minimum and strengthen hip flexors.