Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: General Football Debates!

FULL-TIME
    Real M 1-1 Man.U

Shakhtar 2-2 Dortmund

Goals:
    Real Madrid (Ronaldo 30') 1-1 Manchester United (Welbeck 20')

Shakhtar Donetsk (Srna 31'; Costa 68') 2-2 B.Dortmund (Lewandowski 41'; Hummels 87')

Status
    May 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Modbanhammer! saraisthebest

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggadelic View Post
    Peyton Manning and Joe Flacco are the best players in the NFL!!!
    I am not infracting you cause you are a newcomer, but, for the record, this thread is about real football.

Oh well, I was mistaken again Glad that Real didn't win but I expected a bit more from Manchester.

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroyed all adventure, the
    only adventure left is to
    destroy society

Quote Originally Posted by Pesh View Post
    Do a barrel roll, Ramos, they'll give you free kick for that.
    EDIT: That ref was clearly helping Madrid
    It's pain in the ass reff such a match with who worst ref critics on the planet :D

Status
    Oct 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    It's pain in the ass reff such a match with who worst ref critics on the planet :D
    Oh, cmon, when was the last time you saw a ref stop the game before a corner was taken?

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”

Real Madrid v/s Manchester United Review:

Overall, I said that a draw was a fair result; though a 2-2 would've reflected the match better imo. United played pretty high in the first half; though a bit in vain as Madrid gain quite chances. But on their true first chance, United scored on the corner. Afterwards, United played pretty defensively. Not like Chelsea but more of a high pressing from their own half. Ronaldo's equalizing header; as I said; was a mirror from the CL's 2008 Final against Chelsea. Gotta admit, his elevation and power was impressive.

In second half, United clearly decided to defend more and more as I did predict at half-time. They did try to bury a goal in early instants but as Bernabeu was boiling, they decided to hang on. Must say that few even dared to believe that United could grab a draw at Bernabeu; and as I pointed before, we weren't such huge underdogs.

So, it's 2 goals from headers, 2 posts for each side (Contrao in early moments of the match and RVP later on...). There were also 2 boiling moments that was pivotal in my eyes; first De Gea's out-of-the-world save with his legs and then RVP's missing his shot as Alonso saved the ball on the line. Otherwise, both sides got quite some chances which could've have tilt the tie in different direction. Madrid obviously got more shots and attempts; given the amount of possession but one thing I'd point out, is that Madrid had way too many chances off-target - a sin they could regret once they leave Old Trafford.

Statistically speaking, a draw away from home with a goal scored favors United but as we know, with 2 such big sides on the fixture, this tie remains more than undecided. Compared to MU's fiasco in 03' at Bernabeu and then their hard-fought victory at Manchester, despite Ronaldo's hattrick, I'd say that this performance leaves room for optimism at Old Trafford if they up their game.

Player-wise: Lopez wasn't much a reliability in my eyes; he especially got lucky on Welbeck's 2nd attempt where he deflected the ball with lots of good fortune. Did the crucial stop on RVP's last volley though. The centerbacks - Ramos and Varane - got few to do and can't say they did all, with complete mastery. Varane was better in some tackles; though the last-ditch comeback on Evra was a foul in my eyes. Not a red card but definitely a foul with a possible yellow. Ramos, didn't impress and he was even faulty on the winning corner as he lost his marking on Welbeck. Mostly showed him with cinema antics. As he cried a lot; which influenced referee to give a yellow to both Valencia & RVP! His elbow went on Evans went much more unnoticed. More on refereeing later on... Arbeloa went for a pretty harsh night and had many players coming down his flanks. Conterao had Welbeck more, in center, so he was much less in jeopardy defensively. He was very good in offensive tasks though; touching the post, having his deflection saved outstandingly by De Gea & also whipped dangerous crosses.

Alonso & khedira did their fair task of their job and were instrumental in Madrid's pretty lengthy possession spells. Ozil created quite some openings and his passing and movement gave constant nuisance to Jones. His permutation with Ronaldo also lead to quite some confusion between United defenders. Di Maria was probably the greatest nuisance with his dribbling skills and accelerations. Him, who is often inconsistent, was shining bright tonight as he repeatedly tested De Gea but unfortunately not rewarded. His exit surprised me.

CR7? Well, maybe he was destined to score. Much less venomous than expected on the wings but had quite some chances in both halves, especially in/near the box and from 2 free-kicks. Probably the best Madrid player along with Di Maria. Benzema was poor; and his substitute Higuain wasn't any better. Modric was behind the last chance of Madrid as his cross was successfully netted in by CR7. Pepe didn't touch much the ball; and luckily didn't touch much legs of United's players either.

On United! All hail De Gea Not that this was his best match but his save with his legs will do impression round the globe. He dealt with most on-target shot well and his lack of physicality in corners didn't matter. Shot-stopping wise, he was great; especially since Madrid tried a lot of far-shots but as I said, luckily many off-targets. I was expecting Rafael to be more tested but since Ronaldo came into the box more and Benzema wasn't much of a threat inside it. Rafael did what was needed most of the time, and luckily his early yellow didn't turn red! Evra had a hell of a night against Di Maria and was powerless against Ronaldo's goal. Ferdinand and Evans were pretty composed both on the grounds and in the air. A much more assuring performance that what I did fear.

Jones helped the defence a lot in the box. Originally tasked to man-mark Ozil, the German's constant movement to the flanks forced him to be literally a 5th defender as time moved on. Still, did his job fairly well but was wasteful in his passing. Missed Cleverley there! Carrick also shielded the defence for most instance like Jones, and similarly was a bit wasteful in possession compared to his usual self.

Kagawa debuted the match as striker that tried to stretch Madrid's defence (a role he left Welbeck after the latter's goal). He maintained possession better than Carrick & Jones and his passing was instrumental in certain United's attacks. Removed for Giggs who did the same role but both would have shined better if United had better possession. Welbeck was a surprise! He again had quite impressive work-rates but he also did score this time, the crucial goal and he nearly add a second later on. Subs Valencia & Anderson didn't got time to shine.

Rooney was probably the best passer of United and often calmed the tempo after some Madrid tempest. As usual, never hesitated to help his defence but his long ball didn't have the expected cutting edge as RVP or Welbeck were often lonely against two defenders. Also, expected Rooney to grab more chances offensively as he had only 1 shot. Nearly assisted RVP whose shot crash onto the bar and removed shortly after that.

RVP dropped deeper than usual; having Welbeck and Kagawa roaming in front of him. Did the same role of Rooney of protecting and flicking the ball to calm the game. Had 3 great chances: One onto the bar, one that he missed and was saved on the line and one parred by Madrid's GK in dying instants. For the ball he missed to volley with power, I think he thought he was offside and this split-second distraction distabilise him. It's costly as this goal would have forwarded United with a big big momentum for return leg. RVP didn't have the same offensive hunger though today as some of his previous matches. Let's hope, he'll shine more at Old Traffford.

Some words of referee Brych who didn't have any extreme scandalous decisions but many of his decisions did favor Madrid. Notably giving 2 yellow to United players after Ramos' acting while the latter wasn't sanctioned for elbowing Evans. Then there was the non-given foul on Evra by Varane. Also, to stop the match before the last corner was pretty shocking. Hey, Mr., this is United, you are refereeing and there's something called Fergie time, @sshole Oh well, that's part of the game.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    cake?”

Quote Originally Posted by Pesh View Post
    Oh, cmon, when was the last time you saw a ref stop the game before a corner was taken?
    3 weeks ago, in a match in Serie A. There was a late free-kick that referee stopped the game beforehand. Forgot which match but that's not the point.

There's something called Fergie Time and it's blasphemy to stop a match like that. That'll be the view of any United fan. And I agree with that - the referee was utterly wrong here!

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroy society

sadly that's the only party of the game I've seen in the coffe shop. Whole match I spent in subway heading to work... and most of the matches I spend like that :3 GMT = FTW

ofc I agree that ref made a mistake.

ps. De Gea > Barcelona NAW!!!!

The White Demon Totsuka No Tsurugi's Avatar
    Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot take pride in such a
    meager endeavour

lucky MANU........

by the way the successor of Casillas is finally here, i mean he's from Madrid.............

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroy society

Quote Originally Posted by Totsuka No Tsurugi View Post
    lucky MANU........

by the way the successor of Casillas is finally here, i mean he's from Madrid.............
    I wonder who do you mean

The White Demon Totsuka No Tsurugi's Avatar
    Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot take pride in such a
    meager endeavour

I wonder who do you mean
    you know who.......
    he who must not be named

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Finally, Bayern's turn to play!

Arsenal v/s Bayern M.

Arsenal's squand:
    Szczęsny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Arteta, Wilshere, Walcott, Ramsey, Santi Cazorla, Podolski. SUBS: Mannone, Jenkinson, Diaby, Rosický, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coquelin, Giroud.

Bayern's squand:
    Neuer, Dante, Van Buyten, Lahm, Ribéry, Javi Martínez, T. Müller, Alaba, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Mandžukić. SUBS: Starke, Rafinha, Robben, Shaqiri, Luiz Gustavo, Tymoshchuk, Gomez.

I'm still, unhappy with Heyckens. Come on! Everytime Robben has played with Bayern this session, he scored (almost) and Gomez is amazing me everytime he goes on the field. Whatever, Bayern are favorites to win this game.
    What's the result gonna' be?

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    cake?”

Quote Originally Posted by -God of War- View Post
    Finally, Bayern's turn to play!

Arsenal v/s Bayern M.
    Arsenal 1 - 3 Bayern.

Well, I must say that this match was perfectly mastered by Bayern. A highly impressive display against an Arsenal overwhelmed by the German's high-pressure and attacking fiery. The match reminds me of United's display against Arsenal some months back where RVP scored early on and United got lots of chances that they wasted. That match ended 2-1 despite United completely annihilating Arsenal's maneuvers. The story pretty repeated itself here - with a Bayern that scored early, pressing high to stop nearly all Arsenal's attack, wasted many chances in my opinion despite netting 3 away goals, conceded a stupid goal on a non-existent corner and ended up winning on a score that should have had a larger gap.

Arsenal tried to shine through some individual brilliancy in second-half. Especially Wilshere & Cazorla who tried to dribble and pierce Bayern's defence. But the pressing in midfield completely killed Arsenal's teamwork which, again reminds me of the match United put. Impressive displays of the Bayern back-four in my eyes and an equally awful display by Arsenal's defence. A good team performance by all Bayern players imo -

There were also too many bad fouls imo - and eventually many yellow cards. I think Arsenal's players got way too frustrated after Muller's goal but many bad fouls from Bayern's side too... Many key players could miss the Quarter Finals if the match is played on similar or higher intensity. But that part concern mostly Bayern players as I certainly don't see Arsenal scoring 3 goals at Allianz Arena. They did score 3 back after conceding 4 against Milan last year but no, in my eyes, Bayern got 99% chance to qualify themselves.

Status
    May 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't care for the winner in the beginning, but towards the end i found myself cheering for Bayern. Totally deserved the win, I won't be surprised if they make it to the final. Good game.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Diamond In The Rough!

Bayern were not necesarily thier best tonight nor did they outshine arsenal that much but the main difference is that they took chance of the opporturnity they had wheras arsenad did not. It would take a miracle for arsenal to progress to the quarter finals the same goes for celtic. Bayern do have the potential to get to the final and even take the cup but to be frank i dont see that happening ,they missed out on a golden opportunity last year to win the trophy on home_soil and it doesnt get any better than that. Looking forward to barcelona taking on milan at the san siro its gonna be tough ac milan have picked up thier form and are a far better team than the tem they were during the begining stages of this season. They would be missing balotelli but still i dont expect it to be a wall in the park for barcelona a draw is a very possible outcome. Lets see how it goes. Barcelona rocks.

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroy society

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
    Bayern were not necesarily thier best tonight nor did they outshine arsenal that much but the main difference is that they took chance of the opporturnity they had wheras arsenad did not. It would take a miracle for arsenal to progress to the quarter finals the same goes for celtic. Bayern do have the potential to get to the final and even take the cup but to be frank i dont see that happening ,they missed out on a golden opportunity last year to win the trophy on home_soil and it doesnt get any better than that. Looking forward to barcelona taking on milan at the san siro its gonna be tough ac milan have picked up thier form and are a far better team than the tem they were during the begining stages of this season. They would be missing balotelli but still i dont expect it to be a wall in the park for barcelona a draw is a very possible outcome. Lets see how it goes. Barcelona rocks.
    Remember Arsenal 3 -0 AC Milan (agg.4-3) in 2012? but this was a home result there is nothing to do now. Just as Rei said there won't be surprise for them to get and maybe even win Barcelona in the final :3

Bayern München one of the 3 strognest clubs in Europe?

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Arsenal 1-3 Bayern M.

As a Bayern fan, I'm very happy with their performance!
    At the start, I thought it would be a tough match cause Arsenal are at their own stadium...but when Kroos scored, I totally changed my mind. As Thunderbolt said, that wasn't the best performance of Bayern but that meant nothing agaisnt Arsenal.
    I wanted to make a review of this game (as a bavarian fan) but, I got sick...so thanks Escorpiius!

I hope, I'll have time to post Milan v/s Barcelona & Galatasaray v/s Schalke 04 (squand, formation, etc)

Last edited by -God of War-; 02-20-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    cake?”

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
    They completely out-shined Arsenal; without being at their best. That's what is scary and thereby, we can say that Bayern were far superior.

As for their chance to win CL, well, I think they have better chance than last time; as they have got a much better squad depth. Martinez was impressive yesterday, Mandzukic is very devoted to his coach's gameplan, Muller has improved a lot, Kroos is great and these changes do permit Heyckens to bench players like Robben, Gomez, Shaqiri ect...

As for Milan v/s Barcelona, I don't think Milan is any superior than Arsenal at current moment. But Milan got a better momentum since Balotelli's arrival compared to the downward spiral Arsenal has been in since the FA Cup's elimination. So, they could fare better than Arsenal but without Balotelli, I expect much wonders from Milan (despite being at San Siro).

Remember Arsenal 3 -0 AC Milan (agg.4-3) in 2012? but this was a home result there is nothing to do now. Just as Rei said there won't be surprise for them to get and maybe even win Barcelona in the final :3

Bayern München one of the 3 strognest clubs in Europe?

I agree...But apart from Arsenal/Milan, I could mention 2 other results from last year's CL Round of 16 to make a comparison. First is a hopeful chance to Arsenal - Napoli won 3-1 against Chelsea, Chelsea won the return leg 4-1 and the rest is history as they say...

Then is a much fearful option for Arsenal. Barcelona defeated Bayer Leverkusen 3-1 on German's soil, before Messi and co. decimated Bayer 7-1 at Camp Nou (Total Agg: 10-2). Given Bayern's attacking potential, Arsenal could also face such a wrath...

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroy society

My analysis for this CL .. title is only for 4 clubs to win between MANU, RM, FCB and FCB ^^ Since Chelsea is absent this time there shouldn't be any surprises/disturbing outcomes and parked ''Antonov's'' should be beautiful attacking football.

PS. Balotelli So happy for him

Status
    May 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Conte: Only way to stop Messi is with a gun!

Loved this article!

Go Barca!

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroy society

Quote Originally Posted by ★ Rei ★ View Post

Loved this article!

Go Barca!
    Never thought this day will come when I say that : I love you Rei :D

lol at goal.com though

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    cake?”

My analysis for this CL .. title is only for 4 clubs to win between MANU, RM, FCB and FCB ^^ Since Chelsea is absent this time there shouldn't be any surprises/disturbing outcomes and parked ''Antonov's'' should be beautiful attacking football.

PS. Balotelli So happy for him
    Well, given that either United or Madrid will go out, I'll put Dortmund & Juventus to have a potentially great CL campaign for sure. If either of these do reach Semis, it won't eryoneous to say that they'll also have realistic potential chance of winning the trophy; no matter which opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by ★ Rei ★ View Post

Loved this article!

Go Barca!
    Yeah, I read that 2 days ago! xD Well, it was good sarcastic humor; though it lacked a Chuck Norris reference.

Never thought this day will come when I say that : I love you Rei :D
    Brace yourself from a potential Zise ban hammer!

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroy society

Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    Well, given that either United or Madrid will go out, I'll put Dortmund & Juventus to have a potentially great CL campaign for sure. If either of these do reach Semis, it won't eryoneous to say that they'll also have realistic potential chance of winning the trophy; no matter which opponent.
    Juve maybe next year with David Villa :3 I have no say for Dortmund, haven't seen them play but Bayern is hungry if they face Barcelona it would match I wished to see... sick of Barca vs. Real madrid

Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    Brace yourself from a potential Zise ban hammer!
    I have survived it before but not Zise's hammer though... this one might be different O.o

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Milan v/s Barcelona

Milan's squand:
    Abbiati, Mexès, Zapata, Abate, Muntari, Boateng, Montolivo, Constant, Ambrosini, Pazzini, El Shaarawy SUBS: Amelia, De Sciglio, Yepes, Traoré, Christante, Niang, Krkić.

Barcelona's squand:
    Valdés, Alves, Piqué, Puyol, Alba, Fàbregas, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Pedro, SUBS: Pinto, Mascherano, Montoya, Thiago Alcántara, Song, Alexis Sánchez, Tello.

-------------
    Galatasaray v/s Schalke 04

Galatasaray's squand:
    Muslera, Nounkeu, Semih Kaya, Sabri Sarıoğlu, Hamit Altıntop, Selçuk İnan, Felipe Melo, Riera, Sneijder, Drogba, Burak Yılmaz SUBS: Eray İşcan, Hakan Balta, Eboué, Kurtuluş, Emre Çolak, Amrabat, Umut Bulut.

Schalke's squand:
    Hildebrand, Höwedes, Matip, Kolasinac, Bastos, Höger, Jones, Draxler, Neustädter, Farfán, Huntelaar SUBS: Fährmann, Metzelder, Fuchs, Barnetta, Meyer, Obasi, Pukki.

Senior Member Naruto N. Uzumaki's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    too cool for a status

Barcelona losing 2-0 with 10 minutes to go

Status
    May 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Great analysis like always Escorpiius, but I could hardly read it due to my crying like a baby