Page 3 of 22 « First 123456713 ... Last»
    Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Atheism

Quote Originally Posted by 8thHokage View Post
    ohhh, sorry than.. i thought you were saying we shouldnt have these discussions.. i jus want people to think more critically about there beliefs cause in most cases, it is hurting people.. i kno its a pretty radical idea i hold, but i jus think all religion needs to end..
    yeah man, people should talk about whatever they want. I just don't like when people try to convert others or push their religion on others. because you're right it does hurt people. although i think people need something to believe in, it gives some people hope in that they believe that there is always someone watching over them. whether u agree or not, u must understand that there is good and bad to religion

Banned
    Status
    Nov 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Half Lycan Primape Giant....
    Half Canine Monsterous Demon

Hyperion i was going to make a thread like this but you beat me to it. and Typhon i see you beat me to this thread too!

anyways i have a question for the athiest.!

please explain to me, basically what is evolution? (in your own words please no links or whatever)

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by sharinganenvy View Post
    yeah man, people should talk about whatever they want. I just don't like when people try to convert others or push their religion on others. because you're right it does hurt people. although i think people need something to believe in, it gives some people hope in that they believe that there is always someone watching over them. whether u agree or not, u must understand that there is good and bad to religion
    ehhh, noo, i disagree.. there is no good that is strictly exclusive to religion.. people dont need to believe in anything, i dont.. and i actually think its a rather disturbing idea that there is always someone watching over you and always knows wat you are thinking.. if people take comfort in that, they clearly arent thinking rationally because no one in there right mind would want that.. without religion wed have good people doing good things and bad people doing bad things, but it takes religion to have good people doing bad things.. any good act people commit in the name of religion can be done and should be done without it.. and if that happened, all the extra bad shit that occurs in the name of religion would disappear.. we'd still have a alot of bad sh*t going on, but there would be much less..

Status
    May 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sosa

wow this again? seriously guys...

*I am dissapoint*

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by NarutoVsGoku View Post
    Hyperion i was going to make a thread like this but you beat me to it. and Typhon i see you beat me to this thread too!

anyways i have a question for the athiest.!

please explain to me, basically what is evolution? (in your own words please no links or whatever)
    siiighhhh, it is the concept that all organisms are related to each other by common ancestry.. its essential, its the unifying theme in biology man.. the mechanism for evolution is natural selection, which is the survival of offspring best adapted to the conditions in which they live.. it works like this, individuals produce alot of offspring, much more than the environment can possibly sustain. these offspring are not identical, they have variations based on genetic differences that come from mutations and other sh*t.. those offspring with the variations best suited for survival will grow to the age where they can reproduce, thus passing on these favorable adaptations to the next generation, wiping out the other dudes that dont have the adaptations.. thus, nature is selecting offspring and shaping the evolution of all species.. wheww, i think that covers it..

Banned
    Status
    Nov 2010
    Post Thanks / Like

it is in our nature to worship something. this has been observed in different cultures of different time periods around the world. whther people have worshipped gods, demons, nature, animals, the sun the moon the stars etc.

even athiests who claim to not to believe in any deities fall into worshipping themselves. you guys may not see it as such but you guys live for yourselves, look out for your well beings, do what makes you happy, make your own rules and morals and just "live life".

NB's Shameless Flirt IntrovertedKittenNinja's Avatar
    Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

it is in our nature to worship something. this has been observed in different cultures of different time periods around the world. whther people have worshipped gods, demons, nature, animals, the sun the moon the stars etc.

even athiests who claim to not to believe in any deities fall into worshipping themselves. you guys may not see it as such but you guys live for yourselves, look out for your well beings, do what makes you happy, make your own rules and morals and just "live life".
    I'm kind of offended by this. Not because I'm agnostic but just offended you underestimate humanity's capacity for good. Do you really think people are only charitable and selfless because they believe in a god? That people who don't believe in a god is incapable of caring for others?

Why do people get this notion that athiests have no morals or are horrible, jaded, people with no hope? That, people only live by morals and rules because they have a god watching over them and not because of their own ethics?

Banned
    Status
    Nov 2010
    Post Thanks / Like

siiighhhh, 1.it is the concept that all organisms are related to each other by common ancestry.. its essential, its the unifying theme in biology man.. 2. the mechanism for evolution is natural selection, which is the survival of offspring best adapted to the conditions in which they live.. it works like this, individuals produce alot of offspring, much more than the environment can possibly sustain. these offspring are not identical, they have variations based on genetic differences that come from mutations and other sh*t.. 3. those offspring with the variations best suited for survival will grow to the age where they can reproduce, thus passing on these favorable adaptations to the next generation, 4.wiping out the other dudes that dont have the adaptations.. thus, nature is selecting offspring and shaping the evolution of all species.. wheww, i think that covers it..
    thank you. you are very active in this thread and i have a feeling you and me will be well aquainted.

let me be sure though about this. based on what you said, evolution:

1. everything living thing has a common ancestry?
    2. natural selection and genetic variations causes evolution?
    3. the organism that is best suited/fitted for his/her/its environment lives and reproduce passing on its dna/genes?
    4. less fitted/suited dont pass their genes and their genes are not represented in the gene pool of the species?

did i summarize it right?

how does evolution explain there being so much different types organisms on this planet? mammals, reptiles, birds, plants, bacteria, fungis etc.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

waat??:flaw::flaw: noo, you are outrageously misinformed.. you make atheists sound like selfish d*uches.. im very selfless, and i rarely think about my self first, in all honesty.. i wont lie, i could do alot more than i do to help people, and i do jus live life casually, but you have the atheist mind set all wrong.. im very concerned with humanity and i wanna help change it and move it in a more positive direction some how.. im jus still thinking about how i should go about that..:confused:

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

thank you. you are very active in this thread and i have a feeling you and me will be well aquainted.

3. the organism that is best suited/fitted for his/her/its environment lives and reproduce passing on its dna/genes?
    4. less fitted/suited dont pass their genes and their genes are not represented in the gene pool of the species?

how does evolution explain there being so much different types organisms on this planet? mammals, reptiles, birds, plants, bacteria, fungis etc.
    Because there are varying climates and ecological environments. Different situations require different ways to adapt. Therefore even though two creatures may be birds, one might have a longer, thinner beak so that it can grab insects from inside trees and such, while another might not need such a beak because it's prey lives in a different habitat. Pretty self explanatory.

What do you believe to be the reason for different types of organisms?

Banned
    Status
    Nov 2010
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IntrovertedKittenNinja View Post
    I'm kind of offended by this. Not because I'm agnostic but just offended you underestimate humanity's capacity for good. Do you really think people are only charitable and selfless because they believe in a god? That people who don't believe in a god is incapable of caring for others?

Why do people get this notion that athiests have no morals or are horrible, jaded, people with no hope? That, people only live by morals and rules because they have a god watching over them and not because of their own ethics?
    woah lol i am sorry if i offended you. im not here to offend anyone and i dont want anyone to offend me. i like these kind of discussions and i hate those who ruin it and get butt hurt, or start trashing people etc but im not here to do that.

maybe its how i said it but let me explain ok.

you said your agnostic. i've heard of that but i honestly am not sure what it really is. please tell me what it is and what you believe in and why have you chosen to be agnostic?

idk why you see it as i underestimate humanitys capacity for good lol. all i said is that we all have it in our nature to worship something. even if that something is ourselves. and when it comes to human capacity imo i believe that by nature we are evil. we do have the capacity for good but we most likely do not choose to do good at all. if we choose to do good, for instance that little 2 year old in china wouldnt have gotten ran over (twice) in broad daylight and have over a dozen pedistrians walk and drive past her ignoring her dying body and cries for help. if you dont know what im talking about just look in the general discussion threads in the 1st page. theres at least 2 threads about it.

lol i never said people who dont believe in gods cannot be caring or any such thing. im sorry if it sounded such or was implied. there are many "good" people who do not believe. in our human standards they are good because they are kind and do not steal or murder. but in the eyes of God it is not "good". good is living your life for God. mind you this is what i believe and im not pushing it on you just sharing my thoughts.

i never said athiests have no morals. but was i wrong that i said athiests make their own morals? my morals are based on the bible. based on Gods word. your morals may be based on your experiences, "common sense", what you were taught by your parents or taught in school, based on the laws of where you are from, etc.

um did i miss anything? lol

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

woah lol i am sorry if i offended you. im not here to offend anyone and i dont want anyone to offend me. i like these kind of discussions and i hate those who ruin it and get butt hurt, or start trashing people etc but im not here to do that.

maybe its how i said it but let me explain ok.

you said your agnostic. i've heard of that but i honestly am not sure what it really is. please tell me what it is and what you believe in and why have you chosen to be agnostic?

idk why you see it as i underestimate humanitys capacity for good lol. all i said is that we all have it in our nature to worship something. even if that something is ourselves. and when it comes to human capacity imo i believe that by nature we are evil. we do have the capacity for good but we most likely do not choose to do good at all. if we choose to do good, for instance that little 2 year old in china wouldnt have gotten ran over (twice) in broad daylight and have over a dozen pedistrians walk and drive past her ignoring her dying body and cries for help. if you dont know what im talking about just look in the general discussion threads in the 1st page. theres at least 2 threads about it.

lol i never said people who dont believe in gods cannot be caring or any such thing. im sorry if it sounded such or was implied. there are many "good" people who do not believe. in our human standards they are good because they are kind and do not steal or murder. but in the eyes of God it is not "good". good is living your life for God. mind you this is what i believe and im not pushing it on you just sharing my thoughts.

i never said athiests have no morals. but was i wrong that i said athiests make their own morals? my morals are based on the bible. based on Gods word. your morals may be based on your experiences, "common sense", what you were taught by your parents or taught in school, based on the laws of where you are from, etc.

um did i miss anything? lol
    That's fine. It's just the way you said "even athiests who claim to not to believe in any deities fall into worshipping themselves. you guys may not see it as such but you guys live for yourselves, look out for your well beings, do what makes you happy, make your own rules and morals and just "live life", can be a little misleading.

Agnostics believe that it's impossible to prove there is a God (provided there is one-- where Agnostics who believe there is a god but believe it's impossible to prove are called Agnostic Theists whilst Agnostic Atheists believe there is no God but don't deny the possibility.) For the most part, Agnostics just think it could either way, and most of the time believe it doesn't matter either way.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

yesss, good summary. and yaa if you go back far enough, theoretically there should be one common ancestor.. i mean, its kinda confusing and long to discuss on here, you should do your own research, theres alot of great stuff on the internet and also books, but basically it started billions of years ago with prokaryotes , than after that eukaryotic cells came, than these eukaryotic cells engulfed bacteria, which is called endosymbiosis.. its the the reason why alot of bacteria resembles structures inside eukaryotic cells, its pretty cool.. soo this junk went on for while and eventually aquatic multicellular organisms began to arise .. and practically these different organisms went off in different paths evolving into our different speices using all the varying evolutionary mechanisms..

Last edited by 8thHokage; 10-28-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Original Akatsuki Member Dragonfly X's Avatar
    Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

yesss, good summary. and yaa if you go back far enough, theoretically there should be one common ancestor.. i mean, its kinda confusing and long to discuss on here, you should do your own research, theres alot of great stuff on the internet and also books, but basically it started billions of years ago with prokaryotes , than after that eukaryotic cells came, than these eukaryotic cells engulfed bacteria, which is called endosymbiosis.. its the the reason why alot of bacteria resembles structures inside eukaryotic cells, its pretty cool.. soo this junk went on for while and eventually aquatic multicellular organisms began to arise from.. and practically these different organisms went off in different paths evolving into our different speices using all varying evolutionary mechanisms..
    I'm proud you were the one talking for us in our absence
    Anyways, cause people know me as the person who usually makes these sort of threads. And I am a bit known for defending atheism. Though when it gets into science, I am out. If you wanna learn about evolution, you would most likely do better picking up a book. It is such a huge thing, and a ridiculous task to try and explain it all in one go. Though you did a pretty good job

Banned
    Status
    Nov 2010
    Post Thanks / Like

waat??:flaw::flaw: noo, you are outrageously misinformed.. you make atheists sound like selfish d*uches.. im very selfless, and i rarely think about my self first, in all honesty.. i wont lie, i could do alot more than i do to help people, and i do jus live life casually, but you have the atheist mind set all wrong.. im very concerned with humanity and i wanna help change it and move it in a more positive direction some how.. im jus still thinking about how i should go about that..:confused:
    Oh yea? Well You made believers to sound like ignorant stupid *******s. And not just you but some others as well. I read the first pages before commenting. Just from my memory things were mentioned about how its annoying that we shove our beliefs down peoples throats, we're annoying cuz we go door to door sharing our beliefs, pope caused many people to die in africa cuz he said condoms are evil and aids spread and believers hold back scientific break throughs and advancements and we spread ignorance. non believers make us out to be bad guys and incredibly stupid and ya want to point fingers saying we rude?! but i aint even mad and lets all just stop being butthurt.

I think you took what i said out of context and again im not tryin to offend anybody so i apoligize. All i was saying is that it is in our nature to worship. Some worship god and others worship themselves. Im not calling ya conceited. Im saying where as i live for the purpose of my God and what he has created me for ya live to live in the moment, or live for your love ones, or live for yourselves or live cuz you only have 1 life and its short so livr it to the fullest. Am i incorrect in what i say?

I want to help too. I want to someday get a career i love and help n contribute to society. By a good example to my little bro and sis, make my parents proud, help people maybe save a life or 2. I also want to draw people closer to God not by my words but by my actions by how i live.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

well first... all i know is atheism is the lack of belief in any higher power above us... just simply living in the natural world without restrictions of any kind. They live with what they think is right or wrong...(enlighten me if you think im not in the right path)

second... I dont think this thread is made to force any form of beliefs on people in here.. it was made for a healthy discussion where people give their opinions not to change other people beliefs but definitely just to give them ideas on what they believe in...

third... I believe.... that religions don't kill people... human does..

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly X View Post
    I'm proud you were the one talking for us in our absence
    Anyways, cause people know me as the person who usually makes these sort of threads. And I am a bit known for defending atheism. Though when it gets into science, I am out. If you wanna learn about evolution, you would most likely do better picking up a book. It is such a huge thing, and a ridiculous task to try and explain it all in one go. Though you did a pretty good job
    haha, i guess.. i must say that description is BEYOND vague.. there is aloooot of stuff i left out, 10 books worth of stuff.. i wish i was in person cause it would be a little easier.. but now this is having me refresh myself on the topic cause i am rusty with the specifics.. this makes me happy

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Oh yea? Well You made believers to sound like ignorant stupid *******s. And not just you but some others as well. I read the first pages before commenting. Just from my memory things were mentioned about how its annoying that we shove our beliefs down peoples throats, we're annoying cuz we go door to door sharing our beliefs, pope caused many people to die in africa cuz he said condoms are evil and aids spread and believers hold back scientific break throughs and advancements and we spread ignorance. non believers make us out to be bad guys and incredibly stupid and ya want to point fingers saying we rude?! but i aint even mad and lets all just stop being butthurt.

I think you took what i said out of context and again im not tryin to offend anybody so i apoligize. All i was saying is that it is in our nature to worship. Some worship god and others worship themselves. Im not calling ya conceited. Im saying where as i live for the purpose of my God and what he has created me for ya live to live in the moment, or live for your love ones, or live for yourselves or live cuz you only have 1 life and its short so livr it to the fullest. Am i incorrect in what i say?

I want to help too. I want to someday get a career i love and help n contribute to society. By a good example to my little bro and sis, make my parents proud, help people maybe save a life or 2. I also want to draw people closer to God not by my words but by my actions by how i live.
    What? In the bolded part, is that what you believe atheists worship? It isn't as if we are worshiping anything, let alone ourselves. We don't have shrines in the closest praying "Oh yeah, I was awesome today, and I bet I will be even cooler tomorrow"...That's ridiculous, you do know the general belief of atheism is without worshiping anything right?

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Myobokuzan or die.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    From Wiki:

Serious Question: What else is there that is missing?
    Sacarsm: The monkeys at the Zoo are going to be humans in 1 millions supposedly
    BOLDED POINTS
    Guys, I didn't make this thread so you can argue about religion. I already did that(create a religion thread) and Cali closed it because everyone was straying from the topic.
    All I asked was what else is missing beside the description I had already posted. I understand some Christians or religious people have an opinion to voice out, but please do not disrespect the thread or other people. This is not about Evolution, only about Atheism.

If you want to argue about religion? PM/VM each other. That's not the topic.
    Keep to Atheism yeah?

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

BOLDED POINTS
    Guys, I didn't make this thread so you can argue about religion. I already did that(create a religion thread) and Cali closed it because everyone was straying from the topic.
    All I asked was what else is missing beside the description I had already posted. I understand some Christians or religious people have an opinion to voice out, but please do not disrespect the thread or other people. This is not about Evolution, only about Atheism.

If you want to argue about religion? PM/VM each other. That's not the topic.
    Keep to Atheism yeah?
    If you are going to put a misleading evolution theory in your beginning post. Perhaps you should rethink what you expected us to talk about. Perhaps lay out what we should be discussing...

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Myobokuzan or die.

If you are going to put a misleading evolution theory in your beginning post. Perhaps you should rethink what you expected us to talk about. Perhaps lay out what we should be discussing...
    How about you not get angry and jump to conclusions?
    8thHokage understood. Kitty should know.

BOLDED: Stop complaining and contribute or stfu and leave?

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ask not for lighter burdens,
    but for broader shoulders.

I love me some Atheists. Not being sarcastic btw. ^^

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

How about you not get angry and jump to conclusions?
    8thHokage understood. Kitty should know.

BOLDED: Stop complaining and contribute or stfu and leave?
    How about you scroll up and read my posts and the stfu
    I do contribute. And as for me being angry, I didn't capitalize words, and put exclamation points at the end, how did I convey to you I was angry?

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

to be honest, i do think believers are extremely ignorant, and many of them i would use expletives to describe.. my examples about the pope and hindrance of intelligent thought are 100% accurate, and if you find offense to them than you are not being honest with yourself.. if you think spreading the idea that the world is 6000 years old, and the story of noah and the ark is true, and that humans and dinosaurs lived together is not poisonous and harmful information that is detrimental to our society. than something is wrong with you.. like thomas jefferson said, "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.” now i dont think ridicule is the only weapon, but it is one that is in my argumentative arsenal, and i try to use it sparingly, but sometimes i fail . my position is the idea of god is completely unnecessary and causes incredible harm, it should be completely vanquished and non-existent in an intelligent, rational society

Last edited by 8thHokage; 10-28-2011 at 04:29 AM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Myobokuzan or die.

How about you scroll up and read my posts and the stfu
    I do contribute. And as for me being angry, I didn't capitalize words, and put exclamation points at the end, how did I convey to you I was angry?
    I will lol