Page 3 of 10 « First 1234567 ... Last»
    Status
    Feb 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: religion vs science

Quote Originally Posted by IntrovertedKittenNinja View Post
    I was raised Catholic all my life, and still go to church every now and then with family and friends. Mainly just to be tolerant of their beliefs.

I didn't just become Agnostic because I thought it was hip. I did it because I just can't reconcile my doubts. I was lying to myself.

So I know what it's like from your perspective. But like you said, you don't know what it's like from mine.

I guarantee most Atheists and Agnostics you'll meet if not all, started out worshiping a religion. It's because they know about their respective religion that they find faults with it that they can't reconcile, and become Atheist or Agnostic. They just don't do it out of nowhere.
    you said just to be tolerant of their beliefs, I'm asking you to do it for YOU! you don't have to start out by listening to a priest or anybody else, this time it will be for you, you can take your time and like I said, really try to get to know him, and not just put up with him because of friends and family. what do you say? I humbly beg you to try this, please don't look at me as someone debating with you.

and also, I only said that it would mean abandoning God whom I love, growing up, I use to think all these rules were stupid and didn't really want to follow them because I didn't want to put in any effort. but now....things changed

UCHIHA: THE DEMON HUNTER Uchiha Paulsama's Avatar
    Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by yama View Post
    @introvertedkitten and to all atheist, let's do a little challenge. Now I can't go into being an atheist because it would mean abandoning God whom I love. but if you atheist don't believe on God or any higher being at all then getting to know God a little don't really have any consequences, how about you read the bible here and there but also at least try to understand God, try to connect God and the things in the bible with your everyday life and also the current events that are going on around you. what do you say?

if there is no God, then there's nothing to fear. the only fear would be if you think you'd actually find him. believe me, here's there waiting for you.
    non believers, accept his challenge, THEE is waiting, give it a shot, its all i ask, i LOVE YOU ALL NO MATTER WHAT, ITS CALLED UNCONDITIONAL LOVE BRO

NB's Shameless Flirt IntrovertedKittenNinja's Avatar
    Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

you said just to be tolerant of their beliefs, I'm asking you to do it for YOU! you don't have to start out by listening to a priest or anybody else, this time it will be for you, you can take your time and like I said, really try to get to know him, and not just put up with him because of friends and family. what do you say? I humbly beg you to try this, please don't look at me as someone debating with you.

and also, I only said that it would mean abandoning God whom I love, growing up, I use to think all these rules were stupid and didn't really want to follow them because I didn't want to put in any effort. but now....things changed
    Nonono. I started out raised as a Catholic. As in, there was a point in time when I prayed every night before bed, and before every dinner, went to confession, did first communion, all that. I used to feel so guilty for feeling that hint of doubt and pray for forgiveness.

Then I lived life and learned about the world and decided I'm agnostic. That's all there is.

Banned
    Status
    Nov 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Half Lycan Primape Giant....
    Half Canine Monsterous Demon

You cant have religion vs science. I see your point and if anything you should have named it evolution vs creation.

God created nature, physics, chemistry the world itself. But there are some lies and illogical "theories" in science like evolution, abiogenesis or big bang.

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Religion is pretty strong but science has a power level of OVER 9000!

Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rules of Acquisition #15.
    Acting stupid is often smart.

Nonono. I started out raised as a Catholic. As in, there was a point in time when I prayed every night before bed, and before every dinner, went to confession, did first communion, all that. I used to feel so guilty for feeling that hint of doubt and pray for forgiveness.

Then I lived life and learned about the world and decided I'm agnostic. That's all there is.
    same. minus the guilty part.

the last time religion was in charge we had a little something called the Dark Ages & it lasted 1,000 years. we burned ppl because they were not the same religion, and made no technological advancement and what was the science back then? the holy book. a book that has been translated so many times that its impossible to know what it initially said.

Status
    May 2011
    On the pavement thinking about the government.
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

You want an atheist/agnostic person to, with an open minded, try giving religion a shot? That's fine. Fair enough.
    Yet you refuse to do try being atheistic/agnostic with an open mind? You are so sure that they might are wrong, why don't you try it.

And what were the rules you had troubles with? How did you reconcile them?
    I was raised Catholic and would like to hear.

Status
    Feb 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

my God!! can't you see? though I don't know you, I wish I was there for you.
    if you believed in God, then you must have known of the devil and his tricks, don't you see you were having doubts already, and then you conveniently stumbled across atheism. THIS IS HOW SATAN WORKS!! and he won, satan hates God and wants to prove to him that none of us love him and that he could take any one of us, God once said to Satan, "behold. my servant Job, there is none like him" satan then said "take everything away, and he will curse you" satan was and he lossed.

but little did Job know that he was so worthy that God was willing to test him in against Satan, his name was actually being spoken in heaven and he had no clue. but he made God proud by not letting Satan win

this is what I mean, read the bible please, I guarantee you there is a situation for everything that happens in one's life. it is more than a book,in it is the power to help keep us strong

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Myobokuzan or die.

Quote Originally Posted by ackeem1992 View Post

that's why i believe an atheist cannot possibly be a logical thinking person, because if one is knowledgeable to a certain degree, then one should be able apply logic to that knowledge and instantaneously know that a supreme being has to exit.

and like i said earlier I'm not shoving Hinduism or Christianity down anybodies throat and merely implying that atheism and non-belief of deities is more illogical rather than logical.
    It was worded and typed to be smart, but its an insult.

Now Religion vs Science? I'm not going to dive headfirst into the already brewing debate.

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ask not for lighter burdens,
    but for broader shoulders.

It all boils down to one simple fact:

You can scientifically prove phenomenons that occur with us and our environment.
    You cannot prove anything with religion.

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

if you believed in God, then you must have known of the devil and his tricks, don't you see you were having doubts already, and then you conveniently stumbled across atheism. THIS IS HOW SATAN WORKS!! and he won, satan hates God and wants to prove to him that none of us love him and that he could take any one of us, God once said to Satan, "behold. my servant Job, there is none like him" satan then said "take everything away, and he will curse you" satan was and he lossed.

but little did Job know that he was so worthy that God was willing to test him in against Satan, his name was actually being spoken in heaven and he had no clue. but he made God proud by not letting Satan win

this is what I mean, read the bible please, I guarantee you there is a situation for everything that happens in one's life. it is more than a book,in it is the power to help keep us strong
    If you believe in God you'll know the devil and his tricks?

Satan doesn't hate God. He hates humans supposedly because we(humans) are more favored than angels. He was jealous of us that is why he rebelled.

No it's not more than a book, it's like saying Harry Potter is not more than a book. It is a book and nothing more.

I have read the bible and I've also read Fairy tales their almost the same thing.

What's your definition of strong?

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Yeah, I covered this in my own contemplation of my acceptance of Agnosticism.

I thought, "Oh, what if this is just the Devil tricking me and I'm going to go to hell...?"

Then the older I grew, the more it just seemed to me like a fairy tale. You learn that a lot of the church and it's rules were manipulated by people in power like the pope to make things favorable to him-- that women in the bible were kept down and passages and whole books emitted because it didn't suit THEIR image of what Christianity should be. People like the WBC being intolerant to homosexuals who are decent hard working people in most cases.

I started to think, why am I just swallowing everything I'm being fed? Who's to say my God isn't any more real than my friend's God?

Why would God send good people to Hell just for not believing in Him? Or hate homosexual people? Or good people of other beliefs?

I don't want to believe in a God like that. That's what I decided. Then I did research on the true origins of the bible and the rituals and rules established by the catholic church.

I came into my own decision. And i love that I was able to do so. That's why, if you believe in God, I hope you do so because you chose to and not because that's just how you were raised. Because if you chose your belief, you'll know where I'm coming from.

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Evolution: Dinosaurs, Micro-Evolution, Gene Theory.........

Religion: God said....

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzik View Post
    If you believe in God you'll know the devil and his tricks?

Satan doesn't hate God. He hates humans supposedly because we(humans) are more favored than angels. He was jealous of us that is why he rebelled.

No it's not more than a book, it's like saying Harry Potter is not more than a book. It is a book and nothing more.

I have read the bible and I've also read Fairy tales their almost the same thing.

What's your definition of strong?
    beware satans trickery

beware...

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by uchiha paulsama View Post
    beware satans trickery

beware...
    Satan and God are two sides to the same coin.

Have you guys noticed that Satan doesn't directly do evil.

Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rules of Acquisition #15.
    Acting stupid is often smart.

if i say Zeus is the real god. can you prove he doesn't?? its as equally believable as god with winged men who serve him and live in some invisible place.

Status
    Feb 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amanwithnoplan View Post
    You want an atheist/agnostic person to, with an open minded, try giving religion a shot? That's fine. Fair enough.
    Yet you refuse to do try being atheistic/agnostic with an open mind? You are so sure that they might are wrong, why don't you try it.

And what were the rules you had troubles with? How did you reconcile them?
    I was raised Catholic and would like to hear.
    did you understand? there would be a consequence for me to just stop believing in God, to put it short. I can't TRY being an atheism, lol. but there are no consequences to stop being an atheist really.

my family didn't really have a religion, but they intended catholic churches more than anything, I didn't think it was right to have a man forgive you for your sins, I searched the bible and concluded that it was wrong, ONLY God can forgive, I also thought it was weird to pray to statues. I found this to be wrong as well. the catholic religion alone almost made me stop, but I searched for myself.

some of the other things were regular stuff, like I didn't really honor my parents or lied heck of a lot, but all that has changed. yeah, I use to be trouble

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I saw this Philosorapter picture that said "If the Devil punishes bad people, doesn't that make him a good guy...?"

Of course, there's a little misinformation about the Devil's actual role according to the bible, but it still made me lol. xD

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

trickery is the perfect word. satan works in all sorts of ways. they all lead to no good.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Myobokuzan or die.

did you understand? there would be a consequence for me to just stop believing in God, to put it short. I can't TRY being an atheism, lol. but there are no consequences to stop being an atheist really.

my family didn't really have a religion, but they intended catholic churches more than anything, I didn't think it was right to have a man forgive you for your sins, I searched the bible and concluded that it was wrong, ONLY God can forgive, I also thought it was weird to pray to statues. I found this to be wrong as well. the catholic religion alone almost made me stop, but I searched for myself.

some of the other things were regular stuff, like I didn't really honor my parents or lied heck of a lot, but all that has changed. yeah, I use to be trouble
    Try to put yourself in an atheists shoes. Being IGNORANT, is one of the reasons people are bashing you.

Last edited by Hyperion; 10-30-2011 at 04:19 AM.

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

There are many consequences to being religious.
    You judge people based on appearance,manners, sexual orientation ,even race(Israelites were better than everybody else according to the bible) and beliefs. You guys become so close minded that as you put it
    I can't TRY being an atheism, lol.
    you can't even attempt to look at something from another persons point of view.

Status
    May 2011
    On the pavement thinking about the government.
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I saw this Philosorapter picture that said "If the Devil punishes bad people, doesn't that make him a good guy...?"

Of course, there's a little misinformation about the Devil's actual role according to the bible, but it still made me lol. xD

This is data gathered from the Bible.

So...who's the worse of the two?

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I can say I did the same....

me, being a CHRISTIAN is not done by blind faith...

I researched... understands every possible religion and even the stands of atheist.. but i find my own path...

MAN chooses what he believes in... It's not necessarily saying it's the right path... but it's standing up to that... not shoving it to other's people's throat but having the guts to understand where they were coming from... and from that you choose where you belong..

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by uchiha paulsama View Post

trickery is the perfect word. satan works in all sorts of ways. they all lead to no good.
    LOL no.
    Satan doesn't kill people only tells them "lies" take a look at Adam and eve story Satan basically trolled eve to the point were she gave in who's more evil in that situation Satan for telling her to do something she knew she was wrong or Eve the first Female believer and second person to talk to God(she knew of Gods "power" because she witnessed it first hand) who did it?

Doesn't lead to good? Wrong again. You would consider the latest Ipad, the catholic church, the Pope, Medicine, Jesus to be good but they all came as a result of Satan.

All in all Satan is responsible for the clothes you wear,the house you live in,the bible you read.

Last edited by Swizzik; 10-30-2011 at 04:21 AM.

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ask not for lighter burdens,
    but for broader shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by uzumakikenshin View Post
    I can say I did the same....

me, being a CHRISTIAN is not done by blind faith...

I researched... understands every possible religion and even the stands of atheist.. but i find my own path...

MAN chooses what he believes in... It's not necessarily saying it's the right path... but it's standing up to that... not shoving it to other's people's throat but having the guts to understand where they were coming from... and from that you choose where you belong..
    I sincerely doubt you understand every possible religion out there.