Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
    Original Akatsuki Member Dragonfly X's Avatar
    Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Underage Drinking

This is a thread about underage drinking and if it is ok. It encompasses more than that though. All the issues, no bringing drugs into it though. That's a whole separate issue. Though I am 99.99 percent sure this has been made before, I am also 99.99 percent sure it hasn't been made in the last month. Asking this cause I just got served a drink by my mom [I am 17]. But I am by no means an alcoholic or a drug addict. But some people I know are, and they started to drink earlier than me. I am also not condoning underage drinking.drug use. What are your thoughts, opinions, reasonings?

Status
    Oct 2008
    in Nyanmaru's pants. She bought me some pants O_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Underage Drinking

I see no reason why it's wrong. Underage drinking is fine. I don't drink alcoholic beverages though.

It's when you drink too much that's when the issue changes.

Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't trust people who don't
    like Rock Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Faceless View Post
    I see no reason why it's wrong. Underage drinking is fine. I don't drink alcoholic beverages though.

Pretty much what Faceless said.^^

Status
    Sep 2011
    In the craters of the great Mt. Haleakala
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marinating beef..... O_O

I don't believe it is wrong. As long as it's for an occasion. (Any kind of family gathering birthday's, reunion etc.)
    I have been drinking since I was 10 ( I lived in Philippines at the time)
    But honestly I wouldn't call my self an alcoholic. I am a social drinker, and like to get drunk and bond with my family. It was a way for use to loosen up around each other and really express our feeling's. Made us closer in the long run.
    BTW I am 21 now and inebriated at the moment due to the fact it was my sister's birthday.

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ask not for lighter burdens,
    but for broader shoulders.

Considering there is no federal drinking age in the US, states could decide what age is appropriate. But the federal government bribes them out with money for roads, so all states established the 21 years of age law.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

well form me it's okay when you reach the age of 16 i guess...

honestly I started drinking when I was 12.. served by my aunts and cousins...

and I am not an alcoholic... so form me it is okay...

wow.... debates are everywhere..

Status
    Oct 2008
    in Nyanmaru's pants. She bought me some pants O_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by uzumakikenshin View Post

When religion is being debated, you can know for sure that the less controversial
    debates would come too ^_^

UCHIHA: THE DEMON HUNTER Uchiha Paulsama's Avatar
    Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bushido Lifestyle

i dont think its wrong, just dont abuse it like faceless said, but its also a risk in itself, because people handle things in different ways, some may become an alcoholic some may not care for it much.

usually someone becomes an alcoholic because they think thats the way they can solve there probs, but it makes it worse.

im only 20 lol but when i do drink, i become like rock lee when he battled kimmi

literally, i pop fireworks during winter, ( i do that drunk or not lol)

i challenge any and everyone to spar!

i burst random words but i always no my limit, i watch myself from getting to drunk and i only drink sometimes. maybe five to eight times a year. i dont really like it.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

When religion is being debated, you can know for sure that the less controversial
    debates would come too ^_^

yeah.. i guess you are right...and it's alright to have this at times...

Quote Originally Posted by uchiha paulsama View Post
    i dont think its wrong, just dont abuse it like faceless said, but its also a risk in itself, because people handle things in different ways, some may become an alcoholic some may not care for it much.

usually someone becomes an alcoholic because they think thats the way they can solve there probs, but it makes it worse.

im only 20 lol but when i do drink, i become like rock lee when he battled kimmi

literally, i pop fireworks during winter, ( i do that drunk or not lol)

i challenge any and everyone to spar!

i burst random words but i always no my limit, i watch myself from getting to drunk and i only drink sometimes. maybe five to eight times a year. i dont really like it.

cool!!!!

and so we can safely say that the age is not the issue here i guess... but it is how people would manage their drinking issues i guess...

Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the fact that the best
    character in Bakuman is based
    on Eiichiro Oda

why not if you drink a drink or two once in a while it doesnt mean youre an alcoholic

Banned
    Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I'm 14 and, I drink and, get high sometimes but that's only at Senior parties...

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianmike View Post
    I don't believe it is wrong. As long as it's for an occasion. (Any kind of family gathering birthday's, reunion etc.)
    I have been drinking since I was 10 ( I lived in Philippines at the time)
    But honestly I wouldn't call my self an alcoholic. I am a social drinker, and like to get drunk and bond with my family. It was a way for use to loosen up around each other and really express our feeling's. Made us closer in the long run.
    BTW I am 21 now and inebriated at the moment due to the fact it was my sister's birthday.

Really, no offence at all, but from Finnish point of view what you say is wierd. In here, practically no one doesn't drink just for occasion or a few drinks now and then. Here teen usually start at age of 15-16 drinking booze, their aim to get drunk. Now I'm not proud of that but what I and you are talking about are to completely different things.

So there no wrong at all what you guys are saying, a little bit of wrong in my coyntry's case, but I'm not judging it completely as I have done it since teen and still doing it. Am I alcoholic'? Hell no. That brings me to the next point:

Quote Originally Posted by Algalon View Post
    why not if you drink a drink or two once in a while it doesnt mean youre an alcoholic
    ^this. In NB you shouldn't even talk about alcoholism when you talk about underrage/young adults drinking. As few have mentioned the word 'alcoholism' but really there's more to it than gettin wasted 4 times a month. Don't use the word too easily if you even aren't a normal partier.

But as long the drinking doesn't affect to your school, working etc and you're not under 16..it's fine to get wasted and enjoy life.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    Really, no offence at all, but from Finnish point of view what you say is wierd. In here, practically no one doesn't drink just for occasion or a few drinks now and then. Here teen usually start at age of 15-16 drinking booze, their aim to get drunk. Now I'm not proud of that but what I and you are talking about are to completely different things.

So there no wrong at all what you guys are saying, a little bit of wrong in my coyntry's case, but I'm not judging it completely as I have done it since teen and still doing it. Am I alcoholic'? Hell no. That brings me to the next point:

^this. In NB you shouldn't even talk about alcoholism when you talk about underrage/young adults drinking. As few have mentioned the word 'alcoholism' but really there's more to it than gettin wasted 4 times a month. Don't use the word too easily if you even aren't a normal partier.

But as long the drinking doesn't affect to your school, working etc and you're not under 16..it's fine to get wasted and enjoy life.

what is your exact point in there my friend?

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

what is your exact point in there my friend?
    That when we talk about underage drinking we should make a difference on drinking and TRULY drinking (getting wasted). 'Cause totally two different things

And the second point is that people should not include alcoholism in this thread. I can guarentee there's not a single alcoholic here in NB.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

That when we talk about underage drinking we should make a difference on drinking and TRULY drinking (getting wasted). 'Cause totally two different things

And the second point is that people should not include alcoholism in this thread. I can guarentee there's not a single alcoholic here in NB.

okay.. in my point of view.. when the thread starter asked his questions... I perceived that he is asking if underage drinking must be allowed or the like and since he also said that his mom served him a drink by the age of 17... and that's where i based my answer... for me it's ok to taste an alcohol at a young age (since i started at 12 and hell yeah... I was wasted at my first attempt to drink) but i preferred it to be started at the age of 16 ideally if we are talking about getting wasted...

and on the second one.... ALCOHOLISM have different levels per se... it varies on how much a person gotten himself to be dependent on alcohol...so I cant guarantee if there is or if there is no one who is alcoholic here...

Last edited by uzumakikenshin; 10-30-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Myobokuzan or die.

I drink, started at 15.
    I heard the Irish start at birth kekeke

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

okay.. in my point of view.. when the thread starter asked his questions... I perceived that he is asking if underage drinking must be allowed or the like and since he also said that his mom served him a drink by the age of 17... and that's where i based my answer... for me it's ok to taste an alcohol at a young age (since i started at 12 and hell yeah... I was wasted at my first attempt to drink) but i preferred it to be started at the age of 16 ideally if we are talking about getting wasted...

and on the second one.... ALCOHOLISM have different levels per se... it varies on how much a person gotten himself to be dependent on alcohol...so I cant guarantee if there is or if there is no one who is alcoholic here...
    Yeah good points.

I think the meaning of alcoholic is defined as in a person who drinks every day. Carries booze in his pocket. Starts drinking first thing in the morning. Takes it to work with him. Is truly dependant.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Yeah good points.

I think the meaning of alcoholic is defined as in a person who drinks every day. Carries booze in his pocket. Starts drinking first thing in the morning. Takes it to work with him. Is truly dependant.
    yeah... that's really alcohol dependence or alcohol abuse... depending on the drinkers intention... and its sad to say that it can incline people to commit crimes or more so ever to destroy themselves

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

yeah... that's really alcohol dependence or alcohol abuse... depending on the drinkers intention... and its sad to say that it can incline people to commit crimes or more so ever to destroy themselves
    true. And the wors part is, it's usually inherited and in the genes of the family. My dad and grandmother were alcoholics and I am used to drink alot. It gots worse sometimes but I truly sometimes wonder the fact that I have the "gene" of it in my family.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

true. And the wors part is, it's usually inherited and in the genes of the family. My dad and grandmother were alcoholics and I am used to drink alot. It gots worse sometimes but I truly sometimes wonder the fact that I have the "gene" of it in my family.

actually if i remember it right... genes can boost a person's level of alcoholism.. but for me... aside from our own thinking... social factors really contribute a lot... for example if i was raise in a family where alcohol is not a big deal then it will lead me to be expose to such early age drinking not just for social occasions... and it will be strengthen by what we call peer pressure.. but definitely at the end of the day...we are still the one to decide whether to be dependent on it or not... but... it's not that EASY to resist.. based on my experience, if i may say

Status
    May 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    NB oldies gang

ofcourse not

overcome hatred with love ackeem1992's Avatar
    Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

i think underage drinking is wrong in every sense of the word, alcoholic and drugs only complicates things at that stage of life, i think its best to consume it when your at a mature state of mind.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

actually if i remember it right... genes can boost a person's level of alcoholism.. but for me... aside from our own thinking... social factors really contribute a lot... for example if i was raise in a family where alcohol is not a big deal then it will lead me to be expose to such early age drinking not just for social occasions... and it will be strengthen by what we call peer pressure.. but definitely at the end of the day...we are still the one to decide whether to be dependent on it or not... but... it's not that EASY to resist.. based on my experience, if i may say
    You'r exactly right, and that's based on my experience too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xentinel View Post
    ofcourse not
    meaning it isn't right?..explain?

Quote Originally Posted by ackeem1992 View Post
    i think underage drinking is wrong in every sense of the word, alcoholic and drugs only complicates things at that stage of life, i think its best to consume it when your at a mature state of mind.
    Well you're right but alcohol does bring lots of funny stuff and experiences into your life. Not only negative.

I think it's funny and interesting how cultural differences can affect ones personal opinions so much. I don't say now that necessarily this is the case here but for example I know that Ackeem is from Jamaica, and if I'm correct there's no drinking culture with youngsters going on. As generally people can have fun without alcohol am I right?..

That's not usually the case in Finland where people tend to drink just to get into the mood or be comfortable in social situations. So I know very few finnish teens wouldn't say underage drinking is bad. 'Cause it's in the culture.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by pein87 View Post
    In all honesty no one has the right to tell the other what they can and can't do. Its only wrong because the society that you choose to be part of and decided to follow its rules deem it as such. Drinking to much can cause serious damage to developing children as much as it can to adults. You have to be informed first of the pros and cons. If your willing to out weight the cons to the pros then drink. Personally I don't drink because its likely you'll drink in excess and end up in all sorts of trouble. Some people can drink on occasion and handle themselves, but if your mentally unstable during the drinking it acts like a comforting device that can then lead to addiction. You then think that you need to have this in your life and end up wasting your time and money on it. Similarly to drugs you could in a sense have a time lapse where you drink for so long that when you finally stop you realize 5 or 10 or more years have passed and you can't remember what happened during that time. I know of someone(my grandfather) who has been drinking everyday for years and has to this effect literally missed out on all his grand kids and his own dads death. It wasn't until he had to go to prison for shooting someone(while drunk) that he realized he had lost nearly 30 years of his life, which to this day he can't remember what he had done during that period. I'm not advocating that its wrong, I'm advocating that you need to know the pros and cons and determine that your willing to accept any and all byproducts of your decision. You also need to know how it effects others around you. Like my grand father(who I've only ever seen 5 or 6 times in my life, I'm 24) you could lose your family, friends, home, and job as a possible side effect. Drinking in moderation is key if you decide to drink at all. I forget his name but I think it was Aristotle who said "take everything with moderation". Drink for its beneficial medical effects but for no more then that. Else your true feelings come out uninhibited by your rationality. Being drunk normally leads to problems and no one likes to be around drunks except other drunks. Keep this in mind if you decide to drink do so after being informed. I know peer pressure is a ***** but if your friends were really friends they wouldn't pressure you to do something you don't want to.
    This is a very good post and I see you are an intelligent guy.

All that's sad and true, BUT you are painting too gruesome picture on the wall about drinking. This wasn't about hardcore alcoholism. But just underage drinking in general. I myself have drunk since the age of 15 and that's all because of fun and going to party. And I remember practically all of it.

So when on the other hand you are talking sense but really you are just scaring people. 'Cause those examples are the extreme ones.

Last edited by Hawker; 10-30-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by pein87 View Post
    You have to know the farthest spectrum of both the positive and the negative to be able to accurately make an informed decision. I said that I don't advocate against it but that you should know the best and worse case scenario. Majority of the people who drink become alcoholics and suffer from some end of the negative spectrum. My grand father's case is an extreme and its like 10% - 5% of the negative. Getting smashed one night or white boy wasted,as we call it in the hood, can lead to one forgetting what happened that night. Thats why there are so many cases where people get drunk and do stupid things and have no recollection of it the next day. Examples include sleeping with people, and criminal acts. You could just pass out and wake up with doodles on your face like my aunt did when she got smashed. That is why I preached about drinking in moderation. In some sense your body becomes unable to record memory correctly and is unable to tell the blur from reality. I've suffered myself from alcohol poisoning and nearly died from it. Its is so much more then just missing life there are higher rates of death due to alcohol consumption and higher rates of violence as well. Once I quit I wondered why I ever started, you could perform a self induced placebo effect and not suffer any bodily harm. Even causally drinking strong liquor will damage your kidneys, and liver eventually. As an elder here I want to make sure the future generation here is aware that drinking is ok but in moderation. If can effect those who are barely undergoing puberty and cause hormonal disturbances. Its my job as a first generation NB member to teach the current generation, as it the same in real life as well. I don't see any good in drinking besides the medical. Majority of the things you do drunk are half assed and not near your performance without drinking. Aside from its medical benefits(hops based beers and grape wines) it has no actual bright side. Its more or less an excuse to do dumb things or to party. You can have just as much fun a time or better without it. However I nor does anyone else have the power to tell you not to do it. The only power I have is to help give you the details which will allow you to decide for your self.
    Bolded part: not in a million years that's true. Where do you base that?

Dude, you really seem to have very bad experiences with alcohol. I never have had alcohol poisoning and I usually get really wasted on weekends, like 12-13 beers + drinks. You really are putting "getting wasted on weekends" at a bad light.

Some of your examples are positive and funny though although you may not think so, sleeping with people and waking up with doodles on your face. lol, what's wrong with that?

But seriously, I don't know exactly in which kind of enviroment you have grown up, put dont generalise drinking to that shit. It's not so bad as you make it seem. It's natural part of any fun loving youngsters life.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»