Page 2 of 2 « First 12
    Status
    Aug 2011
    This user has no status.

Re: Underage Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly X View Post
    This is a thread about underage drinking and if it is ok. It encompasses more than that though. All the issues, no bringing drugs into it though. That's a whole separate issue. Though I am 99.99 percent sure this has been made before, I am also 99.99 percent sure it hasn't been made in the last month. Asking this cause I just got served a drink by my mom [I am 17]. But I am by no means an alcoholic or a drug addict. But some people I know are, and they started to drink earlier than me. I am also not condoning underage drinking.drug use. What are your thoughts, opinions, reasonings?

for starters how are you going to try to make a thread based on substance abuse and not have drugs in it it is an issue that ingrains just as deeply as alchoholism why because alchohol is legal
    drugs are legal you cant get them from the doctor or your medicine cabinet doctors are some of the worst drug dealers in the world i can go through anyones medicine cabinet and find something that will eff you up

so you cant light a fire and say that it cant be hot
    on the topic of underage drinking it happens and would happen with or without alchohol even being legal in society
    the amount of pressure that north americans put on abstinence and substance abuse awareness is just a bunch of scare stactics by making it taboo you make it more attractive like i never would have smoked a ciggerette if somebody didnt tell me it were going to make me explode and it builds up from that. its like in chicago where handguns are illegal do you think people cant get them? using things to make you feel differently is almost primal and is prevalent in not just our species but in others as well monkies will go and eat fermented grain in the fields to get drunk and tigers roll around in catnip in the jungle drugs have been used in ceremonies since e first ate a mushroom and looked up at the sky and thought maybe a man lives up there not to mention opium that has been around for centuries the turks used to eat poppy pods in their salad for dinner and hashish is part of many religious practices. my main point is as humans we try to detach ourselves so much from what we call savage that we make it worse. you can see it in all aspects of our life most prevalent in military technology. instead of killing ten with a wooden club we now kill a million with the push of a button now tell me is that real progress?

overcome hatred with love ackeem1992's Avatar
    Status
    Mar 2011
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    Well you're right but alcohol does bring lots of funny stuff and experiences into your life. Not only negative.

I think it's funny and interesting how cultural differences can affect ones personal opinions so much. I don't say now that necessarily this is the case here but for example I know that Ackeem is from Jamaica, and if I'm correct there's no drinking culture with youngsters going on. As generally people can have fun without alcohol am I right?..

That's not usually the case in Finland where people tend to drink just to get into the mood or be comfortable in social situations. So I know very few finnish teens wouldn't say underage drinking is bad. 'Cause it's in the culture.
    at the bold yeah that is true, and to add to your logic marijuana consumption down here is very high. first world countries such as the US, Uk and etc view marijuana as a drug that kill brain cells and ruin lives, down here most people/teens view it as a natural herb, that is use for meditation, thus it is consume with very little fear of repercussions.

Status
    Jul 2011
    This user has no status.

Underage Drinking Can be a problem.

Some (not all) Underage drinkers Think its cool and are to immature to know how to Drink sensibly and tend to show off when drunk. Being it Having harmless fun or turning to acts of violence. While it is true that the majority Give "Drinking" a bad name.

I do not have a problem with underage people Drinking in the company of sensible adults [as an example, A family Get togeather, Weddings, Partys]

Also i wouldn't be suprised to learn how many Underage teens become parents because of Drinking to much

My Father is/was alcoholic, A violent type at that, And has been all my life But he also started Drinkin at a Young age (13), So i know Frist hand how a "innocent" little drink can spiral out of controll and Destroy Familys/Friendships and so on.

personally i only drink on special occasions, Xmas,halloween,Birthday partys, Weddings and so on. and i didn't even touch a drink till i was 16.

Status
    Apr 2011
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Exaar View Post
    Underage Drinking Can be a problem.

Some (not all) Underage drinkers Think its cool and are to immature to know how to Drink sensibly and tend to show off when drunk. Being it Having harmless fun or turning to acts of violence. While it is true that the majority Give "Drinking" a bad name.

I do not have a problem with underage people Drinking in the company of sensible adults [as an example, A family Get togeather, Weddings, Partys]

Also i wouldn't be suprised to learn how many Underage teens become parents because of Drinking to much

My Father is/was alcoholic, A violent type at that, And has been all my life But he also started Drinkin at a Young age (13), So i know Frist hand how a "innocent" little drink can spiral out of controll and Destroy Familys/Friendships and so on.

personally i only drink on special occasions, Xmas,halloween,Birthday partys, Weddings and so on. and i didn't even touch a drink till i was 16.
    "in the company of sensible adults"..man gotta say that sounds so lame..partying is always awesome...you're only seeing the bad sides of it

Status
    This user has no status.

if you would think about it.. the damages, the effects and the pros and the cons are not dependent on what age you have started drinking alcohol... If a man started at 12 but he never let himself get drunk (a few bottles are enough, social drinking per se) then i dont think it would be that bad.. but if a man whether he started drinking at the age of 10, 15, 40 if he always drinks to get wasted then it would be that bad... that's when alcohol dependence or abuse will take it's place...

so what now? it doesn't matter when you will start drinking.. it's the matter of how much and how often you drink... and what are your intentions...

so if you cannot handle alcohol whether what age bracket you belong to then it's not good for you...

but if you drink just for social drinking and it doesn't give big troubles then i think it's fine...

it's not a matter of age...

Status
    Jul 2011
    Jaman Jama

I for one say it shuld be atleast 18. that shuld be the mature age anyways
    not like ppl listen to the 21+ rule anyways

most ppl ik in middle skool was drinkn
    smh

Academy Student
    Status
    Oct 2011
    This user has no status.

ok what are you trying to ask? Im 17 and I drink practically every weekend Grey Goose and Belvedere only though

Status
    Apr 2011
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by pein87 View Post
    Life is not some game. It only takes one time to ruin yours or someone else's life. I'm not painting anything in a bad light, drinking has serious consequences and is addictive. People use it as an excuse to do something reckless. Not all people act stupid when they drink and those people have a tolerance for it. It is not only about the effects that it has on your body but it can be a burden financially. You have to think about the future, when your in your 30's and 40's you'll notice the damage that drinking has caused to your body. I personally try to not be held down to anything. Regardless of what you think kicking the habit is not easy and in most cases you never quit. Drinking is not wrong it's when you do it in excess is when it can ripple out to others. If you drink yourself stupid or drink till your organs fail that only effects you. When you get drunk and do dumb stuff that effects others. Granted you lover, kids, friends, or parents might be mad at you if you drink yourself stupid or to organ failure it only effects them emotionally and not physically. My point is you need to be informed and accept all the risks before you engage in drinking. While right now its fun, when the consequences of giving your body a toxin set in will see if you truly accept the risks that came with it. I'd rather die from an accident or old age then by my own hand. Life can be so much more better in the future if you don't drink. Thats the problem with kids these days they don't know how to plan for the future and only seek to live in the moment.
    That's not a problem, that's a lifestyle.

Live in the moment, I could not think of a better philosophy for my life. You never know when you're gonna die so living too carefully and thinking future all the time takes the fun out of life.

Just enjoy life man and don't think about the future so much, that's my advice.

ps. your right about the serious consequenses but again you only focus on the negative part. Most of people party without those kind of problems.

Page 2 of 2 « First 12