Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member Hawker's Avatar
    Status
    Hawker is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    in sin city, as a lost soul
    Posts
    3,029
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    It's the little things

    I came across this old video just awhile ago:



    It's a dark, superficial and greedy world. This vide is the opposite: I think that's a brilliant example of what good people can do if they really want to break their daily routines and boundaries.

    Many of us are sitting behind our computers and blaming a lot of people for the bad things happening in this world but how many of you have the courage to do something like this?...You know 'cause it's those little things that can when encouraged grow into bigger things and effect alot of people.

    Sometimes people are just too selfish to do anything like that, but the truth is if we all live in this world then we all can make a difference and that's what that Juan is making. Although it's just a hug, I think it sends a great message. I haven't never done anything like that, but if I would, I would be damn proud of myself.


    So what are the little things that you have encountered that have affected in your life in a positive way? And what would you do to make people in this society feel a bit happier?
     
         
    Last edited by Hawker; 12-05-2011 at 06:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Remember the name wallie20's Avatar
    Status
    wallie20 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The new world
    Posts
    381
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    The ppl that do this are awesome :D.
    We live in a society that's too much focused on material things. I feel like my life has already been planned: Study--->Get a job---->retirement at the age of 65... (yes they raised it again)--->death..
    I don't understand the people who have 100 billion dollars and don't decide to use all that money to help others, I know that they worked their asses off for the status and everyting but they should realize how many ppl they could help by just giving a little.
     
         

  3. #3
    Senior Member Hawker's Avatar
    Status
    Hawker is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    in sin city, as a lost soul
    Posts
    3,029
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    Quote Originally Posted by wallie20 View Post
    The ppl that do this are awesome :D.
    We live in a society that's too much focused on material things. I feel like my life has already been planned: Study--->Get a job---->retirement at the age of 65... (yes they raised it again)--->death..
    I don't understand the people who have 100 billion dollars and don't decide to use all that money to help others, I know that they worked their asses off for the status and everyting but they should realize how many ppl they could help by just giving a little.
    I totally agree with you. But you know, thin of it this way, would you do those things it if you had 100 billion dollars?..It's just the human nature and few of us even being rich can defeat that selfish attitude and actually think about others and help them.

    But I guess people think "we have only one life, I should just make the best from it myself and as I have this money, why should I give it to someone else as no one gave it to me." It's a vicious circle and a lot of people just can't overcome those selfish desires.
     
         

  4. #4
    Remember the name wallie20's Avatar
    Status
    wallie20 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The new world
    Posts
    381
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawker;4895173[B
    ]I totally agree with you. But you know, thin of it this way, would you do those things it if you had 100 billion dollars?..It's just the human nature and few of us even being rich can defeat that selfish attitude and actually think about others and help them. [/B]

    But I guess people think "we have only one life, I should just make the best from it myself and as I have this money, why should I give it to someone else as no one gave it to me." It's a vicious circle and a lot of people just can't overcome those selfish desires.
    Yea, I've thought of that before and I think that I would because if saw a video about people starving or very unfortunate people I would feel guilty because I knew that I could do something about it.

    I agree with your point but people should realize that the world would be a awesome place if we would help eachother more and would be more social.
    Isn't it sad that people nowadays don't even have enough time/are too suspicious to give a hug?
     
         

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hawker's Avatar
    Status
    Hawker is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    in sin city, as a lost soul
    Posts
    3,029
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    Quote Originally Posted by wallie20 View Post
    Yea, I've thought of that before and I think that I would because if saw a video about people starving or very unfortunate people I would feel guilty because I knew that I could do something about it.

    I agree with your point but people should realize that the world would be a awesome place if we would help eachother more and would be more social.
    Isn't it sad that people nowadays don't even have enough time/are too suspicious to give a hug?
    All people think that way. But it's different when you actually become wealthy. Your perspective on life changes. But people are different. All I'm saying is that most rich people are selfish and most non rich people think they wouldn't be selfish if they were to become wealthy. So that's my point.

    Yeah that's the dream my bro but never gonna happen. That is sad but that is the reason why I can appreciate little things like that so much.
     
         

  6. #6
    💩<----What you are. Revyy's Avatar
    Status
    Revyy is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Second Circle of Hell.
    Posts
    4,899
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    Wonderful thread. I can agree with almost everything cept for a few things. Hawker is right. For example we look at rich people and say how greedy they are, How they squander their money and don't put it to good use..But the very moment a poor or middle class person get's money.. I can guarantee they become one of those people they used to despise. Money changes people, I'm man enough to admit Money has changed me. I grew up on the streets eating garbage, Moving from shelter to shelter. I used to look at people who had money with such disdain and resentment. How a person could take a dollar for granted, how could someone drop change and not even care.. Now look at me. I'm in the Navy I have full benefits, health care a nice paycheck and I sometimes find myself thinking when I look at someone in that situation "I'm so glad I have money now." I have a nice car, apartment..ect. A dollar now is nothing to me I spend it on stupid things I don't need that to someone else could mean the difference between a blanket in the winter or a dollar sandwich.

    So to answer your question I would help out as much as I can, I like to go to hospitals and bring sick children presents for the holidays, I try to be here for anyone that needs to talk, I have had strangers come up to me and start talking about personal things. I will never forget when I was little. I guess being in the Military I have seen too many things that have affected me in great ways.

    Money changes people, you can say it don't but until you have experienced being at the bottom and suddenly things change..then you will actually understand. Just my opinion on it.
     
         

  7. #7
    Senior Member Hawker's Avatar
    Status
    Hawker is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    in sin city, as a lost soul
    Posts
    3,029
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia4 View Post
    Wonderful thread. I can agree with almost everything cept for a few things. Hawker is right. For example we look at rich people and say how greedy they are, How they squander their money and don't put it to good use..But the very moment a poor or middle class person get's money.. I can guarantee they become one of those people they used to despise. Money changes people, I'm man enough to admit Money has changed me. I grew up on the streets eating garbage, Moving from shelter to shelter. I used to look at people who had money with such disdain and resentment. How a person could take a dollar for granted, how could someone drop change and not even care.. Now look at me. I'm in the Navy I have full benefits, health care a nice paycheck and I sometimes find myself thinking when I look at someone in that situation "I'm so glad I have money now." I have a nice car, apartment..ect. A dollar now is nothing to me I spend it on stupid things I don't need that to someone else could mean the difference between a blanket in the winter or a dollar sandwich.

    So to answer your question I would help out as much as I can, I like to go to hospitals and bring sick children presents for the holidays, I try to be here for anyone that needs to talk, I have had strangers come up to me and start talking about personal things. I will never forget when I was little. I guess being in the Military I have seen too many things that have affected me in great ways.

    Money changes people, you can say it don't but until you have experienced being at the bottom and suddenly things change..then you will actually understand. Just my opinion on it.
    Great point of view. This is what I was searching for.
    So you do agree money has changed you but you still would do all those things to help people? Is it hypothetical or will you actually do it?..I'm not judging or saying you have to do it 'cause you said so but it's an interesting topic.

    Also was there any "little things" that made it easier for you to get through your life as a kid when you were poor?
     
         

  8. #8
    💩<----What you are. Revyy's Avatar
    Status
    Revyy is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Second Circle of Hell.
    Posts
    4,899
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    Great point of view. This is what I was searching for.
    So you do agree money has changed you but you still would do all those things to help people? Is it hypothetical or will you actually do it?..I'm not judging or saying you have to do it 'cause you said so but it's an interesting topic.

    Also was there any "little things" that made it easier for you to get through your life as a kid when you were poor?
    I agree Money has changed me in many different ways, But I would still do those things not hypothetical either. I know that contradicts it's self in some ways. I do donate to children's hospitals, and around the Holidays I go to shelters and donate toys and things like that. Hope that makes sense?

    There were a few "little things". I had a friend that I met at one the shelters, she was about 15 and I was 6 she was so cool to me. Eventually someone adopted her but I remember she would always find a way to get me a little food here and there. I can say old people are some of the nicest they would take me and buy me food, or just sit and keep me company so I wasn't all alone. A few times people would help me cross the street if I needed. Just things like that.
     
         

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hawker's Avatar
    Status
    Hawker is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    in sin city, as a lost soul
    Posts
    3,029
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia4 View Post
    I agree Money has changed me in many different ways, But I would still do those things not hypothetical either. I know that contradicts it's self in some ways. I do donate to children's hospitals, and around the Holidays I go to shelters and donate toys and things like that. Hope that makes sense?

    There were a few "little things". I had a friend that I met at one the shelters, she was about 15 and I was 6 she was so cool to me. Eventually someone adopted her but I remember she would always find a way to get me a little food here and there. I can say old people are some of the nicest they would take me and buy me food, or just sit and keep me company so I wasn't all alone. A few times people would help me cross the street if I needed. Just things like that.
    I respect that. I don't know that many people who'd donate things.

    Okay, sounds that you have some nice memories from not so nice past. It's good you had glimpses of hope here and there so I think that helped you in your life somehow?...That is what I'm saying here, little things matter.
     
         

  10. #10
    UCHIHA: THE DEMON HUNTER Uchiha Paulsama's Avatar
    Status
    Uchiha Paulsama is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    on the move
    Posts
    5,998
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bushido Lifestyle
     

    Re: It's the little things

    i only had 5 dollars in my pocket with no job, but a man walked up to me and said, "can i have some change for food, im starving". i said "sure i will walk to the store with you and let you pick what you want". we get to the store, and he grabs two pieces of pizza, i told him to get a drink also. well the store owner saw my deed and told me i didnt have to pay :D


    i have done other things, but i do not like to brag on my good deeds >_>
     
         

  11. #11
    Cool Guy Swizzik's Avatar
    Status
    Swizzik is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boston,MA
    Posts
    7,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    It sounds kind of mean but I really only care about me and my family. My parents are always complaining they don't have any money so I want to help them out before I help anybody else.
     
         

  12. #12
    Heartbreak Warfare indie's Avatar
    Status
    indie is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    General Discussion Threads
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    I tried this a couple years ago with a couple of my mates just for fun after seeing images online with people holding boards that read 'Free Hugs'. I think got like twelve hugs at most, mind you this in the city where there is an average of 100+ people.

    It was fun though.

    Also, seeing that old lady hug the man was effectively heartwarming.
     
         
    Last edited by indie; 12-08-2011 at 05:46 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Hawker's Avatar
    Status
    Hawker is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    in sin city, as a lost soul
    Posts
    3,029
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    Quote Originally Posted by uchiha paulsama View Post
    i only had 5 dollars in my pocket with no job, but a man walked up to me and said, "can i have some change for food, im starving". i said "sure i will walk to the store with you and let you pick what you want". we get to the store, and he grabs two pieces of pizza, i told him to get a drink also. well the store owner saw my deed and told me i didnt have to pay :D


    i have done other things, but i do not like to brag on my good deeds >_>
    That was nice to hear and I'm glad there are people like you around. Respect to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzik View Post
    It sounds kind of mean but I really only care about me and my family. My parents are always complaining they don't have any money so I want to help them out before I help anybody else.
    Really nothing wrong with that, as you must be underraged so you're in a different position as someone who goes to work and doesn't live with their parents.

    Quote Originally Posted by indie View Post
    I tried this a couple years ago with a couple of my mates just for fun after seeing images online with people holding boards that read 'Free Hugs'. I think got like twelve hugs at most, mind you this in the city where there is an average of 100+ people.

    It was fun though.

    Also, seeing that old lady hug the man was effectively heartwarming.
    Nice!..So you got people to be happy or at least smiling?
     
         
    Last edited by Hawker; 12-08-2011 at 06:08 PM.

  14. #14
    Heartbreak Warfare indie's Avatar
    Status
    indie is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    General Discussion Threads
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    Nice!..So you got people to be happy or at least smiling?
    Indeed, I did get a few smiles [The ones I hugged] and some unnerving looks [Mostly middle aged men and woman]. It was a wonderful experience nonetheless.

    @Uchiha Paulsama: Respectable deed. I approve.
     
         

  15. #15
    Senior Member Hawker's Avatar
    Status
    Hawker is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    in sin city, as a lost soul
    Posts
    3,029
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: It's the little things

    Quote Originally Posted by indie View Post
    Indeed, I did get a few smiles [The ones I hugged] and some unnerving looks [Mostly middle aged men and woman]. It was a wonderful experience nonetheless.
    nice, keep the spirit up!
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •