View Poll Results: How was July 2016's Fanfiction Contest?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome: Don't change a thing. You're a God Reborn

3 42.86%
  • Good: Maybe a thing or two, but pretty good.

1 14.29%
  • Alright: With some work it could get there

3 42.86%
  • Bad: Didn't work for me, definately has to change

0 0%
  • Terrible: You suck at this Reborn stick to RP.

0 0%
    Status
    Aug 2010
    Do nothing and yet nothing is
    left undone

Fanfiction Contest Discussion[July 2016]

All of you who participated in July's contest, either as participants, voters, or simply just watching events turn out please vote in the poll how you believe this new scheme went and how you feel about the way I went about judging the contest. For brief context; July 2016's Fanfiction Contest was revamped such that a single judge was in charge of reading and judging each FF to determine the winner. A poll was created to allow people the opportunity to vote for their own personal favorites, though without any other reward being given to the winner of the poll aside from that. As well, instead of entering three fanfiction chapters, the entry criteria was cut down to 1 and only 1 chapter entries to not overwhelm the judge. In this beta I was the judge and I personally decided to give written reviews of every contest entry based on the criteria that was laid out for the contest. To see my decisions look below. To see the criteria and contest rules see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    The Rise of Chakra Review

OMG Finally done!! Now for the Reveal.

Starting with the fan favorite, since it really holds no relevance to anything TASM can keep the fan favorite. I didn't have time to cast my vote before the poll closed, but personally my favorites was Omega's story.

Winners:

I have selected three winners according to the rules, however that was because we started out with 6 people originally and have only just had a disqualification. I don't like giving more than 1 or 2 places if we are less than a total of 6 people so in the future I will be selecting 2 winners if there are five participants and only 1 winner if there are less than if there are less than 5. This is as far as medals go.

First Place: Omega
    I was impressed beyond with Omega's premise beyond anybody else's. I don't fault anybody for using Naruto or any other manga, story, etc, as the foundation for their story as long as it doesn't become a generic story. After all, there was an entry who's base world I was almost as interested about as Omega's and it was still Naruto based. Omega also wrote incredibly well such that I wasn't bothered so much reading the parts that didn't really interest me. I liked how he presented most of the characters and felt the desire to read another chapter. He had the high score by a rather significant margin based on how I graded the others.

Second Place: Chakra Wizard
    Chakra has been around almost as long as I have in this section and has probably well surpassed my number of overall chapters at this point. That isn't really a factor of why he gets second place but simply his experience. CW's story was not really anymore interesting to me than most of the other entries since it is one of the ones that has the Nverse on its back. However, from what I can tell with his entry and the depth he's gone with this series it has rich plot of its own and doesn't rely on the Nverse as heavily as I've seen others in the FF section. His writing is clear and without issue for the most part and his descriptions, while technical and NB RPish in nature suffice for the type of writing he is doing. His score was the closest to Omega's while simultaneously beating out the the last place winner and other contestants by a significant margin.

3rd Place: Insane Kitty

Since we are going with a 3rd place Insane is going to take it. This could have gone to Guntherocketproject but I'll explain why Insane takes it. Of the remaining contestants Insane had the same problems as many of them in the spelling and grammar department, creativity, and detail section. What Insane does that the other two do not is actually create a tone and introduce point of conflict and potential conflict for his story. Omega does this, CW is well into the conflict of his story, so each have the potential to grasp the audience and pull them into something about their story. There is actually a plot in development that is shown that is not shown in the other candidates. At the end of the day it creates a better impact. Now then, Guntherocketproject and Insane Kitty have the same exact overall score, but the distribution of Insane's individual scores for each of the criteria, primarily for the grammar, plot, and impact are higher so he gets the W.

Post party Thread TBA
    Likewise all reviews for the participants in the contest can be found in their entry threads if you go to the voting thread and click on their entry. Just look for the wall of text.

That being said, this is a special discussion that will be attempting a few things.

1) Feedback on this revamp of the contest via poll and comments (both are apreciated)

2) Should we decide to continue in this route, deciding on future potential judges.

To elaborate on the second point. I took part as the judge for this first contest to give an example and foundation of how one should judge. I do not intend to judge every contest simply because a) it is very times consuming and as an RP mod with an incredible amount of duties in other sections + being a full time college student, I do not have the time to act as the judge for each contest. b) To maintain one judge for every contest creates a bias that I do not want people to feel frustrated about should they feel they are being discriminated against by one individual's taste. I try to be as objective as possible with the exception of the criteria that expressly calls for the judge's own enjoyment of the piece. That being said this does not mean that we need a different judge each and every single time, merely we could have some people who wouldn't mind judging from time to time. I'd do it every now and again and we could have the same people judge for one or two contests or in between.

That being said if you are interested in judging a FF contest please leave a comment and I will contact you. Doing so requires a bit of vetting since I wouldn't want somebody who doesn't really understand how to judge and review to get stuck with the job and then end up ruining the contest. That may seem arrogant of me to say but from my past experience and my status as a mod I'd like to think I can keep a level of professionalism to decide adequate judges. Also should you be selected as a judge for the next or any given contest, your identity is to be kept anonymous to everybody except me (obviously since I'm picking you). If I find out you've compromised yourself, appropriate action will be taken. Anyway, please discuss. I'll keep this thread open for a week so that we have time for the next contest.

Status
    Mar 2014
    Happiness Is Divinity

Re: Fanfiction Contest Discussion[July 2016]

I am ready to be a judge. It will improve my review skills.

Perhaps we should get two to three judges and give a combined score. That way people won't be baised.

Status
    Apr 2013
    #Omega4Kage #HateonPriestHebad
    #NWVsKonoha

Any comments I make may sound bias due to me winning, but the same can be said of anyone who feels slighted. I'll just speak my piece.

Bias: Okay so the main problem that can only come up with this is bias. Some might believe a popular vote is a more accurate display, but I disagree wholeheartedly. Anyone in the writing section knows people will often not read other ff outside their personal favorite. Even in the case with their favorite, some might still only skim the ff or vote for a username. I can't say it is a fact, but even I am guilty of this sometimes when my life is hectic. Meanwhile what has Reborn done? He has read every ff that was entered. Wow that alone makes this an improvement. How many people who vote can say that they seriously read every ff presented. He has reviewed every fanfic, and no these aren't one liners. He used the criteria for judging, which has been present since I've been here. How many voters review and vote ff's based on the criteria. The criteria itself helps against bias due to things like grammar, detail/vividness and structure Creativity, and plot are more bias, so no it isn't without personal bias but I think Reborn was pretty fair and explained in his reviews what was right and wrong with one's ff. Even if I lost, I think I could live with one man's informed opinion since I know he actually read and gave my ff a chance. Losing simply because people don't feel like giving me a chance is something that doesn't sit well with me. Plus voter turnout is low.

Reborn was pretty nice in his reviews, yet he did not bite his tongue. He didn't go into full details on everything but he wrote reviews longer than the ff's themselves. I personally find them helpful if someone wants to better their writing. It's better than just having people skim through your story and saying "awesome." I'm worried that some people might choose to give up writing after some of Reborn's frankness. Some might choose not to enter competition, but again for the first time I feel like WRITING is actually being judged. Not names, not hype, but the actual ff's are being judged. Only thing I can change is maybe add 1-2 more judges. Personally, I think it's fine as is with changing judges. I can't say I would change too much, but again I won so people might think I'm bias.

im open to judging but I wouldn't be able to enter. ;_;

Status
    Aug 2010
    left undone

Any comments from the "Alright" people in the crowd?

Status
    Dec 2009
    "A goal is not always
    meant to be reached, it often
    serves simply as something to
    aim at." - Bruce Lee

As long as we get enough participants, then this contest format in its own respect was/is probably more prestigious to win than ever before but then again, it still felt a bit beta stage (as it should be), so I gave it 4 out of 5 or whatever. As long as the contest is thriving, so will the process of things as well I imagine, and since it is easy to think of the older days with the immense popularity of this contest back then, it's probably also easier to get too demanding as well. If we land on a format that works and gets people joining for a longer period of time, and thereby stabilizing on a proper Writing contest that works out for everyone with today's time and standards (NB wise), then everything should be fine. Not sure what else to say at the moment so I'll keep it brief, mhm.

Last edited by Michael92; 08-02-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Status
    Apr 2013
    #Omega4Kage #HateonPriestHebad
    #NWVsKonoha

Do I get the cyan username. 0^0

Status
    Dec 2009
    "A goal is not always
    aim at." - Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Omegā View Post
    Do I get the cyan username. 0^0
    If it was included in the pricing list then yeah
    Going by experience, you'll have to ask (PM) one of the Admins to get it, stating which contest you won.

Status
    Aug 2010
    left undone

This poll is going to close on the 7th. From the looks of it we don't have any real objections. The lowest so far are people in the "Alright" category but I've yet to see any sort of complaints with the new format itself.

I'll bring something to the discussion table regarding the fan favorite. I had an idea of something to do in order to not diminish the value of the votes if people felt that way. Replace 3rd Place and give a "Fan Favorite"

This presents the ability for people who do not place, but are still voted well to get an aware and people don't feel as though the votes do not matter.

The downside is in the case somebody who does place ends up getting the award rather than another. If the first or second place winners are also voted the highest we get a problem where the "Fan Favorite" award would go to them as well, essentially getting them another award. If we were to simply eliminate actual placed winners from getting the award it would still undermine the voter poll since we disregard their votes for the votes of the judge and the fan vote may go to somebody who certainly didn't really reflect the voter's interest (beyond maybe a couple votes).

In most cases of the fan favorites in similar contests, people don't mind giving the second award to somebody who has also placed by means of the judge. If we implemented a fan favorite vote we'd have to do it where the highest voter gets the award regardless of whether or not the judge(s) gave them first or second. I won't relay my personal feelings on this matter until after a general consensus is reached (if anybody chimes in that is) as I don't want to sway one side or the other. This is a suggestion I came up with as a way to appears people who regularly participate in voting. If nobody chimes in I'll take that as a no and we'll just stay with the normal prize format. If enough people are interested I'll try it in this next contest.

Status
    Mar 2013
    S O P H R O S Y N E

I for one love this new scheme of grading and will actually be participating seriously in the next round. And the fan favorite clause is a good incentive as well. Overall, the FF Contest is going in a very good direction, in my opinion.

Status
    Aug 2010
    left undone

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphkiel View Post
    I for one love this new scheme of grading and will actually be participating seriously in the next round. And the fan favorite clause is a good incentive as well. Overall, the FF Contest is going in a very good direction, in my opinion.
    No to whatever permission you're going to ask me for...oh wait no jumping to conclusions.

Any other comments? if not, I'm going to start the next contest soon.

Status
    Mar 2014
    Happiness Is Divinity

What about Poetry and Short Stories. Will they be included in the contest ?

Status
    Aug 2010
    left undone

I was going to include them in this next upcoming contest unless people are vehemently against the idea and demand their own contest. That would only amount to a judge overseeing two contests, a total of 16 maximum participants. The idea of picking multiple judges for two contests sort of defeats the purpose since there's gonna be less people eligible to participate at that point. That's another issue as to why I wouldn't want two seperate contests.

If people aren't against it I'll add poems to August.

Status
    Dec 2009
    "A goal is not always
    aim at." - Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I was going to include them in this next upcoming contest unless people are vehemently against the idea and demand their own contest. That would only amount to a judge overseeing two contests, a total of 16 maximum participants. The idea of picking multiple judges for two contests sort of defeats the purpose since there's gonna be less people eligible to participate at that point. That's another issue as to why I wouldn't want two seperate contests.

If people aren't against it I'll add poems to August.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess. Let's see how it works out and then make up an opinion about it afterwards. We have to start somewhere, so why not just experiment a bit on the run to later perfect it.