Page 7 of 10 « First ... 345678910 Last»
    Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to balance work and
    school while writing in my
    spare time.

Re: FanFiction of the Month Discussion.

Looks like some good competition this month:D Uzi, Skylar, ILH, Germanicus, ...it's gonna be a good month now that Michael, S. Train, and Netsui aren't in my way

Status
    Feb 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best of the 2013 generation.

I personally like "Naruto Jounin Adventures"

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Writing some stuff... It's a
    surprise...

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin2640 View Post
    I personally like "Naruto Jounin Adventures"
    Why thank you

Status
    Mar 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bored & Hungry

how do I submit my FF and where do I submit it to?

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by VlaudFenikkusu View Post
    how do I submit my FF and where do I submit it to?
    At some point earlier in the month, Lawliet/Spaghetti will make a topic for this month's contest. We'll follow the template to register within that topic, and after all the contestants have been gathered, another thread will be made for contest voting.

This month's topic is not out as of yet.

Scratch that, it was just posted.

Last edited by Germanicus; 04-04-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Status
    Feb 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inactive

Does a fanfiction entered into the contest have to be made in the same month of said contest?

Just wandering

Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    Retirement days on the
    horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by The JuubiGod View Post
    Does a fanfiction entered into the contest have to be made in the same month of said contest?

Just wondering
    No, the chapters of your FF that you want to join in with, can be written and release at any given point, as long as they applies to the rules of participation ^_^ So they can be years old, although newer chapters often have a better chance at doing good when they've been released closer to the month of the contest.

Last edited by Michael92; 04-07-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Academy Student
    Status
    Nov 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

hey everybody. i am new to this site. (well not new by time but by the use.)
    i rarely used this site for anything other that reading the new chapters of manga.
    but now i am interested in reading fanfic. so could anyone please suggest some good naruto fanfic to me on this site. i am already writing a fanfic on a different site.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Lord is my light and my
    salvation; whom shall I fear?
    the Lord is the strength of my
    life; of whom shall I be
    afraid

Hey there newbie, click on my sig for my FF. Also look out for works by Germanicus, S. Train, TOC, Reborn, chakrawizard, Michael92(haven't personally read his tho)

Status
    Jun 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh jóia, anda cá ao ourives!
    - OMG I HADN'T SEEN THIS LOL

I have a question about the chapters I can submit. I know they have to be in order, but can I skip the initial chapter and submit other 3 chapters? Like, instead of submitting the Prologue + Ch 1 + Ch 2, go directly to Ch 3 + 4 + 5?
    Also, some of my chapters are in the same thread, do thy count as 1 chapter or 2 different chapters?

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”

Quote Originally Posted by Lili-Chwan View Post
    I have a question about the chapters I can submit. I know they have to be in order, but can I skip the initial chapter and submit other 3 chapters? Like, instead of submitting the Prologue + Ch 1 + Ch 2, go directly to Ch 3 + 4 + 5?
    Also, some of my chapters are in the same thread, do thy count as 1 chapter or 2 different chapters?
    You may post your 3 chapters into any order.

Most people post their FF from the start, because the FFotM is also a good way to promote your fanfics. And it's better that new readers get your story from the start. Also, since there's a limitation of 3 Max. chapter as per month, most writers start from the root of all the chapters. In that way, they get to take part in more months.

Your chapters aren't really judged by amount of threads. Some chapters may be in the same thread but it doesn't count as 1 chapter. Though, by principle, it's better to post a new thread for each chapter as a reader may post its thoughts/CnC/reviews for every chapter separately. Simply put, there's more space for discussion then.

As for how to submit 2 different chapters from a same thread, I suggest: Posting the 'Post' link; instead of thread link only, when making the application for FFotM.

Status
    Jun 2009
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    You may post your 3 chapters into any order.

Most people post their FF from the start, because the FFotM is also a good way to promote your fanfics. And it's better that new readers get your story from the start. Also, since there's a limitation of 3 Max. chapter as per month, most writers start from the root of all the chapters. In that way, they get to take part in more months.

Your chapters aren't really judged by amount of threads. Some chapters may be in the same thread but it doesn't count as 1 chapter. Though, by principle, it's better to post a new thread for each chapter as a reader may post its thoughts/CnC/reviews for every chapter separately. Simply put, there's more space for discussion then.

As for how to submit 2 different chapters from a same thread, I suggest: Posting the 'Post' link; instead of thread link only, when making the application for FFotM.
    Thank you, very detailed, I appreciate it

Status
    Mar 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Hmmm, should I try this someday? who knows

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hinata and Karin will become
    new so6p's! XD

I will try for next month! (I know I won't win, but still....
    scr*w that Imma try till I win!!!!!!!)

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    you were so close.

Why do I never get a chance to post in the submission thread? Lawliet posted the thread in my timezone at about 4:30 and closed it later on at 8:00 or a little past that. I was asleep that whole time so that's kind of unfair xD

Previous username: Yama Pleiades's Avatar
    Status
    Feb 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't judge my replies or my
    persona, constructed from the
    vibe and perceptions my avatar
    gives you. The contents of my
    reply doesn't represent the
    character in my ava (despite
    its origins), they represent
    the human behind the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kages View Post
    Why do I never get a chance to post in the submission thread? Lawliet posted the thread in my timezone at about 4:30 and closed it later on at 8:00 or a little past that. I was asleep that whole time so that's kind of unfair xD

Yeah that's because of timezone differences, and if you're asking why it was closed so quickly, because she normally only allows about 8 submissions, and closes it afterwards. So the reason why it was closed so quickly is becase of the amount of submissions. In fact, I won't be surprised if I don't make it into the voting thread (Though I did post mine before 2-3 people got theirs in, I think Escorpiius got me by a few seconds, because it wasn't finished when I entered the thread :P). I stayed up until a little past 5am, I saw Lawliet on at about 4 and I was like Then she logged off and I was like Then I went to sleep and when I woke up, I saw the thread wad made roughly two hours after I went sleep and I was like

Oh well, no one to blame. Darn timezones.

Last edited by Pleiades; 07-02-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    you were so close.

Quote Originally Posted by -Yami- View Post
    Yeah that's because of timezone differences, and if you're asking why it was closed so quickly, because she normally only allows about 8 submissions, and closes it afterwards. So the reason why it was closed so quickly is becase of the amount of submissions. In fact, I won't be surprised if I don't make it into the voting thread (Though I did post mine before 2-3 people got theirs in, I think Escorpiius got me by a few seconds, because it wasn't finished when I entered the thread :P). I stayed up until a little past 5am, I saw Lawliet on at about 4 and I was like Then she logged off and I was like Then I went to sleep and when I woke up, I saw the thread wad made roughly two hours after I went sleep and I was like

Oh well, no one to blame. Darn timezones.
    Oh yeah I forgot about the 8 submissions thing xD Still though, those darn timezones

Status
    Jun 2009
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if it's any consolation, I'd be 7th, but I forgot to put the ~I wish to take part~ part, so I'm not sure mine will be counted as a legit submission...

Previous username: Yama Pleiades's Avatar
    Status
    Feb 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't judge my replies or my
    persona, constructed from the
    vibe and perceptions my avatar
    gives you. The contents of my
    reply doesn't represent the
    character in my ava (despite
    its origins), they represent
    the human behind the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lili-Chwan View Post
    Well if it's any consolation, I'd be 7th, but I forgot to put the ~I wish to take part~ part, so I'm not sure mine will be counted as a legit submission...
    Yours will definitely be counted. Besides, Winter Savior didn't do it last month either, and I'm sure that's not the only time someone simply forgot to put it and was included in the thread anyways. xD

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    They say I 'm a troubled boy,
    just because I like to
    destroy, all the things that
    bring the idiots joy. Well,
    what's wrong with a little
    destruction?

This "8 first " rule without any restrictions is a little wrong. Basically I don't see the point in having 12 members rush for 8 the positions.

Maybe you can first open another thread, preparatory, and in it have the members who have 3 chapters ready post them. This way, some time before the submission period (which is very short lol) starts you will have an idea of how many people are going to participate. If they are let's say 9, then you can let 9 participate. If they are 10, 10. If they are 20, then you decide where to set the limit. All in all it is more practical and more dynamic this way.

I am not even participating or gonna participate ever. Just proposing something

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hinata and Karin will become
    new so6p's! XD

Hm, I hope I'd be in, I posted second, but I edited my comment later to add the third chapter.... I just really hope the host will chose me! It's my first time anyway!

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    This "8 first " rule without any restrictions is a little wrong. Basically I don't see the point in having 12 members rush for 8 the positions.

Maybe you can first open another thread, preparatory, and in it have the members who have 3 chapters ready post them. This way, some time before the submission period (which is very short lol) starts you will have an idea of how many people are going to participate. If they are let's say 9, then you can let 9 participate. If they are 10, 10. If they are 20, then you decide where to set the limit. All in all it is more practical and more dynamic this way.

I am not even participating or gonna participate ever. Just proposing something
    Before the contest was popular, it would take days for the thread to fill up and be closed. Lawliet is linnet about the entries and has had up to 10 contestants enter in a single contest. However once those spots are filled, it's her decision to close it. It would be unfair to those that entered quickly to have to wait longer for the actual voting thread to be posted because she kept it open a few days longer to gather even more people. This is why you can subscribe to certain parts of a forum and are alerted when a new thread is posted. I see your point and who's to say in an extra day or even week that there would be 20? It's a gamble and all it ends up doing is taking time away from the contest so people may not get enough time to read all the contestants works to vote fairly.

@Hikari as long as your entry was correct and all of your chapters were submitted together then there is nothing to worry about. For example, not linking a chapter in enough time before the thread was closed.

It's a race!

Last edited by ThatOneChick; 07-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    They say I 'm a troubled boy,
    just because I like to
    destroy, all the things that
    bring the idiots joy. Well,
    what's wrong with a little
    destruction?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    Before the contest was popular, it would take days for the thread to fill up and be closed. Lawliet is linnet about the entries and has had up to 10 contestants enter in a single contest. However once those spots are filled, it's her decision to close it. It would be unfair to those that entered quickly to have to wait longer for the actual voting thread to be posted because she kept it open a few days longer to gather even more people. This is why you can subscribe to certain parts of a forum and are alerted when a new thread is posted. I see your point and who's to say in an extra day or even week that there would be 20? It's a gamble and all it ends up doing is taking time away from the contest so people may not get enough time to read all the contestants works to vote fairly.

@Hikari as long as your entry was correct and all of your chapters were submitted together then there is nothing to worry about. For example, not linking a chapter in enough time before the thread was closed.

It's a race!
    Fair enough, fair enough
    Pardon the outsider's lack of experience

Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    Retirement days on the
    horizon.

Haha, I see this turned into quite a discussion =p I think I saw like 5 people stating that they were going to join this month, and they didn't make it at all xD And like Toc said, it's a bit strange how the past was compared to now. We had like 3-5 contestants every month before, stretching for 7 if there was a lot of participations, but the thing was, even with so little, only a few selected got picked for the actual contest as it wasn't a matter of number, but each FFs' quality. There could be like 5-7 posts each month, but only about 5 or 6 got chosen. That's also why each month has like "unlimited" time before the participation closes (as stated in the first post, usually around 15th-22nd of each month), when we all know it's a race and that the spots will be filled within the first hours.

I agree with Toc, but I'm also open for a change. Let's say that the Participation thread, as a rule, is open for three whole days from the day it got posted, regardless of how many chose to participate, that way, we could get a proper view of how many who would like to participate that month, and Lawliet could, instead of picking the eight first eligible ones, pick the eight ones she meant was good enough to make it to the poll. That way, we would get a better chance at making the contests, get a fair chance to participate, regardless of making it to the poll or not (like a preliminary round) and no one would complain about not getting a chance (expect for those whom chooses to complain if they don't get picked for the actual contest, guess that's bound to happen). It would also be a good way to follow the "rules" of the contest with proper Structure, grammar and punctuations, etc, and the actual poll would be more evened out and the contest would get harder - being more prestigious to win. It wouldn't just be a race to make it to the poll regardless of your FF, but judged based on your skills.

If, however, Lawliet would decide to go through with something like that, we could get as much as 20 participant posts in one month, and if she was going to choose 8-10 members to make it to the poll (or decide to extend the limit for a period of time), she would probably need help from other Staff members to choose the "right" ones. Pretty much like it was in the past, when Rei/Lawliet (depending on the period) had two other staff members help deciding.
    Extract from previous contest threads of the past;

"All submissions will be judged at first by the Staff and the best 3 or 5 of them (depending on the number of submissions) will be selected. After this, a poll will be created and all members will vote for the one they liked the most. "

PS: Some hint that I've adopted personally that may help any eager writer to make the poll!!

1: Subscribe to the FF Contest Forum.

2: Make your participation post forehand! Meaning that you already have it prepared long before the actual contest thread appear, that way you won't waste time adding links into your post! For example, I already had my participation posts for June, July and August ready in May!!

3: Learn the "timezone" of when Sara (Lawliet) usually post these threads. It's always around 11 AM - 2 PM my time, and I'm in GMT +1 (unless delayed or put up earlier/late the night before, it may happen), and it's usually within the first 4 days of the month (sometimes as late as the 6th, but not later than that), meaning that you have a basic understanding on when these threads are made.

Last edited by Michael92; 07-02-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Added a "PS"

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    Haha, I see this turned into quite a discussion =p I think I saw like 5 people stating that they were going to join this month, and they didn't make it at all xD And like Toc said, it's a bit strange how the past was compared to now. We had like 3-5 contestants every month before, stretching for 7 if there was a lot of participations, but the thing was, even with so little, only a few selected got picked for the actual contest as it wasn't a matter of number, but each FFs' quality. There could be like 5-7 posts each month, but only about 5 or 6 got chosen. That's also why each month has like "unlimited" time before the participation closes (as stated in the first post, usually around 15th-22nd of each month), when we all know it's a race and that the spots will be filled within the first hours.

I agree with Toc, but I'm also open for a change. Let's say that the Participation thread, as a rule, is open for three whole days from the day it got posted, regardless of how many chose to participate, that way, we could get a proper view of how many who would like to participate that month, and Lawliet could, instead of picking the eight first eligible ones, pick the eight ones she meant was good enough to make it to the poll. That way, we would get a better chance at making the contests, get a fair chance to participate, regardless of making it to the poll or not (like a preliminary round) and no one would complain about not getting a chance (expect for those whom chooses to complain if they don't get picked for the actual contest, guess that's bound to happen). It would also be a good way to follow the "rules" of the contest with proper Structure, grammar and punctuations, etc, and the actual poll would be more evened out and the contest would get harder - being more prestigious to win. It wouldn't just be a race to make it to the poll regardless of your FF, but judged based on your skills.

If, however, Lawliet would decide to go through with something like that, we could get as much as 20 participant posts in one month, and if she was going to choose 8-10 members to make it to the poll (or decide to extend the limit for a period of time), she would probably need help from other Staff members to choose the "right" ones. Pretty much like it was in the past, when Rei/Lawliet (depending on the period) had two other staff members help deciding.
    Extract from previous contest threads of the past;

"All submissions will be judged at first by the Staff and the best 3 or 5 of them (depending on the number of submissions) will be selected. After this, a poll will be created and all members will vote for the one they liked the most. "

PS: Some hint that I've adopted personally that may help any eager writer to make the poll!!

1: Subscribe to the FF Contest Forum.

2: Make your participation post forehand! Meaning that you already have it prepared long before the actual contest thread appear, that way you won't waste time adding links into your post! For example, I already had my participation posts for June, July and August ready in May!!

3: Learn the "timezone" of when Sara (Lawliet) usually post these threads. It's always around 11 AM - 2 PM my time, and I'm in GMT +1 (unless delayed or put up earlier/late the night before, it may happen), and it's usually within the first 4 days of the month (sometimes as late as the 6th, but not later than that), meaning that you have a basic understanding on when these threads are made.
    @ the bold, each person has a different style of writing and so on, but how would it be fair to choose like that? That could damage people's morality and then they may give up and never want to try to enter again. I agree with letting more enter, but it's up to Lawliet. However I wouldn't want others to have a say when obviously votes speak louder.