Status
    May 2013
    Where there is hatred, let me
    sow love.

Manga Colouring Discussions

Manga Coloring Discussions

This thread is made as to discuss anything related to Manga Coloring Contest as well all suggest ideas for the next contests.

Enjoy~

Status
    Mar 2011
    Waiting for life to shower me
    with awesomeness and some
    meaning.

Re: Manga Colouring Discussions

I call dibs on a freestyle contest cause I already started one project >_>

it's world domination,baby silverflash's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2012
    TALK NO JUTSU Beats all!!!!1

i like the contest.i takes lot of your time.but still,it's one CONTEST!

OLD RULES ARE easily understandable and fine.

all you can say to people is send in their original work....

Status
    Mar 2014
    nop, nop ,not gonna happen!

Me thinks that the Free style theme is fine, aswell as the themed style cont, imo i would like a themed one but (like someone all ready posted) this would reduce the subs cus not all people like that kind of a chanllenge (coloring wise)...

I would gladly join whatever the new mod would choose as long as the sub thread is up every month on time...
    and like someone posted aswell; Doing a special contest every (i dont know) 6 month just for people who have win 1th and 2nd place is a great idea.... on that cont the winner could win a premium acount or profile (if those things are still working).....

Well, those are my two cents... Thanks =)

Status
    Jun 2013
    #ClashOfClans

I think every 5 contests should be a themed one
    Ex)- Free style
    - Free style
    - Free style
    - Free style
    - Themed
    - Free style
    etc.

Status
    Jul 2010
    Damn !! so much of work :(

Seriourly, I don't get how making themed contests would help...

My approach would be to step down the difficulty level of the contest by dividing it into 2(or more) stages.
    Lets take an example.:

Stage 1
    Let everyone enter the contest with their colorings. Then the top 3 are allowed into Stage 2( as a reward of being the best of the best). And the rest of the contestants who didn't make it to the stage 2 are judged and given 1 , 2, 3rd positions of stage 1 with reduced rewards...

Stage 2
    the top contestants get to enter with new colorings and compete for the championship and ofcourse everyone gets candies here ... :P

This way, we can make sure that more people enjoy rewards ( well you gotta give candies to kids to lure them in... lol ) ... and secondly everyone gets lot of time to get ready for their next submissions....

Anyways thats my idea, not necessarily best for business...

Status
    Jul 2010
    Damn !! so much of work :(

Umm... sorry for double posting, but another idea cropped up in my mind ... lol.. :P

Another big problem due to which people tend to stay away from the contest is the very high level of competitors we have here in NB...
    One simple solution is to prohibit the top 3 to take part in the immediate next contest ( I know that's rude but thats the big idea here). Hence, the people in the next contest feel lesser pressure and will participate actively..

And everyone gets a chance to grab the candies ^_^ not just the few 5-6 top class contestants in NB.

Last edited by +PDatta+; 11-25-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Status
    Jun 2013
    #ClashOfClans

Quote Originally Posted by +PDatta+ View Post
    Umm... sorry for double posting, but another idea cropped up in my mind ... lol.. :P

Another big problem due to which people tend to stay away from the contest is the very high level of competitors we have here in NB...
    One simple solution is to prohibit the top 3 to take part in the immediate next contest ( I know that's rude but thats the big idea here). Hence, the people in the next contest feel lesser pressure and will participate actively..

And everyone gets a chance to grab the candies ^_^ not just the few 5-6 top class contestants in NB.
    Yeah but how would they get better if there is no good competition (not saying the non-top 3 would suck or anything)

Status
    May 2013
    sow love.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    I call dibs on a freestyle contest cause I already started one project >_>
    Yeah, next month will be freestyle for sure. However I want to hear for the future contests

Quote Originally Posted by Meme50 View Post
    Me thinks that the Free style theme is fine, aswell as the themed style cont, imo i would like a themed one but (like someone all ready posted) this would reduce the subs cus not all people like that kind of a chanllenge (coloring wise)...

I would gladly join whatever the new mod would choose as long as the sub thread is up every month on time...
    and like someone posted aswell; Doing a special contest every (i dont know) 6 month just for people who have win 1th and 2nd place is a great idea.... on that cont the winner could win a premium acount or profile (if those things are still working).....

Well, those are my two cents... Thanks =)
    Yeah, maybe it can be cool as to have special edition every now and then just to spice it up one could say.

Seriourly, I don't get how making themed contests would help...

My approach would be to step down the difficulty level of the contest by dividing it into 2(or more) stages.
    Lets take an example.:

Stage 1
    Let everyone enter the contest with their colorings. Then the top 3 are allowed into Stage 2( as a reward of being the best of the best). And the rest of the contestants who didn't make it to the stage 2 are judged and given 1 , 2, 3rd positions of stage 1 with reduced rewards...

Stage 2
    the top contestants get to enter with new colorings and compete for the championship and ofcourse everyone gets candies here ... :P

This way, we can make sure that more people enjoy rewards ( well you gotta give candies to kids to lure them in... lol ) ... and secondly everyone gets lot of time to get ready for their next submissions....

Anyways thats my idea, not necessarily best for business...
    The problem with that is that it would take way too much time for once particapating and keeping in mind that not every month there are quite a few submission I don't think such thing would work. As it is coloring a page takes quite a bit of time and coloring two per month would make things more complicated. Although it might seem cool I don't think such a thing could work out.

When it comes to competition and not allowing somebody to take part I disagree. I apologize but I do. It is like saying that somebody is banned from something just because they are good. It is not fair for the ones participating. Also, at least my opinion and usually how I work as when I see somebody good I always want to improve myself and better them. It is always sweeter to win against somebody good than against somebody not as good. Competition is healthy as it allows us to grow and actually aim for something. [=

Now when it comes to themed contests, did you guys have something specific in mind? I was kinda thinking of giving specific palette of colors? or specific manga from which a panel has to be colored?

Status
    Mar 2011
    Waiting for life to shower me
    with awesomeness and some
    meaning.

If you see the number of entries for this comp itself, you will understand that they are very low. So I don't think a themed comp would work because people just don't have the time to color things as per a theme.

What I suggest is if you want to do a themed contest then it is better to do it after a vacation like the christmas. Which would mean it would be only once a year. Also you can give out a special medal for this contest.

Also about the special edition contest, (like participants should have around 3 coloring medals to participate) I suggest you run it parallel to the normal monthly contest, once in a while.

Last edited by Anduril; 11-26-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Status
    Mar 2011
    O_O

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    If you see the number of entries for this comp itself, you will understand that they are very low. So I don't think a themed comp would work because people just don't have the time to color things as per a theme.

What I suggest is if you want to do a themed contest then it is better to do it after a vacation like the christmas. Which would mean it would be only once a year. Also you can give out a special medal for this contest.

Also about the special edition contest, (like participants should have around 3 coloring medals to participate) I suggest you run it parallel to the normal monthly contest, once in a while.
    You stole my idea~_~ anyway I'm with Anduril on this one, I agree with the holidays themed contest, and as I described earlier, I like the idea of an 'All star manga coloring contest' basically anyone who have won it two or three times could participate

Last edited by Elmage G Ace; 11-27-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Fire and Blood.

Well, the first thing I want to suggest is to please the change the submitting thread format. It's tasteless and it hurts my eyes . But seriously it does.

I don't think the themed version will do any good to this contest. The entries are usually low, adding a theme will limit them even more. I like the "special themes" though that can be done from times to times (just as long as it's a theme and not a specific manga page to color).
    As for the top 3 version I don't like this idea. First of all, there are many chances that not all these members would be able to participate so the entries number will be low. Secondly, such version of the contest will discourage the other members (and even the new ones) to enter the comp. in the future (unless a regular submitting thread is up at the same month).
    Generally, I think it's a bad tactic to create contests where the members need to have some "qualifications" to enter. Contests are supposed to be fun, a way to do something creative along with other members no matter the skills or awards you have.

To PDatta's 1st suggestion: Top 3 judge by who? Through a voting thread? That will take too much time. It won't be a monthly comp. anymore. Plus, most of the times there are not so many entries to even have top 3.
    To PDatta's 2nd suggestion: It's not fair to rule out members from a competition just because they are good. The point is for everyone to compete with their skills, practice makes perfect, not everyone is entering the comp. to get 1st place. So for me that's a big NO.
    To sum it up freestyle is good for me with a few occasions of special themes (like holidays etc). So since the next comp. will be up on December we can have a Christmas/New year special.

Status
    Mar 2011
    O_O

Quote Originally Posted by Aertes View Post
    Well, the first thing I want to suggest is to please the change the submitting thread format. It's tasteless and it hurts my eyes . But seriously it does.

I don't think the themed version will do any good to this contest. The entries are usually low, adding a theme will limit them even more. I like the "special themes" though that can be done from times to times (just as long as it's a theme and not a specific manga page to color).
    As for the top 3 version I don't like this idea. First of all, there are many chances that not all these members would be able to participate so the entries number will be low. Secondly, such version of the contest will discourage the other members (and even the new ones) to enter the comp. in the future (unless a regular submitting thread is up at the same month).
    Generally, I think it's a bad tactic to create contests where the members need to have some "qualifications" to enter. Contests are supposed to be fun, a way to do something creative along with other members no matter the skills or awards you have.

To PDatta's 1st suggestion: Top 3 judge by who? Through a voting thread? That will take too much time. It won't be a monthly comp. anymore. Plus, most of the times there are not so many entries to even have top 3.
    To PDatta's 2nd suggestion: It's not fair to rule out members from a competition just because they are good. The point is for everyone to compete with their skills, practice makes perfect, not everyone is entering the comp. to get 1st place. So for me that's a big NO.
    To sum it up freestyle is good for me with a few occasions of special themes (like holidays etc). So since the next comp. will be up on December we can have a Christmas/New year special.
    Actually the badass contest would make artist improve as everyone would strive to enter the contest, also the plan is to hold it and the regular contest at the same time, and since its not going to be often it wouldn't be too much stress... And who knows, it might attract the previous oldie winners

Status
    Jan 2013
    Fire and Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmage G Ace View Post
    Actually the badass contest would make artist improve as everyone would strive to enter the contest, also the plan is to hold it and the regular contest at the same time, and since its not going to be often it wouldn't be too much stress... And who knows, it might attract the previous oldie winners
    The badass contest, oh my, the testosterone
    I am cool with it just as long as it runs with the regular contest.

Status
    Mar 2011
    O_O

Oh! and I think the "Hall of fame thread needs to be seriously revamped>_>

Status
    May 2013
    sow love.

I will give some thought when it comes to special edition which would run whislt the normal contest. Also, I will revamp Hall of Fame asap.

Status
    May 2013
    sow love.

I have one questions guys, the voting period till now was 9 days. However I was thinking of changing it to 7 days voting period and 3 weeks submission period (of course if everything goes as planned). Not quite sure what you think about it? Makes it a proper monthly period.