Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 3554
    Status
    Mar 2012
    Trying to balance work and
    school while writing in my
    spare time.

Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2012]

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    Ah I haven't seen the new one but my friend recorded it so I have to go to their house to see it. ^_^

Ah I see...be honest. That's what I do with everyone's. Some people don't even read they just post. >.>
    You left already? Alright, see ya, TOC:b

So, what do you plan to do, S. Train?

The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    Ah I haven't seen the new one but my friend recorded it so I have to go to their house to see it. ^_^

Ah I see...be honest. That's what I do with everyone's. Some people don't even read they just post. >.>
    Oh, yeah, it's an old episode by now; I DVR everything and watch it weeks later sometimes.

Yeah. I guess I should. I know that's the right answer, but I don't play the "bad guy" well. Not that there's much to critique except for the fact that he posts one every five minutes it seems like then sends me a PM with the link. I'm also the "bestest friend on NB" now too....

He's switched to poetry because he doesn't have the patience to write a long story that's good. So far he's also ignored my assignment to improve his writing skills...yet he still calls me sensei. How can one be sensei when one's student won't complete an assignment?

It's just for recognition, that's why he's trying to write stuff. He wants to get better, but isn't willing to try even though he promised me he would.

Status
    Jan 2012
    Writer in Training! I have so
    much I want to write, but
    there's not enough hours in
    the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi Train View Post
    Oh, yeah, it's an old episode by now; I DVR everything and watch it weeks later sometimes.

Yeah. I guess I should. I know that's the right answer, but I don't play the "bad guy" well. Not that there's much to critique except for the fact that he posts one every five minutes it seems like then sends me a PM with the link. I'm also the "bestest friend on NB" now too....

He's switched to poetry because he doesn't have the patience to write a long story that's good. So far he's also ignored my assignment to improve his writing skills...yet he still calls me sensei. How can one be sensei when one's student won't complete an assignment?

It's just for recognition, that's why he's trying to write stuff. He wants to get better, but isn't willing to try even though he promised me he would.
    Hmm... That is tough. I'd say that if you're his Sensei, then maybe you could try to be tougher, but that's where your problem is at because he's so young. Maybe in one of his recent poems, make a list of what he needs to improve on, and tell him you want to see some improvement in his next poem? :confused: I'm not good with this type of stuff.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Quote Originally Posted by Netsui View Post
    Hmm... That is tough. I'd say that if you're his Sensei, then maybe you could try to be tougher, but that's where your problem is at because he's so young. Maybe in one of his recent poems, make a list of what he needs to improve on, and tell him you want to see some improvement in his next poem? :confused: I'm not good with this type of stuff.
    I'm tough as I think I can be with him, but maybe I can push it a little further...

Status
    Jan 2012
    the day.

I'm tough as I think I can be with him, but maybe I can push it a little further...
    . I can try reading his next poem. I'm not sure what I can criticize on a poem, as I don't know much about them. I basically ignored all poem lessons during school. :ghehe:

Last edited by Netsui; 07-23-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

. I can try reading his next poem. I'm not sure what I can criticize on a poem, as I don't know much about them. I basically ignored all poem lessons during school.
    Sure, and it's not so much that they're bad though I do see a lot of room for improvement. The problem is that he's posting poems because he can't stay focused or bother with writing more than a few lines before he's bored of it. It's also not helping that he's on a PSP or something like that, so he's not even using a real keyboard.

When I was his age, I wanted to write. I literally wrote well over 500 pages of a book and some of the stuff was actually pretty good when I came back to look at it. This is a case where someone doesn't really want to write but thinks they do. If I was completely honest with him and didn't hold back, I'd tell the poor guy to just give it up. Of course, I don't want to do that at all.

Status
    Jan 2012
    the day.

Sure, and it's not so much that they're bad though I do see a lot of room for improvement. The problem is that he's posting poems because he can't stay focused or bother with writing more than a few lines before he's bored of it. It's also not helping that he's on a PSP or something like that, so he's not even using a real keyboard.

When I was his age, I wanted to write. I literally wrote well over 500 pages of a book and some of the stuff was actually pretty good when I came back to look at it. This is a case where someone doesn't really want to write but thinks they do. If I was completely honest with him and didn't hold back, I'd tell the poor guy to just give it up. Of course, I don't want to do that at all.
    I remember those days. I really loved writing. I even finished a Sailor Moon FF, but I had to delete it to make room on my old laptop. I never hated writing, and I really loved it. I found it hard to get bored.

Does that mean he gets bored of his own poems? Sure, sometimes the beginning of FFs/OFs are boring, but they get more interesting. That's how most of them start out, because the beginning is very important. The beginning sets out the whole thing. wease:

Status
    Mar 2012
    spare time.

Well, like you just said, you see lots of room for improvement, but they're not exactly bad. That should be exactly what you tell him. He can only get so mad if you're honest with him.

Last edited by Chakra Wizard; 07-23-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

I remember those days. I really loved writing. I even finished a Sailor Moon FF, but I had to delete it to make room on my old laptop. I never hated writing, and I really loved it. I found it hard to get bored.

Does that mean he gets bored of his own poems? Sure, sometimes the beginning of FFs/OFs are boring, but they get more interesting. That's how most of them start out, because the beginning is very important. The beginning sets out the whole thing. wease:
    Right, I think he just gets bored with trying and doesn't know how to think up a good story for himself. It' not exactly easy, but it's the key part of being able to write...you must be able to think of something. Even when doing an FF and using characters from some world you still need to think of something original.

Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    Well, like you just said, you see lots of room for improvement, but they're not exactly bad. That should be exactly what you tell him. He can only get so mad if you're honest with them.
    That's a really good idea...I think I'll do that. Thanks.

Status
    Mar 2012
    spare time.

Right, I think he just gets bored with trying and doesn't know how to think up a good story for himself. It' not exactly easy, but it's the key part of being able to write...you must be able to think of something. Even when doing an FF and using characters from some world you still need to think of something original.

You're welcome:D

Status
    Jan 2012
    the day.

Yeah. The key to writing is actually thinking. At least, that's how I look at it. Because every time you write, you have to make sure it fits in with the storyline.

Status
    Mar 2012
    spare time.

Yeah. The key to writing is actually thinking. At least, that's how I look at it. Because every time you write, you have to make sure it fits in with the storyline.
    Well, it's more than just that. You have to have character development in a good story, too. You gotta make sure that the characters are moving along with the storyline, cause even if something's in order, if it's the same thing over and over, it can be just as bad.

Last edited by Chakra Wizard; 07-23-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Status
    Jan 2012
    the day.

Well, it's more than just that. You need to make sure that the characters are moving along with the storyline, too. Even if something's in order, if it's the same thing over and over, it can be just as bad.
    Yeah. The beginning also sets the characters. You must also think about the characters. :>

Status
    Mar 2012
    spare time.

Yeah. The beginning also sets the characters. You must also think about the characters. :>
    Personally, for at least some of the major characters, I prefer to think of them as extensions of myself. I always try to put some of my own attributes into those characters, that way it can be much easier to write about them, y'know

Status
    Jan 2012
    the day.

Personally, for at least some of the major characters, I prefer to think of them as extensions of myself. I always try to put some of my own attributes into those characters, that way it can be much easier to write about them, y'know
    I would try that, but instead of writing my characters like that, I try writing what I would love to be like. Since I'm quiet and shy, I try to make my characters something I'd love to be, personality wise.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

I go so far as to act out a scene if I'm having trouble. I become my character.

Kinghadouken also gave me this awesome strategy. He makes character cards for those that are original for his FF. So now I'm slowly building character cards for mine. Just basically descriptive stuff like height, weight, attitude, what they look like, what skills they have, etc.

I've almost completed Zane's profile, but I've gotten to the hard part...I don't know what he wears. I want there to be some standard clothing that memebers of the Wolfe family wear, but with some modifications. Kinda' like the shinobi almost, but I don't want there to be an icon like the headband.

Status
    Mar 2012
    spare time.

I would try that, but instead of writing my characters like that, I try writing what I would love to be like. Since I'm quiet and shy, I try to make my characters something I'd love to be, personality wise.
    That's plays a part for me, I suppose. Though, with that said, that's normally because it boils down to me writing about something I never experienced in life. One example would be saving a loved one. I've never been in such a position, but I'd like to think that I'd try to save them without regards to personal consequences that may arise, y'know.

I go so far as to act out a scene if I'm having trouble. I become my character.

Kinghadouken also gave me this awesome strategy. He makes character cards for those that are original for his FF. So now I'm slowly building character cards for mine. Just basically descriptive stuff like height, weight, attitude, what they look like, what skills they have, etc.

I've almost completed Zane's profile, but I've gotten to the hard part...I don't know what he wears. I want there to be some standard clothing that memebers of the Wolfe family wear, but with some modifications. Kinda' like the shinobi almost, but I don't want there to be an icon like the headband.
    I've done that before, too:D It makes it easier for me to find out what I wanna write once I have the image of it in my head. And I've never really made cards, but I do keep descriptions for my characters down somewhere

What do you have in mind for clothing so far?

Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

That's plays a part for me, I suppose. Though, with that said, that's normally because it boils down to me writing about something I never experienced in life. One example would be saving a loved one. I've never been in such a position, but I'd like to think that I'd try to save them without regards to personal consequences that may arise, y'know.

I've done that before, too:D It makes it easier for me to find out what I wanna write once I have the image of it in my head. And I've never really made cards, but I do keep descriptions for my characters down somewhere

What do you have in mind for clothing so far?
    Well, when I say character cards, I just mean a Word doc with descriptions. Kinda' like this...the only thing I really know to add to it is clothing...so I'm still at a loss for that. I have nothing so far as ideas for clothing...but I'm thinking about a long coat (I like trench coats, but that might be too much ).

Name: Zane Wolfe
    Height: 5’10’’
    Weight: 148 lbs.
    Hair color: red
    Hair length: 6’’
    Eyes: green
    Beard: none
    Build: slightly muscular/average
    Current Willpower: 300
    Current Skill: 10

Last edited by Shinobi Train; 07-23-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Status
    Jan 2012
    the day.

Well, when I say character cards, I just mean a Word doc with descriptions. Kinda' like this...the only thing I really know to add to it is clothing...so I'm still at a loss for that. I have nothing so far as ideas for clothing...but I'm thinking about a long coat (I like trench coats, but that might be too much ).

Name: Zane Wolfe
    Height: 5’10’’
    Weight: 148 lbs.
    Hair color: red
    Hair length: 6’’
    Eyes: green
    Beard: none
    Build: slightly muscular/average
    Current Willpower: 300
    Current Skill: 10
    Wow. I should try that for my OFs. They didn't get that far yet, so I can still do it. :D

Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Wow. I should try that for my OFs. They didn't get that far yet, so I can still do it. :D
    I know, it's such a good idea; I don't know why I didn't think of it before...