Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Shinobi Train is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Inside your head...
    Posts
    6,022
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>
     



    America

    Why is it? I so don't get it. Why do people say "America" and automatically assume that everyone's thinking the United States? I see it way too much and I just now saw it for the last time, so now I'm making this thread.

    I bet everyone who read the thread title figured it was the USA I was talking about...which ironically I'm talking about why you thought that.

    When someone says "America" in reference to the US, I assume there's a severe lack of education. Maybe said person missed Canada on the map, and you can't forget all of South America...it's two continents by the way.

    So why is it? Why do people assume the person is talking about the US when they say "America"?

    It's frustrating.

     
         

  2. #2
    God of Wood O_O HashiramaDescendant's Avatar
    Status
    HashiramaDescendant is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Xyloid City with Hashirama
    Posts
    5,553
    Post Thanks / Like
    안녕하세요! ^^
     

    Re: America

    Because the U.S is the dominant power currently.
     
         

  3. #3
    Senior Member Traffy's Avatar
    Status
    Traffy is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    1,123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Itssupereffective
     

    Re: America

    Whenever I hear the word America I think of this.

     
         

  4. #4
    Banned
    Status
    Riker Slade is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    With my Tedder-bear
    Posts
    31,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate monkey suits.
     

    Re: America

    well, thats what its called. not lots of people add the "United States of" part. it has nothing to do with education, its just the way it is. by this logic, we should be called United States of Americans. sounds dumb doesnt it?
     
         

  5. #5
    (メンマ, Menma)
    Status
    Menma Uzumaki is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Konohagakure
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: America

    When i hear the word america the first thing that comes to mind is Freedom! LoL seriously
     
         

  6. #6
    Senior Member AP2k's Avatar
    Status
    AP2k is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,090
    Post Thanks / Like
    This place still exists?
     

    Re: America

     
         

  7. #7
    Member
    Status
    NarutoFactoid is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: America

    explain this to all the canadians who say american tourists are annoying as ****.
     
         

  8. #8
    Member Trendy's Avatar
    Status
    Trendy is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by Itssupereffective View Post
    Whenever I hear the word America I think of this.

    i cant agree more
     
         

  9. #9
    Gon fishing crcdbz's Avatar
    Status
    crcdbz is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    In the game!
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by rikerslade View Post
    well, thats what its called. not lots of people add the "United States of" part. it has nothing to do with education, its just the way it is. by this logic, we should be called United States of Americans. sounds dumb doesnt it?
    Also the continents are North and South America not just America
     
         

  10. #10
    yip man student kmrasengan's Avatar
    Status
    kmrasengan is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    portugal
    Posts
    5,590
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: America

    i always say America when talking about the U.S, it's easier, and i'm aware that America isn't just one country like you said, there is Canada and south america, where i actually have relatives.
     
         

  11. #11
    Senior Member Naruto N. Uzumaki's Avatar
    Status
    Naruto N. Uzumaki is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    4th shinobi war
    Posts
    7,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    too cool for a status
     

    Re: America

    because the yanks are the loud ones
     
         

  12. #12
    Member
    Status
    NarutoFactoid is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by Itssupereffective View Post
    Whenever I hear the word America I think of this.

    i'm gonna have to agree with this. but i think this vid sums it up a little better.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9I-2c4YJSQ
     
         

  13. #13
    King Kai North Kai's Avatar
    Status
    North Kai is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    500
    Post Thanks / Like
    :)
     

    Re: America

    actually if you think of Canada and the US and also Mexico its North America
    Central America is Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama (I think, I also might have forgotten some)
    South America is everything else
    all together is the Americas

    but America for all its intends and purposes is the US to most of the world
    btw im from Germany
     
         

  14. #14
    The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Shinobi Train is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Inside your head...
    Posts
    6,022
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>
     



    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by HashiramaDescendant View Post
    Because the U.S is the dominant power currently.
    Right, but by doing that doesn't it seem super arrogant? Proving to the world that we're as arrogant as they believe us to be? (I'm in the US BTW)

    Quote Originally Posted by rikerslade View Post
    well, thats what its called. not lots of people add the "United States of" part. it has nothing to do with education, its just the way it is. by this logic, we should be called United States of Americans. sounds dumb doesnt it?
    No, United States citizens sounds fine though. Literally there was a woman from Mexico arguing with a reporter about whether she was American. The reporter kept saying "no, you're not an American". ...of course she's American! Not in the US, but that wasn't specified. So my conclusion is lack of education. The Mexican lady is obviously far more educated.
     
         

  15. #15
    Senior Member Supermacaquecool's Avatar
    Status
    Supermacaquecool is offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mexico city
    Posts
    3,439
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ñañañañaña
     

    Re: America

    Because ppl in USA denominated them selves as Americans (like Mexico-Mexican).
     
         

  16. #16
    Senior Member Supermacaquecool's Avatar
    Status
    Supermacaquecool is offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mexico city
    Posts
    3,439
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ñañañañaña
     

    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by North Kai View Post
    actually if you think of Canada and the US and also Mexico its North America
    Central America is Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama (I think, I also might have forgotten some)
    South America is everything else
    all together is the Americas

    but America for all its intends and purposes is the US to most of the world
    btw im from Germany
    You're right.
    And sorry for the multi-posting.
     
         

  17. #17
    J & A YowYan's Avatar
    Status
    YowYan is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    At the Organization, decapitating Rimuto
    Posts
    11,141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Ranger, Sun Gazer
     

    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by Menma Uzumaki View Post
    When i hear the word america the first thing that comes to mind is Freedom! LoL seriously
    Freedom huh?..

    Usa is quickly heading towards fascism. You'll notice soon enough.
    You were born a slave, never actually been totally free.
     
         

  18. #18
    Banned
    Status
    Riker Slade is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    With my Tedder-bear
    Posts
    31,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate monkey suits.
     

    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by crcdbz View Post
    Also the continents are North and South America not just America
    this. if you wanna technical, there is no "America"
     
         

  19. #19
    Member
    Status
    NarutoFactoid is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi Train View Post
    Right, but by doing that doesn't it seem super arrogant? Proving to the world that we're as arrogant as they believe us to be? (I'm in the US BTW)



    No, United States citizens sounds fine though. Literally there was a woman from Mexico arguing with a reporter about whether she was American. The reporter kept saying "no, you're not an American". ...of course she's American! Not in the US, but that wasn't specified. So my conclusion is lack of education. The Mexican lady is obviously far more educated.
    this isn't about education. while the lands mentioned as north, central and south, are indeed the americas. When referring to america. It is almost entirely, (World wide mind you) accepted to defer it to the US. The manner and use of the word is more important.


    you also load that testimony of the mexican lady like it supports your argument. without saying if shes saying shes a north american or a united states american
     
         
    Last edited by NarutoFactoid; 08-01-2012 at 01:42 AM.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Status
    Riker Slade is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    With my Tedder-bear
    Posts
    31,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate monkey suits.
     

    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi Train View Post
    Right, but by doing that doesn't it seem super arrogant? Proving to the world that we're as arrogant as they believe us to be? (I'm in the US BTW)



    No, United States citizens sounds fine though. Literally there was a woman from Mexico arguing with a reporter about whether she was American. The reporter kept saying "no, you're not an American". ...of course she's American! Not in the US, but that wasn't specified. So my conclusion is lack of education. The Mexican lady is obviously far more educated.
    no, she just wants to be a smartass. she knows American is generally known and accepted as someone who is born in the US. she cant just defy it then expect people to just play along. also, United States citizen and American are two different things
     
         

  21. #21
    Academy Student Fatalmercy's Avatar
    Status
    Fatalmercy is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: America

    Its the United States of AMERICA. People from here are called AMERICANS. People from CANADA, are called CANADIANS. People from SOUTH America, usually go by whatever country they come from, but if you're going to go by geography, they are SOUTH Americans. So America, then, without the North or South added, by default, would refer to the United States, as it's full name is the United States of AMERICA (Emphasis on that) .There's no severe lack of education, it's just you being difficult and ignorant. It's like if you said "French people". Most would assume that you are talking about French people from France, but there are french people in South America, the Caribbean, etc. If you want to talk about another place, you need to specify.
     
         

  22. #22
    DJ Malik's Avatar
    Status
    DJ Malik is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yamagakure, Land of Mountains
    Posts
    10,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: America

    Seeing it as lack of education is completely wrong as I think of myself as a decently educated individual and I tend to say "America" in reference to The States. It's shorter to say and many other people understand what you're meaning when you do use America that way, otherwise you wouldn't be making a thread talking about the use of America that way.

    I(We) obviously know that America isn't only the United States, but the entire two continents, but like I said, it's just easier to say and sort of universal.

    I don't consider The States better than any other country in North/South America, but it is one of the more well known countries(probably the most known actually).
     
         

  23. #23
    Member
    Status
    NarutoFactoid is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalmercy View Post
    Its the United States of AMERICA. People from here are called AMERICANS. People from CANADA, are called CANADIANS. People from SOUTH America, usually go by whatever country they come from, but if you're going to go by geography, they are SOUTH Americans. So America, then, without the North or South added, by default, would refer to the United States, as it's full name is the United States of AMERICA (Emphasis on that) .There's no severe lack of education, it's just you being difficult and ignorant. It's like if you said "French people". Most would assume that you are talking about French people from France, but there are french people in South America, the Caribbean, etc. If you want to talk about another place, you need to specify.
    this guy explained it a little better
     
         

  24. #24
    The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Shinobi Train is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Inside your head...
    Posts
    6,022
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>
     



    Re: America

    Well, I guess I have to agree to disagree. You will never catch me using America to describe the United States of America...it just won't happen. All I know is that if any member of my family caught me doing that I'd be flamed big time. I'd be asked immediately which country I was refering to; then there'd be a long discussion that goes completely off topic which addresses all those that simply refer to it as "America".
     
         

  25. #25
    Banned
    Status
    Riker Slade is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    With my Tedder-bear
    Posts
    31,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate monkey suits.
     

    Re: America

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi Train View Post
    Well, I guess I have to agree to disagree. You will never catch me using America to describe the United States of America...it just won't happen. All I know is that if any member of my family caught me doing that I'd be flamed big time. I'd be asked immediately which country I was refering to; then there'd be a long discussion that goes completely off topic which addresses all those that simply refer to it as "America".
    ok. just dont try to force this opinion onto people like you did here
     
         

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •