Page 2 of 2 « First 12
    Status
    Apr 2012
    This user has no status.

Re: America

Its the United States of AMERICA. People from here are called AMERICANS. People from CANADA, are called CANADIANS. People from SOUTH America, usually go by whatever country they come from, but if you're going to go by geography, they are SOUTH Americans. So America, then, without the North or South added, by default, would refer to the United States, as it's full name is the United States of AMERICA (Emphasis on that) .There's no severe lack of education, it's just you being difficult and ignorant. It's like if you said "French people". Most would assume that you are talking about French people from France, but there are french people in South America, the Caribbean, etc. If you want to talk about another place, you need to specify.

Status
    Sep 2010
    This user has no status.

Seeing it as lack of education is completely wrong as I think of myself as a decently educated individual and I tend to say "America" in reference to The States. It's shorter to say and many other people understand what you're meaning when you do use America that way, otherwise you wouldn't be making a thread talking about the use of America that way.

I(We) obviously know that America isn't only the United States, but the entire two continents, but like I said, it's just easier to say and sort of universal.

I don't consider The States better than any other country in North/South America, but it is one of the more well known countries(probably the most known actually).

Status
    Jun 2012
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalmercy View Post
    Its the United States of AMERICA. People from here are called AMERICANS. People from CANADA, are called CANADIANS. People from SOUTH America, usually go by whatever country they come from, but if you're going to go by geography, they are SOUTH Americans. So America, then, without the North or South added, by default, would refer to the United States, as it's full name is the United States of AMERICA (Emphasis on that) .There's no severe lack of education, it's just you being difficult and ignorant. It's like if you said "French people". Most would assume that you are talking about French people from France, but there are french people in South America, the Caribbean, etc. If you want to talk about another place, you need to specify.
    this guy explained it a little better

The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Well, I guess I have to agree to disagree. You will never catch me using America to describe the United States of America...it just won't happen. All I know is that if any member of my family caught me doing that I'd be flamed big time. I'd be asked immediately which country I was refering to; then there'd be a long discussion that goes completely off topic which addresses all those that simply refer to it as "America".

Status
    Apr 2011
    So we can take the world back
    from the heart-attacked. One
    maniac at a time we will take
    it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi Train View Post
    Well, I guess I have to agree to disagree. You will never catch me using America to describe the United States of America...it just won't happen. All I know is that if any member of my family caught me doing that I'd be flamed big time. I'd be asked immediately which country I was refering to; then there'd be a long discussion that goes completely off topic which addresses all those that simply refer to it as "America".
    ok. just dont try to force this opinion onto people like you did here

The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Quote Originally Posted by rikerslade View Post
    ok. just dont try to force this opinion onto people like you did here
    :confused: Did I try to force it on people? I was asking why because I don't understand...

Status
    Dec 2011
    Waiting for A Realm Reborn

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi Train View Post
    :confused: Did I try to force it on people? I was asking why because I don't understand...
    You don't understand what?

Page 2 of 2 « First 12