View Poll Results: whats worst drugs or alcholism?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • drugs

13 72.22%
  • alcholism

5 27.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
    eyes that guide the blind EYES OF ITACHI's Avatar
    Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

what's worst a drug additcion or alcholism?

What makes an addiction bad?

The first thing to examine, is the word "worse". I suggest this, because the question is subjective precisely because of the word "worse". It can hold many meanings to different thinkers. So let's take a look at what can take a drug or drinking problem from a passion to an obsession and into the world of problem addictions. What makes them bad?

1. Societal Norms

Drinking and enjoying recreational substances is nothing new to humanity. Though what is relatively new, are laws against these acts. With this whole majority/minority deal going, many people are subject to laws and societal rules put in place to decide if something is wrong or right. If you happen to be in a society that feels drinking isn't so bad, but doing drugs is way out of line - then having a drug addiction would be seen as much worse then an alcohol problem. It could also work the other way, if you were in a society that view alcoholism as a worse problem then drugs.

2. Health Consequences

Over time, our bodies will age, wear and fade away. It happens. And as of yet, there is no magic fountain of youth to stop that from happening. Though even with the absolute fact of this, we are also stifled with the knowledge that the human body is designed to live approximately 180 years or more. Yet your average human rarely sees anything over the age of 80 years. Even the longest living of our species have yet to make it over 120, and several of them had a regular six pack of beer and pack of smokes every day, among other things.

So we cannot necessarily say that drugs or drinking are the main causes of premature deaths in our genus, though we do have plenty of definitive evidence that unnatural, man-made or broken down substances - including alcohol - can accelerate the age and condition of our bodies. When this starts to happen, most people stop with what they have been doing and allow their bodies to heal. Though for a person with an addiction, they are not endowed with such willpower and will often continue with their habit until it breaks their body down along with their mind. In this instance, you could judge that the worse addiction, is the one that takes more of a toll on the human body in the shortest amount of time.

3. Effects on Others

This is a key factor that I hope everyone takes into account. Alcoholism and drug addiction take more than just a toll on the abuser. The question is, how many people are affected by the individual abuser. Someone with no family, who lives on a secluded forest home, probably wouldn't effect too many other people around them. Though someone with a family, kids or who is in a relationship, will impact a lot of others lives around them. Sometimes addictions will affect a persons career as well, and as we know all to well, some addictions can effect total strangers. Such as when a drunk barrels down the road and runs someone over, or when a drug addict robs a store to get money for their next fix. Depending on how many people are co-affected by the addiction, can make one worse than the other.

Alcoholism: Breaking it down

Going by the above factors, let's break down alcoholism and see how bad it really is right now.

Society: There are approximately 6.92 Billion people in the world. Out of that six bill, there are about 2 Billion who consume alcoholic beverages to one degree or another. It is estimated that more than 76 Million of those alcohol consumers are afflicted with at least one form of alcoholic disorder (meaning they have an abuse problem of varying degrees). So 20% of those who consume alcohol, have an alcohol problem. That's about every 2 out of 10 people. Which means that there are a lot of people in society effected by alcoholism, even if they aren't the abuser. You could estimate that for every addict, there are at least 3 people that are directly effected by their alcohol problem, which would be around 228,000,000 people.

Alcohol is rather nasty in that it effects your main organs worse before it gets through the rest of the body, which could probably handle it better. Your liver, spleen, pancreas, heart and brain are some of the first few that will be effect first and they will be hit the hardest because the alcohol has not had as much time to dilute. On top of this, a person with an alcoholic problem will start to get delayed highs, not because of their tolerance level, but because their stomach is now very irritated from the alcohol and will trap it inside itself in an attempt to protect the body. When the stomach does this, it produces a thick layer of protective lining that will protect it for short whiles and eat away at it if the lining isn't digested soon. So someone with a drinking problem will often experience ulcers and small intestine problems and still have to deal with the poisoning of their main organs.

Because of problems created through alcohol abuse, approximately 70,000 people die every year. Most from complications of their abuse, and not from the alcohol itself. This is because the alcohol is a poison, and it kills you through causing failure in your important organs.

Drugs: Breaking it down...

Health: Because there are so many different types of drugs (of which alcohol should truly be included), let's break things down even further in this section.

How many people die each year from drugs?

Heroine - 6500 people
    Cocaine - 2800 people
    Meth - 3000 people
    Esctacy/Ebombs - 60 people
    Acid/LSD - 5 people (none die from overdose, most from suicide)
    Prescription Drugs/Pharmaceuticals - 200,000 people
    Shrooms - 3 people (most from misidentifying mushroom/eating poisonous mushrooms or from a bad trip. None died from the correct psychadelic mushrooms.)
    Tobacco - 1 Million people
    Marijuana/Cannabis - 0 People

So that's 1,212,368 people per year that die from various types of drugs. As you can see from this short list, some of these drugs have faster and more debilitating effects (like pharmaceuticals or tobacco), where others show very little harm (like marijuana, shrooms or LSD). Everything can be abused. There are also many in these numbers who aren't counted for mixing drugs, dying from the drug war or from illnesses caused by these substances.

so in your opinion whats worst of the two?

Status
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got your attention... I
    guess.

Re: what's worst a drug additcion or alcholism?

both

God of Wood O_O HashiramaDescendant's Avatar
    Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    안녕하세요! ^^

Alcohol kills people on the road, whereas illegal drugs kills people in ways unimaginable.

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

My vote goes to alcoholism, since it can kill you if you drink too much.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

There is no win lose situation in this case, there's only lose lose situation so i think both are bad

Status
    Jun 2012
    Where the levels of common sense are Sofa King low
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

they are both horrible. I think (personally) alcoholism may be a bit worse

God of Wood O_O HashiramaDescendant's Avatar
    Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    안녕하세요! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lamperouge View Post
    My vote goes to alcoholism, since it can kill you if you drink too much.
    Too much of either can kill you.

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu sannin View Post
    There is no win lose situation in this case, there's only lose lose situation so i think both are bad
    true but alcohol still seems worst in my opinion

Senior Member ninjastormgenaration33's Avatar
    Status
    Jul 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Drugs

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by EYES OF ITACHI View Post
    But where I live, drug addiction is considered to be far far worse than alcoholism.

the illest you never heard wridacule's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    cheese makes it hard to poo

alcholics ARE drug addicts. its just a legal drug. all drugs destroy families over time so they're equal if you ask me

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Badbad stuff the both of them.

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu sannin View Post
    But where I live, drug addiction is considered to be far far worse than alcoholism.
    speaking from my perspective i have an alcoholic uncle and two friends that drink very heavily........N when they start drinking they turn into tottaly different people........either they're angry drunks who have no controle over what they do or say.....or can barley stand let alone walk(i actually had to carry one friend across my shoulders 8 blocks to his house because he kept walking in circles and falling every few steps)

i smoked a blunt wit them same people n not once have they ever acted anywhere near the way they act while drunk

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wanna exchange friend codes?

Alcohol is worse
    drunks usually drink all the time whereas a coke head gets high then withdraws and then they look or more
    but their both really bad

the illest you never heard wridacule's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    cheese makes it hard to poo

speaking from my perspective i have an alcoholic uncle and two friends that drink very heavily........N when they start drinking they turn into tottaly different people........either they're angry drunks who have no controle over what they do or say.....or can barley stand let alone walk(i actually had to carry one friend across my shoulders 8 blocks to his house because he kept walking in circles and falling every few steps)

i smoked a blunt wit them same people n not once have they ever acted anywhere near the way they act while drunk
    lol i feel you on that. nothin worse than having to babysit a drunk who doesnt know his limit. BUT back home i know men and women who buy weed before they buy clothes for their kids...it all goes bad when a person doesnt know when to say "when". two sides of the same coin really

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by wridacule View Post
    lol i feel you on that. nothin worse than having to babysit a drunk who doesnt know his limit. BUT back home i know men and women who buy weed before they buy clothes for their kids...it all goes bad when a person doesnt know when to say "when". two sides of the same coin really
    i kno what you mean.......two side of the same coin yes.....but it all depends on who's coin it is

Banned
    Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Self-improvement is
    masturbation.

I don't either of them is worse than the other.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Seeing as I'm a 19 year old on the way to alcoholism I'm gonna say drug addiction

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

thye are the one and the same i know first hand i dont drink but i do a lot of drugs and it is killing me as alchohol killed the man i called dad this is a topic that should not be discussed lightly or by children

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

LOL at the bolded part.
    BAck to the topic, it all depends on one's perspective, I find drug addiction to be more damaging than alcholosim.

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

drugs are far worse have you seen or heard the things people do for drungs lets just say not too many people suck **** for beer ok

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Drug addiction & alcoholism is bad, but drug addiction destroys far more lives. Through dug addiction drug dealers are being funded and continue with their 'business' where they go on to take more lives because of it. Drug dealers are often linked in with gang crime, its a vicious circle that the government should focus more on IMO. Don't get me wrong I am not against all drugs, just drugs like heroin, call me hypocritical but thats just my view!

Last edited by tom94; 08-02-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

i have been on drugs since 98 and let me tell you it is hard to quite thats if you even want to quite

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
    drugs are far worse have you seen or heard the things people do for drungs lets just say not too many people suck **** for beer ok
    lmao
    o.k. on that i have to agree with you on.....see it like this....person A does drugs and person B's an alcholic......true person A may go to a further extent to feed that drug addiction do to the high prices.......now lets look at person B he can feed his alcoholism way cheaper and runs a higher risk of taking drinks one after another with out in.....while person A got there high N doen't want to run the high risk of o.d.ing......while the alcohol effect creep up on you and you dont realize it

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

i see your point but lets say beer cost 25 dollars US a can then people would do more drugs fro the ame price as drink imo

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»