Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some live, some die.

Kumi+Rep For Answers

I am new to gfx but now my basics. I do however have a couple of questions concerning gimp and avatar creation. If you answer these questions and I am able to work it out i will gladly give you kumi and rep.

Question 1: How do I make the picture look as if it were made out of dots? Please provide an explanation on how to do it as well as suggestions for effects to make it look nice.

Question 2: How do I put a border on the avatar or just image in general? I would like one that also gives an explanation for Lawliet's beautiful borders.

Question 3: (This one is by far the easiest) what are some cool effects that you guys know of to just make the image look cooler?

I hope that you guys help me out as I am a new to GFX but really enjoy it even though I am not very good. Hopefully through guidance in the community I can become a better GFX artist and have even more fun.
    Thank you for your time.

Senior Member muutobirama3rdraikagemizu's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    SHISHUI IS UNDARRATED

Re: Kumi+Rep For Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Account View Post
    I am new to gfx but now my basics. I do however have a couple of questions concerning gimp and avatar creation. If you answer these questions and I am able to work it out i will gladly give you kumi and rep.

Question 1: How do I make the picture look as if it were made out of dots? Please provide an explanation on how to do it as well as suggestions for effects to make it look nice.

Question 2: How do I put a border on the avatar or just image in general? I would like one that also gives an explanation for Lawliet's beautiful borders.

Question 3: (This one is by far the easiest) what are some cool effects that you guys know of to just make the image look cooler?

I hope that you guys help me out as I am a new to GFX but really enjoy it even though I am not very good. Hopefully through guidance in the community I can become a better GFX artist and have even more fun.
    Thank you for your time.
    I wish i could answer

Susanoo is amaz... ~Puppet Master~'s Avatar
    Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...ing, do you all understand?

Thank you for your time.
    1.) I don't use Gimp but I know that saving your file as .gif does make it look very dotted.

2.) I just draw a black 1pixel rectangle around my image, then I add a while one inside it like my current avatar.

3.) I sharpen the renders to make them look cooler, and a scanline effect is always good too.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some live, some die.

Thanks very informative. Also congratulations on 666 posts. +Rep

Susanoo is amaz... ~Puppet Master~'s Avatar
    Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...ing, do you all understand?

Oh my god 666!

Phew... 667...

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

1. save as gif? i forgot tbh

2. press the retangular select tool, scale where you want it and how big on the image, press invert on select tab(i think its in one of the tabs). then fill it with the pattern or color you want. this is for a simple retangular border look up tutorials if you want one thats suites your taste.

3.soft glow and add canvas(for background of the image) on artistic in filter tab are my usual ones. i ussually make my avatars and signatures simple so these aer good and work for me.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

ok i use photoshop soooo ya the answers will be for photoshop
    1.put the pic as the background layer than make a new layer and use splattering brush and right click on that layer and put it to clip masking...
    2. make new layer on top and select all than go to edit than click on stroke and adjust the options to your liking
    3. gradient maps(i love them)......use the ones they give and make your own if you want....

edit: sorry i skipped the first part and just saw the gimp part...

Last edited by ~Naruto&Itachi~; 08-17-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some live, some die.

Quote Originally Posted by ThtOneGuy View Post
    2. press the retangular select tool, scale where you want it and how big on the image, press invert on select tab(i think its in one of the tabs). then fill it with the pattern or color you want. this is for a simple retangular border look up tutorials if you want one thats suites your taste.

3.soft glow and add canvas(for background of the image) on artistic in filter tab are my usual ones. i ussually make my avatars and signatures simple so these aer good and work for me.
    Thanks. Is it possible that you can tell me where these effects are located?

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Thanks. Is it possible that you can tell me where these effects are located?
    soft glow: go to fliter tab on top, then scroll on artistic then you will see it
    add canvas: same^
    regtangular select tool:top left corner of toolbox

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some live, some die.

Continue answering please I really am learning a lot thank you all. +Rep btw.

Status
    Jun 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

1. I don't know if this is right but I will do my best to answer this. Resizing the render/focal in order to fit in the size of your tag/signature. If Gimp have "free transform" then you can the image so that it would not be pixelated.

2. Use the marquee tool and fill up the tag. Once you see the "ants marching" thing right click your mouse and find "stroke". Tweak the settings according to your taste.

3. Many ways to look better of your tag. You can use filters, add more stocks that has color effects, C4D renders, etc. Also, play along the blending options, too