Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ロロノア・ゾロ Caliburn's Avatar
    Status
    Caliburn is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,423
    Location
    Dressrosa
    This user is taking back his
    status by force! But would
    also like to note that Sara
    has his heart! It's in a jar
    of marshmallows.
     



    The Lord of The Rings



    Most of you probarly know this book, due to the movie. The LOTR-trilogy is still the greatest movie project of all thim and I don't see it lose that title easily.

    My only regret is that I saw first the movie before I read the book, to my shame I must say I even never heard of it. But from the moment I saw the movie, I've been fascinated by it.

    A lot of people als don't know that LOTR is actually only a small part in the history and mythology that it's writer, J.R.R. Tolkien, has made. You've got other books like 'The Hobbit' and 'The children of Hurin'.



    A lot of fantasy-series, some of wich are also discussed in this section, we're inspired by LOTR.

    Tolkien has been working on the history of LOTR for his entire life and unfortunately it was never fully completed before his death. Nonetheless his legacy is priceless. Both the movie and the book are pieces of art that, in my opinion, never will be matched.
     
         

  2. #2
    ... MadMax's Avatar
    Status
    MadMax is offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,800
    saraisthebest
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Same here, first watched the movies, and then read the books. I like the books more... Also i have The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and The Children of Hurin, awesome books.
     
         

  3. #3
    ロロノア・ゾロ Caliburn's Avatar
    Status
    Caliburn is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,423
    Location
    Dressrosa
    This user is taking back his
    status by force! But would
    also like to note that Sara
    has his heart! It's in a jar
    of marshmallows.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Same here, first watched the movies, and then read the books. I like the books more... Also i have The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and The Children of Hurin, awesome books.
    I've got those books too + faity tales and stories + Lost tales(I've got the Dutch versions, so I don't know there English counterpart names). I have the Hobbit, but I've never read it unfortunately, still I know more or less what the storyline is.

    Yes, like with all movies that are based on books, the book is always better. But what Peter Jackson did with the movies was amazing.
    When Tolkien was alive, they had the idea to make a movie out of LOTR(with the Beatles as Frodo, Sam, Aragorn and Smeagel/gollem:confused but therefore they had to buy the rights from Tolkien. The project never came out of it's planning-fase, but Tolkien said that he would sell his rights for one symbolical pond, because he didn't believe that anyone could make a movie out of it.

    I've seen the making-of the trilogy (over 12 hours of bonus-material) and what they did was beyond believe. Eventhough the book and movie are a bit different, they movie still rocks.

    Not unlike the Harry Potter-movies, where they pretty much raped the story.
     
         
    Last edited by Caliburn; 06-12-2009 at 09:12 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member -~Krissy~-'s Avatar
    Status
    -~Krissy~- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,219
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    I can't believe I'm now seeing this section for the first time. DX I LOVE LotR...J.R.R. Tolkien inspired me to start writing. He is THE BEST, I haven't ever read another author's work that can match his. People say Harry Potter is the best, ah no that's totally wrong. They either haven't read Tolkien's work or are too narrow-minded to understand his writing. All of his works are masterpieces and I just love collecting them. I have the whole LotR trilogy, The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and the somewhat recent Children of Hurin. I'm grateful to my parents and my cousins for introducing me to his stuff. :worshippy:

    Oh and Peter Jackson did LotR justice, I mean it was still a bit compacted in the movies but they managed to do everything so perfectly. The elves were beautiful (not compared to the vampires in the Twilight movie, total disappointment with makeup *headpalm*), the costumes were awesome, the cast and crew couldn't have been chosen any better. x] The last movie really did deserve those 11 Academy Awards...they gave me something to look forward to those couple years ago. .
     
         

  5. #5
    ロロノア・ゾロ Caliburn's Avatar
    Status
    Caliburn is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,423
    Location
    Dressrosa
    This user is taking back his
    status by force! But would
    also like to note that Sara
    has his heart! It's in a jar
    of marshmallows.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by Krissy Knight View Post
    I can't believe I'm now seeing this section for the first time. DX I LOVE LotR...J.R.R. Tolkien inspired me to start writing. He is THE BEST, I haven't ever read another author's work that can match his. People say Harry Potter is the best, ah no that's totally wrong. They either haven't read Tolkien's work or are too narrow-minded to understand his writing. All of his works are masterpieces and I just love collecting them. I have the whole LotR trilogy, The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and the somewhat recent Children of Hurin. I'm grateful to my parents and my cousins for introducing me to his stuff. :worshippy:

    Oh and Peter Jackson did LotR justice, I mean it was still a bit compacted in the movies but they managed to do everything so perfectly. The elves were beautiful (not compared to the vampires in the Twilight movie, total disappointment with makeup *headpalm*), the costumes were awesome, the cast and crew couldn't have been chosen any better. x] The last movie really did deserve those 11 Academy Awards...they gave me something to look forward to those couple years ago. .

    Amen:D
    A lot of people don't realize how much effort was put in LOTR. Harry Potter was fun to read, but theoratically speaking everyone is able to make such thing because it's just fantasy.
    However Tolkien made an entire history, with the history of different kinds of races and he explained it all in detail. He even invented at least 3 languages on his own, made lots of songs and poems and even legends.

    You really should watch the making off LOTR on the extended DVD collection of LOTR, if you haven't done that already. There they explain everything of the movie, how they made all the weapons, clothing, cities etc.

    I though of writing myself, but I'm not good at it and a lot of other people already got inspired by him. Still LOTR made my interest in history even greater than it already was. Especially the Celtic culture.
     
         

  6. #6
    Senior Member -~Krissy~-'s Avatar
    Status
    -~Krissy~- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,219
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by Caliburn View Post
    Amen:D
    A lot of people don't realize how much effort was put in LOTR. Harry Potter was fun to read, but theoratically speaking everyone is able to make such thing because it's just fantasy.
    However Tolkien made an entire history, with the history of different kinds of races and he explained it all in detail. He even invented at least 3 languages on his own, made lots of songs and poems and even legends.

    You really should watch the making off LOTR on the extended DVD collection of LOTR, if you haven't done that already. There they explain everything of the movie, how they made all the weapons, clothing, cities etc.

    I though of writing myself, but I'm not good at it and a lot of other people already got inspired by him. Still LOTR made my interest in history even greater than it already was. Especially the Celtic culture.
    Indeed. A lot of his writing is actually based on history from our world, which is so amazing. To be able to take a little from every culture, religion etc is just, wow. O.o I love that he created his own languages, I think that Middle Earth was basically a representation of our world, though in more epic fanastical proportions.

    Hm, I haven't really ever gotten the chance to look at the making, but I shall try my best to. I've seen a few of the behind-the-scenes clips online and they were very entertaining. xD

    I know of some people who are quite dedicated to him, sometimes their ramblings catch me offguard and I just sit there in awe, because I learn something new about him almost everytime. =3 Last Christmas I got a book titled "The World of Tolkien" by David Day. It was brilliant, I read it twice.

    I have to say, LotR was my first literary love ever, even before Harry Potter.
     
         

  7. #7
    Banned
    Status
    Misa-Misa is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,276
    Location
    Wif Mah Mello! ^-^
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Only one thing to say...
    LOTR is so badass
     
         

  8. #8
    MaybeOneDay... AngelsFlame's Avatar
    Status
    AngelsFlame is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    327
    Location
    in rainbows of course.
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by Misa-Misa View Post
    Only one thing to say...
    LOTR is so badass
    Aha...couldn't agree with you more ^.^
     
         

  9. #9
    Eats your face Sugarchan's Avatar
    Status
    Sugarchan is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,085
    Location
    In a hole
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    I love LOTR, read to book, read The Hobbit, Read Children of Hurin and tried to read the Silmarillion but found that to impossible for my little brain xD

    But the movies are really good to :]
     
         

  10. #10
    Senior Member Chiryoku's Avatar
    Status
    Chiryoku is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,238
    Location
    Pandora
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Same as person above me. O.o
     
         

  11. #11
    ロロノア・ゾロ Caliburn's Avatar
    Status
    Caliburn is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,423
    Location
    Dressrosa
    This user is taking back his
    status by force! But would
    also like to note that Sara
    has his heart! It's in a jar
    of marshmallows.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchan View Post
    I love LOTR, read to book, read The Hobbit, Read Children of Hurin and tried to read the Silmarillion but found that to impossible for my little brain xD

    But the movies are really good to :]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingwer Hatake View Post
    Same as person above me. O.o
    LOTR rocks , did someone see the extended movie version and the making of? Those are epic
     
         

  12. #12
    Senior Member Chiryoku's Avatar
    Status
    Chiryoku is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,238
    Location
    Pandora
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by Caliburn View Post
    LOTR rocks , did someone see the extended movie version and the making of? Those are epic
    Yeah, didn't see all if it, though. Watched 2 movies extended and making of stuff. >.>
     
         

  13. #13
    Eats your face Sugarchan's Avatar
    Status
    Sugarchan is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,085
    Location
    In a hole
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by Ingwer Hatake View Post
    Yeah, didn't see all if it, though. Watched 2 movies extended and making of stuff. >.>
    When did you see tha second one xD We only have the first one xD

    I watched all of them with a friend on our 'LOTRAddiction' weekend

    Yesh, we just rock that much
    And don't have a life... at all
     
         

  14. #14
    ロロノア・ゾロ Caliburn's Avatar
    Status
    Caliburn is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16,423
    Location
    Dressrosa
    This user is taking back his
    status by force! But would
    also like to note that Sara
    has his heart! It's in a jar
    of marshmallows.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchan View Post
    When did you see tha second one xD We only have the first one xD

    I watched all of them with a friend on our 'LOTRAddiction' weekend

    Yesh, we just rock that much
    And don't have a life... at all
    LOTR transcends life I'm not even going to tell how many times I saw the entire trilogy (extended)
     
         

  15. #15
    Senior Member -~Krissy~-'s Avatar
    Status
    -~Krissy~- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,219
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchan View Post
    When did you see tha second one xD We only have the first one xD

    I watched all of them with a friend on our 'LOTRAddiction' weekend

    Yesh, we just rock that much
    And don't have a life... at all
    Lmao, I'm on an LotR forum and every year we have a "Return of the Rings" thing and it also includes basically making plans so everyone looks at the movies at the same time.

    I've never participated though because it's usually an inconvenient time for me. X____X
     
         
    Last edited by -~Krissy~-; 11-14-2009 at 09:19 PM.

  16. #16
    Eats your face Sugarchan's Avatar
    Status
    Sugarchan is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,085
    Location
    In a hole
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    When I'm watching LORT it's like... talking along.. the whole time

    Me and my friend are just that cool... NOTZ xD
     
         

  17. #17
    Senior Member Chiryoku's Avatar
    Status
    Chiryoku is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,238
    Location
    Pandora
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    O.o
    So true, Cali, though, with some other series of book (also SF, but anyways) I also had the urge to read all day. >.>
     
         

  18. #18
    is a japanese guinea-pig? tadhg546's Avatar
    Status
    tadhg546 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,713
    Location
    in your cupboards
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    lol this thread is epic... lotr realy does rock
     
         

  19. #19
    STONED IMMACULATE Taboo's Avatar
    Status
    Taboo is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    802
    Location
    wherever people say I am, thats where Im not
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    hah, well this is a book that doesnt stop fascinating me. I cant recall how many times I've read it, but at each an every time it keeps me on the edge of the seat.
    I havent read Children of Hurin, and i suppose its as good as the other books, and to tell the truth I cant choose one to be my favorite, they all are!
    (so far Ive read the Hobit, The Sillmarilion, and all tomes of the Lord of the Rings)
     
         

  20. #20
    anime crazy!! ahnime's Avatar
    Status
    ahnime is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    82
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: The Lord of The Rings

    Yup, LOTR is TOO good, my favourite character is Sam. What I like about it is that the story goes WAY back, I mean the heroes of LOTR are puny compared to the earlier heroes, eg. The Silmarils are ancient and yet, they make the rings look like...well, rings, they're way more significant. Sauron was supposed to be the big badass but turns out he was a mere servant of Morgoth. I wish they'd make a movie about the final war(forgot it's name) when Melkor comes back and the Valar fight him. For me, the most interesting part of the book was when Sam and Frodo are lost in the cave Gollum betrays them and the spider thingy appears. The journey through Mordor is a little to gloomy and depressing. But the story line is just perfect, the book kept me glued to itself, now that this forum reminded me of it, I might as well read it again! But seriously though, this is ONE long book...
     
         

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •