Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user is taking back his
    status by force! But would
    also like to note that Sara
    has his heart! It's in a jar
    of marshmallows.

The Lord of The Rings

Most of you probarly know this book, due to the movie. The LOTR-trilogy is still the greatest movie project of all thim and I don't see it lose that title easily.

My only regret is that I saw first the movie before I read the book, to my shame I must say I even never heard of it. But from the moment I saw the movie, I've been fascinated by it.

A lot of people als don't know that LOTR is actually only a small part in the history and mythology that it's writer, J.R.R. Tolkien, has made. You've got other books like 'The Hobbit' and 'The children of Hurin'.

A lot of fantasy-series, some of wich are also discussed in this section, we're inspired by LOTR.

Tolkien has been working on the history of LOTR for his entire life and unfortunately it was never fully completed before his death. Nonetheless his legacy is priceless. Both the movie and the book are pieces of art that, in my opinion, never will be matched.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: The Lord of The Rings

Same here, first watched the movies, and then read the books. I like the books more... Also i have The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and The Children of Hurin, awesome books.

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    of marshmallows.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Same here, first watched the movies, and then read the books. I like the books more... Also i have The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and The Children of Hurin, awesome books.
    I've got those books too + faity tales and stories + Lost tales(I've got the Dutch versions, so I don't know there English counterpart names). I have the Hobbit, but I've never read it unfortunately, still I know more or less what the storyline is.

Yes, like with all movies that are based on books, the book is always better. But what Peter Jackson did with the movies was amazing.
    When Tolkien was alive, they had the idea to make a movie out of LOTR(with the Beatles as Frodo, Sam, Aragorn and Smeagel/gollem:confused but therefore they had to buy the rights from Tolkien. The project never came out of it's planning-fase, but Tolkien said that he would sell his rights for one symbolical pond, because he didn't believe that anyone could make a movie out of it.

I've seen the making-of the trilogy (over 12 hours of bonus-material) and what they did was beyond believe. Eventhough the book and movie are a bit different, they movie still rocks.

Not unlike the Harry Potter-movies, where they pretty much raped the story.

Last edited by Caliburn; 06-12-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Status
    Oct 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I can't believe I'm now seeing this section for the first time. DX I LOVE LotR...J.R.R. Tolkien inspired me to start writing. He is THE BEST, I haven't ever read another author's work that can match his. People say Harry Potter is the best, ah no that's totally wrong. They either haven't read Tolkien's work or are too narrow-minded to understand his writing. All of his works are masterpieces and I just love collecting them. I have the whole LotR trilogy, The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and the somewhat recent Children of Hurin. I'm grateful to my parents and my cousins for introducing me to his stuff. :worshippy:

Oh and Peter Jackson did LotR justice, I mean it was still a bit compacted in the movies but they managed to do everything so perfectly. The elves were beautiful (not compared to the vampires in the Twilight movie, total disappointment with makeup *headpalm*), the costumes were awesome, the cast and crew couldn't have been chosen any better. x] The last movie really did deserve those 11 Academy Awards...they gave me something to look forward to those couple years ago. .

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    of marshmallows.

Quote Originally Posted by Krissy Knight View Post
    I can't believe I'm now seeing this section for the first time. DX I LOVE LotR...J.R.R. Tolkien inspired me to start writing. He is THE BEST, I haven't ever read another author's work that can match his. People say Harry Potter is the best, ah no that's totally wrong. They either haven't read Tolkien's work or are too narrow-minded to understand his writing. All of his works are masterpieces and I just love collecting them. I have the whole LotR trilogy, The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and the somewhat recent Children of Hurin. I'm grateful to my parents and my cousins for introducing me to his stuff. :worshippy:

Oh and Peter Jackson did LotR justice, I mean it was still a bit compacted in the movies but they managed to do everything so perfectly. The elves were beautiful (not compared to the vampires in the Twilight movie, total disappointment with makeup *headpalm*), the costumes were awesome, the cast and crew couldn't have been chosen any better. x] The last movie really did deserve those 11 Academy Awards...they gave me something to look forward to those couple years ago. .

Amen:D
    A lot of people don't realize how much effort was put in LOTR. Harry Potter was fun to read, but theoratically speaking everyone is able to make such thing because it's just fantasy.
    However Tolkien made an entire history, with the history of different kinds of races and he explained it all in detail. He even invented at least 3 languages on his own, made lots of songs and poems and even legends.

You really should watch the making off LOTR on the extended DVD collection of LOTR, if you haven't done that already. There they explain everything of the movie, how they made all the weapons, clothing, cities etc.

I though of writing myself, but I'm not good at it and a lot of other people already got inspired by him. Still LOTR made my interest in history even greater than it already was. Especially the Celtic culture.

Status
    Oct 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliburn View Post
    Amen:D
    A lot of people don't realize how much effort was put in LOTR. Harry Potter was fun to read, but theoratically speaking everyone is able to make such thing because it's just fantasy.
    However Tolkien made an entire history, with the history of different kinds of races and he explained it all in detail. He even invented at least 3 languages on his own, made lots of songs and poems and even legends.

You really should watch the making off LOTR on the extended DVD collection of LOTR, if you haven't done that already. There they explain everything of the movie, how they made all the weapons, clothing, cities etc.

I though of writing myself, but I'm not good at it and a lot of other people already got inspired by him. Still LOTR made my interest in history even greater than it already was. Especially the Celtic culture.
    Indeed. A lot of his writing is actually based on history from our world, which is so amazing. To be able to take a little from every culture, religion etc is just, wow. O.o I love that he created his own languages, I think that Middle Earth was basically a representation of our world, though in more epic fanastical proportions.

Hm, I haven't really ever gotten the chance to look at the making, but I shall try my best to. I've seen a few of the behind-the-scenes clips online and they were very entertaining. xD

I know of some people who are quite dedicated to him, sometimes their ramblings catch me offguard and I just sit there in awe, because I learn something new about him almost everytime. =3 Last Christmas I got a book titled "The World of Tolkien" by David Day. It was brilliant, I read it twice.

I have to say, LotR was my first literary love ever, even before Harry Potter.

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    of marshmallows.

Quote Originally Posted by Krissy Knight View Post
    Indeed. A lot of his writing is actually based on history from our world, which is so amazing. To be able to take a little from every culture, religion etc is just, wow. O.o I love that he created his own languages, I think that Middle Earth was basically a representation of our world, though in more epic fanastical proportions.

Hm, I haven't really ever gotten the chance to look at the making, but I shall try my best to. I've seen a few of the behind-the-scenes clips online and they were very entertaining. xD

I know of some people who are quite dedicated to him, sometimes their ramblings catch me offguard and I just sit there in awe, because I learn something new about him almost everytime. =3 Last Christmas I got a book titled "The World of Tolkien" by David Day. It was brilliant, I read it twice.

I have to say, LotR was my first literary love ever, even before Harry Potter.
    The funny thing is that Tolkien wasn't even a writer, but a linguist. He first made the languages and then started to work around it:D.

He used a lot of information from the mythology of the Scandinavian lands and his elvish languages were influenced a lot by the Finnish language. Especially the Rohan culture is a good example, it looks almost like the viking culture.

Tolkien fought in the first world war and he always said that this didn't had influence on his work, butsubconsciousI think it did. I mean in the Silmarillion, when Gondolin falls he says something of weird metal machines and in the first world war tanks were used for the first time. Or the dead marshes, were you can see the fallen warriors from the battle of Dagorlad(I think it was this battle). If you got killed in the no man's land, the chance was big that your body would stay there for weeks. In the end the entire field was filled with corpses stuck in the mud. Looks a lot like the dead marshes.

One of my favourite books is 'LOTR weapons and warfare' by Christopher Lee(the guy who played Sarumon) and Chris Smith. It mainly goes about the events in the movie, but there are references to things that happend long before that and it uses screenshots of the movies.

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    of marshmallows.

It's my honour to announce to every LOTR fan that I finally started reading The Hobbit.

And it's great, I just finished the part where Bilbo escapes from the Goblins.

Status
    Oct 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

It's my honour to announce to every LOTR fan that I finally started reading The Hobbit.

And it's great, I just finished the part where Bilbo escapes from the Goblins.
    Haha finally.

I remember the goblin part, it's one of my favourites...Gollum scared me the first time I read it and I was 9 then so yeah. xD

Phantasmagoric Vision Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Anyone read the Silmarillion? It was released after the LOTR trilogy as a compendium of earth history (in the novel's universe).

It was kind of dry, as there's no storyline through it. Its kind of like reading a history book. Interesting, in its own way.

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    of marshmallows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Anyone read the Silmarillion? It was released after the LOTR trilogy as a compendium of earth history (in the novel's universe).

It was kind of dry, as there's no storyline through it. Its kind of like reading a history book. Interesting, in its own way.
    I read it and I think it's great. Tolkien never had the intention to make a book with a story, he wanted to make an entire world with history. So his books are pretty much history books, but I don't mind it at all.
    I study history after all.

Status
    Sep 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I tried readin it back in grade school, but dropped it after reading 1 Pg... there's atleast 600 words per page on those books... thats too much for me, and I read HP.

I like the movies though.

Status
    Aug 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

As wonderfully detailed and fanastic the books of the LOTR's trilogy are, the movies, I must say, come out ontop above it all. Almost above any movie really. People might complain that they are too long but that shouldn't matter. The meaning of LOTR is what counts and is what everyone should seriously look at and try to understand. Its not about just war and rivalry but loyalty, trust, indifference from all being brought together for a cause they each worry about. It's about seeing through the wall of difference and just looking into the heart and feelings. J.R.R Tolkien has shown us and come out with traits and points rarely anyone would know of these days let alone even try to at all.
    When watching the movies you are put through and shown the hardships they face, the movies,and books, are so heart felt it's like they are real, like that story actually happened.
    Whoever thinks that LOTR's is nerdy is surely blind then because it is so much like reality now, and we are exactly at war with eachother. It's ridiculoust I just hope that people will know why LOTR's gets its popularity and why it is great.

Banned
    Status
    Aug 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Only one thing to say...
    LOTR is so badass

Status
    Aug 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Misa-Misa View Post
    Only one thing to say...
    LOTR is so badass
    Aha...couldn't agree with you more ^.^

Status
    Sep 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I love LOTR, read to book, read The Hobbit, Read Children of Hurin and tried to read the Silmarillion but found that to impossible for my little brain xD

But the movies are really good to :]

Status
    Mar 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Same as person above me. O.o

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    of marshmallows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchan View Post
    I love LOTR, read to book, read The Hobbit, Read Children of Hurin and tried to read the Silmarillion but found that to impossible for my little brain xD

But the movies are really good to :]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingwer Hatake View Post
    Same as person above me. O.o
    LOTR rocks , did someone see the extended movie version and the making of? Those are epic

Status
    Mar 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

LOTR rocks , did someone see the extended movie version and the making of? Those are epic
    Yeah, didn't see all if it, though. Watched 2 movies extended and making of stuff. >.>

Status
    Sep 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingwer Hatake View Post
    Yeah, didn't see all if it, though. Watched 2 movies extended and making of stuff. >.>
    When did you see tha second one xD We only have the first one xD

I watched all of them with a friend on our 'LOTRAddiction' weekend

Yesh, we just rock that much
    And don't have a life... at all

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    of marshmallows.

When did you see tha second one xD We only have the first one xD

I watched all of them with a friend on our 'LOTRAddiction' weekend

Yesh, we just rock that much
    And don't have a life... at all
    LOTR transcends life I'm not even going to tell how many times I saw the entire trilogy (extended)

Status
    Sep 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

When I'm watching LORT it's like... talking along.. the whole time

Me and my friend are just that cool... NOTZ xD

Status
    Oct 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I only read The Hobbit, because the actual LOTR was too hard for me :/
    Omgeez that sounds so retarded! But tis true
    But the movies are prolly just as good as the books so meh
    LOTR is one of my all time favorite trilogies, and maybe I'll read the books soon, idk

Status
    Sep 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Effie View Post
    I only read The Hobbit, because the actual LOTR was too hard for me :/
    Omgeez that sounds so retarded! But tis true
    But the movies are prolly just as good as the books so meh
    LOTR is one of my all time favorite trilogies, and maybe I'll read the books soon, idk
    You should really, just skip the first 200 pages or something
    Siriously, they bored me xD

Status
    Oct 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

You should really, just skip the first 200 pages or something
    Siriously, they bored me xD
    But that's half the book

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»