Turns out is something to do with excessive charge stored within the components of the laptop. In this situation there is a fail-safe that will stop current going to different parts and being the screen uses more power than anything it is most often affected.
Unplug the power, take the battery out and hold down the power button for around 60seconds. This will release any excess charge built up in the machine. Put the power back in and turn on. That's it. You can also then of course replace the battery.
Now there will always of course, be various reasons for your screen to fail etc but most will not allow your laptop boot with all lights on and all the little 'plink' noises you can hear which suggest the laptop has fully booted.