Page 2 of 4 « First 1234 Last»
Results 21 to 40 of 62
  1. #21
    Dragon Sage hatake axel's Avatar
    Status
    hatake axel is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    632
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    I live to enjoy the things I have, the people I im with.

    Its actually auite the opossite, there is nothing after we die.
    Then why en my life and well stop existing?
     
         

  2. #22
    Senior Member SatchiZurake's Avatar
    Status
    SatchiZurake is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,100
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Because I can accept the fact that one day I just won't exist anymore. As long as I can achieve what i want to achieve in my life time and leave behind my mark on the world that's all I need to die happy.
     
         

  3. #23
    Senior Member SatchiZurake's Avatar
    Status
    SatchiZurake is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,100
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Rib View Post
    everyone believes in heaven or hell, rather they are or arent aware of it
    Please do enlighten me, how is this true?
     
         

  4. #24
    Winter Soldier ~Sky~'s Avatar
    Status
    ~Sky~ is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,835
    NERP
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Whenever I look at things such as this, I always like to backtrack.What triggered this? What triggered that? I go back and back and back to try and see what the cause for everything is.

    But I can't find it.

    People believe in all sorts of things. Believing there is no God is equivalent to believing there is one, because neither opinion can be proven either way.

    Something that is true though: We are all here because of something special.

    The fact that there is existence, the fact that there is a universe, means that we're all part of something supernatural.

    The Universe coming into being is a supernatural event in and of itself. It's impossible to explain how we are here. No Science, no religion, and no opinion can solve this problem. Theories disprove themselves when they try to prove this.

    Reasons can be explained, but anyone educated in this matter should know that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, therefore, we shouldn't be here.

    Where did that first particle come from? What started that first spark of energy?



    Everyone believes in something. That's what keeps a person strong. The belief itself, is near insignificant.
     
         

  5. #25
    The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Shinobi Train is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,022
    Location
    Inside your head...
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>
     



    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Quote Originally Posted by 'Toxic View Post
    Really? I never need 'hope' to keep on living or pushing myself. What motivates me is my own will to achieve my goals.
    I'm not an atheist or religious but even so, I don't contemplate the idea of hope.
    When people say 'without hope, I might as well die' if I could, I would just shoot them myself. Life is much more than a simple; meaningless word such as hope.
    Hope is for the weak, who need something to believe in in order to keep on living. Just like praying wont do you any good, if you want something done then get up and fix the problem yourself, don't dwell on it.
    Well, that's quite a cold and heartless answer. So would you say that to the people who are starving in certain countries because some dictator won't stop stealing their wealth? This seems like a very inexperienced reply...
     
         

  6. #26
    The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Shinobi Train is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,022
    Location
    Inside your head...
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>
     



    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Quote Originally Posted by 'Toxic View Post
    It's reality, when was the last time that 'Hope' got you anywhere? What would I say? I would just help them, DO something about it than just sit around 'hoping' their situation gets better.
    Really? inexperienced? What do you know about me? for all you know I could of had it worse than those people starving, not everyone's life is colorful. I'm very aware of my reply, reason I even replied is b/c I can tell you my point of view from 'my experience'
    Hoping, crying, dwelling, praying on the bad things, on the things that cause you any type of pain 'DOES NOT' help you in any way. Perhaps for a while but it wont pull you out from that situation unless you "DO SOMETHING" about it.
    The day saying 'I hope' or 'feeling hope' fixes any problem, tell me.
    Well, for one, I've prayed about certain things and had said prayers answered. So yeah, hope does a lot. A large part of it though gives you the comfort you need to actually stand up and do something. I've often wondered why those people who are starving didn't simply do something, then I realized that in their situation, doing something would only get them killed.

    So wouldn't it be better to choose how you die then? Instead of standing up and fighting without a chance in hell, they should just hang themselves. However, they also happen to have hope. They're not going to off themselves just yet because their children or their children's children might just have their prayers answered.

    That's hope.
     
         

  7. #27
    Dova Billy's Avatar
    Status
    Billy is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    42,259
    Location
    at the zoo staring at pandas o.o
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Who needs hope when you got swag
    :rofl: sorry i just had to

    Ot: I dont really believe in hope or God, and i kinda agree with the Toxic dood. But im not gonna lie, this one time i was soo desperate and scared that i prayed to every God out there so i kinda do get where you're coming from too.
     
         

  8. #28
    Senior Member Germanicus's Avatar
    Status
    Germanicus is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,638
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Hope's more than a spiritual thing, or even belief. Hope is whatever wakes us up in the morning. You could say hope is an illusion, but saying you are devoid of it would be impossible. Hope is the motivation, it is your belief in tomorrow. Even if you think you no longer have the will to move, so long as you have the ability to stand the next day, you have hope. Humanity is more than what religious or anti-religious ideals, or even our own perceptions, confine us to. So long as we live, whether we believe it or not, hope exists.
     
         

  9. #29
    The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Shinobi Train is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,022
    Location
    Inside your head...
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>
     



    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Quote Originally Posted by 'Toxic View Post
    You cant really prove that, I've prayed before, sh*t never gets fixed. I'm done with that, didn't turn atheist but I also wont sit down and pray. So hopes is the only thing that drives someone to stand up and fight for their lives? wrong. Your beliefs are just like mine. 'Bias' towards one path, you believe hope can fix things and you don't see there can be other reasons why people do what they must to survive. I in the other hand don't believe so much in hope because it hasn't done anything for me- believing in hope was what almost got me killed 3 times.
    Well, is it better to just sit there and hope then? I rather die trying than sit still and hope and wait for my prayers to be answered.

    Really? so to you life = hope? Your reply is bias like I've said, you're only having one point of view yet you want to prove mine wrong. (Not saying mine isn't b/c it is as well.)

    People just take life different, we all just have different motivations that keeps us alive.
    Well, I can say that prayer helped me. The situation I was in could only have been fixed by divine power. I'm not doing that great right now, but an opportunity was opened due to the change in circumstances. I'm trying my best to take full advantage of that.

    I try to stay unbiased, but I do have to take a side. I could probably argue the other way easily enough, but that wouldn't mean that I believed it. I'm not saying that people shouldn't try, that's not my point. What I am saying is that hope gives one the will to try and not just give up.
     
         

  10. #30
    Professional Pokemon Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Status
    Bulbasaur is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    326
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    Who needs hope when you got swag
    :rofl: sorry i just had to

    Ot: I dont really believe in hope or God, and i kinda agree with the Toxic dood. But im not gonna lie, this one time i was soo desperate and scared that i prayed to every God out there so i kinda do get where you're coming from too.
    this ^^

    naw but i'm atheist and im cool with my life and dont care much about hope
     
         

  11. #31
    Sublime
    Guest

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Well I'm not exactly an atheist, atheist its a heavy word, but I do not believe there is anything supernatural after death like heaven or hell...
    Now your question is how can we not have hope. But I call this invalid since people that don't believe in afterlife have hope just not for the afterlife.
    eg. I hope that next week I'll not be too busy and I'll have time to go out with my friends. <-Hope example

    Generally we have hope for life not for death and tbh I don't see how having hope for afterlife makes anything better,to me there is no difference whether afterlife exists or not. Point is I'll die one day and my hope is to have a life to remember till that day then I dont care what happens. I don't expect anything to happen to my soul after my death (also I think you know what I believe about souls and death from another thread so there is nothing else to add)

    :going to read the other replies now:
     
         

  • #32
    Member kellzfresh's Avatar
    Status
    kellzfresh is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    953
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Quote Originally Posted by hokutoshinken View Post
    I don't know if satanic bible is related to atheism but it's a bit same to what you talk about.

    In satanic bible - The Infernal Diatribe-

    it says

    IV

    1. Life is the great indulgence - death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life - HERE AND NOW!

    2. There is no heaven of glory bright, and no hell where sinners roast. Here and now is our day of torment! Here and now is our day of joy! Here and now is our opportunity! Choose ye this day, this hour, for no redeemer liveth!

    3. Say unto thine own heart, "I am mine own redeemer."

    4. Stop the way of them that would persecute you. Let those who devise thine undoing be hurled back to confusion and infamy. Let them be as chaff before the cyclone and after they have fallen rejoice in thine own salvation.

    5. Then all thy bones shall say pridefully, "Who is like unto me? Have I not been too strong for mine adversaries? Have I not delivered MYSELF by mine own brain and body?"
    Wow I'm shocked
     
         

  • #33
    TheOriginalFatPapi ShishaMastah420's Avatar
    Status
    ShishaMastah420 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,661
    Location
    The White House roof.
    Polar Bear Furrr.
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Simple.

    Your definition of "Hope" makes it seem as though; "Hope" and "Faith" are purely religious things.

    You define hope as "Faith"... Oddly enough.

    We define "Hope" and "Faith" using science/logic/reasoning;

    Hope is the emotional state which promotes the belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life.

    Faith is confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

    You don't have to believe in nonsensical stories/ideologies to have "Faith" or "Hope".


    We have "Faith" in logical reasoning and "Hope" that logical reasoning can be provide us the truth.
     
         
    Last edited by ShishaMastah420; 09-30-2012 at 05:52 PM.

  • #34
    The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Shinobi Train is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,022
    Location
    Inside your head...
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>
     



    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Quote Originally Posted by ShishaMastah420 View Post
    Simple.

    Your definition of "Hope" makes it seem as though; "Hope" and "Faith" are purely religious things.

    You define hope as "Faith"... Oddly enough.

    We define "Hope" and "Faith" using science/logic/reasoning;

    Hope is the emotional state which promotes the belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life.

    Faith is confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

    You don't have to believe in nonsensical stories/ideologies to have "Faith" or "Hope".


    We have "Faith" in logical reasoning and "Hope" that logical reasoning can be provide us the truth.
    This seems to be what people are saying. However, what I'm saying is that faith gives one hope. Sure you may have hope without faith, but hope with faith has a different meaning entirely. Right now my family, that includes me because I'm to inheret this, is about a million dollars in debt. Now, is there anything anyone can do about it? No, we just have to keep working away, and I'll be playing with my grandkids by the time that debt goes away. However, I have hope that my Creator can simply make it go away with little effort. He could do something that gives us the means to wipe it away entirely.

    Without a Creator, one could maybe hope to win the lottery or something, but in this particular case, there really isn't another way out...except through divine power. So I have the hope that one day that debt will vanish somehow. If He wanted to, He could literally change things so that it was completely forgotten and remove all records that it ever happened. Even make the people who know about it forget entirely. We could send a check in one day, and they could simply send it back not knowing what it was for.

    Hope without faith is rather...well...hopeless.
     
         

  • #35
    Rockstar From Mars. mcchikeneater's Avatar
    Status
    mcchikeneater is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,875
    Location
    New Jersey
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Atheists don't live without hope, they learn to make their own hope rather than relying on an imaginary friend to make their hopes come true. I am kind of atheist-ish I guess, and I hope for a lot of things, but I accept that for them to happen I have to make them happen, just relying on god to do it for me is never going to make any of my hopes come true. As for hope after death or whatever, I hope that when I die I don't make too big of a mess or crap my pants in front of anyone.
     
         

  • #36
    TheOriginalFatPapi ShishaMastah420's Avatar
    Status
    ShishaMastah420 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,661
    Location
    The White House roof.
    Polar Bear Furrr.
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi Train View Post
    This seems to be what people are saying. However, what I'm saying is that faith gives one hope. Sure you may have hope without faith, but hope with faith has a different meaning entirely. Right now my family, that includes me because I'm to inheret this, is about a million dollars in debt. Now, is there anything anyone can do about it? No, we just have to keep working away, and I'll be playing with my grandkids by the time that debt goes away. However, I have hope that my Creator can simply make it go away with little effort. He could do something that gives us the means to wipe it away entirely.

    Without a Creator, one could maybe hope to win the lottery or something, but in this particular case, there really isn't another way out...except through divine power. So I have the hope that one day that debt will vanish somehow. If He wanted to, He could literally change things so that it was completely forgotten and remove all records that it ever happened. Even make the people who know about it forget entirely. We could send a check in one day, and they could simply send it back not knowing what it was for.

    Hope without faith is rather...well...hopeless.
    That is where there is a difference between theist and atheist; We(I) aren't looking for some "Divine Power" who can change things or make things better, we(I) want to take the initiative and make things better ourselves, one can say, we(I) believe in the divinity within us.

    We(I) have "Hope" and we(I) have "Faith" except they aren't the same things that a theist would define them as.
     
         

  • #37
    Tybone's Avatar
    Status
    Tybone is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8,388
    Location
    オランダ
    #Status
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    I guess I can be considered an athiest but I still have hopes, you do not need a religion to hope. You simply have to hope
     
         

  • #38
    Member SandVillageShinobi's Avatar
    Status
    SandVillageShinobi is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    742
    Location
    America
    Tell me, are you a badfish
    too?
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Have hope for the good things in life before you meet your untimely end. The end is the end, it's not so bad not having an afterlife. It's just as before you came into this world. No dreams, no memories, no you, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. I will not say that I am not scared of death, I am completely terrified, but that is merely because I don't completely understand it. You can't imagine the feeling of death or what comes after. I cannot know the feeling of non-existence and that is what terrifies me the most. None of this means that we can't still hope, we just hope for a good life while it lasts. I hope this answered your question and helped you understand a bit more.
     
         

  • #39
    The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Shinobi Train is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,022
    Location
    Inside your head...
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>
     



    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Quote Originally Posted by ShishaMastah420 View Post
    That is where there is a difference between theist and atheist; We(I) aren't looking for some "Divine Power" who can change things or make things better, we(I) want to take the initiative and make things better ourselves, one can say, we(I) believe in the divinity within us.

    We(I) have "Hope" and we(I) have "Faith" except they aren't the same things that a theist would define them as.
    Thanks, you've confirmed my theory...which I won't state due to people not understanding. ^_^
     
         

  • #40
    Member Fujin's Avatar
    Status
    Fujin is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    55
    Location
    Down Under
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

    Hope is not strictly a religious concept. I personally tend to look at the world in a scientific approach, considering that everything eventually comes down to a probability. I like to think that the actions we make have an effect on the outcome. It all comes down to how much you want something and how much you're willing to give to make something happen. Hope comes in at the end for me, once I've done all I can to realise my goal, I hope that all my efforts are enough. I hope that the 5% chance of something happening comes true. To me, if there was a god who decided to just "give" me what I wanted, what would be the point of life if it's (the god's) influence could be seen throughout my life. I don't like the idea of my life being comparable to that of a 5 year old playing in a sand box, deciding which toy gets broken and which gets to be the favourite.

    On a side note, I "hope" there is an afterlife, simply for the fact that I would be granted an eternal existence, but I simply do not believe it to be true. As an atheist I am open to the idea of a god, but I will continue to not believe there is one until there is substantial proof, which there most likely never will. Either because one does not exist or that proving the existence of a god is a paradox.
     
         

  • Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •