The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by 'Toxic View Post
    It's reality, when was the last time that 'Hope' got you anywhere? What would I say? I would just help them, DO something about it than just sit around 'hoping' their situation gets better.
    Really? inexperienced? What do you know about me? for all you know I could of had it worse than those people starving, not everyone's life is colorful. I'm very aware of my reply, reason I even replied is b/c I can tell you my point of view from 'my experience'
    Hoping, crying, dwelling, praying on the bad things, on the things that cause you any type of pain 'DOES NOT' help you in any way. Perhaps for a while but it wont pull you out from that situation unless you "DO SOMETHING" about it.
    The day saying 'I hope' or 'feeling hope' fixes any problem, tell me.
    Well, for one, I've prayed about certain things and had said prayers answered. So yeah, hope does a lot. A large part of it though gives you the comfort you need to actually stand up and do something. I've often wondered why those people who are starving didn't simply do something, then I realized that in their situation, doing something would only get them killed.

So wouldn't it be better to choose how you die then? Instead of standing up and fighting without a chance in hell, they should just hang themselves. However, they also happen to have hope. They're not going to off themselves just yet because their children or their children's children might just have their prayers answered.

That's hope.

Status
    Dec 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Who needs hope when you got swag
    :rofl: sorry i just had to

Ot: I dont really believe in hope or God, and i kinda agree with the Toxic dood. But im not gonna lie, this one time i was soo desperate and scared that i prayed to every God out there so i kinda do get where you're coming from too.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Hope's more than a spiritual thing, or even belief. Hope is whatever wakes us up in the morning. You could say hope is an illusion, but saying you are devoid of it would be impossible. Hope is the motivation, it is your belief in tomorrow. Even if you think you no longer have the will to move, so long as you have the ability to stand the next day, you have hope. Humanity is more than what religious or anti-religious ideals, or even our own perceptions, confine us to. So long as we live, whether we believe it or not, hope exists.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

You cant really prove that, I've prayed before, sh*t never gets fixed. I'm done with that, didn't turn atheist but I also wont sit down and pray. So hopes is the only thing that drives someone to stand up and fight for their lives? wrong. Your beliefs are just like mine. 'Bias' towards one path, you believe hope can fix things and you don't see there can be other reasons why people do what they must to survive. I in the other hand don't believe so much in hope because it hasn't done anything for me- believing in hope was what almost got me killed 3 times.
    Well, is it better to just sit there and hope then? I rather die trying than sit still and hope and wait for my prayers to be answered.

Really? so to you life = hope? Your reply is bias like I've said, you're only having one point of view yet you want to prove mine wrong. (Not saying mine isn't b/c it is as well.)

People just take life different, we all just have different motivations that keeps us alive.
    Well, I can say that prayer helped me. The situation I was in could only have been fixed by divine power. I'm not doing that great right now, but an opportunity was opened due to the change in circumstances. I'm trying my best to take full advantage of that.

I try to stay unbiased, but I do have to take a side. I could probably argue the other way easily enough, but that wouldn't mean that I believed it. I'm not saying that people shouldn't try, that's not my point. What I am saying is that hope gives one the will to try and not just give up.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    Who needs hope when you got swag
    :rofl: sorry i just had to

Ot: I dont really believe in hope or God, and i kinda agree with the Toxic dood. But im not gonna lie, this one time i was soo desperate and scared that i prayed to every God out there so i kinda do get where you're coming from too.
    this ^^

naw but i'm atheist and im cool with my life and dont care much about hope

Sublime

Well I'm not exactly an atheist, atheist its a heavy word, but I do not believe there is anything supernatural after death like heaven or hell...
    Now your question is how can we not have hope. But I call this invalid since people that don't believe in afterlife have hope just not for the afterlife.
    eg. I hope that next week I'll not be too busy and I'll have time to go out with my friends. <-Hope example

Generally we have hope for life not for death and tbh I don't see how having hope for afterlife makes anything better,to me there is no difference whether afterlife exists or not. Point is I'll die one day and my hope is to have a life to remember till that day then I dont care what happens. I don't expect anything to happen to my soul after my death (also I think you know what I believe about souls and death from another thread so there is nothing else to add)

:going to read the other replies now:

Status
    Jul 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by hokutoshinken View Post
    I don't know if satanic bible is related to atheism but it's a bit same to what you talk about.

In satanic bible - The Infernal Diatribe-

it says

IV

1. Life is the great indulgence - death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life - HERE AND NOW!

2. There is no heaven of glory bright, and no hell where sinners roast. Here and now is our day of torment! Here and now is our day of joy! Here and now is our opportunity! Choose ye this day, this hour, for no redeemer liveth!

3. Say unto thine own heart, "I am mine own redeemer."

4. Stop the way of them that would persecute you. Let those who devise thine undoing be hurled back to confusion and infamy. Let them be as chaff before the cyclone and after they have fallen rejoice in thine own salvation.

5. Then all thy bones shall say pridefully, "Who is like unto me? Have I not been too strong for mine adversaries? Have I not delivered MYSELF by mine own brain and body?"
    Wow I'm shocked

TheOriginalFatPapi ShishaMastah420's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polar Bear Furrr.

Simple.

Your definition of "Hope" makes it seem as though; "Hope" and "Faith" are purely religious things.

You define hope as "Faith"... Oddly enough.

We define "Hope" and "Faith" using science/logic/reasoning;

Hope is the emotional state which promotes the belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life.

Faith is confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

You don't have to believe in nonsensical stories/ideologies to have "Faith" or "Hope".

We have "Faith" in logical reasoning and "Hope" that logical reasoning can be provide us the truth.

Last edited by ShishaMastah420; 09-30-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Quote Originally Posted by ShishaMastah420 View Post
    Simple.

Your definition of "Hope" makes it seem as though; "Hope" and "Faith" are purely religious things.

You define hope as "Faith"... Oddly enough.

We define "Hope" and "Faith" using science/logic/reasoning;

Hope is the emotional state which promotes the belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life.

Faith is confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

You don't have to believe in nonsensical stories/ideologies to have "Faith" or "Hope".

We have "Faith" in logical reasoning and "Hope" that logical reasoning can be provide us the truth.
    This seems to be what people are saying. However, what I'm saying is that faith gives one hope. Sure you may have hope without faith, but hope with faith has a different meaning entirely. Right now my family, that includes me because I'm to inheret this, is about a million dollars in debt. Now, is there anything anyone can do about it? No, we just have to keep working away, and I'll be playing with my grandkids by the time that debt goes away. However, I have hope that my Creator can simply make it go away with little effort. He could do something that gives us the means to wipe it away entirely.

Without a Creator, one could maybe hope to win the lottery or something, but in this particular case, there really isn't another way out...except through divine power. So I have the hope that one day that debt will vanish somehow. If He wanted to, He could literally change things so that it was completely forgotten and remove all records that it ever happened. Even make the people who know about it forget entirely. We could send a check in one day, and they could simply send it back not knowing what it was for.

Hope without faith is rather...well...hopeless.

Rockstar From Mars. mcchikeneater's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Atheists don't live without hope, they learn to make their own hope rather than relying on an imaginary friend to make their hopes come true. I am kind of atheist-ish I guess, and I hope for a lot of things, but I accept that for them to happen I have to make them happen, just relying on god to do it for me is never going to make any of my hopes come true. As for hope after death or whatever, I hope that when I die I don't make too big of a mess or crap my pants in front of anyone.

TheOriginalFatPapi ShishaMastah420's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polar Bear Furrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi Train View Post
    This seems to be what people are saying. However, what I'm saying is that faith gives one hope. Sure you may have hope without faith, but hope with faith has a different meaning entirely. Right now my family, that includes me because I'm to inheret this, is about a million dollars in debt. Now, is there anything anyone can do about it? No, we just have to keep working away, and I'll be playing with my grandkids by the time that debt goes away. However, I have hope that my Creator can simply make it go away with little effort. He could do something that gives us the means to wipe it away entirely.

Without a Creator, one could maybe hope to win the lottery or something, but in this particular case, there really isn't another way out...except through divine power. So I have the hope that one day that debt will vanish somehow. If He wanted to, He could literally change things so that it was completely forgotten and remove all records that it ever happened. Even make the people who know about it forget entirely. We could send a check in one day, and they could simply send it back not knowing what it was for.

Hope without faith is rather...well...hopeless.
    That is where there is a difference between theist and atheist; We(I) aren't looking for some "Divine Power" who can change things or make things better, we(I) want to take the initiative and make things better ourselves, one can say, we(I) believe in the divinity within us.

We(I) have "Hope" and we(I) have "Faith" except they aren't the same things that a theist would define them as.

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I guess I can be considered an athiest but I still have hopes, you do not need a religion to hope. You simply have to hope

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me, are you a badfish
    too?

Have hope for the good things in life before you meet your untimely end. The end is the end, it's not so bad not having an afterlife. It's just as before you came into this world. No dreams, no memories, no you, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. I will not say that I am not scared of death, I am completely terrified, but that is merely because I don't completely understand it. You can't imagine the feeling of death or what comes after. I cannot know the feeling of non-existence and that is what terrifies me the most. None of this means that we can't still hope, we just hope for a good life while it lasts. I hope this answered your question and helped you understand a bit more.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Quote Originally Posted by ShishaMastah420 View Post
    That is where there is a difference between theist and atheist; We(I) aren't looking for some "Divine Power" who can change things or make things better, we(I) want to take the initiative and make things better ourselves, one can say, we(I) believe in the divinity within us.

We(I) have "Hope" and we(I) have "Faith" except they aren't the same things that a theist would define them as.
    Thanks, you've confirmed my theory...which I won't state due to people not understanding. ^_^

Status
    Feb 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Hope is not strictly a religious concept. I personally tend to look at the world in a scientific approach, considering that everything eventually comes down to a probability. I like to think that the actions we make have an effect on the outcome. It all comes down to how much you want something and how much you're willing to give to make something happen. Hope comes in at the end for me, once I've done all I can to realise my goal, I hope that all my efforts are enough. I hope that the 5% chance of something happening comes true. To me, if there was a god who decided to just "give" me what I wanted, what would be the point of life if it's (the god's) influence could be seen throughout my life. I don't like the idea of my life being comparable to that of a 5 year old playing in a sand box, deciding which toy gets broken and which gets to be the favourite.

On a side note, I "hope" there is an afterlife, simply for the fact that I would be granted an eternal existence, but I simply do not believe it to be true. As an atheist I am open to the idea of a god, but I will continue to not believe there is one until there is substantial proof, which there most likely never will. Either because one does not exist or that proving the existence of a god is a paradox.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Well.....

If u 'hope' that u will survive if u jump off mount Everest naked . . . . then ur a utter *insert proper advective*

But if u work hard for an exam and then 'hope' for a good result . . . . . then it has good chance to happen, though there are many of probabilities depending on thousands of variables but they are all independent of what a person believes. U dont need a deity to 'hope' for something.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I really don't even think about it. Just live life everyday doing what one must do. If death comes then it will just be a surprised to what happens after that. I am aware of the christian way of how one must live life and to achieve eternal life in heaven but still not to fully convinced. Sometimes i tend to win arguments when it comes to religion even though I and not into it. But like i said earlier, just live life, enjoy it. If it comes to an end then you will know what happens then.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let My Own Lack of a Voice Be
    Heard!

Thanks, you've confirmed my theory...which I won't state due to people not understanding. ^_^
    I am sad!
    Why?
    I don't want to talk about it!

Status
    Nov 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I do say the word 'I hope I get that PS3 model one day" but it's not out of religious belief. I just never give the word hope any real credit. Just like me using other words. It fits
    But seriously, I was thinking about it and hopes not all that drives people though. In some cases it can be but it's not the same for everyone. To be honest, my purpose in life is find the answers to all my questions. Maybe God or Jesus will be the only ones to answer. Do I believe in heaven? maybe, hell? maybe I'm always in between but do tend to fall back into christians beliefs. Just that at the moment, hope hasn't done much for me. Maybe one day hope will help me, who knows but even so, it doesn't mean I will just sit there and hope all day until my prayers are answered. I will keep moving forward. You cant expect god to do everything for you in life, you have to find your own ways to push the impediments away from your life on your own.
    Just wanted to say that theists dont just sit around doing nothing and praying. I believe in god but I dont expect him to do anything for me. All I can do is ask for help. Nothing is just going to fall into my lap you have to get up and do it ur self. The reason I believe in god is because I was brought up in it but also because of personal experiences so I cant say for anyone else. In the Quran it even says that God helps those who help themselves.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Kelvin View Post
    I am sad!
    Why?
    I don't want to talk about it!
    Ya' know, you can really be an ass at times.

Fine, I'll explain it:

one can say, we(I) believe in the divinity within us.
    Atheism = humanism = religion. Atheism is a religion, but the deity is humanity itself. They go to church too...every time they step in their institutions or clinics or whatever you want to call it. Atheistic science is a religion, no matter how you slice it.

Alright, you can flame me now...but it would be strange to flame me for speaking the truth.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me, are you a badfish
    too?

Ya' know, you can really be an ass at times.

Fine, I'll explain it:

Atheism = humanism = religion. Atheism is a religion, but the deity is humanity itself. They go to church too...every time they step in their institutions or clinics or whatever you want to call it. Atheistic science is a religion, no matter how you slice it.

Alright, you can flame me now...but it would be strange to flame me for speaking the truth.
    Honestly, who could possibly flame you for that? I m an atheist and everything you said was correct. Atheist's typically believe in things that are or can be proven by science and what they believe is logical ties in with what is scientifical.

Sublime

I agree with the final observation too and I don't find it offensive at all.
    It's just that atheist is too much of a heavy word [can't think of a better synonim] if you consider that most people when in extremely tense and challenging situation turn to God for help...

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroyed all adventure, the
    only adventure left is to
    destroy society

Excuse me but why can't Atheists hope? it's bullshit. Not believing in man written book about how world was created in 7 days etc all other shit combined has nothing to do with not believing nor hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    I agree with the final observation too and I don't find it offensive at all.
    It's just that atheist is too much of a heavy word [can't think of a better synonim] if you consider that most people when in extremely tense and challenging situation turn to God for help...
    wow.. and doe's it help?

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    wow.. and doe's it help?
    Probably not,but that doesn't mean you dont say 'Oh god please help me get out of situation X' when you feel like you cant do anything.
    Don't tell me you have never done it >.>

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroyed all adventure, the
    only adventure left is to
    destroy society

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Probably not,but that doesn't mean you dont say 'Oh god please help me get out of situation X' when you feel like you cant do anything.
    Don't tell me you have never done it >.>
    There's nothing you can't do at any situation. Just think you're way out of it, pray to god...is waste of time.

But I may said few times things like howly shit, ****ing god or jesus :3