Page 3 of 4 « First 1234 Last»
    Status
    Sep 2010
    This user has no status.

Re: An extremely friendly question to athiests. ^_^

Well.....

If u 'hope' that u will survive if u jump off mount Everest naked . . . . then ur a utter *insert proper advective*

But if u work hard for an exam and then 'hope' for a good result . . . . . then it has good chance to happen, though there are many of probabilities depending on thousands of variables but they are all independent of what a person believes. U dont need a deity to 'hope' for something.

Status
    Jun 2012
    This user has no status.

I really don't even think about it. Just live life everyday doing what one must do. If death comes then it will just be a surprised to what happens after that. I am aware of the christian way of how one must live life and to achieve eternal life in heaven but still not to fully convinced. Sometimes i tend to win arguments when it comes to religion even though I and not into it. But like i said earlier, just live life, enjoy it. If it comes to an end then you will know what happens then.

Status
    Like brothers we share. I want
    it all, take it back if you
    dare.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi Train View Post
    Thanks, you've confirmed my theory...which I won't state due to people not understanding. ^_^
    I am sad!
    Why?
    I don't want to talk about it!

Status
    Nov 2011
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Toxic View Post
    I do say the word 'I hope I get that PS3 model one day" but it's not out of religious belief. I just never give the word hope any real credit. Just like me using other words. It fits
    But seriously, I was thinking about it and hopes not all that drives people though. In some cases it can be but it's not the same for everyone. To be honest, my purpose in life is find the answers to all my questions. Maybe God or Jesus will be the only ones to answer. Do I believe in heaven? maybe, hell? maybe I'm always in between but do tend to fall back into christians beliefs. Just that at the moment, hope hasn't done much for me. Maybe one day hope will help me, who knows but even so, it doesn't mean I will just sit there and hope all day until my prayers are answered. I will keep moving forward. You cant expect god to do everything for you in life, you have to find your own ways to push the impediments away from your life on your own.
    Just wanted to say that theists dont just sit around doing nothing and praying. I believe in god but I dont expect him to do anything for me. All I can do is ask for help. Nothing is just going to fall into my lap you have to get up and do it ur self. The reason I believe in god is because I was brought up in it but also because of personal experiences so I cant say for anyone else. In the Quran it even says that God helps those who help themselves.

The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Kelvin View Post
    I am sad!
    Why?
    I don't want to talk about it!
    Ya' know, you can really be an ass at times.

Fine, I'll explain it:

one can say, we(I) believe in the divinity within us.
    Atheism = humanism = religion. Atheism is a religion, but the deity is humanity itself. They go to church too...every time they step in their institutions or clinics or whatever you want to call it. Atheistic science is a religion, no matter how you slice it.

Alright, you can flame me now...but it would be strange to flame me for speaking the truth.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Tell me, are you a badfish
    too?

Ya' know, you can really be an ass at times.

Fine, I'll explain it:

Atheism = humanism = religion. Atheism is a religion, but the deity is humanity itself. They go to church too...every time they step in their institutions or clinics or whatever you want to call it. Atheistic science is a religion, no matter how you slice it.

Alright, you can flame me now...but it would be strange to flame me for speaking the truth.
    Honestly, who could possibly flame you for that? I m an atheist and everything you said was correct. Atheist's typically believe in things that are or can be proven by science and what they believe is logical ties in with what is scientifical.

Sublime

I agree with the final observation too and I don't find it offensive at all.
    It's just that atheist is too much of a heavy word [can't think of a better synonim] if you consider that most people when in extremely tense and challenging situation turn to God for help...

Status
    Feb 2010
    In a society that has
    destroyed all adventure, the
    only adventure left is to
    destroy society

Excuse me but why can't Atheists hope? it's bullshit. Not believing in man written book about how world was created in 7 days etc all other shit combined has nothing to do with not believing nor hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    I agree with the final observation too and I don't find it offensive at all.
    It's just that atheist is too much of a heavy word [can't think of a better synonim] if you consider that most people when in extremely tense and challenging situation turn to God for help...
    wow.. and doe's it help?

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    wow.. and doe's it help?
    Probably not,but that doesn't mean you dont say 'Oh god please help me get out of situation X' when you feel like you cant do anything.
    Don't tell me you have never done it >.>

Status
    Feb 2010
    In a society that has
    destroyed all adventure, the
    only adventure left is to
    destroy society

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Probably not,but that doesn't mean you dont say 'Oh god please help me get out of situation X' when you feel like you cant do anything.
    Don't tell me you have never done it >.>
    There's nothing you can't do at any situation. Just think you're way out of it, pray to god...is waste of time.

But I may said few times things like howly shit, ****ing god or jesus :3

Status
    Oct 2011
    This user has no status.

I'd like to emphasize that this question is purely out of curiosity. It is not meant, in any way, to be inflammatory. This is just something I cannot comprehend on any level, so asking for an explanation from those who do understand is the most logical course of action.

Those who have belief also have hope. Hope in something greater that happens after death. Hope that they will be spared something aweful during life. Hope that their choices make a difference in the long run.

Those without any faith, pure atheism, do not have this hope. It's completely out of their range unless they accept some belief. To me, this lack of hope is worse than death. I'd have commited suicide a long time ago actually if I did not have hope. It's the hope that has allowed me to live as long as I have, otherwise I wouldn't be making this thread right now.

So my question to atheists is: how do you live without hope?

I'd rather not have this thread shut down too early, so try not to troll. Thanks. ^_^
    Atheism, being more of a philosophy that a theology — since it's the absence of theos, is a philosophical stance that doesn't support or deny hope in the way you are posing.

For instance, since our universe can't be said to have an observable 'supernatural' aspect to it due to the fact that all of observable reality is in fact called reality. There for even in the position of atheism one can hope for an after life — reincarnation, the transformation of consciousness, the transmigration of mater & energy, levels of consciousness, conscious being as multidimensional entities, etc..

After all, depending on your definition of the divine an atheist can also be a pantheist.

Status
    Aug 2010
    See your world through my
    eyes: A universe so vast as to
    be immeasurable -
    incomprehensible even to your
    greatest minds.

I'd like to emphasize that this question is purely out of curiosity. It is not meant, in any way, to be inflammatory. This is just something I cannot comprehend on any level, so asking for an explanation from those who do understand is the most logical course of action.

Those who have belief also have hope. Hope in something greater that happens after death. Hope that they will be spared something aweful during life. Hope that their choices make a difference in the long run.

Those without any faith, pure atheism, do not have this hope. It's completely out of their range unless they accept some belief. To me, this lack of hope is worse than death. I'd have commited suicide a long time ago actually if I did not have hope. It's the hope that has allowed me to live as long as I have, otherwise I wouldn't be making this thread right now.

I'd rather not have this thread shut down too early, so try not to troll. Thanks. ^_^
    i have plenty of hope in things that are actually possible

personally I think the worse thing that can happen to a living being is to exist for ever, ever been really bored? i bet you have, but in one life span you have things to do so you ignore those times youre really bored and frustrated

ok now try to comprehend the meaning the word ''infinite'' holds, even if you cant imagine it (no human can btw) if you understand certain aspects of it you see that to live for ever would suck ... well, infinitely

Status
    Jul 2009
    Avoiding responsibilities.

I don't. I hope that there's life after dead, but I don't believe in God. I was never taught to. Atheism doesn't limit hope at all.

Status
    Dec 2011
    #uknowimakeufeelsometypeofway

well hope in something soon because jesus christ said that you are either with him or against him .... hope to choose wisely

Status
    O__O'

Well, the way I see it is eventually we will all die. I do not have any hope for a better life after death, I only hope that in some way I have made a memorable contribution to society. This involves me having to put a lot of work in so that I can find my path in life and provide something to be remembers for. In a way I see death as an encouragement to achieve, not as something to look forward and start a new 'life'. The way I see it while I may be out of range of your hope in a new life, you won't be able to fully commit yourself to the hope I hold thus making you out if it's range.

This is my answer and I think many atheists would answer you question in this way.

Banned
    Status
    Oct 2012
    This user has no status.

I rather put hope and faith in my life and work hard to succeed in what I want to do in this life

Than putting faith in fiction book written prob around 2,000 years ago when human didn't know shit yet

Status
    Like brothers we share. I want
    it all, take it back if you
    dare.

Quote Originally Posted by SandVillageShinobi View Post
    Honestly, who could possibly flame you for that? I m an atheist and everything you said was correct. Atheist's typically believe in things that are or can be proven by science and what they believe is logical ties in with what is scientifical.
    Wut?
    As an Atheist, one does not hold any belief in God.
    Atheist - without belief.
    Being an Atheist, I'm not, per definition, claiming that your God doesn't exist, I simply hold no belief in the aforementioned diety, or any deity for that matter.
    I hold no belief, therefore I am an Atheist.
    If Atheism was a religion, it wouldn't be Atheism, because you would hold belief in a supernatural being. When you claim that Atheists 'believe' in Science, you're no longer talking about Atheists, as Atheism has nothing to do with science.
    I could be an Atheist and believe that Jewish Zionists were behind 9/11. You don't have to be 'logical' or 'sciency' to be an Atheist, you simply have to not believe in a deity.
    When most of you think of Atheists, you think of people who claim that God doesn't exists. While many do just that, Atheism, by itself, is simply the absence of belief.
    Atheists who argument for the notion that God doesn't exists are known as Gnostic Atheists, because they're sure that God dooesn't exists. (There are many levels of this - some Gnostic Atheists are just as ignorant as Gnostic Theists, their counterparts)
    Atheism is not a religion - Just as not believing in Santa doesn't make you a non-santa-believer. You simply hold no belief in Santa, just as Atheists hold no belief in God.