Page 3 of 7 « First 1234567 Last»
    Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Evolution. Were we really envolve from monkeys?

-Sigh- Ok i'm going to explain EVOLUTION (not envolvolution or whatever you said)

1. We did not evolve from monkeys.
    2. We shared a common ancestor many years millions of years ago. We could call them Old Kingdom Monkeys.
    3. From these Old Kingdom Monkeys derived many species of monkeys i.e. Orangutan and Gorillas.
    4. Eventually we get apes, which is closer to us in the evolution chart.
    5. We then are closer when we shared a common ancestor with Neanderthals, however they died off because of Natural Selection.

This leads me onto my next point.
    Natural Selection. THIS IS A THEORY OF EVOLUTION. The genius who came up with this was called Charles Darwin.
    In short, natural selection means survival of the fittest. So, say for instance, a beetle baby was born with a random mutation.
    This random mutation helped this baby beetle to survive more easily (high survival chance against environment/predators/etc), so we could say maybe this random mutation was a harder shell. This beetle with a harder shell reproduces with another beetle, and some of its offspring will have inherited this, more children will be born with this 'mutation' the father or mother had depending if it is a recessive or dominant allele.

Right, so there are more beetles with hard shells. Suddenly the cat population increases, and they get sharper claws (by their own natural selection). The beetles with softer shells get hurt a lot more easily, as these sharper claws can kill them. They will all eventually die off. The beetles with hard shells survive. Thus Natural Selection has taken place and the beetle has evolved.

Get it? We have stopped evolving almost because we are keeping the unfit/sick/disabled/unintelligent alive, which is not survival of the fittest. The random mutation causing our brain to have a conscience and morality was a gift or a curse? ( I think gift..)

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me, are you a badfish
    too?

Quote Originally Posted by Yusuke Urameshi View Post
    You do realize Christianity's been persecuted for a couple thousand years, while evolution less than 200. If anyone's known or knows persecution, it'd be the Christians. However, I do see where you're coming from saying we shouldn't judge. I also agree that if I don't believe the same thing as someone else, I'm not going to bash them or hate them for their beliefs.
    Thank you sir, that is exactly what I was saying. I don't care what others believe in even if it may be different than mine, but I won't insult someone else's religion.(:

Status
    Nov 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Regardless of what genes we "share" with primates, the genetic information expresses itself in completely different ways. Did you know humans and bananas share about 50% similar genes? Meaningless.

It's how the information contained in the genes is expressed that counts, not the similarities in makeup. I like to use the example: GODISNOWHERE. That might say GOD IS NOW HERE or GOD IS NOWHERE. One hundred percent similar letters (makeup). Completely opposite meaning (expression). So the number of genes, pseudo or not, that we share with chimps or bananas is meaningless. Genes just happen to be the carriers of information.

How that information is interpreted and expressed is what's important, and evolution has no explanation for either the source of the information in the genes, nor for its origin, nor for the complex mode of transmission and its expression in various phenotypes. You can't explain any of it by random, mindless processes.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by hokutoshinken View Post
    Regardless of what genes we "share" with primates, the genetic information expresses itself in completely different ways. Did you know humans and bananas share about 50% similar genes? Meaningless.

It's how the information contained in the genes is expressed that counts, not the similarities in makeup. I like to use the example: GODISNOWHERE. That might say GOD IS NOW HERE or GOD IS NOWHERE. One hundred percent similar letters (makeup). Completely opposite meaning (expression). So the number of genes, pseudo or not, that we share with chimps or bananas is meaningless. Genes just happen to be the carriers of information.

How that information is interpreted and expressed is what's important, and evolution has no explanation for either the source of the information in the genes, nor for its origin, nor for the complex mode of transmission and its expression in various phenotypes. You can't explain any of it by random, mindless processes.
    Orrrr, you're denying the chance to broaden your horizon...apparently both upon language and science. Nothing is "meaningless"; everything in life has a purpose, and it would be better appreciated, if people like you didn't attempt to lower the value on some of life's beautiful little mysteries.

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Epie View Post
    -Sigh- Ok i'm going to explain EVOLUTION (not envolvolution or whatever you said)

1. We did not evolve from monkeys.
    2. We shared a common ancestor many years millions of years ago. We could call them Old Kingdom Monkeys.
    3. From these Old Kingdom Monkeys derived many species of monkeys i.e. Orangutan and Gorillas.
    4. Eventually we get apes, which is closer to us in the evolution chart.
    5. We then are closer when we shared a common ancestor with Neanderthals, however they died off because of Natural Selection.

This leads me onto my next point.
    Natural Selection. THIS IS A THEORY OF EVOLUTION. The genius who came up with this was called Charles Darwin.
    In short, natural selection means survival of the fittest. So, say for instance, a beetle baby was born with a random mutation.
    This random mutation helped this baby beetle to survive more easily (high survival chance against environment/predators/etc), so we could say maybe this random mutation was a harder shell. This beetle with a harder shell reproduces with another beetle, and some of its offspring will have inherited this, more children will be born with this 'mutation' the father or mother had depending if it is a recessive or dominant allele.

Right, so there are more beetles with hard shells. Suddenly the cat population increases, and they get sharper claws (by their own natural selection). The beetles with softer shells get hurt a lot more easily, as these sharper claws can kill them. They will all eventually die off. The beetles with hard shells survive. Thus Natural Selection has taken place and the beetle has evolved.

Get it? We have stopped evolving almost because we are keeping the unfit/sick/disabled/unintelligent alive, which is not survival of the fittest. The random mutation causing our brain to have a conscience and morality was a gift or a curse? ( I think gift..)
    How would you explain disease, such as diabetes, which is hereditary? Yes, we have medicine 'stopping' natural selection. Regardless, the person with diabetes would mate and have another baby with diabetes and so on and so forth. Diabetes can hardly be called a gift, but rather a result of sin, which makes everything in this world deteriorate instead of get better.

Status
    Nov 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Orrrr, you're denying the chance to broaden your horizon...apparently both upon language and science. Nothing is "meaningless"; everything in life has a purpose, and it would be better appreciated, if people like you didn't attempt to lower the value on some of life's beautiful little mysteries.
    I like how evolutionists always have to come up with a reason or purpose for things and why they do what they do. If their religion is true, there really IS no purpose or design in anything. Richard Dawkins, the well-known atheist evolutionist wannabe philosopher, even admits things have an "appearance of design" but then dogmatically insists they were not designed. Brilliant, eh? How does something have the "appearance" of design with no design involved? Genius. you have to be REALLY SMART to believe in evolution. Or at least you have to think you are.

Keep being strong. You're on the winning side! Evolution is destined for the scientific trash bins of history.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I like how evolutionists always have to come up with a reason or purpose for things and why they do what they do. If their religion is true, there really IS no purpose or design in anything. Richard Dawkins, the well-known atheist evolutionist wannabe philosopher, even admits things have an "appearance of design" but then dogmatically insists they were not designed. Brilliant, eh? How does something have the "appearance" of design with no design involved? Genius. you have to be REALLY SMART to believe in evolution. Or at least you have to think you are.

Keep being strong. You're on the winning side! Evolution is destined for the scientific trash bins of history.
    Do you even realize what you're saying? Evolution is not a religion! Wake up dude, this is real life! Things need reasons to be true! Especially scientific research which has had years of agonizing testing and perfecting. All Creationism has is a book which was changed, censored, and distorted by bigots who used the content they wanted for the purposes they wanted, on so many occasions that the Bible practically doesn't even have one uniform rendition. Evolution has been prodded, molded, and supported with actual research and testing. Creationism was by nature manipulative and deceitful, has no proven factual evidence, whether historical scientific or otherwise, and is therefore not sufficient to be called a proper basis for the foundation of life! That's really it now; if y'all truly can't believe that there's more out there than a magical creation of man, I truly have very little hope that this generation can accomplish anything meaningful.

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Do you even realize what you're saying? Evolution is not a religion! Wake up dude, this is real life! Things need reasons to be true! Especially scientific research which has had years of agonizing testing and perfecting. All Creationism has is a book which was changed, censored, and distorted by bigots who used the content they wanted for the purposes they wanted, on so many occasions that the Bible practically doesn't even have one uniform rendition. Evolution has been prodded, molded, and supported with actual research and testing. Creationism was by nature manipulative and deceitful, has no proven factual evidence, whether historical scientific or otherwise, and is therefore not sufficient to be called a proper basis for the foundation of life! That's really it now; if y'all truly can't believe that there's more out there than a magical creation of man, I truly have very little hope that this generation can accomplish anything meaningful.
    The fact that evolution has to modify itself and its theories proves that it is an unstable 'religion'. It has to modify itself so that it won't collapse. The Bible, on the other hand, was written in a span of 1500 years and hasn't changed what it says. Even with new discoveries and new technology, the Bible is yet to be proven false.

Am I the only one that thinks that a book, written over 1500 years by over 40 people, that doesn't contradict itself once is anything but supernatural or inspired?

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    We Do Not Sow

Just because you say something doesn't make it true.....

I suppose you believe Moses fit two of every animal on earth onto a boat he built, correct?

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Hey there, I used to be a Young Earth Creationist and I know how you feel. Could you tell me what you think about this video?

How would you explain disease, such as diabetes, which is hereditary? Yes, we have medicine 'stopping' natural selection. Regardless, the person with diabetes would mate and have another baby with diabetes and so on and so forth. Diabetes can hardly be called a gift, but rather a result of sin, which makes everything in this world deteriorate instead of get better.
    Actually that fit's nicely in to the model of Evolution we have — it's actually well known in evolutionary biology that +90% of genetic mutations with a species genetic code are negative to the life of that animal.

Diabetes would fit that bill. Hence diabetes doesn't contradict evolutionary biology.

First and for most, your making wide sweeping assumptions about every person who understands and accepts evolutionary theory. That's fallacious and not convincing. Do you appreciate it when others make sweeping statements about theists that don't apply to you? No, of corse you don't. So please, just stop.

I use to be a Fundamentalist Christian then decided to take on the mantle of Atheist for many years till finally only a few years ago I discovered that I was a Pantheist. On top of being a Pantheist I also understand and accept the theory of evolution —

Do you have any questions on how I could be both a 'theist' and some one who accepts evolutionary theory?

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

the ammount of ****ing dumbassery on this site has just blown my mind..

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Just because you say something doesn't make it true.....

I suppose you believe Moses fit two of every animal on earth onto a boat he built, correct?
    No, but I do believe Noah did. An elephant back then is not necessarily the size it is today. That plays into adaptation and all that jazz. Also, after the flood, the atmosphere became 1/7th of what it was. This caused UV rays and other rays to penetrate the earth easier, thus changing biology. A creationist even built a mini-biosphere capsule just as the world had been pre-flood. Through his research, he found that he could make animals change size. He made a piranha somewhere around 40% larger, maybe more, than what it is today. That proves that back then, animals weren't the exact same as they are today. With that, it's not impossible to believe Noah fit all of those animals on his boat. It's a pretty big boat btw.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

do you understand the concepts of nuclear decay, radio active tracing, red shift blue shift speeds, the big bang, the formation of planets string theory, mitosis/miosis, gravity, orbits, space, anything you honestly have no clue what you are saying sience has prooven 100 times over that A we evolved and B the planet/universe is billions of years old my lord you are stupid. i generally dont get mad on here but WOW!

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

No, but I do believe Noah did. An elephant back then is not necessarily the size it is today. That plays into adaptation and all that jazz. Also, after the flood, the atmosphere became 1/7th of what it was. This caused UV rays and other rays to penetrate the earth easier, thus changing biology. A creationist even built a mini-biosphere capsule just as the world had been pre-flood. Through his research, he found that he could make animals change size. He made a piranha somewhere around 40% larger, maybe more, than what it is today. That proves that back then, animals weren't the exact same as they are today. With that, it's not impossible to believe Noah fit all of those animals on his boat. It's a pretty big boat btw.
    you are so wrong on sooooo many levels.

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    We Do Not Sow

It doesn't matter if animals were under a pound back then. There are literally millions of species. The size of the boat wouldn't just have to be "big" it would have to be the size of countries, or a continent. Noah wouldn't be capable of gathering all of that wood and building the ship himself, then gathering two of every animal (while ignoring the Dinosaurs) within a thousand life times, let alone one. Its just not possible. So your statement before about the bible not being proven wrong, is factually false. Not to mention it directly contradicts itself plenty of times.

Also, care to link where you're getting your "facts" from? Because they're most certainly not true.

Simple Logic TheCloudsBlackLightning's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you feel like you hate
    your life,, its only because
    your stuck in someone elses
    flow. You must first go with
    the flow if ever you ever wish
    for things to get better. Go
    with the flow=acceptance.

Scientists believe in monkeys.
    Religious people believe in God.
    The two sides contradict one another and thats one of the reasons for pathetic religious wars.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

It doesn't matter if animals were under a pound back then. There are literally millions of species. The size of the boat wouldn't just have to be "big" it would have to be the size of countries, or a continent. Noah wouldn't be capable of gathering all of that wood and building the ship himself, then gathering two of every animal (while ignoring the Dinosaurs) within a thousand life times, let alone one. Its just not possible. So your statement before about the bible not being proven wrong, is factually false. Not to mention it directly contradicts itself plenty of times.

Also, care to link where you're getting your "facts" from? Because they're most certainly not true.
    the bible isnt a book of "facts" it is a spiritual guidline ment to be interpreted he is just taking everything at face value which is soooooo ignorant

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCloudsBlackLightning View Post
    Scientists believe in monkeys.
    Religious people believe in God.
    The two sides contradict one another and thats one of the reasons for pathetic religious wars.
    even the religious believe in evolution these people are merely stuck in the dark ages when religion rejected science instead of adapting and reinterpreting

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

No, but I do believe Noah did. An elephant back then is not necessarily the size it is today. That plays into adaptation and all that jazz. Also, after the flood, the atmosphere became 1/7th of what it was.
    Can you show me a link to this information? A study done on when a flood that covered all of the land on the earth happened? Evidence? A name of a scientist that can support what your saying?

This caused UV rays and other rays to penetrate the earth easier, thus changing biology. A creationist even built a mini-biosphere capsule just as the world had been pre-flood.
    What was his name? Do you know the name of his research paper?

Through his research, he found that he could make animals change size. He made a piranha somewhere around 40% larger, maybe more, than what it is today. That proves that back then, animals weren't the exact same as they are today. With that, it's not impossible to believe Noah fit all of those animals on his boat. It's a pretty big boat btw.
    When did this flood happen? Is it the same flood that is written about in the bible?

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

You do know dogs come from wolves? It's highly unlikely that back then, Noah had a pet pug or Great Dane. Through cross-breeding, new species are made. They didn't have those species back then. So really, you wouldn't need a boat the size of a continent.

There's a thing called the Internet. I shouldn't have to have a Works Cited page because you don't believe what I'm saying. And you don't ask all the other Evolutionists here for their links and sites. It's a little thing called credibility. If you don't believe what I say, that's your choice.

Simple Logic TheCloudsBlackLightning's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you feel like you hate
    your life,, its only because
    your stuck in someone elses
    flow. You must first go with
    the flow if ever you ever wish
    for things to get better. Go
    with the flow=acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatninja13 View Post
    even the religious believe in evolution these people are merely stuck in the dark ages when religion rejected science instead of adapting and reinterpreting
    True. But some religious people's idea of evolution is "weird." Like some muslims believe some people are born with the right to murder and evolve because Allah Akbar lets them.

And why are their so many different ones. Theres currently over 15 religions and different gods.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

for all u people who dont believe in evolution .you guys can suck it and take ur ass back to school. and im also a christian but u cant have the common sense to put two and two together . then a , i guess we all going to hell

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

You do know dogs come from wolves? It's highly unlikely that back then, Noah had a pet pug or Great Dane. Through cross-breeding, new species are made. They didn't have those species back then. So really, you wouldn't need a boat the size of a continent.

There's a thing called the Internet. I shouldn't have to have a Works Cited page because you don't believe what I'm saying. And you don't ask all the other Evolutionists here for their links and sites. It's a little thing called credibility. If you don't believe what I say, that's your choice.
    may i just say that if 1/7th of the atmosphere was wiped out there would be no more humans. at all. also animals used to be bigger not smaller because there was more oxygen in the air so they could grow to larger levels also how do you counter dinosaurs and carbon dating.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by gameove View Post
    for all u people who dont believe in evolution .you guys can suck it and take ur ass back to school. and im also a christian but u cant have the common sense to put two and two together . then a , i guess we all going to hell
    so true

Prince of Madness CurseSealofEarth's Avatar
    Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    You actually care what I have
    to say?

Evolution is change over time. Everything changes. Therefore Evolution takes place in everything.