Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Member Akstenn's Avatar
    Status
    Akstenn is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Applying to an American university from the UK

    I'm planning on applying to a university in United States and I know that there are several things you need to submit with your application. I was wondering if there is anyone in the base that knows what kind of grades would be needed to apply to a university such as Harvard. Keep in mind that I mean grades for A-level qualifications.
     
         

  2. #2
    Senior Member mas129's Avatar
    Status
    mas129 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    You would most definitely need all A's.
    Top University's in England require minimum 3 A's at A Level and I would be surprised if it was different for top oversea's Uni's
     
         

  3. #3
    s u b f o c u s -S-'s Avatar
    Status
    -S- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    41,450
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Really good grades to be honest... I mean, don't expect to get in with B's and C's...
     
         

  4. #4
    Senior Member AMIIIT's Avatar
    Status
    AMIIIT is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illuminati
    Posts
    3,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BangBang #3Hunna #O'block
    #TDE #OVO
     

    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Don't you need to do IB Diploma?
     
         

  5. #5
    Senior Member Neji360's Avatar
    Status
    Neji360 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because you told me I'm a
    genuis...
     

    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    All A's
     
         

  6. #6
    Senior Member Germanicus's Avatar
    Status
    Germanicus is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Depends on the universities. For most of the good ones, I assume you're talking Harvard, Yale, etc. You would need top notch grades and excellent extra-cirricular background. Also money; lot's of money.
     
         

  7. #7
    Blessed. SasoriOfTheRedSaand's Avatar
    Status
    SasoriOfTheRedSaand is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    My mothers shed.
    Posts
    6,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    100
     

    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Harvard is arguably the best Uni in the world man, you need all A's
     
         

  8. #8
    Member Sharingan087's Avatar
    Status
    Sharingan087 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Depends on the universities. For most of the good ones, I assume you're talking Harvard, Yale, etc. You would need top notch grades and excellent extra-cirricular background. Also money; lot's of money.
    Yes, lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of money
     
         

  9. #9
    Member Akstenn's Avatar
    Status
    Akstenn is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    I have three full A-levels at AAB amongst other qualifications and some extra-curricular activities. Is it not possible that they allow students in with less than AAA and what counts as "excellent extra-curricular background"? I have already been accepted into five top UK universities so could that make a difference as to how they would look at my application?
    As for the reference to lots of money... from what I've read so far Harvard has one of the best scholarship programmes in the US which is based on need and not merit so if I did get in the fees would be minimal
     
         

  10. #10
    Senior Member Germanicus's Avatar
    Status
    Germanicus is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Akstenn View Post
    I have three full A-levels at AAB amongst other qualifications and some extra-curricular activities. Is it not possible that they allow students in with less than AAA and what counts as "excellent extra-curricular background"? I have already been accepted into five top UK universities so could that make a difference as to how they would look at my application?
    As for the reference to lots of money... from what I've read so far Harvard has one of the best scholarship programmes in the US which is based on need and not merit so if I did get in the fees would be minimal
    Hmm, not all A's? Were you captain or president of any clubs and organizations? Do you have a lot of service hours and/or work experience? (internships, I would mean; part times don't count as much.)
     
         

  11. #11
    Prince of Madness CurseSealofEarth's Avatar
    Status
    CurseSealofEarth is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    In a cage. As you observed.
    Posts
    5,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    You actually care what I have
    to say?
     

    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Akstenn View Post
    I have three full A-levels at AAB amongst other qualifications and some extra-curricular activities. Is it not possible that they allow students in with less than AAA and what counts as "excellent extra-curricular background"? I have already been accepted into five top UK universities so could that make a difference as to how they would look at my application?
    As for the reference to lots of money... from what I've read so far Harvard has one of the best scholarship programmes in the US which is based on need and not merit so if I did get in the fees would be minimal
    I'm not sure if you guys take somethingn similar to the SATs in the UK but you have to get a minimum of 2100 on the SATs to even be considered at Harvard.
     
         

  12. #12
    Member Akstenn's Avatar
    Status
    Akstenn is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Hmm, not all A's? Were you captain or president of any clubs and organizations? Do you have a lot of service hours and/or work experience? (internships, I would mean; part times don't count as much.)
    Unfortunately not... I have been part of a selected club that held meetings with the headteacher to make decisions as to what should be changed in school and throughout college I have been part of a scholarship programme that is partnered with and funded by Cambridge university. I have limited work experience but it is because of the position I am at the moment in which I can't do anything apart from staying at home. This position has also meant that I had to deny apprenticeships that I have been offered...
     
         

  13. #13
    Senior Member Germanicus's Avatar
    Status
    Germanicus is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by CurseSealofEarth View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys take somethingn similar to the SATs in the UK but you have to get a minimum of 2100 on the SATs to even be considered at Harvard.
    Good point, this as well. And ...right now, it kinda looks like you would have a tough time. Still, most colleges usually have different standards nowadays for international students. You might look at their admissions webpage?
     
         

  14. #14
    Member Akstenn's Avatar
    Status
    Akstenn is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by CurseSealofEarth View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys take somethingn similar to the SATs in the UK but you have to get a minimum of 2100 on the SATs to even be considered at Harvard.
    No we don't do the same kind of SATs as the US but I'm not too worried about SAT tests because you can practice and get a feel for it. In the UK, all the university requirements are listed on the website but because the qualifications are completely different from the US it makes it difficult to know what you need
     
         

  15. #15
    Member Akstenn's Avatar
    Status
    Akstenn is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Applying to an American university from the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Good point, this as well. And ...right now, it kinda looks like you would have a tough time. Still, most colleges usually have different standards nowadays for international students. You might look at their admissions webpage?
    They say that they look for about 600-800 points in each section of the SAT... not sure how hight that is
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •