Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member theRPGdude's Avatar
    Status
    theRPGdude is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Currently living in unknown places
    Posts
    3,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but the number you have
    dialed has been converted to
    Lord Sasuke's Revolution.
    Please leave a message after
    this tone.
     

    Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Many god-fearing people feel that religion should be involved in politics. They believe that religion can play a vital part in solving humankind's problems. However, other sincere believers think that religion and politics should be separate. What do you personally think of religion's role in politics? Should those powerful forces work hand-in-hand?

    Jesus Christ has been described as "the most influential figure in the religious history of mankind. So, imagine if you could ask Jesus a question. Should religion be involved in politics? What would he say?

    Reasons I believe in.

    1. Human ability is limited.
    2. Wicked sprit forces currently have an influence.
    3. True Christians give allegiance only to God's Kingdom.

    What do you think?
     
         

  2. #2
    Senior Member Traffy's Avatar
    Status
    Traffy is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    1,123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Itssupereffective
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    No.
     
         

  3. #3
    Member
    Status
    Dormammu is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    No they should stay separated.
     
         

  4. #4
    Bear fights can be grizzly saaaaaadpanda's Avatar
    Status
    saaaaaadpanda is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,718
    Post Thanks / Like
    A panda eats, shoots, and
    leaves.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    It really depends on the degree to which you value individual freedom.
     
         

  5. #5
    Banned
    Status
    XxSageoftheSixpathsIIXx is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Shinobi world
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Religion or any church has no place in government, aside from moral obligation.
     
         

  6. #6
    Tobirama/Madara/Hashi fan Hipster Madara's Avatar
    Status
    Hipster Madara is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not some lame ass kanji location
    Posts
    16,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    based-madara.tumblr.com
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    They should stay separate....
     
         

  7. #7
    Senior Member Yusuke Urameshi's Avatar
    Status
    Yusuke Urameshi is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hanging Neck Island
    Posts
    6,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Well let's see. American government was founded by Christian men, such as Ben Franklin. They seemingly created one of the best, if not the best, system of government in history. The fewest problem, rebellions, etc. I say yes, but to a certain degree.
     
         

  8. #8
    Senior Member 3MESSIAH's Avatar
    Status
    3MESSIAH is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,591
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    hell no!!
     
         

  9. #9
    Senior Member theRPGdude's Avatar
    Status
    theRPGdude is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Currently living in unknown places
    Posts
    3,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but the number you have
    dialed has been converted to
    Lord Sasuke's Revolution.
    Please leave a message after
    this tone.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yusuke Urameshi View Post
    Well let's see. American government was founded by Christian men, such as Ben Franklin. They seemingly created one of the best, if not the best, system of government in history. The fewest problem, rebellions, etc. I say yes, but to a certain degree.
    Good point. Like I said there's some influence in there choices.
     
         

  10. #10
    Servant of Lord Sasuke Ldude's Avatar
    Status
    Ldude is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Under a rock somewhere in Antarctica.
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put the dying in studying
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    It depends what area you're talking about. I'm going to assume you mean the U.S. If that's the case:

    No, because one of our national rights is the freedom of religion. Not everyone in the country is Christian, and frankly, don't care in the least bit about Jesus Christ. The U.S. does not practice caesaropapism, and I see no reason for this to change. Some people don't even believe in religion; separation between religion and politics remains quite necessary.
     
         

  11. #11
    Exalted Uchiha Uchiha Legacy's Avatar
    Status
    Uchiha Legacy is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    “The paradox of vengefulness
    is that it makes men dependent
    upon those who have harmed
    them, believing that their
    release from pain will come
    only when their tormentors
    suffer.”
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ldude View Post
    It depends what area you're talking about. I'm going to assume you mean the U.S. If that's the case:

    No, because one of our national rights is the freedom of religion. Not everyone in the country is Christian, and frankly, don't care in the least bit about Jesus Christ. The U.S. does not practice caesaropapism, and I see no reason for this to change. Some people don't even believe in religion; separation between religion and politics remains quite necessary.
    You take that back! =O
     
         

  12. #12
    J & A YowYan's Avatar
    Status
    YowYan is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    At the Organization, decapitating Rimuto
    Posts
    11,301
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Ranger, Sun Gazer
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    No, not all. Religion equals ignorance imo. If you have the church influencing the government like in usa, your gonna have idiots who call themselves educated try to force us their moral standards. For example, gay marriage..something that govt shouldn't even be allowed to make decisions over. No, im not gay, but I don't think any authority should be allowed to make decisions that doesnt concern them.
     
         

  13. #13
    Senior Member theRPGdude's Avatar
    Status
    theRPGdude is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Currently living in unknown places
    Posts
    3,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but the number you have
    dialed has been converted to
    Lord Sasuke's Revolution.
    Please leave a message after
    this tone.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ldude View Post
    It depends what area you're talking about. I'm going to assume you mean the U.S. If that's the case:

    No, because one of our national rights is the freedom of religion. Not everyone in the country is Christian, and frankly, don't care in the least bit about Jesus Christ. The U.S. does not practice caesaropapism, and I see no reason for this to change. Some people don't even believe in religion; separation between religion and politics remains quite necessary.
    We see problems in today's system of things. People losing there jobs I recently got laid off from my job. The economy is not getting better. House prices are low. We can see that mans ability to rule this country has diminish. But your points are well. And yes I'm referring to the US.
     
         

  14. #14
    Senior Member Yusuke Urameshi's Avatar
    Status
    Yusuke Urameshi is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hanging Neck Island
    Posts
    6,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ldude View Post
    It depends what area you're talking about. I'm going to assume you mean the U.S. If that's the case:

    No, because one of our national rights is the freedom of religion. Not everyone in the country is Christian, and frankly, don't care in the least bit about Jesus Christ. The U.S. does not practice caesaropapism, and I see no reason for this to change. Some people don't even believe in religion; separation between religion and politics remains quite necessary.
    If no one really cares about Christiantity, like you say, then why do 90% of presidential candidates claim they're Christian, or at least that they believe in God? I'm not trying to be a douche or anything, I find that a legit question and feel that it deserves a legit answer.
     
         

  15. #15
    Tobirama/Madara/Hashi fan Hipster Madara's Avatar
    Status
    Hipster Madara is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Not some lame ass kanji location
    Posts
    16,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    based-madara.tumblr.com
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yusuke Urameshi View Post
    Well let's see. American government was founded by Christian men, such as Ben Franklin. They seemingly created one of the best, if not the best, system of government in history. The fewest problem, rebellions, etc. I say yes, but to a certain degree.
    Good points.
    I would say influence in a more distant way where it's more of trying to get the best from religion, not try to force upon religion....
     
         

  16. #16
    Senior Member Yusuke Urameshi's Avatar
    Status
    Yusuke Urameshi is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hanging Neck Island
    Posts
    6,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hipster Madara View Post
    Good points.
    I would say influence in a more distant way where it's more of trying to get the best from religion, not try to force upon religion....
    Exactly. The church shouldn't be in control of the government (The Anglican Church), because that feeds rebellion. Look at the pilgrims for instance. On the other end of the spectrum, government shouldn't be without some guidance of religion. That would form anarchy. There has to be a balance in between these two sides of the spectrum.
     
         

  17. #17
    Senior Member theRPGdude's Avatar
    Status
    theRPGdude is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Currently living in unknown places
    Posts
    3,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but the number you have
    dialed has been converted to
    Lord Sasuke's Revolution.
    Please leave a message after
    this tone.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Yeah this question is most common asked by people.
     
         

  18. #18
    Servant of Lord Sasuke Ldude's Avatar
    Status
    Ldude is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Under a rock somewhere in Antarctica.
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put the dying in studying
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yusuke Urameshi View Post
    If no one really cares about Christiantity, like you say, then why do 90% of presidential candidates claim they're Christian, or at least that they believe in God? I'm not trying to be a douche or anything, I find that a legit question and feel that it deserves a legit answer.
    I'm questioning from where you get your statistics. The majority of the country's population is Christian. :shrug:

    And I didn't say no one cares about Christianity; I said not everyone does... because they're not Christian, like myself.
    Another problem with Christianity (in this case) having an influence over the government is the fact that Christianity is also divided up into many sects. They don't keep all of the same principles/traditions anymore. Adding religion to the influence over government would probably create more trouble amongst these divisions.
     
         

  19. #19
    Senior Member Yusuke Urameshi's Avatar
    Status
    Yusuke Urameshi is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hanging Neck Island
    Posts
    6,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ldude View Post
    I'm questioning from where you get your statistics. The majority of the country's population is Christian. :shrug:

    And I didn't say no one cares about Christianity; I said not everyone does... because they're not Christian, like myself.
    Another problem with Christianity (in this case) having an influence over the government is the fact that Christianity is also divided up into many sects. They don't keep all of the same principles/traditions anymore. Adding religion to the influence over government would probably create more trouble amongst these divisions.
    Addressing these denominations of Christianity, that's why the First Amendment (freedom of religion) was brought into existence. The pilgrims didn't want to persecute others as they were persecuted by the Anglican church, so they created this amendment. (People think this meant that Islam, Muslim, Atheism, etc., were what it entailed, but nope). That's kind of off topic but meh. I'm not expert on all denominations, or very many for that fact, but I wanna say it's safe to say that the fundamentals of the denominations are roughly the same.
    Ex:Baptists don't believe in dancing. I'm a Baptist and I find that stupid. So....
     
         

  20. #20
    Senior Member sasori345's Avatar
    Status
    sasori345 is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    invisible
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

     
         

  21. #21
    Senior Member theRPGdude's Avatar
    Status
    theRPGdude is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Currently living in unknown places
    Posts
    3,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but the number you have
    dialed has been converted to
    Lord Sasuke's Revolution.
    Please leave a message after
    this tone.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by sasori345 View Post
    Haha love it!
     
         

  22. #22
    Senior Member narutokage99's Avatar
    Status
    narutokage99 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    |¯x¯|
    Posts
    1,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Let me use the outdated cliché of “religions are the cause war and conflict” and show how war and conflict are not unique to religions. In the relatively short history of secularism the following massacres have committed in the name of non-religious ideologies such a communism, nationalism and social-Darwinism:

    70,000,000 under chairman Mao
    20,000,000 under Stalin
    2,000,000 no longer exist because of Pol Pot
    700,000 innocent Iraqi’s in the current occupation
    500,000 Iraqi children in the 10 year sanctions

    So it can be clearly seen above that war and conflict are not religious monopolies, rather they are human phenomena and not unique to religion. As Professor Stephen L. Carter argues in “Civility”:

    “[T]he statement that wars have been fought in the name of God is a non sequitur. As the theologian Walter Wink once pointed out, more people have died in the twentieth century’s secular wars than in the preceding fifty centuries of fighting combined…. No religious war in history, not all the religious wars of history added together, did as much damage as this century’s wars of nationalism and ideology.”
     
         

  23. #23
    Shazam! Black Adam's Avatar
    Status
    Black Adam is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ????
    Posts
    2,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Diabolical
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Quote Originally Posted by narutokage99 View Post
    Let me use the outdated cliché of “religions are the cause war and conflict” and show how war and conflict are not unique to religions. In the relatively short history of secularism the following massacres have committed in the name of non-religious ideologies such a communism, nationalism and social-Darwinism:

    70,000,000 under chairman Mao
    20,000,000 under Stalin
    2,000,000 no longer exist because of Pol Pot
    700,000 innocent Iraqi’s in the current occupation
    500,000 Iraqi children in the 10 year sanctions

    So it can be clearly seen above that war and conflict are not religious monopolies, rather they are human phenomena and not unique to religion. As Professor Stephen L. Carter argues in “Civility”:

    “[T]he statement that wars have been fought in the name of God is a non sequitur. As the theologian Walter Wink once pointed out, more people have died in the twentieth century’s secular wars than in the preceding fifty centuries of fighting combined…. No religious war in history, not all the religious wars of history added together, did as much damage as this century’s wars of nationalism and ideology.”
    Don't forget Imperialism another country encroaching on foreign lands by enslaving and killing the natives then pillaging all of the natural resources then leaving said country a desiccated husk of it's former self.

    But in any case if the church were to take an even bigger role in politics than it already does then they gotta give up that tax exemption.
     
         

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Status
    drknght is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    Religions may be different but they share the same principles. It's praising the God or someone special. It's obeying the rules. It's opposite to making everyone equal.

    Politics and religion don't mix.
     
         

  25. #25
    Senior Member Germanicus's Avatar
    Status
    Germanicus is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Religion and Politics should they mix?

    This has probably been brought up, but to reinforce it, separation of church and state is the best thing that should be happening to politics ever. You can end the thread right here. That should sum it up.
     
         

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •