Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trust | Respect | Integrity

Purchasing New Laptop

If you are here to flame/spam just leave because you will be reported. If you are here to say "oh get this computer over this one" without any proof as to why it is better then leave. I want serious advice from veteran computer builders/users.

I am up at Uni and the programs I am running (solid edge st5, autocadd, and autodesk inventor) need quite a lot of ram and a better processor than an i3.
    I looked up how much it would be for an i7 processor and it would just be worth it to buy a new laptop considering the new processor would run me up to $400. I am hoping to get up to 500 for my current laptop when I sell it(2010, 6gb ram, i3, 17.3 inch dell).

I plan on getting an i7 and at least 16gbs of ram. What company do you guys suggest buying the laptop from? My roommate has a Lenovo and he says its great. I don't want to go dell, hp, or asus.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on how much I should sell my current laptop for, I would greatly appreciate it.
    I would prefer to get a smaller laptop. 16 inch diagonal max.

Current Laptop: 2010 Dell Inspiron N7010 with 6gb ram, i3, 17.3 inch, M 370 @ 2.40 GHz, 64 bit operating system with Windows 7 Home premium and it doesn't have a video card.
    Depending on how much I can get for the laptop I can spend up to $1200 or $1500 on the laptop.

I will be staying with Windows 7, don't try and talk me into Mac. For those who say go linux, first find me 3D modeling software that will work on it and then second I am holding off on linux until winter break. I will be getting Debian on my old desktop tower.

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Re: Purchasing New Laptop

I dont have proof, but I'd go with an apple computer. They're known for rom room

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Ranger, Sun Gazer

i recommend an acer aspire.. atleast 17inch.
    Mine is design winner from 2009. acer aspire 18.4 inch screen. pretty big :o
    And it still does its job fine.
    If you get one obv you will have a better processor.
    I know lots of ppl that had bad experiences with brands like HP, DELL, packard bell, etc. Those get errors faster

edit: I used mine for intensive gaming and server management for 3 years. It can handle

Last edited by YowYan; 10-05-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but the number you have
    dialed has been converted to
    Lord Sasuke's Revolution.
    Please leave a message after
    this tone.

Build you own computer. Build an hack in tosh. WILL SAVE YOU SOME MONEY MAYBE EVEN MORE THEN YOU EXPECTED. it's awesome I have one. And I build it to last. Works perfectly. Try to build. Cheaper. You don't want to spend all your money. Go online to check out the prices. But just to say it's hard. But well worth it. And I may prefer macs. I don't have to much knowledge over those types. Sorry. But consider this.

________________________ OhReary's Avatar
    Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by theRPGdude View Post
    Build you own computer. Build an hack in tosh. WILL SAVE YOU SOME MONEY MAYBE EVEN MORE THEN YOU EXPECTED. it's awesome I have one. And I build it to last. Works perfectly. Try to build. Cheaper. You don't want to spend all your money. Go online to check out the prices. But just to say it's hard. But well worth it. And I may prefer macs. I don't have to much knowledge over those types. Sorry. But consider this.
    He's looking for a laptop..
    Anyways, this is the one i recently purchase for 599.99
    So far im very impress with its performance so i'd recommend acer.
    Also avoid piano black finish, so many finger marks x.x
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215417

Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like a BAWS

if i were you i wouldnt shut down asus
    i would suggest considering the ASUS G55VW-S1081V
    configuration

CPU: Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3 GHz (Up to 3.3 GHz Turbo mode, 6MB Intel Smart Cache, 22nm)
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 (4GB DDR3 1600MHz x1, 2GB DDR3 1600MHz x1) though it has 4 slots for RAM so you can extend it to max 32GB and it depends where your buying on the amound of ram u get from the start lol
    HDD: 750GB SATA 7200rpm
    Monitor: 15.6" LED Full HD Non-glare (1920 x 1080)
    GPU: nVidia GTX 660M (N13E-GE) 2GB DDR5
    a vid review

Last edited by Viole; 10-05-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trust | Respect | Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Prince View Post
    I dont have proof, but I'd go with an apple computer. They're known for rom room
    I said don't even bring mac into the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by YowYan View Post
    i recommend an acer aspire.. atleast 17inch.
    Mine is design winner from 2009. acer aspire 18.4 inch screen. pretty big :o
    And it still does its job fine.
    If you get one obv you will have a better processor.
    I know lots of ppl that had bad experiences with brands like HP, DELL, packard bell, etc. Those get errors faster

edit: I used mine for intensive gaming and server management for 3 years. It can handle
    I don't want anything bigger than 16 inch diagonal.

Quote Originally Posted by theRPGdude View Post
    Yea, cause I am going to carry around a tower and all the equipment I need for that. smh, learn to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by OhReary View Post
    He's looking for a laptop..
    Anyways, this is the one i recently purchase for 599.99
    So far im very impress with its performance so i'd recommend acer.
    Also avoid piano black finish, so many finger marks x.x
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215417
    Thanks, I'll check that out more over break this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by No_Life_King View Post
    if i were you i wouldnt shut down asus
    i would suggest considering the ASUS G55VW-S1081V
    configuration

CPU: Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3 GHz (Up to 3.3 GHz Turbo mode, 6MB Intel Smart Cache, 22nm)
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 (4GB DDR3 1600MHz x1, 2GB DDR3 1600MHz x1) though it has 4 slots for RAM so you can extend it to max 32GB and it depends where your buying on the amound of ram u get from the start lol
    HDD: 750GB SATA 7200rpm
    Monitor: 15.6" LED Full HD Non-glare (1920 x 1080)
    GPU: nVidia GTX 660M (N13E-GE) 2GB DDR5
    a vid review
    Alright I will check that one out as well.
    Only reason I counted Asus out was because my mother had a lot of problems with her asus laptop after 2 years.

Status
    Apr 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

look at the HP Envy series of laptops, you can get one under 16" with a i7 and a max of 16gb of ram, though it will be on the higher end of your price scale coming in at just about 1600 dollars. I personally use a hp laptop and havn't had any major issues with it, though it doesn't do the best with rendering high def videos especially on youtube.

really one of the only ways you are going to get the specs you want is to custom build one and i will say you should avoid going for a ultrabook since they usually have a low ghz setting on the processor, a low volume ssd hard drive and no dvd drive. for what you are doing you will need a beast of a laptop which you can find but its probably going to be on the expensive side.

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroyed all adventure, the
    only adventure left is to
    destroy society

You need something I have so I can give you perfect Advert mate!

You need Asus G- Series

- Intel®3rd generation Core™ i7 processors and the latest NVIDIA® enthusiast-level graphics
    - Intelligent rear-vented cooling exhausts with detachable fan filters ''after playing BF3 for 5h straight laptop was ice cold''
    - Superior ergonomic design for effortless gaming
    - SonicMaster Lite powerful audio with built-in subwoofer
    - better than fugly alienware :3

personal note's! all you need to know

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3610QM Processor ''8 core''

Memory: DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 GB SDRAM

Display: 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) Zero Bright Dot ''3D''

Graphic: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M/670M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM

HDD's : 2.5" SATA Dual HDD - 1.5TB(750GBx2) 7200rpm -1TB 5400rpm With 256 G SSD -Dual HDD Support

Optical Drive - Blue-ray Writer

NVIDIA 3D VISION - plays ALL game's in 3D and plays ALL non 3D movies in 3D if run from ordinary DVD. Tested on movies/anime year 1994, 1999 and 2004 work perfectly.

plus this bag that perfectly fits it in. Bag is 100% water proof and has aditional protection that comes from the bottom, best bag I ever seen.

Shower mode

Last edited by Grim; 10-05-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like a BAWS

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzen View Post

Alright I will check that one out as well.
    Only reason I counted Asus out was because my mother had a lot of problems with her asus laptop after 2 years.
    yes but it also depends on which series she bought
    example the N series laptops have a really gigh quality in everything
    the most important thing with a laptop is that you make sure it does not over heat much and as i said before i can confirm that the N series is the best i that department
    a friend of mine bought an ASUS N53SM-SX073
    it has an Intel i3 CPU on 2.3 MHz
    4GB DDR3 ram on 1600MHz
    GPU is nVidia GT 630m with 2Gb DDR3
    and an 750 HDD on 5200rpm
    we went and installed the windows on it and applications
    then he started installing some games he is a bid fan of racing games and installed DiRT 3
    he ran the game for like 2 hours and the laptop was cool as ice it was not overheating at all and it was on the kitchen table @ that
    saying hat the G55 series is a laptop designed for gaming thus it is bounded to have a high quality cooling system one more reason that it has to have it is the powerful i7 CPU which is known to overheat laptops
    so the main point of all this is that you should make sure to look for a laptop that has a good cooling system if it does not overheat it's bounded to last much longer so you should to some research on the models you are thinking of buying everything is meaningless if the machine cant handle the heat
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    You need something I have so I can give you perfect Advert mate!

You need Asus G- Series

- Intel®3rd generation Core™ i7 processors and the latest NVIDIA® enthusiast-level graphics
    - Intelligent rear-vented cooling exhausts with detachable fan filters ''after playing BF3 for 5h straight laptop was ice cold''
    - Superior ergonomic design for effortless gaming
    - SonicMaster Lite powerful audio with built-in subwoofer
    - better than fugly alienware :3

personal note's! all you need to know

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3610QM Processor ''8 core''

Memory: DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 GB SDRAM

Display: 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) Zero Bright Dot ''3D''

Graphic: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M/670M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM

HDD's : 2.5" SATA Dual HDD - 1.5TB(750GBx2) 7200rpm -1TB 5400rpm With 256 G SSD -Dual HDD Support

Optical Drive - Blue-ray Writer

NVIDIA 3D VISION - plays ALL game's in 3D and plays ALL non 3D movies in 3D if run from ordinary DVD. Tested on movies/anime year 1994, 1999 and 2004 work perfectly.

plus this bag that perfectly fits it in. Bag is 100% water proof and has aditional protection that comes from the bottom, best bag I ever seen.

Shower mode

and lol grim
    as much as i want to kill for that keep in mind his budget
    G series is awesome and high quality
    how much does that beast costs
    wait..found something...1626 euro...a lil out of my budget

Last edited by Viole; 10-05-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroyed all adventure, the
    only adventure left is to
    destroy society

Quote Originally Posted by No_Life_King View Post
    yes but it also depends on which series she bought
    example the N series laptops have a really gigh quality in everything
    the most important thing with a laptop is that you make sure it does not over heat much and as i said before i can confirm that the N series is the best i that department
    a friend of mine bought an ASUS N53SM-SX073
    it has an Intel i3 CPU on 2.3 MHz
    4GB DDR3 ram on 1600MHz
    GPU is nVidia GT 630m with 2Gb DDR3
    and an 750 HDD on 5200rpm
    we went and installed the windows on it and applications
    then he started installing some games he is a bid fan of racing games and installed DiRT 3
    he ran the game for like 2 hours and the laptop was cool as ice it was not overheating at all and it was on the kitchen table @ that
    saying hat the G55 series is a laptop designed for gaming thus it is bounded to have a high quality cooling system one more reason that it has to have it is the powerful i7 CPU which is known to overheat laptops
    so the main point of all this is that you should make sure to look for a laptop that has a good cooling system if it does not overheat it's bounded to last much longer so you should to some research on the models you are thinking of buying everything is meaningless if the machine cant handle the heat

and lol grim
    as much as i want to kill for that keep in mind his budget
    G series is awesome and high quality
    how much does that beast costs
    wait..found something...1800 euro...a lil out of my budget
    I paid 2350 AUD ''Australian $'' and bag 135 $

but point is... I was planing to buy laptop ap 1500-1700 max but after little reserch I went beyond the limits.

Just a sample what this thing does. I put in old DVD movie you bought 10 years ago. For example I take Initial D. I have original DVD 2007. It plays this movie in 3D. 1997 Anime DVD I had - Plays in 3D No clue how and why do we need BluRay 3D Discs when you can create everything 3D with Nvidia 3D vision