Page 15 of 16 « First ... 5111213141516 Last»
Results 351 to 375 of 377
  1. #351
    You-Know-Who Mante's Avatar
    Status
    Mante is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    not here >_>
    Posts
    6,615
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the status of this
    guy.
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by rikerslade View Post
    I believe in God. However, there's so many things I question about what He's done.

    For example, He allows turmoil, disaster, death and sin to exist because of a bet with Satan. You can try to sugarcoat it, but in the end, Satan made a bet with God and God allowed us to suffer and pay for the sins of Adam and Eve so He can win.

    It also bothers me why He couldn't just get rid of sin without having to sacrifice Jesus. God is the highest, so why couldn't He just get rid of it? It's not like there's someone saying to Him "Hey, no. You can't do that. Rules, RULES, man." And why did He get angry when Jesus was killed if He himself sent him to be killed on a mission to get rid of sin.


    God also strikes me as childish, or having childish characteristics sometimes. He has all the things anyone can ask for: omnipotent, infinite wisdom, immortality, and not a care in the world, never having to worry about ANYTHING but gets angry and mad when some people on a rock don't worship or acknowledge him? Seriously?

    And I love how God knew Lucifer was gonna turn into Satan, but made him anyway and allowed him to plunge the world into turmoil.
    so you, just like some other Christians here on NB doubt bible...but believe in God.
    I have a message to you and others like you: yes, there are so many contradicts and many illogical statements in Bible. Jesus, the son of god and god himself (as believed by christians - but note that this belief even contradicts some verses of Bible) died for our sins [of nothing we did] which was of what Adam or Eve did. This not sensible, yes. Do you guys know that many priests are converting to Islam every year? Search google, and know about their reasons to leave..study other religions..search for one true faith (like this guy). Im pretty sure you will reach a Book that will answer and solve almost all [if not all] questions asked by an Athiest or a christian like you.
     
         

  2. #352
    Senior Member Sanguis's Avatar
    Status
    Sanguis is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    I do not believe in God, Gods or any type of deity because there is no reason to. I do believe however that gods will exist in the far distance future and will be descendants of humanity (that is if we do not wipe ourselves out before we get the chance).
     
         

  3. #353
    Senior Member Stencil's Avatar
    Status
    Stencil is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    5,534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been quite inactive...
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguis View Post
    I do not believe in God, Gods or any type of deity because there is no reason to. I do believe however that gods will exist in the far distance future and will be descendants of humanity (that is if we do not wipe ourselves out before we get the chance).
    Interesting idea, I see where you're coming from, but everyone has their own view on what god(s) are, or how they look and what they do. But I like what you're saying, sort of like those films where the main evil character wants to fk shit up
     
         

  4. #354
    Jounin harunaren's Avatar
    Status
    harunaren is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sunagakure
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Yes, of course I do! As to why... Because I was raised with it.
     
         

  5. #355
    Senior Member Stencil's Avatar
    Status
    Stencil is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    5,534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been quite inactive...
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by harunaren View Post
    Yes, of course I do! As to why... Because I was raised with it.
    I know this is probably a hard prospect to imagine, but do you reckon you would still believe in god if you weren't raised with it? IF your parents were both strong atheist's?
     
         

  6. #356
    -Vegeta's Avatar
    Status
    -Vegeta is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    THE best village, Amegakure no Sato
    Posts
    26,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BlameAme
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Xentinel View Post
    The non-believers which I prefer to call the Atheist, to be honest (not to disrespect their views), they only know Science. But know what? There is something which is out from science. Something that today Science still havent FULLY explain yet.
    Heard about people seeing Spirit? Seeing the Unseen? There is supernatural science to explain but it doesnt make sense. What about exorcism? Voodo? Black Magic? Inner Energy like The Yin and Yang? Fairy tail? Yeah, it exist and they still deny it? There are some people on the surface on earth that learnt to have their body to get invulnerable. Meaning, let say if they got slash by knife, nothing will happen. There are more out there, which simply cannot be listed here.

    I believe even the most supreme Govt in the world, The US GOVT, actually believe in this kind of thing and they got plans behind it. Sadly, they are the enemies of the believer that refused to served to God but the stoned Devil.

    These are all things that the Science that the non believer are so proud with, cannot explain this fenomena yet. This shows that Unseen World exist. And the Unseen World or Spiritual World are also part of the God's creation. Still want to deny?
    Yes, this proves nothing. Everyone knows about unseen energies. Hell, if you have someone behind you staring at you most people can physically feel it. This still explains nothing or answers anything I posted on the previous page.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xentinel View Post
    Maybe the way I write, it makes me sounded like that. I really respect their opinion and I got nothing to say with their opinion. My previous post is not to oppose the Non-believer's view but actually to share with them what they know not. I want them to make a research on it too.
    Your as bad as I am lol, "What they know not" Now you must be quoting your boy Jesus lol. BTW how did that dying for our sins thing work out? Did it make the world better. Got much worse since that 'supposedly happened.

    Still waiting for anyone to be able to prove my previous points wrong ie: how did god create light and darkness on the 1st day, but didn't make the sun till the 4th? Hmmm.....
     
         

  7. #357
    Member whytaco's Avatar
    Status
    whytaco is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    I live where Hell is!!
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Well that funny you ask because I'm a man of science and not of god! Yeah I said it what what haha that a lie
     
         

  8. #358
    -Vegeta's Avatar
    Status
    -Vegeta is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    THE best village, Amegakure no Sato
    Posts
    26,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BlameAme
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Use that link people, read and research before posting about faith. I've research many religions.
    Did y'all know your not even reading a complete bible? Look up what Constantine did around 500AD (hint, he eliminated over 50 'Books' from the new testament and kept what he liked, look it up for yourselves)http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
    That link also covers the Kuran and book of Morman

    Also, the universe's edge has been discovered btw
    The universe is 14,000,000,000 years old, if something were more than 14,000,000,000 light years away it would take 14,000,000,000 light years to reach use which is longer than it has existed. Here's a link to help http://www.primaxstudio.com/stuff/sc...niverse-v1.swf move the scale at the bottom to see.
     
         
    Last edited by -Vegeta; 10-18-2012 at 08:09 PM.

  9. #359
    Zero Kelvin's Avatar
    Status
    Zero Kelvin is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tenkaichi, Ancrath Archipelago.
    Posts
    15,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let My Own Lack of a Voice Be
    Heard!
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashflura View Post
    Errr I'm sorry to intercept...but a lot of the questioning is more than a simple misconception.
    Like you said God is omnipotent, infinite. Not human. Above all creatures. He's automatically out of our mind's understanding.
    A world without all this disaster, turmoil, death etc would simply be paradise.
    If you believe in the afterlife, this world becomes nothing more than a test and struggle. It's through that struggle that an individual can either come out on top, no matter how much life shits on them, and make God happy, by keeping faith and practice strong.
    Many people relate God with humanly qualities. That becomes the first mistake.
    God being childish? Really? I'd call it being simple and straight forward. Disobey and continue getting carried away with materialism, after understanding and being informed and you get punished. God is the only judge, what you don't understand is not a reason to not go looking up information to answer your questions. Repent, and he brings mercy.

    I'm not 100% sure how Christianity perceives the story of Jesus.
    I find it amusing how you scold someone for giving God 'humanly qualities', yet you do the same.
    I don't think you quite understand the ramifications of the properties you give God.

    Let us, for a second, accept the notion that there is a God. This God is, following the Jewish, Islamic and Christian belief, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, infinite and everything. He is Alpha and Omega.
    By themselves, these qualities have 'consequences'.

    Thoughts, yo.
    God, in most monotheistic religions, knows everything. His knowledge is, therefore, infinite. There is no limit to God's knowledge; he even knows what'll happen in the future. That, if we ignore the 'time is relative'-speech, petches God on a pedestal where his knowledge and memory is completely and utterly infinite. Even if we consider that the universe might end, causing the removal of all mass and energy, alongside the logic of 'time', God will still see the future, but it'll be a future of nothing. Just as we have optical memories of a completely dark room, God, in all his almightiness, will continue to 'percieve' and 'remember'.
    Do you agree so far? God knows everything, regardless of time. Therefore; God has 'infinite knowledge' and must therefore have 'infinite memory'.

    Now, what is a thought? "They’re really just electro-chemical reactions" (http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...oughts-made-of) No matter how you put it, the ability to think requires a certain amount of things; like Neurons, Synapses and Axons. Thoughts are, essentially, electrical and chemical signals. All in all, the ability to think requires one to be some kind of matter. You have to be physical.

    "When you read these words, for example, the photons associated with the patterns of the letters hit your retina, and their energy triggers an electrical signal in the light-detecting cells there. That electrical signal propagates like a wave along the long threads called axons that are part of the connections between neurons. When the signal reaches the end of an axon, it causes the release of chemical neurotransmitters into the synapse, a chemical junction between the axon tip and target neurons. A target neuron responds with its own electrical signal, which, in turn, spreads to other neurons. Within a few hundred milliseconds, the signal has spread to billions of neurons in several dozen interconnected areas of your brain and you have perceived these words. (All that and you probably didn’t even break a sweat.)

    The fact that you are then able to convert the perception of these shapes into symbols, language, and meaning is a whole other story—and a good indication of the complexity of neuroscience. Trying to imagine how trillions of connections and billions of simultaneous transmissions coalesce inside your brain to form a thought is a little like trying to look at the leaves, roots, snakes, birds, ticks, deer—and everything else in a forest—at the same moment." (http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...oughts-made-of)

    If we consider that God needs these basic, logical components to think; God's mass and volume would be infinite.
    If we consider that God doesn't need Neurotransmitters, Axons, Neurons or Synapses to think, then, somehow, God must have an infinite amount of electrical and chemical signals somewhere that somehow stores information.

    How would this thing think? It would have an infinite mass yet have no volume.
    But we're just scraping the surface. Even if we consider that God can think, how does he store an infinite amount of information?
    Again, Neurons, Axons, Synapses. God can think of everything at once while he remembers everything at once. It is physically impossible for an entity of infinite memory and knowledge to exist.

    http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...oughts-made-of
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neuron
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory#Physiology
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_%28memory%29

    If that was too theoretical and whoop-de-doo for you (it certainly was for me), how about we grab something more simple?

    God, according to Religion, possesses the ability to be everywhere at once. God is infinite in everything; able to do everything.
    First of all, it's impossible for God to be infinite. Infinity means without end, and, logically, leaves no holes. Following this logic there would be nothing but God, in the sense that God would be everything that is, meaning that I'm God, and you're God, and my dog is God.
    Basically; "If the God is infinite, then God is all that there is. There is nothing other than God. All of existence is God and God is all that exists."
    If God has the ability to travel faster than Light, then he'd have to consists of nothingness, which would give him a limit since something besides nothing exists. If God consists of nothing, then God, technically, doesn't exist.
    If God, on the other hand, consists of something, then, to be everywhere, he'd have to have an infinite volume, which would, logically, make him consists of matter. If you consists of matter and have a volume, then, per difinition, you have a mass, too. If your volume is infinite, as is your mass.
    The only exception is photons, who are considered massless objects. Photons, however, are unable to travel faster than the speed of light, which means that God's influence is restricted to the speed of light.

    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...oton_mass.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass%E...gy_equivalence
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_mass
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon...cal_properties
    http://news.discovery.com/space/time...on-110724.html (for the lulz)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume

    Your God would have to be impossibly complex, consists of nothing and fill everything to exists. Not even being all energy in the universe would give him these properties.

    http://www.physicscentral.org/experi...20120221015143

    Shit, my head.
     
         

  10. #360
    Zero Kelvin's Avatar
    Status
    Zero Kelvin is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tenkaichi, Ancrath Archipelago.
    Posts
    15,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let My Own Lack of a Voice Be
    Heard!
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Oh, and I'm totally out of my league here, when it comes to physics.
    Someone please punch some holes in this? ;_;
     
         

  11. #361
    Senior Member Stencil's Avatar
    Status
    Stencil is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    5,534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been quite inactive...
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Kelvin View Post
    Oh, and I'm totally out of my league here, when it comes to physics.
    Someone please punch some holes in this? ;_;
    Can't help there... physics is not my strong point... >.>
     
         

  12. #362
    -Vegeta's Avatar
    Status
    -Vegeta is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    THE best village, Amegakure no Sato
    Posts
    26,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BlameAme
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Kelvin View Post
    I find it amusing how you scold someone for giving God 'humanly qualities', yet you do the same.
    I don't think you quite understand the ramifications of the properties you give God.

    Let us, for a second, accept the notion that there is a God. This God is, following the Jewish, Islamic and Christian belief, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, infinite and everything. He is Alpha and Omega.
    By themselves, these qualities have 'consequences'.

    Thoughts, yo.
    God, in most monotheistic religions, knows everything. His knowledge is, therefore, infinite. There is no limit to God's knowledge; he even knows what'll happen in the future. That, if we ignore the 'time is relative'-speech, petches God on a pedestal where his knowledge and memory is completely and utterly infinite. Even if we consider that the universe might end, causing the removal of all mass and energy, alongside the logic of 'time', God will still see the future, but it'll be a future of nothing. Just as we have optical memories of a completely dark room, God, in all his almightiness, will continue to 'percieve' and 'remember'.
    Do you agree so far? God knows everything, regardless of time. Therefore; God has 'infinite knowledge' and must therefore have 'infinite memory'.

    Now, what is a thought? "They’re really just electro-chemical reactions" (http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...oughts-made-of) No matter how you put it, the ability to think requires a certain amount of things; like Neurons, Synapses and Axons. Thoughts are, essentially, electrical and chemical signals. All in all, the ability to think requires one to be some kind of matter. You have to be physical.

    "When you read these words, for example, the photons associated with the patterns of the letters hit your retina, and their energy triggers an electrical signal in the light-detecting cells there. That electrical signal propagates like a wave along the long threads called axons that are part of the connections between neurons. When the signal reaches the end of an axon, it causes the release of chemical neurotransmitters into the synapse, a chemical junction between the axon tip and target neurons. A target neuron responds with its own electrical signal, which, in turn, spreads to other neurons. Within a few hundred milliseconds, the signal has spread to billions of neurons in several dozen interconnected areas of your brain and you have perceived these words. (All that and you probably didn’t even break a sweat.)

    The fact that you are then able to convert the perception of these shapes into symbols, language, and meaning is a whole other story—and a good indication of the complexity of neuroscience. Trying to imagine how trillions of connections and billions of simultaneous transmissions coalesce inside your brain to form a thought is a little like trying to look at the leaves, roots, snakes, birds, ticks, deer—and everything else in a forest—at the same moment." (http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...oughts-made-of)

    If we consider that God needs these basic, logical components to think; God's mass and volume would be infinite.
    If we consider that God doesn't need Neurotransmitters, Axons, Neurons or Synapses to think, then, somehow, God must have an infinite amount of electrical and chemical signals somewhere that somehow stores information.

    How would this thing think? It would have an infinite mass yet have no volume.
    But we're just scraping the surface. Even if we consider that God can think, how does he store an infinite amount of information?
    Again, Neurons, Axons, Synapses. God can think of everything at once while he remembers everything at once. It is physically impossible for an entity of infinite memory and knowledge to exist.

    http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...oughts-made-of
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neuron
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory#Physiology
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_%28memory%29

    If that was too theoretical and whoop-de-doo for you (it certainly was for me), how about we grab something more simple?

    God, according to Religion, possesses the ability to be everywhere at once. God is infinite in everything; able to do everything.
    First of all, it's impossible for God to be infinite. Infinity means without end, and, logically, leaves no holes. Following this logic there would be nothing but God, in the sense that God would be everything that is, meaning that I'm God, and you're God, and my dog is God.
    Basically; "If the God is infinite, then God is all that there is. There is nothing other than God. All of existence is God and God is all that exists."
    If God has the ability to travel faster than Light, then he'd have to consists of nothingness, which would give him a limit since something besides nothing exists. If God consists of nothing, then God, technically, doesn't exist.
    If God, on the other hand, consists of something, then, to be everywhere, he'd have to have an infinite volume, which would, logically, make him consists of matter. If you consists of matter and have a volume, then, per difinition, you have a mass, too. If your volume is infinite, as is your mass.
    The only exception is photons, who are considered massless objects. Photons, however, are unable to travel faster than the speed of light, which means that God's influence is restricted to the speed of light.

    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...oton_mass.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass%E...gy_equivalence
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_mass
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon...cal_properties
    http://news.discovery.com/space/time...on-110724.html (for the lulz)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume

    Your God would have to be impossibly complex, consists of nothing and fill everything to exists. Not even being all energy in the universe would give him these properties.

    http://www.physicscentral.org/experi...20120221015143

    Shit, my head.
    Finally, someone using their brain and questioning what is and isn't without blindly believing without proof. Bravo and + rep

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Kelvin View Post
    Oh, and I'm totally out of my league here, when it comes to physics.
    Someone please punch some holes in this? ;_;
    Impossible to punch holes in logic. I know it's hard to think that this may be all there is. It's hard to let go of the security blanket that is religion. Ever since man looked at the sun and it burnt his eyes and he noticed things in the light grow and things that don't get light die man has looked above for a more powerful entity than themselves to explain things. Unfortunately modern science is quickly proving that a god is not necessary for our universe to be created.

    One more Q since NO ONE can debunk my previous statements.....
    Why no mention of dinosaurs in the story about Noah? Answer: No one knew about them yet. We didn't have paleontologists then. So man listed all the animals he was aware of in the story. Making any sense yet.
    You can't put faith in a 2000 year old story that has changed every time someone else got their hands on it.

    In the 1990's, words in the bible were changed so as not to be derogatory towards anyone(ie;words like blackness being described as evil were changed to darkness so the black community was not offended). Now I understand why they did it, but how do you edit 'gods' words to better fit your world and still expect it to hold credibility?
    Imagine 2000 years of this going on
     
         

  13. #363
    -Vegeta's Avatar
    Status
    -Vegeta is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    THE best village, Amegakure no Sato
    Posts
    26,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BlameAme
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zekuru View Post
    I can see your point. Bt you've started to be disrespectful again just after saying what you admitted was wrong.
    Please stop getting butthurt in a discussion about religion, There's no crying in religious discussions. Only room for hasty, ill informed decisions, bloodshed and war against those who don't believe you(At least that's what the world has done for eons)

     
         
    Last edited by -Vegeta; 10-18-2012 at 09:06 PM.

  14. #364
    Senior Member Stencil's Avatar
    Status
    Stencil is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    5,534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been quite inactive...
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranificent View Post
    Please stop getting butthurt in a discussion about religion, There's no crying in religious discussions. Only room for hasty, ill informed decisions, bloodshed and war against those who don't believe you(At least that's what the world has done for eons)

    I get that but I'm sorry that I have respect for peoples opinions, but there is a difference from being strong on an opinion and being an ****. For example Xentinel is strong on his view but respects others. You on the other hand are just being arrogant, and even after you supposedly "Apologized".
     
         

  15. #365
    -Vegeta's Avatar
    Status
    -Vegeta is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    THE best village, Amegakure no Sato
    Posts
    26,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BlameAme
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Wow, I'm arrogant but the guy who tells people 'Repent, god will forgive you' is OK, right? Stop over reacting to my posts.
    Look, it hurts seeing people presented with so much evidence still persist about it. It pains me. I remember when I did believe. I also remember when I started questioning things without just blindly believing it first. The fact is religion has done more harm to humanity and led to more deaths than any disease. It's an archaic ideal unfit for todays society. It's a set of rules impossible for anyone to live by. And to simply be able to do anything and then ask to be forgiven and it's cool is ridiculous and far too convenient.
    Lets face it, god create everything including humans but had to sneak around like a rapist and impregnate a woman to have a kid. He couldn't just make one more? Didn't he make us all? I can't believe Joseph fell for that line. I imagine something like this....
     
         
    Last edited by -Vegeta; 10-18-2012 at 10:39 PM.

  16. #366
    Only another monkey. Boskarta's Avatar
    Status
    Boskarta is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    249
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    The standard god that demands our attention and belief etc etc I do not and will never believe in, even if it's proven to be real I will not believe in it for it must be a major douche.


    "God" I believe is just a means of control, created by man.
    In the past everyone would be forced to believe it and "miracles" that supposedly happened are either badly described or the people at the time never knew what the heck was going on since they weren't all that smart compared to the people of today.


    Why would God abide to human standards? Why would it be male or female?
    If God created everything and is so great why are humans so crap? Naturally we are violent selfish creatures that consume and destroy everything, we are ruining this planet simply because we can't get enough.
    If it made us, God made us like that if it gave us free will why did make us so easily lean to the bad side of things?

    And why do some people get horrible lives when they did nothing.
    For instance a baby born blind, deaf and dumb.
    What did it do to deserve that? And what could it's parents have done that was bad enough for God to do worse than kill a person?



    I do however believe that it's possible a being did create everything in the universe and generally runs the show, but is nothing like what we humans imagine, our brains can't understand something so vastly powerful.


    Just because people who don't believe in God don't know how the universe was created, does not at all mean that God is real.
    That's a pretty pathetic and close minded thing to say in my opinion.
    You believe that's how it happened, but you don't know, never saw it happen, never will and wouldn't live long enough to process the information because humans just can't we are tiny insignificant beings of little consequence to the rest of the universe.
     
         

  17. #367
    You-Know-Who Mante's Avatar
    Status
    Mante is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    not here >_>
    Posts
    6,615
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the status of this
    guy.
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranificent View Post
    Your as bad as I am lol, "What they know not" Now you must be quoting your boy Jesus lol. BTW how did that dying for our sins thing work out? Did it make the world better. Got much worse since that 'supposedly happened.

    Still waiting for anyone to be able to prove my previous points wrong ie: how did god create light and darkness on the 1st day, but didn't make the sun till the 4th?
    Hmmm.....
    sorry but we Muslims don't believe that Jesus was crusified for our sins to make the world better (as believed by Christians). We do not believed he was even crusified. That story is all made up by people who came after him (specaially Saul/Paul). Jesus was a messanger like Adam, Jacob, Solomon, Job, Abraham, Joseph, David, Moses, Aron, Noah, Hud, Muhamed etc. who carried same mission ie. to preach Oneness of God, worship only God etc. Using Bible itself, I can prove to Christians that Jesus was not son of god, but a messanger.
    And yes, Bible does say that light and darkness (day and night) was created before sun. This explains that part of Bible is written by man, its not A-Z word of God. Btw, Quran doesn't state such statement. Quran even supports the Big bang theory, so why not take a look at it? ^^
     
         

  18. #368
    Imitation Crime~ Ashflura's Avatar
    Status
    Ashflura is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Secret Rendezvous
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Kelvin View Post
    I find it amusing how you scold someone for giving God 'humanly qualities', yet you do the same.
    I don't think you quite understand the ramifications of the properties you give God.

    Let us, for a second, accept the notion that there is a God. This God is, following the Jewish, Islamic and Christian belief, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, infinite and everything. He is Alpha and Omega.
    By themselves, these qualities have 'consequences'.

    Thoughts, yo.
    God, in most monotheistic religions, knows everything. His knowledge is, therefore, infinite. There is no limit to God's knowledge; he even knows what'll happen in the future. That, if we ignore the 'time is relative'-speech, petches God on a pedestal where his knowledge and memory is completely and utterly infinite. Even if we consider that the universe might end, causing the removal of all mass and energy, alongside the logic of 'time', God will still see the future, but it'll be a future of nothing. Just as we have optical memories of a completely dark room, God, in all his almightiness, will continue to 'percieve' and 'remember'.
    Do you agree so far? God knows everything, regardless of time. Therefore; God has 'infinite knowledge' and must therefore have 'infinite memory'.

    Now, what is a thought? "They’re really just electro-chemical reactions" (http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...oughts-made-of) No matter how you put it, the ability to think requires a certain amount of things; like Neurons, Synapses and Axons. Thoughts are, essentially, electrical and chemical signals. All in all, the ability to think requires one to be some kind of matter. You have to be physical.

    "When you read these words, for example, the photons associated with the patterns of the letters hit your retina, and their energy triggers an electrical signal in the light-detecting cells there. That electrical signal propagates like a wave along the long threads called axons that are part of the connections between neurons. When the signal reaches the end of an axon, it causes the release of chemical neurotransmitters into the synapse, a chemical junction between the axon tip and target neurons. A target neuron responds with its own electrical signal, which, in turn, spreads to other neurons. Within a few hundred milliseconds, the signal has spread to billions of neurons in several dozen interconnected areas of your brain and you have perceived these words. (All that and you probably didn’t even break a sweat.)

    The fact that you are then able to convert the perception of these shapes into symbols, language, and meaning is a whole other story—and a good indication of the complexity of neuroscience. Trying to imagine how trillions of connections and billions of simultaneous transmissions coalesce inside your brain to form a thought is a little like trying to look at the leaves, roots, snakes, birds, ticks, deer—and everything else in a forest—at the same moment." (http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...oughts-made-of)

    If we consider that God needs these basic, logical components to think; God's mass and volume would be infinite.
    If we consider that God doesn't need Neurotransmitters, Axons, Neurons or Synapses to think, then, somehow, God must have an infinite amount of electrical and chemical signals somewhere that somehow stores information.

    How would this thing think? It would have an infinite mass yet have no volume.
    But we're just scraping the surface. Even if we consider that God can think, how does he store an infinite amount of information?
    Again, Neurons, Axons, Synapses. God can think of everything at once while he remembers everything at once. It is physically impossible for an entity of infinite memory and knowledge to exist.

    http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...oughts-made-of
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neuron
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory#Physiology
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_%28memory%29

    If that was too theoretical and whoop-de-doo for you (it certainly was for me), how about we grab something more simple?

    God, according to Religion, possesses the ability to be everywhere at once. God is infinite in everything; able to do everything.
    First of all, it's impossible for God to be infinite. Infinity means without end, and, logically, leaves no holes. Following this logic there would be nothing but God, in the sense that God would be everything that is, meaning that I'm God, and you're God, and my dog is God.
    Basically; "If the God is infinite, then God is all that there is. There is nothing other than God. All of existence is God and God is all that exists."
    If God has the ability to travel faster than Light, then he'd have to consists of nothingness, which would give him a limit since something besides nothing exists. If God consists of nothing, then God, technically, doesn't exist.
    If God, on the other hand, consists of something, then, to be everywhere, he'd have to have an infinite volume, which would, logically, make him consists of matter. If you consists of matter and have a volume, then, per difinition, you have a mass, too. If your volume is infinite, as is your mass.
    The only exception is photons, who are considered massless objects. Photons, however, are unable to travel faster than the speed of light, which means that God's influence is restricted to the speed of light.

    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...oton_mass.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass%E...gy_equivalence
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_mass
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon...cal_properties
    http://news.discovery.com/space/time...on-110724.html (for the lulz)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume

    Your God would have to be impossibly complex, consists of nothing and fill everything to exists. Not even being all energy in the universe would give him these properties.

    http://www.physicscentral.org/experi...20120221015143

    Shit, my head.
    I gotta agree, that took a whole amount of energy to read. And wow, I applaud you for going to such stakes to provide such a deep analysis. Never studied physics and neuroscience, but I can understand where the article is leading too.

    The one fault that is brought up though, is that those who try to disprove God's existence, try to explain it from laws of this world. He is beyond our mind's capability to understand in the form of logic we use as humans. Some religions stress God is everywhere, but that goes against the very nature of Islam. He states that there is nothing that resembles him in this universe. So using our human resources to try and understand something out of reach becomes illogical.

    It's a simple concept that doesn't need to be overcomplicated. He is not something that we can reach with our physical senses(sight, touch, smell, etc), however as a Muslim, Islam encourages us to use our senses and common sense to recognise this universe has not come about because of a simple accident, or millions of years of trial and error, but by the work of a Creator. A carefully designed system of laws, that humans are restricted to. Who better to tell you what's best than the very Designer of the world?

    There is a lot for us to discover (all the neuroscience phenomonons), and some have a bit more free time to dedicate their lives to certain studies of research, but when it comes down to it, no matter how much argument and discussion is throttled back and forth about proving/disproving the existence of god, as a Muslim, I'm not required to pour time on to arguments that have already been answered. Only advise, and leave it up to the will of God to determine the fate of things.

    And I might sound like some drone or zombie to whoever is reading this, who is ignorant and following a faith blindly, but hey I can flip it right in reverse to undermine how the media has such a strong hold on people. In the end, its our own lives we're living.
     
         

  19. #369
    -Vegeta's Avatar
    Status
    -Vegeta is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    THE best village, Amegakure no Sato
    Posts
    26,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BlameAme
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mante View Post
    sorry but we Muslims don't believe that Jesus was crusified for our sins to make the world better (as believed by Christians). We do not believed he was even crusified. That story is all made up by people who came after him (specaially Saul/Paul). Jesus was a messanger like Adam, Jacob, Solomon, Job, Abraham, Joseph, David, Moses, Aron, Noah, Hud, Muhamed etc. who carried same mission ie. to preach Oneness of God, worship only God etc. Using Bible itself, I can prove to Christians that Jesus was not son of god, but a messanger.
    And yes, Bible does say that light and darkness (day and night) was created before sun. This explains that part of Bible is written by man, its not A-Z word of God. Btw, Quran doesn't state such statement. Quran even supports the Big bang theory, so why not take a look at it? ^^
    I have, see that linky up there.....it covers that as well. Thanks though
     
         

  20. #370
    Senior Member shogun973's Avatar
    Status
    shogun973 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    religion was made to expalin things not understood at the time.....im a christian but once you go to college being a bio major its hard
     
         

  21. #371
    Academy Student Galen Marek's Avatar
    Status
    Galen Marek is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    God is nothing more than a creation of man to control other man.

    All the old religions focus on establishing codes of conduct and behavior, deeming what is right or wrong. To do so, they used the most powerful tool known to affect human condition: Fear of the Unknown. By explaining things that humans didn't understand or know how to explain, Religion took the upper hand and established itself as the truth. This truth was nothing more than a way to both gain validity and to also induce fear, thus forcing others to follow the conduct and rules set by the religion.

    Take the 10 commandments for example. They are nothing more than the rules of basic society; the rules needed for a large group of people who lived in a community-like structure to endure. "Don't kill your fellow man" is the basic essence of it. Don't kill other humans because its bad for the group in the long run. And if we didn't have that rule, that basic rule, humanity wouldn't be what it is today. The don't desire your neighbors wife for example, was an easy one. In non monogamic societies, males fought often for the sake of women and diseases spread, lives were loss, genetic traits were mingled, instability existed in the most "basic" form. To avoid that, the notion of a monogamic society was established by that simple rule.

    Religion is nothing more than an obsolete tool to control men by other men. Even if some religions may not fit this definition, most, specially the older ones, do. One of the reasons that its been declining in the last 2 centuries is mostly because its "fear" isn't as powerful as it was before. The earth rotates around the sun and we evolved from other primates. Adam and Eve were not the first humans and we aren't all the fruit of some big incest perpetuated by a god who punishes it. And no, the world wasn't created in 7 days but rather in millions and millions of years. Because we can now explain all of this and the hand of God isn't in either of it, Religion lost its primordial power over humanity. We are not afraid anymore.
     
         

  22. #372
    -Vegeta's Avatar
    Status
    -Vegeta is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    THE best village, Amegakure no Sato
    Posts
    26,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BlameAme
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Bravo, well said
     
         

  23. #373
    Senior Member ~WastelandSociety~'s Avatar
    Status
    ~WastelandSociety~ is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    4,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    War. War Never Changes
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    I for one believe in God.
    I don't see why most people don't give a thought that God could exist, saying God couldn't be made from nothing,yet they except the fact that nothing made something (atoms).


    I have my own experiences to believe there's an afterlife (my uncle death and what he said,etc) ,but people need to see it with their own eyes.
     
         

  24. #374
    Senior Member Stencil's Avatar
    Status
    Stencil is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    5,534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been quite inactive...
     



    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    Quote Originally Posted by ~WastelandSociety~ View Post
    I for one believe in God.
    I don't see why most people don't give a thought that God could exist, saying God couldn't be made from nothing,yet they except the fact that nothing made something (atoms).


    I have my own experiences to believe there's an afterlife (my uncle death and what he said,etc) ,but people need to see it with their own eyes.
    I've given a though if he exists and I don't think he does, and see him with his own eyes? Don't think that's happened to anyone :/
     
         

  25. #375
    Monkey D Garp Algalon's Avatar
    Status
    Algalon is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    At my desk ;)
    Posts
    8,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the fact that the best
    character in Bakuman is based
    on Eiichiro Oda
     

    Re: Do you believe in God? If so why? And If not, reasons? :)

    no

    why? well because there are many explonations that make much more sense, if we would always go for the simplest answer and cling to it we would still be living in forests
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •