Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
    Status
    Apr 2015
    This user has no status.

Do you read books?

You know there seems to be a huge correlation between success in life and reading. According to this one study, CEO's read 4-5 books a month while the average american reads a book a year. 60% of which don't even get through the first chapter.

I can imagine many get turned off by reading thanks to the boring school books we've been forced to read untill we graduated. However, when you read in your free time you choose the books you want to read, in what topic and what genre you want to read in. You also do it at your own pace because there is no homework or deadline you need to keep track of, no assignments you need to send in etc. So if you're anywhere from 10-18 years old. The best thing you can do right now to get a headstart at succeeding in life is to pick up a book.

I personally only read non-fiction books though I have been interested in The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
    Maybe start there if you're more into fiction books. Btw, girls tend to read more than guys but they read shit like 50 shades of grey which won't really help them much. So the kind of books you read makes all the difference. Men tend to read non-fiction more and one great thing about reading non-fiction is(assuming the author is legit) that you get to share in that persons life lessons without having to go through the decades and lifetime of ups and downs that they had to go through. So it massively shortens the learning curve, fills you with knowledge/wisdom and increases your chances of having a great life.

Some great books I've read that could be a starting point for you are:
    -The Millionaire Fastlane
    -The 10x Rule
    -The 50th Law
    -The Miracle Morning
    -The Prince
    -Why "A" Students work for "C" Students
    -The 48 Laws of Power
    -The Brain: The story of you(picked up in airport and still reading, great book though).

Status
    Dec 2012
    We should work towards world
    peace. Like giving everyone an
    Upa cushion...

Re: Do you read books?

cba reading books because i can't focus, it's too boring :c

Status
    This user has no status.

I don't read as much as I used to when I was in school but I did prefer fiction for entertainment like the Harry Potter series.

Status
    Feb 2012
    Praise the Sun!

Americans don't read as many books on average because it's not the leading source of entertainment anymore. CEO's probably read more because they have little time to do anything else during their leisure.

But as for books I'm reading currently.

Marcus Aurelius Medidations

Le Morte D'Arthur

Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest

The Once and Future King

Plato's Republic

Status
    Feb 2015
    God in heaven,Putin and mother
    Russia on Earth

Yeah apart from reading comic I also read books.Last year (2015) I have reed all 10 books of Song of ice and fire,all 4 books of War and peace,оur book called Велики рат (about WW1),book called Путин моћ Русије (about Putin and Russia).

Since I am finished with college I would have more time for books.

And I prefer historical books .

Status
    Apr 2015
    Acnologia"I shall
    acknowledge you as my enemy
    and i shall destroy you".

I personally am a student.
    I am reading about Technology and information and i study the holy Qur'an.
    Also i was very bored to start to learn in college cause i had to learn alot in school and i really became lazy you're right LOL

Status
    Apr 2015
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Everztar View Post
    cba reading books because i can't focus, it's too boring :c
    Swedish girl, it's only boring if you read a boring book.

Maybe your attention span wouldn't be so low if you got off your phone.

Something to think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    Americans don't read as many books on average because it's not the leading source of entertainment anymore. CEO's probably read more because they have little time to do anything else during their leisure.

But as for books I'm reading currently.

Marcus Aurelius Medidations

Le Morte D'Arthur

Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest

The Once and Future King

Plato's Republic
    The main attraction to entertainment is escapism. I didn't suggest reading books for entertainment. I advocated reading for success, reading to better your life. People entertain themselves for a fleeting moment only to go back to their shitty lives. If your life was so great you wouldn't need entertainment as much. We witness the extraordinary on screens and ordinary everywhere else.

Last edited by Yubel; 01-15-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Status
    Feb 2012
    Praise the Sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Yubel View Post
    Swedish girl, it's only boring if you read a boring book.

Something to think about.
    The main attraction to entertainment is escapism. I didn't suggest reading books for entertainment. I advocated reading for success, reading to better your life. People entertain themselves for a fleeting moment only to go back to their shitty lives. If your life was so great you wouldn't need entertainment as much.
    Well A Tale of Genji, considered to be the first literary work in the world was meant for entertainment. No matter how good your life is, you'll always need to be entertained. The richest people in the world still go to movies, play videogames, read fiction.

Otherwise how can you justify watching anime?

Banned
    Status
    I am an idiot.

This is my stash. Lost some books over the years.

As for your remark; ''The main attraction to entertainment is escapism. I didn't suggest reading books for entertainment. I advocated reading for success, reading to better your life. People entertain themselves for a fleeting moment only to go back to their shitty lives. If your life was so great you wouldn't need entertainment as much. We witness the extraordinary on screens and ordinary everywhere else.''

My ex gf's mum has closets full of life coaching books, she read them all and hasn't changed a bit. Every answer you can find by challenging yourself personally. You don't really need books for that. You'll find inspirational and eye opening signs throughout your life from the most unexpected situations. I know people from my school who run their own businesses by now and they don't read anything.

Last edited by YowYan; 01-15-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Status
    Apr 2015
    This user has no status.

Well A Tale of Genji, considered to be the first literary work in the world was meant for entertainment. No matter how good your life is, you'll always need to be entertained. The richest people in the world still go to movies, play videogames, read fiction.

Otherwise how can you justify watching anime?
    If the first thing you're thinking about when reading a book is entertainment than you got a problem. I didn't say entertainment was bad, you can still enjoy entertainment but people lack the willpower to invest their time in themselves which is the only thing that will give them a great return on investment.

Status
    Feb 2012
    Praise the Sun!

If the first thing you're thinking about when reading a book is entertainment than you got a problem. I didn't say entertainment was bad, you can still enjoy entertainment but people lack the willpower to invest their time in themselves which is the only thing that will give them a great return on investment.
    And why can't people do both like people normally do? When you go to read a manga, are you telling me you don't do it for entertainment?

Status
    Oct 2010
    I am watching you...

Yeah book reading is a good time pass hobby... I prefer fiction novels especially thrillers, I'm a big fan of Sidney Sheldon and Dan brown...

Loved to read Harry potter when I was a kid...

Status
    Dec 2012
    We should work towards world
    peace. Like giving everyone an
    Upa cushion...

Bruh, i barely use my phone O.o

Status
    Apr 2015
    This user has no status.

And why can't people do both like people normally do? When you go to read a manga, are you telling me you don't do it for entertainment?
    I don't think you understood my post. You can still entertain yourself aslong as it's not your main concern. Yeah I read manga purely for entertainment even though it's taught me more life lessons than school ever did. My point is to invest time in yourself, whether that's reading books or going to the gym or meditating or learning a new skill or just reflecting where you want to be say, 5-10 years in the future.

Status
    Aug 2012
    RPing like a boss

I don't really read self improvement books but escapism as you've mentioned. I have a very active imagination and enjoy reading vampire novels, comic books/ Manga...well men's health magazines so I suppose that counts as self improvement.

Status
    Feb 2012
    Praise the Sun!

I don't think you understood my post. You can still entertain yourself aslong as it's not your main concern. Yeah I read manga purely for entertainment even though it's taught me more life lessons than school ever did. My point is to invest time in yourself, whether that's reading books or going to the gym, meditating or just reflecting where you want to be say, 5-10 years in the future.
    And that's what people usually do. Sometimes they want entertainment and sometimes they want to learn.

However books are no longer the prime source of entertainment, which takes away half the reason why people read them as much.

Status
    Apr 2015
    This user has no status.

And that's what people usually do. Sometimes they want entertainment and sometimes they want to learn.

However books are no longer the prime source of entertainment, which takes away half the reason why people read them as much.
    Most people don't want to learn anything, but I will continue to read books and get an unfair advantage in life and in a few years I'll be called "lucky".

Status
    Jun 2013
    Haunted love has been updated.

I love reading! I was just reading a book. It's like you are in a completely different world.

World's greatest doctor Dr Gilgamesh's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2015
    Sui Ishida does not understand
    the concept of chill.

I usually only read textbooks and Mangas, novels not so much. I do enjoy the reading experience tho. There is just something incredibly satisfying about turning a page, feeling the texture of the paper and just the overall smell of books. That's why I hate ebooks lol

Status
    Jun 2013
    Haunted love has been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gilgamesh View Post
    I usually only read textbooks and Mangas, novels not so much. I do enjoy the reading experience tho. There is just something incredibly satisfying about turning a page, feeling the texture of the paper and just the overall smell of books. That's why I hate ebooks lol
    But it can be a bother to have too many. I prefer ebooks.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»