People are like katanas PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Status
    This user has no status.

Kishi loves Gandhi

Just hitting you guys up with some Gandhi quotes and how they clearly are relevant to big parts of the manga

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"
    - this can be seen in the cycle of hatred and pain that was involved in the pain arc AND literally all of the Uchiha using their MS powers, which they got through hating enough to kill their friend for power, makes them BLIND

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
    - Naruto breaking the cycle of hate, and how by being the change in the cycle of hate he changes the world for the better.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
    - Jiraiya basically said the same thing to Oro when he and Naruto went to recruit Tsunade for Hokage. I think Jiraiya said something along the lines of "the strong of a shinobi is not the number of jutsu they have but their guts". This idea is clearly mainly emphasized through Jiraiya and to a lesser extent Naruto

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. "
    -Sounds incredibly like how Naruto won over the village

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. "
    -This one is a little more subtle. It hasn't really been emphasized in the manga as overtly, but I think we will end up looking back and thinking this is appropriate. The best example I can think of is that Naruto has gotten stronger and stronger as he has forgiven people Gaara,Pain, Sasuke, etc.

"Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well. "
    - This reminds me of Naruto's ninja way and how he promises to never waiver from it. So far that has led everything to be relatively well for him.

What do you guys think? I think this is kind of uncanny and Kishi must at least love Gandhi just because they're similar in philosophy even if this isn't on purpose.

Status
    Mar 2012
    Blah

Re: Kishi loves Gandhi

okay, Kishi incorperates buddishm into his work...we all know this.

It's all asian culture...

Status
    Sun Gazing, Peripheral Blazing

almost every major mangaka's have been influenced by phylosiphers and mythology

Prince of Madness CurseSealofEarth's Avatar
    Status
    May 2012
    You actually care what I have
    to say?

Any modern Philosopher either looks at Ghandi or he just sounds like a copy cat.

Status
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreckerplayer View Post
    okay, Kishi incorperates buddishm into his work...we all know this.

It's all asian culture...
    Gandhi is Buddhist but how much did his work actually influence Buddhism? I don't really know but I get your point. I just think that it's easier to see the connections to mythology than actual philosophy.

Status
    Sun Gazing, Peripheral Blazing

there are a lot of great phylosophers out there but also people that I call free thinkers.

Free-thinkers, in like, not bound by the systematical way of thinking in our society. Like George Carlin, Ron Paul, etc

Status
    Apr 2012
    This user has no status.

Asian story asian manag ring a bell. So is pains path names are hindu hism. Its bases on asian culture. . He was a pedo now i know were orchimaru comes from. Hindus also worshipc ows naimals etc. .

Status
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by CurseSealofEarth View Post
    Any modern Philosopher either looks at Ghandi or he just sounds like a copy cat.
    I get your point... but look at the specific examples. I think they are a lot more specific to the plot than you'd think. I think the quote about "first they laugh at ..." and the "eye for an eye" one are pretty relevant and interesting.

Status
    Apr 2012
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMyshkin View Post
    I get your point... but look at the specific examples. I think they are a lot more specific to the plot than you'd think. I think the quote about "first they laugh at ..." and the "eye for an eye" one are pretty relevant and interesting.
    Also if you look deep into history ghandi philosphy is a ripoff of some regilions and culture.

Status
    This user has no status.

Ok just to clarify I don't mean to say that Kishi is ripping off Gandhi I just wonder if some of these quotes inspired specific parts of the manga. Everyone has to draw inspiration from somewhere, as soon as he wrote the plot it is undeniably his, but I just think he might have been inspired by these quotes when he made the MS make you blind or other things I mentioned.

In the same way Gandhi was inspired by culture and mythology he was exposed to, but as soon as he actually said these quotes they became undeniably his, in that he chose to articulate the thought in that way.

Banned
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Flamio sir, flam-i-o

If you think hes influenced by only Gandhi... then no comment sir

Status
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHashirama View Post
    If you think hes influenced by only Gandhi... then no comment sir
    I don't. Glad I can clarify that. I just see a philosophical connection. Definitely not the only influence.