Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
    Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Why are the naruto characters so under developed?

This is probably the most annoying thing about Naruto.(The series) The characters for the most part are 1 note people, and a lot of them can be summed up in one word, for example what's the first one you think of when i say Shikamaru? For me it's his catch phrase "what a drag" And that very much sums up his character, he's the under achieving genius, that thinks most things are a drag. You can do this with other characters as well, Hinata is the shy one, Neji is the serious one, Rock lee is the hardworking guy, and so on...And i know some of you a thinking that they all have something, a gimmick so to speak, the only real thing we see from Hinata is her love for Naruto, and for Rock lee it's his determination,(in part one anyways) and for Obito it's taking over the world, and for pain it's...Well pain. My point is that the characters are so 1 dimensional, which is a huge waste. Naruto is a unique thing, the author has created a world that's entertaining to watch and read about, it's a great work of fantasy...And the characters should be great to, don't get me wrong i think most of the characters are memorable and fun...But they are just not developed to the extend that they should have been, the manga has been around for a solid decade now right? Well, as always i would like to hear your take on this.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happily married to
    thatsAslap7. XD

Re: Why are the naruto characters so under developed?

side characters.

Vigilante Missing-Nin Uchiha Josephus's Avatar
    Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super Eternal Mangekyou
    RinneByakugan!!! #__#

So you're saying you wish the manga expanded extensively on each and every supplementary character (let's just stick with the K11)?

If it did that we'd still be back in the Pain arc.

EDIT -> for these characters we basically just get glimpses of growth (particularly in this war arc)

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    You! False God! I've killed
    your kind before.

We've seen most characters back storeys have we not?

Banned
    Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't need wings to fly.

It's because those characters are no longer important, at least, up until this chapter.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha Josephus View Post
    So you're saying you wish the manga expanded extensively on each and every supplementary character (let's just stick with the K11)?

sisten
    That's completely fine with me. Would you sacrifice quality over quantity? Manga's like Berserk take minimum 1 month for a chapter, that's to make sure that the next chapter will have a cohesive narrative with the previous ones and avoid plot holes and inconsistency.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

[QUOTE=Uchiha Josephus;9294499]So you're saying you wish the manga expanded extensively on each and every supplementary character (let's just stick with the K11)?

EDIT -> for these characters we basically just get glimpses of growth (particularly in this war arc)

Would you sacrifice quality over quantity? Manga's like berserk take minimum 1 month to make a chapter, that's to make sure that there are no inconsistency, and have a cohesive narrative.

Susanoo is amaz... ~Puppet Master~'s Avatar
    Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...ing, do you all understand?

Important characters like Itachi or Obito got plenty of development, and Naruto isn't the only one like this, take a look at Fairy Tail or Bleach.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Powermill View Post
    We've seen most characters back storeys have we not?
    Even so they haven't really developed, and for the most part it really feels tagged on...And the fact that we have the back story of the characters paves way for further development...But sadly they don't change, and stay one note characters.

Get up, Survive, Go bed. Lonely Uchiha's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I lucid dream everynight,
    almost like its another
    world.. my very own world.

so you want every character to be important and have great jutsus? =S

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Puppet Master~ View Post
    Important characters like Itachi or Obito got plenty of development, and Naruto isn't the only one like this, take a look at Fairy Tail or Bleach.

Itachi had reveals and we got more back story...But a lot of development, but he wasn't meant to have it, the author probably wanted him to stay a bit of a mystery...That's what i think anyways. Obito...He didn't really get any development, i mean he changed from basically saying "Rin, Kakashi i'm coming my friend" to "I'm in hell" in no time...He could have been so much more interesting i mean he was with Madara for two decades, he shouldn't have changed so fast, but that's just the problems rushing something can cause. And you're right about bleach and fairy tale but that's for another discussion.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Uchiha View Post
    so you want every character to be important and have great jutsus? =S
    No, i want the important characters to have it, like Sasuke, Obito, etc. They need more depth, and if done right it can be done in 2-3 chapters.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    RPing like a boss

I see your point. But there are far too many Shinobi to focus extensively on each character. Your example of Berserk works so well because they are only Guts, Isidro, Farnese, Serpico, Kaska, and the young witch(i forget her name at the moment) where as Narutohas the Konoha 11, the Kages, the Sannin, among others. That's a ton of character development compared to Berserk. As much as i agree with you on character development I still believe Kishimoto was right im keeping it simple with the support characters. You would have another Drag-On ball Z if he spent more time on this.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Mei View Post
    Si vous pensez que le fond de chaque personnage est important, que vous vous trompez.
    I'm sorry, french doesn't fall under one of the three languages i know.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

They aren't....you just can't understand a manga for shit....sorry...no offense...

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugaro Uzamaki View Post
    I see your point. But there are far too many Shinobi to focus extensively on each character. Your example of Berserk works so well because they are only Guts, Isidro, Farnese, Serpico, Kaska, and the young witch(i forget her name at the moment) where as Narutohas the Konoha 11, the Kages, the Sannin, among others. That's a ton of character development compared to Berserk. As much as i agree with you on character development I still believe Kishimoto was right im keeping it simple with the support characters. You would have another Drag-On ball Z if he spent more time on this.
    I'm not saying we need to spent 20+ chapters on each character, but the ones that have importance to the story, like the "konoha 11" i think it's fair to say that they have some importance, and character development can be furthered with 1-2 chapters, especially by someone like Masashi Kishimoto.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    RPing like a boss

Quote Originally Posted by enuzuki View Post
    I'm not saying we need to spent 20+ chapters on each character, but the ones that have importance to the story, like the "konoha 11" i think it's fair to say that they have some importance, and character development can be furthered with 1-2 chapters, especially by someone like Masashi Kishimoto.
    okay I will give you that. Its true I would have liked to have seen more devopment from Kanoha 11, but you said it yourself, they push the chapters out weekly so yeah the 11 get pushed aside to develop Naruto and Sasuke more since, in the end, it's all about those 2. Great thread by the way + rep

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by iSpeak the Truth View Post
    They aren't....you just can't understand a manga for shit....sorry...no offense...
    Well, then enlighten me...Or at least try to refute something i said before insulting people.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by iSpeak the Truth View Post

Try to relax buddy...And take another look at my first post. I'm a fan, and i've loved naruto since i was 11...So i beg to differ but i do know the manga, i know a lot of the lore that was the inspiration for justu's and characters...And the symbolic characters that embody significant things from humanity...But i'm not talking about any of these things, i'm talking about what's on the surface, i get that Kishimoto is rushing the manga a bit since there are millions demanding it, but i would love to see some of my favorite characters have more depth and personality. And yes i get that they are supporting characters but for a manga that has been around for 10+ years and the supporting characters has barely changed in all that time. they have fought powerful villians, been at the verge of total annihilation, and that hasn't affected them at all? Try to put your biased opinions aside, and really analyze it.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugaro Uzamaki View Post
    okay I will give you that. Its true I would have liked to have seen more devopment from Kanoha 11, but you said it yourself, they push the chapters out weekly so yeah the 11 get pushed aside to develop Naruto and Sasuke more since, in the end, it's all about those 2. Great thread by the way + rep

I appreciate your word. Thanks for a objective conversation.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    "It is the mark of an
    educated mind to be able to
    entertain a thought without
    accepting it"

so you want the characters to have more layers .... i don't think it is possible in a series that revolves around fighting (action) otherwise it will be extremely long (silly). kishi gave us enough to know about each character (the main things) and how much we get to see depends on how important the character is in the story. most of what happens in naruto is when the characters are about to fight, in the middle of a fight or after a fight (worried about the next fight lol) and what they fight for. what you wana see could be found in another genre ..... the series is good the way it is.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by JIRAIYA perv View Post
    so you want the characters to have more layers .... i don't think it is possible in a series that revolves around fighting (action) otherwise it will be extremely long (silly). kishi gave us enough to know about each character (the main things) and how much we get to see depends on how important the character is in the story. most of what happens in naruto is when the characters are about to fight, in the middle of a fight or after a fight (worried about the next fight lol) and what they fight for. what you wana see could be found in another genre ..... the series is good the way it is.
    o

I get that Naruto is a shonen jump Manga and they can only really be so deep, but what i want is a little more focus to the other characters, and with that the development follows...And i also know that i seem pessimistic towards Naruto on this thread, but i do love it and appreciate it for what it is, i just really wish we all could have a bit more.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    "It is the mark of an
    educated mind to be able to
    entertain a thought without
    accepting it"

Quote Originally Posted by enuzuki View Post
    o

I get that Naruto is a shonen jump Manga and they can only really be so deep, but what i want is a little more focus to the other characters, and with that the development follows...And i also know that i seem pessimistic towards Naruto on this thread, but i do love it and appreciate it for what it is, i just really wish we all could have a bit more.
    i understand where your coming from, and i can't deny you a + rep for a nice thread butlike i said before this series focuses only of the characters that have an impact in the story, so like another member said it focuses mainly on naruto and sasuke's development, since where they were and where they are headed is the hall show.

Last edited by JIRAIYA perv; 11-30-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Akuma no Ko" Robin

It isn't as much as one note characters as much as the character haven't been followed up at all. Take Hinata. Her shy and gentle nature is her natural nature. Because her family that was supposed to love her degraded her as trash because she had no natural talent...she had no confidence, but Naruto helped her change. Problem is...after getting beat by Neji she hasn't even appeared in the story except to use her Byakugan while looking for Sasuke, and getting one shotted (manga) by Pain. During the war the Second Division basically didn't exist just like the Fifth division (we saw litterally nothing of these two divisions fighting). Because Hinata was in the second division...we didn't see her do anything. Helping aim the Mind Body Transfer tech has been the biggest thing she has done since reassuring Naruto that he was strong just before he fought Neji ...

Hinata actually has a descent ammount of character to her, but she doesn't appear enough, and she doesn't show any new techniques. It is dissapointing considering she is one of my favorite characters lol.

In your example, Shikamaru has had more developement compared to many K11 members. While his background is more of a regular person. He shows constant growth up until the war. He starts off as a lazy kid. After the Chunin exams he shows his intellect and becomes a Chunin, and shows nefound leadership with the Sasuke retrieval arc. Further on we see grief in Shikimaru when Asuma is killed and we see new variations to the shadow mimic technique in that he can use it to stab people now. In the war he acts as the second in command to Gaara's division, and is seen stopping not only Kinkaku, but Obito as well (untill he is almost ghetto stomped by the Gedo Mazo). Overall, Shikamaru has actually shown growth as a person and as a Shinobi ^.^...

Basically the more screnetime a character has, the more we notice their personality growth and more techniques!

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by KGB Kakuzu View Post
    It isn't as much as one note characters as much as the character haven't been followed up at all. Take Hinata. Her shy and gentle nature is her natural nature. Because her family that was supposed to love her degraded her as trash because she had no natural talent...she had no confidence, but Naruto helped her change. Problem is...after getting beat by Neji she hasn't even appeared in the story except to use her Byakugan while looking for Sasuke, and getting one shotted (manga) by Pain. During the war the Second Division basically didn't exist just like the Fifth division (we saw litterally nothing of these two divisions fighting). Because Hinata was in the second division...we didn't see her do anything. Helping aim the Mind Body Transfer tech has been the biggest thing she has done since reassuring Naruto that he was strong just before he fought Neji ...

Hinata actually has a descent ammount of character to her, but she doesn't appear enough, and she doesn't show any new techniques. It is dissapointing considering she is one of my favorite characters lol.

In your example, Shikamaru has had more developement compared to many K11 members. While his background is more of a regular person. He shows constant growth up until the war. He starts off as a lazy kid. After the Chunin exams he shows his intellect and becomes a Chunin, and shows nefound leadership with the Sasuke retrieval arc. Further on we see grief in Shikimaru when Asuma is killed and we see new variations to the shadow mimic technique in that he can use it to stab people now. In the war he acts as the second in command to Gaara's division, and is seen stopping not only Kinkaku, but Obito as well (untill he is almost ghetto stomped by the Gedo Mazo). Overall, Shikamaru has actually shown growth as a person and as a Shinobi ^.^...

Basically the more screnetime a character has, the more we notice their personality growth and more techniques!

I appreciate your unbiased input. You summed up pretty much what i was thinking, as i said to Jaraiya perve(awesome name by the way) With more screen time they would develop, i would have loved to watch them try to get over the destruction pain did, you know? The little things, that's really what makes a character.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»