Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Was Nagato supposed to another prosephied child?

While it's obvious that Naruto is the prophesied child that will save the world because that's a standard protagonist trope, but before him, was Nagato supposed to be the one that would bring peace?

I get a Star Wars vibe where Nagato would correspond to Anakin and Naruto to Luke. Heck, I wouldn't be too surprised if Kishi got a big influence with this part of the story because Nagato/Anakin was good then evil then good again (then a zombie Nagato became evil good again)

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Was Nagato supposed to another prosephied child?

Yeah he was, Jiraiya predicted him to be the child of the prophecy thats why he took special training to him, but when Jiraiya got news that he had 'died' he thought that Minato was going to be the child of the prophecy

Status
    Jul 2012
    In my hideout planning to kidnap a princess
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I think so

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

no... the only proficized child is naruto... its just that jiraiya was always quick on the trigger to tell his more skilled students about the proficy....

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    “The paradox of vengefulness
    is that it makes men dependent
    upon those who have harmed
    them, believing that their
    release from pain will come
    only when their tormentors
    suffer.”

Nope.

Last edited by Uchiha Legacy; 11-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blah

Kabuto went good to evil

Sasuke went good to evil

Orochimaru went good to evil

Obito went good to evil

It's not like naruto killed nagato and nagato said "Naruto,I am your father"...but the ironic thing is, is that naruto's father makes his first appearance during that battle. So you may have a point.

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

While this seems to be the case and I am obviously going to get disagreement from it, I think that it's possible that Nagato was a failed prophesied child could mean this is why he got the Rinnegan (I stated before that while I accept the theory Madara may have given it to Nagato, until a chapter that shows Madara actually doing the act, I feel that Madara is lying and Nagato was born with the Rinnegan. Before/after Madara's death is something that's harder to say I think).

What I mean is that the "Chosen One" in fiction frequently will be born with the "Power of God".

Argumentative Bastard Piratefish's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    ..aaaand we are back down to
    normal...

I think both were the Chosen One, so either had the power to change the world but who would win between them was undecided.

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the words of the late,
    great Colonel Sanders:
    "I'm to drunk to taste
    this chicken "

There are multiple people who fit the bill. But it seems obvious now that it will be Naruto.

P.s. remember that like In Star Wars "A prophecy, misread could have been"

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Now that I think about it, he wasn't because Madara gave him those eyes. So it was ether Minato or Naruto..

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Oh no, I hope Disney doe't buy out Naruto!

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I said what what in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Luiigi MeH View Post
    Now that I think about it, he wasn't because Madara gave him those eyes. So it was ether Minato or Naruto..
    I was thinking the same thing. Then one wild idea appeared. Madara could have been the child of prophecy.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Piratefish View Post
    I think both were the Chosen One, so either had the power to change the world but who would win between them was undecided.
    Yeah I agree with this but I'll add a bit more; even the elder toad sage (big guy) said that the "Child of the Prophecy" did not refer to a single individual, but to both Nagato and Naruto who were trying to save the world. The fact that both Naruto and Nagato met was pure coincidence and unexpected in the foretelling, or that's the impression I got from both the manga and anime.

In regards to Minato, I think the fact he was Hokage means he could have done a lot more to change the shinobi world but the truth of the matter is he died young and he didn't have enough time, maybe down the road he could have but we'll never know for sure. Although even Minato could not come up with an answer to Nagato's question to Naruto during their fight just before he helped re-seal Kurama again, Naruto came up with his own answer using Jiraiya's teachings during his last confrontation with Nagato as we all know and able to bring Nagato back to the 'light' per say.

The 'Child of Prophecy' has evolved now to one who will bring the tailed beasts together again and set them on the right path, as the Sage of Six Paths foretold to the tailed beasts many years ago.

If you look at it like this, the three have changed the world in their own way:

Nagato -Possessed the Rinnegan, immense talent and through his actions in Akatsuki (capturing the tailed beasts), the shinboi nations created an alliance to counter the threat they possessed (7 tailed beasts), even Yahiko thought Nagato was a saviour before he died.

Minato - Was given Hokage role quite young, possessed immense talent and passed his faith onto his son to fulfill the prophecy during the Kurama attack. I guess you could say he was a pseudo 'Child of Prophecy' in way. I say 'pseudo' because as Hokage aside from protecting Konoha from Kurama, it seems that he did not achieve anything as Hokage but there is a chance he could have later on in life, if he had lived or that's the impression I get. The Fourth Raikage (A) also believed Minato to be some sort of saviour at some point until he died and 'failed', which makes me believe if he had lived then the Shinobi world might have been different due to the respect he earned among. The other thing is that Minato never believed himself to be a 'Child of Prophecy' and did not take on the role like Naruto did later on but believed Naruto would be the one.

Naruto - The current 'saviour', indirectly caused change to the shinobi world by being a jinchūriki of Kurama which has caused shinobi nations to create an alliance to protect him and the world from Akatsuki. He also managed to change Nagato back to the person he used to be before Yahiko died, which in term caused a dent in Obito/Madara's plan and changed several important people's way of thinking along the way including Gaara, Onoki and A. He has also gained the trust of pretty much 8 of the 9 tailed beasts, with 7 believing him to be the prophesied person that the original Sage of Six Paths referred to. He has also taken on the role as the 'saviour' without any questions and he has taken it upon himself to achieve the peace, his master, his pupil and himself want so he completes the prophecy more so than the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Makz View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Then one wild idea appeared. Madara could have been the child of prophecy.
    Or even Obito since they both have caused great change to the Shinobi world although the prophecy stated that Jiraiya would teach the saviour, so has to be Naruto/Nagato.

Last edited by superfuzzyllama; 11-16-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    "It is the mark of an
    educated mind to be able to
    entertain a thought without
    accepting it"

yes, the j-man thought that he could be the child of the prophisey (specially because he had the rinnegan)

Academy Student
    Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

No he wasn't Jairya only said that he might be the child of prophecy..he never said you are the child of prophecy..but his life served to give Naruto experience as he now knows what to expect from a Rinnegan user.

Status
    Feb 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

The toad sage said that Naruto and Nagato were both the children of prophecy. Nagato could've used the Rinnegan for a better purpose, using his mighty power to bring peace instead of ruin. He had the most powerful doujutsu and lineage of both Uzumaki and Senju. Quite literally, his power would've reached Rikudou Sennin levels if he had kept practicing his power more and more, mastering more jutsu and completely mastering the Rinnegan. If sharingan can only copy non-kekkei genkai because you can't master elements, the Rinnegan already can master elements. With mastered elements comes the ability to mix the two together, therefore Nagato could've potentially used kekkei genkai aside from the Rinnegan. Yes, he would've been overpowered, but then again, his goal was never to achieve greater power, it was to bring peace.

I notice that some of the strongest characters like Nagato and Itachi have one thing in common, their desire to protect their loved ones and I think that's what gives them great power. Nagato wanted world peace and protecting his friends, he utilized the Rinnegan better than Obito and Madara as far as we've seen, and Itachi looked up to Shisui, the greatest genjutsu user of the Uchiha clan, so much that it's no surprise Itachi is extremely skilled with Tsukuyomi.