Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Questions For Arsenal Fans..

At the beginning of the season did you actually believe that Arsenal was going to win the BPL? I'm not trying to throw shots at Arsenal and their fans but I want to here your honest unbiased opinion.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Questions For Arsenal Fans..

They can if they changed manager

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”

I'm no Arsenal fan but I analyze every big teams nearly here on NB and here's what I said about Arsenal at the start of season:

"Arsenal lacks finishing cruelly. As I feared, Cazorla leads midfield section admirably well but he's no offensive leader. Arsenal needs someone to inspire them in their offense like they always had; be it Henry, Fab, Nasri or RVP. I'm skeptical for them because I don't see any player capable of wearing that leader's armor. They got a good team with good template. Nonetheless, they always depend upon a leader who inspire their strike. They are in correct terms 'Gunners' but what's the point of a cannon if no one lights up the wick?"

I can't say I went much wrong in my analysis. Arsenal is a team who crucially NEEDS a leader. It's not the team of Henry/Pires/Bergkamp/Viera ect... generation but a team based on teamplay glued by a leader. Cazorla indeed inspired most of Arsenal plays but as they became over-reliant on him, he started dropping form. He's an excellent player; but not a leader. Same goes for Wilshere. Walcott has been better than my expectations but injuries and contract issues haven't helped him advance. Podolski flopped while Giroud is on slow-rate improvement. Gervinho is mostly irritating. Ox lost his shine. Rosisky and Diaby are too often on injury-bed.

In short, I'm not surprised of their form. Arsenal is a team who relies on a leader who pulls all the others - a driver; whether it's a goal-scorer or a playmaker. But as I feared with their recruitments, they chose good add-ons to embellish teamplay but no leader capable of making this team flowing. It's a team whose spirit and playstyle is disrupted when there's no leader. It's nice when some players put on the leader-shirt to call it a day in some matches like Cazorla/Giroud/Walcott did in 6-8 matches but they don't repeat it on constant basis.

And that can be seen in matches like against Norwich, Villa or Swansea where 2-3 seasons before, players like Fab, Nasri, RVP would have endorse their responsibility and pull Arsenal through barely in those kind of matches. And since their defence has never been their forte, they end up concending match-deciders goals in last-minutes as they failed to break the lock due to absence of a key leader. Worst is that their defence gets also leaky in big matches and makes shocking mistakes like against Liverpool, United or Shalke.

Many are blaming it on Wenger and his choices to rely on players like Gervinho, Podolski, Jenkinson, Ramsey ect... While I agree that his system of playing many players out of position costs Arsenal, it's wrong to ask for his head out of Emirates. Their team lacks a talent capable of inspiring the 10 others on the field on constant basis. Maybe, he's just trying to play 11 players capable of having great field-understanding instead of relying on individual abilities; knowing that he does not possess someone with the ability Arsenal needs to remain at the top. The fault goes mainly to the way the Arsenal board has fixed their ambitions and spending policy.

If someone needs to be sacked, I'd say kick Gazidis, Kroenke and all their minions out first. Then give Wenger some months to see how he fares with a new board and staffs. If he still can't get the job done and succeed in the expectations, then it may be time to say farewell to him.

The White Demon Totsuka No Tsurugi's Avatar
    Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot take pride in such a
    meager endeavour

^i think Wilshare can lead them, after all he's the best young England players ATM.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”

Quote Originally Posted by Totsuka No Tsurugi View Post
    ^i think Wilshare can lead them, after all he's the best young England players ATM.
    That's the hope many Arsenal fans have been keeping but I'm skeptical.
    Wilshere is an excellent midfielder; just like Cazorla but I don't see a leader in any of them.
    Maybe it's a lack of charisma, maybe it's the injury issues of Wilshere or maybe it's the lack of consistency.
    Cazorla/Wilshere/Arteta can become a fantastic trio that become Arsenal midfield bosses but winning midfield battle doesn't ensure success in all parts. They should have a player that inspire all others as I said or is capable to break a tight score when his comrades are in an off-day.

But you are spot-on with one thing: Wilshere is the most promising young England player and Cleverley's improvement is really being more and more impressive. They should make an awesome trio with a now-more experienced Rooney in attacking midfield. Atleast, in theory cause I'm so used to disappointments with England. That being said, I'm not worried once the-said "golden generation" (who still didn't won anything with England) of Gerrard-Lampard-Beckham-Scholes-Terry-Ashley Cole retire.