Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [December 2012]

Quote Originally Posted by Netsui View Post
    Yeah. You're surprised?
    Not really, lol
    Okay... This is what happened after my first pm, as you all hopefully remember what looked like, lol. Here is the next details in our quest :

Quote Originally Posted by Michael92
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawliet
    Okay. This means I'll scrap the January 2013 contest and just dub it 'The fanfic that survived the apocalypse' (lol.) Or shall i do it in between? What do you think?
    I feel honored that you're asking for my opinion ^^
    Well, we're still here after the so called "world's end " on the 21st of Dec, lol, but regarding your question, I do think most people would want to have this (if made possible) as an addition/bonus to the regular contests that you have each month. If you scrap the January's contest to host something that's just for fun and without rewards (if you choose to host it on those premisses ), some people might not like the idea, but if you would be able to do them both simultaneously or even one at a time (not sure how you would pull that off though), I guess that would be most desirable. I mean, most people think it would be cool to have one, regardless of there being any awards for placing or not, but at the same time, they would want to have the regular contests each month.

I researched the art contest section, to check what Caliburn have done in the past, and it seems like the first art contest of the year that he held for 2009 was pulled off at the same time as the January contest of 2010, and the art contest of the year 2010 was hosted in April 2011 together with that month's contest. Lastly, he seem to have skipped having one for 2011 (not sure why, or I simply couldn't find it through my quick search). Whether he's planning one for 2012 or not, that I do not know, but this tells me that he never scratched a contest of the month to pull a contest of the year off. So if you did one, you would also be able to keep the "unbroken" chain of contests since the beginning of NB's FF of the month contests. It would perhaps sound weird if you were going to call off a contest of the month, which never has happened before and is something that has been hosted once a month since early 2009?

If anything, you're the one who's going to have to decide when to host it, which people and which FanFic (nominating the whole FanFic for example) or Chapters they will participate with (and if so, if it will be three chapters or more), and on what premisses - just for fun or having awards, etc.

I picked some lines from Caliburn's Art of the Year contests which I thought was fitting to be quoted here, and that perhaps can be used as a guideline to how it can be done, if, if you're planning on hosting one for the FF/contest section that is:

Quote Originally Posted by Caliburn
    2010:

It's time for the second edition of NB's Art of the Year contest ^^ As the name indicates the best artworks from the past year will be decided during this month. The concept is a bit different than then the normal Art Contest. For starters the poll will be open for a whole month. Also the poll is multi-voting, you can vote for more than one person, so don't be too hasty with voting like some dipsticks last year who just instantly voted for one person because they didn't read it well ~_~

The way the submissions were decided was also different than the normal procedure. Everyone who at least made it twice to the poll last year was automatically qualified. Then I decided their submission from all the drawings they used in those polls. In case I couldn't decide I let the persons themselves decide. The point of this contest isn't only to decide the best drawings of 2010, but more importantly as a way to thank all the people who participated last year. That's why people who only participated once, even if they won, weren't qualified for this contest. Though there were several people, even though they qualified, that aren't in the poll because they are perm banned or they just didn't want to.

Good luck to all the participants ^^

◊ Prizes ◊

And what about the prizes? There will be no prizes! Jippydoodledoo! This contest is just for fun and I don't want to spoil it by starting to give out things like larger avy's, colored names etc. however the winners will be added to the Dome of Legends, which contains only the crème de la crème of NB's masterworks. And who knows...I might use my awsome green-smod-broom powers to excavate the Award Case for something extra...I don't promise anything though.

◊ Rules ◊

Even though there aren't any prizes, I still want to make a summary of the rules as that isn't an excuse to break them. I want that the best artworks win and not just your artwork or that of your friends.

◊ Thanks ◊

I want to personally thank every person who voted and/or participated in the Art Contest last year. It was a long year with the occasional flaming/insulting/spamming for God knows why, numerous people tried to cheat again (do they ever learn?), there were a lot of new types of artworks (ink, doors, even a guy who drew on a pair of slippers) and of course there are always people who fail to read the rules. There have been times that I had to cut the amount of submission in half as otherwise there would be too many and other times that we barely had any submission at all. But there were always people who participated and as a result the Art Contest is now in its third year of existence
    Especially Ryuji, who participated in 9 of the 12 editions of 2010 and as a result holds now officially the record of having participated the most times in one year!

2009:

This is mainly for the people who have been with us from the beginning or who left an impression on us. Who doesn't know how much Lara has been owning our butts, how Ryu-kun always just didn't win, how many times I had to abuse my Golden Vote Every person has only one artwork which I've chosen personally. Of course I can't include everyone in the poll, so I only added the people who really deserved to get in it. People who only participated once I left out for instance.

~Thanks~

There have been other people who ended up in the top three and even won it, but I didn't add them because they often only participated once or they aren't active anymore. This way I stil want to mention some of them:

HiddenShadowNinja: Entered most of the earlier contests and he had some skill. However he always just fell out of the top three and because he isn't active anymore, I didn't include him.
    Enrix: Entered only once and it is possible that it was the biggest win so far. He would be one of the top-favourites to get first place here, but because he only entered once and he isn't active anymore I didn't include him.
    Aniibot26: Entered once and reached third place. Though again because she only entered once I didn't include her
    -Kuro Ite-: Entered multiple times and reached once second place. One of the few persons who actually dared to color his work. Originally I added him to the poll, but that knucklehead deleted his own artwork and isn't able atm to upload it again.

And of course I thank all the other people who monthly vote and/or submit their artwork^^ I hope 2010 will be a good year for the contest. New faces are always welcomed.
    - Fragments picked from the Art of the Year 2009 and 2010

As you can see, Caliburn hosted those contests just for fun and on some different premisses than the ordinary ones.

By reading his setup, the following are notes taken by Caliburn's ideas and can be taken into consideration for a possible FFoTY "contest;"

* The Poll being open for a longer period of time than the usual once a month contests.

* Multiple Poll Voting.

* More Contestants than usual - depending on whom you choose and on what premiss.

* If there is a requirement, like participating a certain number of times in the year, placing top three, or if you personally choose the people whom will be in it.

* Making it a contest of free choice for whomever qualifies or for whomever you pick out.

* Would the people chosen be able to pick out their own work and chapters to participate with, or would you choose for them (either three or more chapters, or perhaps even the writers work as a whole).

* Would there be any prices or not?

* Making something special out of the contest, praising every writer of NB and those whom have participated in its contests, perhaps even something along the line of what Caliburn did (had some honorable mentions, people whom participated the most times, had the most posts in the contest threads, etc - some fun facts in other words).

In conclusion, I hate doing long PMs like this as I know it can be tiring to read, but I hope this was a fair enough of an opinion for you to read and whatever you decide to do, the above can be used as guidelines for a possible future FFoTY contest. Let me know what you think ^^

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Writer in Training! I have so
    much I want to write, but
    there's not enough hours in
    the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    Not really, lol
    Okay... This is what happened after my first pm, as you all hopefully remember what looked like, lol. Here is the next details in our quest :
    That was probably the longest PM I've seen, but I liked it.

Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

That was probably the longest PM I've seen, but I liked it.
    Yeah, I got eager , but in all honesty, it had to be a real, well-detailed effort, instead of a simple yes or no answer, lol. I think I was speaking for most people when I replied with that answer, no?

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    the day.

Yeah, I got eager , but in all honesty, it had to be a real, well-detailed effort, instead of a simple yes or no answer, lol. I think I was speaking for most people when I replied with that answer, no?
    Yeah. ^^ That's the thing about suggestions. You need to go into detail.

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

Yeah. ^^ That's the thing about suggestions. You need to go into detail.
    Indeed ^^
    We shall see what she will end up deciding in the end Fingers crossed ^^
    Oh, and it seems like this is this thread's final, final moments (unless the poll gets extended once more, lol), so I doubt we'll get much more posts, therefore, why don't you do the honor of closing it for good?

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    the day.

Indeed ^^
    We shall see what she will end up deciding in the end Fingers crossed ^^
    Oh, and it seems like this is this thread's final, final moments (unless the poll gets extended once more, lol), so I doubt we'll get much more posts, therefore, why don't you do the honor of closing it for good?
    You sure? You saw what happened whenever you posted the thread closed. It just continued to be closed. :lmao: I'll try doing the honor, though.

~ Thread Closed ~

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    SENZU BEAN

Not really, lol
    That's cool! ^_^

Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I am back :lmao: so what did i miss

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're here.

Not really, lol
    I like it man.
    You sure? You saw what happened whenever you posted the thread closed. It just continued to be closed. :lmao: I'll try doing the honor, though.

~ Thread Closed ~
    oh don't you you even try.
    Quote Originally Posted by serenaandrosie View Post
    everything :D

Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra73 View Post
    I like it man.

I see

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

~ Thread Closed ~
    Haha, but it's so close to closing anyways, and why would people continue commenting after the poll is closed, even if this thread is still open, huh? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    That's cool! ^_^
    Fiona! O_o xD Oh well, guess it will be open for a little bit longer I suppose

And that's good that you think it's cool ^^

Everything O_o You should read through all the pages girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra73 View Post
    I like it man.
    That's good.
    Omg xD
    Indeed

I see
    So now... all we're waiting for is for Lawliet to close this thread (and go through the votes, in case of alts - Let's hope not >_>) as the contest is over, so that we can head on to the new year and a new contest, so have a happy New Year's Eve everyone ^^ We made this thread good, didn't we?
    If anyone's eager to find out more on the FFoTY "quest," just vm me, and I'll provide new info when I have it.
    Yet again, I'll use this opportunity to thank all my voters and readers as you're still keeping this old relic of the past alive after all these years Thank you, it means everything ^^

The final post standings

~ Thread Officially Closed ~
    - Lawliet

See you all next year!

Last edited by Michael92; 12-30-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Lawliet.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    WESLEY
    <3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, but it's so close to closing anyways, and why would people continue commenting after the poll is closed, even if this thread is still open, huh? ^^

That's good.
    Omg xD
    Indeed

So now... all we're waiting for is for Lawliet to close this thread (and go through the votes, in case of alts - Let's hope not >_>) as the contest is over, so that we can head on to the new year and a new contest, so have a happy New Year's Eve everyone ^^ We made this thread good, didn't we?
    If anyone's eager to find out more on the FFoTY "quest," just vm me, and I'll provide new info when I have it.
    Yet again, I'll use this opportunity to thank all my voters and readers as you're still keeping this old relic of the past alive after all these years Thank you, it means everything ^^

The final post standings

- Lawliet

See you all next year!

Just because the voting is over doesn't mean discussion ceases. There would be discussion about the winners and votes- no? + you cannot expect me to be online the minute the poll closes.

And excuse me but who do you think you are putting words into my mouth? Or rather posting on behalf of myself? Would you like me to get started on the PM you sent me about the FFOTY, or have you merely forgotten what PM actually stands for?

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to see how much writing
    I can squeeze in before the
    fall semester begins.

That's good.
    Omg xD
    Indeed

The final post standings

- Lawliet

See you all next year!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
    Just because the voting is over doesn't mean discussion ceases. There would be discussion about the winners and votes- no? + you cannot expect me to be online the minute the poll closes.

And excuse me but who do you think you are putting words into my mouth? Or rather posting on behalf of myself? Would you like me to get started on the PM you sent me about the FFOTY, or have you merely forgotten what PM actually stands for?
    Ow, BURN, Michael!!

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

Quote Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post

Yeah, I guess there could have been some more discussion made here if people wanted to milk the post contest some more, even if it's at it's end, but we were just fooling around, trying to win the "thread closed" competition, and regarding the winners, that's why we have the winners thread? So that the winners and all that can be discussed there, is it not? Yeah I know that, as that would not be human at all, lol.

I wasn't posting on behalf of you O_o that whole post was mine and mine alone, if you're referring to the thing at the end, that was just to secure the win over Cobra and Chakrawizard on who got to "close" the thread of us (we all know it's you who does that eventually, but what we were doing was just for fun).

But, I was sending that PM on behalf of all of us here in the contest. They are equally as eager as I am to hear what you have to say on the matter. The reason I took it to PM, was because I didn't want to make another thread on the same topic like I did before, as like I said, it would be wiser to take it directly to you this time, as I could have taken it through VM as well if it hadn't been for the limit on VMs. Don't you think that since they are with us on the suggestion, they can get informed on how the process goes too? I did not honestly think that you would take it bad as It's not like this was a sensual matter, even if it is through PM? If you were offended because I shared news on how things were going regarding the suggestion, then I'm truly sorry to have upset you, and can only hope you understand my point of view as well. And the other thing was just a silly game, and we meant no harm by it

Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    Ow, BURN, Michael!!
    -_- Yeah, rub it in. My heart practically jumped there for a second, expecting serious infractions...

Last edited by Michael92; 12-31-2012 at 01:40 AM.