Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Derp

Itachi is God (literary symbolism)

This isn't a thread about hype, feats, or who beats who. It's just some interesting symbolism.

First and most obviously, Itachi seems to constantly introduce new techniques named after gods: Tsukuyomi, Amaterasu, Susano'o, Izanami, and Kotoamatsukami. While these techniques are not limited to him, the author constantly used Itachi to introduce them. By itself, this may not be much, however... Itachi's characteristic animal, the raven or crow, also holds symbolic presitige in Japan for being the messengers of the divine. This is playfully executed by the author when Itachi uses Karasu Bunshin, or crows, to communicate with (and through) Naruto and Sasuke.

Next, "Itachi" is practically synonymous with "genjutsu." Divine beings create reality, the Rikudō does this for instance, and genjutsu, particularly the sort that Itachi uses, imposes a reality on his victims. With Tsukuyomi, Itachi compares himself with the omnipotent, as he controls all of space, and even time within his realm. This 'talent for creation' is driven home when Deidara is awestruck by Itachi's "art," (creation, illusion) and in that scene in particular, Itachi is surrounded by divine symbolism within what appears to be a shrine while drenched in light as Deidara is amazed, then envious.

Lastly, the author gave Itachi the Totsuka (the Kusanagi variant pulled from the corpse of Orochi) and the Yata Mirror. These are two items of the imperial regalia, and were historically used as proof for the Japanese emperor's divinity. Do you want to guess the only other character to have an item from the imperial regalia? You guessed it: Rikudō Sennin, who was wearing the necklace. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that the entirety of Itachi's arsenal, from crows clones, to genjutsu, to legendary items, to the eye techniques he introduces... are all symbols of divinity. I imagine Japanese readers picked up on all of this instantly whereas foreigners were left in the dust. It makes you wonder what else we're missing about characters and their mythological symbolism. I bet there's a wealth of uninterpreted knowledge!

Last edited by Lilt; 12-30-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Itachi is God (literary symbolism)

Hmmm sure I guess

FEAR THE GENTLE FIST The Demonic Kazekage's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im bored

wow,thats awesome

Status
    Dec 2012
    The deepest Darkest Corners of Your mind trying To corrupt your soul and will to fight
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

defitinely

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

You've opened my eyes! Brilliant analysis there.

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those who can't acknowledge
    their real selves are bound to
    fail.

Yeah, nice found.
    But everybody knows the only god is Madara.

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    just ate a baby elefant

Excellent !! (mr Burns Voice)

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

not god but one of the best characters.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I Never lose.....

I just wanna see the so6p true powers like he soloed the juubi he must be godlike power and when he sealed the juubi his power became 100times stronger.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilt View Post
    This isn't a thread about hype, feats, or who beats who. It's just some interesting symbolism.

First and most obviously, Itachi seems to constantly introduce new techniques named after gods: Tsukuyomi, Amaterasu, Susano'o, Izanami, and Kotoamatsukami. While these techniques are not limited to him, the author constantly used Itachi to introduce them. By itself, this may not be much, however... Itachi's characteristic animal, the raven or crow, also holds symbolic presitige in Japan for being the messengers of the divine. This is playfully executed by the author when Itachi uses Karasu Bunshin, or crows, to communicate with (and through) Naruto and Sasuke.

Next, "Itachi" is practically synonymous with "genjutsu." Divine beings create reality, the Rikudō does this for instance, and genjutsu, particularly the sort that Itachi uses, imposes a reality on his victims. With Tsukuyomi, Itachi compares himself with the omnipotent, as he controls all of space, and even time within his realm. This 'talent for creation' is driven home when Deidara is awestruck by Itachi's "art," and in that scene in particular, Itachi is surrounded by divine symbolism and drenched in light.

Lastly, the author gave Itachi the Totsuka (the Kusanagi variant pulled from the corpse of Orochi) and the Yata Mirror. These are two items of the imperial regalia, and were historically used as proof for the Japanese emperor's divinity. Do you want to guess the only other character to have an item from the imperial regalia? You guessed it: Rikudō Sennin. So! I just thought it was interesting that the entirety of Itachi's arsenal, from crows clones, to genjutsu, to legendary items, to the eye techniques he introduces... are all symbols of divinity. I imagine Japanese readers picked up on all of this instantly whereas foreigners were left in the dust. It makes you wonder what else we're missing about characters and their mythological symbolism. I bet there's a wealth of uninterpreted knowledge!
    Itachi is a beast !

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Akuma no Ko" Robin

Maybee not that he is symbolic god as much as a symbol of maybee peace or the sense of being more then what one appears (how a god is more thsn a man). Since he obviously turned out a hero, it is an aspect thst he sacrificed his life for a greater or more divine good.or justice.

Good point though :D

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Derp

Yeah, he could definitely be a symbol for peace as well, as he is noted as a pacifist and even a vegetarian in the databook. I believe his favorite word is peace as well.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shit! It

Quote Originally Posted by Masked man View Post
    Yeah, nice found.
    But everybody knows the only god is Madara.
    loool madara is not a God either.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    When people are part of a
    group...

yes. his god. and all of those so called god has identical feature. they don't even exist.

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    God hates New Mexico.

I can guarantee you that more foreigners caught that stuff than Japanese. They aren't as attached to their symbolism as you would think.