This is a a question I have been thinking about for a while. If you think about it, the time period in which Madara and Hashirama faught each other was not that long ago in the Naruto world. Sure... 100 years... 70 years... 50 years... etc... seems like a long time when you think about it, but it's not. In the Naruto world, most villages have had 4-5 Kages pass, which isn't a lot. When Madara was alive to find Obito, he had to be about 100... 110? 115 latest? These are just guesses. But the Sage has 2 kids: one with the sage's eyes & one with the sage's body.

I originally thought that perhaps Hashirama was the son or grandson of the child with the sages eyes & I thought Madara was the son or grandson of the child with sage's eyes. But... if you really think about it, years and years had to pass before Madara and Hashirama were born, seeing as the 'eyes & sage's body have their own clan (Uchiha and Senju).

So what do you think? How distant is Madara and how distant is Hashirama from the sage? Grandsons (highly doubt)? An entire generation? Longer? Would the sage be considered their ancestor?