View Poll Results: I don't participate because..

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • the medal/prizes are boring

The results are hidden 0%
  • the themes are boring

• 1 week isn't enough time

• I forget about it e_e'

• I'm too busy/don't care

• ________ (other)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
    Status
    Dec 2012
    itadakimasu!

AotW Survey!!!

The main reason why I don't participate is...

"If there was one thing I could change about AotW, it'd be.." (post below).

Last edited by Pekoms; 03-30-2015 at 04:45 AM.

Status
    Happiness is all I want.

Re: AotW Survey!!!

I feel like Aotw is too plain. It doesn't have a good incentive to want to participate in the contest overall. Some changes could be made to make it more desirable to participate in.

Status
    Dec 2012
    itadakimasu!

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    I feel like Aotw is too plain. It doesn't have a good incentive to want to participate in the contest overall. Some changes could be made to make it more desirable to participate in.
    Incentive as in prizes/rewards, or something else entirely?

Status
    Apr 2014
    Favourite project:
    The God Complex by. GoldLink

For me, it's the themes that are lacking in AotW. I think the themes are sometimes plain, sometimes too wide. We need a fresh theme every week to spark our interests, and sometimes the themes are just plain, boring, or in some sort of way 're-used'.

Status
    Jun 2013

I forgot about it three times. Not even that all the contests. And there should always be three winners.

Status
    May 2013
    #Akashaisthebest

I've participated on several but never won so I stopped bothering.
    On a serious note, the concept of AotW is fine and all, it's great even. However, I do think it's 'boring' compared to FUB (funny), or even Manga coloring where you just color a manga page. Compared to browsing images on google, it seems pretty boring.
    The rewards are good for a once-a-week contest.

Also, some of the themes are meh. Some are too plain and boring, or too restricting. For instance, Politics would be considered a boring theme, and deadly sins is a theme that is extremely restricting, so I would think that a vague theme would help.

Status
    Happiness is all I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekoms View Post
    Incentive as in prizes/rewards, or something else entirely?
    What are the prizes and rewards you have in mind. When I mean incentive I mean a challenge. The main reason I don't particpate in this contest is because it's boring. All you do is google images and place them in a album. The whole concept is kinda of basic. Since this is Alblum of the week, why can't we actually make a album cover for something. Make it more challenging and fun.

Status
    May 2013
    #Akashaisthebest

What are the prizes and rewards you have in mind. When I mean incentive I mean a challenge. The main reason I don't particpate in this contest is because it's boring. All you do is google images and place them in a album. The whole concept is kinda of basic. Since this is Alblum of the week, why can't we actually make a album cover for something. Make it more challenging and fun.

that would make me not want to participate xD

Status
    Happiness is all I want.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardSama View Post
    that would make me not want to participate xD
    Plenty of people join POTM and that's is designing/graphics based. What I'm suggesting is ideas that can reach a wider base of people. I have talked to people that say they don't participate because It's basic. This contest has great potential but it isn't used sadly.

Status
    Oct 2011
    Rosinante

My post was ignored in the Discussion thread, so I will copy/paste that.

Making it monthly is kinda meh. Maybe every two weeks even. I think the theme's have been too far-fetched lately. Possibly explaining the lack of participation, from my point of view, themes like Action and turmoil and also the last one seemed off the road of creativity. I'm not necessarily saying it's anyone's fault. But when a theme gives a wide aspect and leaves many angles to approach, people get creative and are more likely to participate.

Other than that, I too look forward to the new AotM. Hopefully monthly won't be deal breaker for many.
    As an additional comment, I believe weekly is perfectly fine. I'd be less motivated to participate if I had to wait 28/30 days to see who won. Specially in a contest where the submission can be done in 2 days time, let alone 7 entire days to work up an album.

Last edited by Loki; 03-30-2015 at 05:15 AM.

Status
    Apr 2014
    Favourite project:
    The God Complex by. GoldLink

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    As an additional comment, I believe weekly is perfectly fine. I'd be less motivated to participate if I had to wait 28/30 days to see who won. Specially in a contest where the submission can be done in 2 days time, let alone 7 entire days to work up an album.
    I fully agree with this. Seven days is completely fine for a participant to hand in their album.

Status
    Jul 2012
    "How lucky I am to have
    something that makes saying
    goodbye so hard." -
    Winnie the Pooh

Plenty of people join POTM and that's is designing/graphics based. What I'm suggesting is ideas that can reach a wider base of people. I have talked to people that say they don't participate because It's basic. This contest has great potential but it isn't used sadly.
    So... making it more accessible means making it harder for the average joe to win, but present a more engaging challenge to higher-level GFXers?

Honestly, the contest is fine the way it is, there just needs to be a revision in themes and stuff. Why not have a main theme and "sub-themes"? Like: "Life" with "black and white"

Status
    Happiness is all I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Souji View Post
    So... making it more accessible means making it harder for the average joe to win, but present a more engaging challenge to higher-level GFXers?

@Bold: You mean making the contest more active? Challenging doesn't equate to hard. Challenging means it takes more skill and you're going to have to put in some effort into it. Effort isn't hard. Satisfying the average joe isn't fun. Why should a contest be reduced in quality to suit people who want something easy?

@Underlined: I never said this contest should be GFX based. I said this is Ablum of the week so why can't we actually design a album cover. This contest opens up multiple options for different challenges. This contest shouldn't be put into one type of challenge, it should be more diverse and fun. Changing up the style of this contest could help motivate people to participate imo.

Status
    May 2013
    #Akashaisthebest

@Bold: You mean making the contest more active? Challenging doesn't equate to hard. Challenging means it takes more skill and you're going to have to put in some effort into it. Effort isn't hard. Satisfying the average joe isn't fun. Why should a contest be reduced in quality to suit people who want something easy?

@Underlined: I never said this contest should be GFX based. I said this is Ablum of the week so why can't we actually design a album cover. This contest opens up multiple options for different challenges. This contest shouldn't be put into one type of challenge, it should be more diverse and fun. Changing up the style of this contest could help motivate people to participate imo.
    Much of the base's contest requires some form of GFX 'skills', which I, and a handful of others, lack. I think the idea and approach to AotW is just fine, so non-GFX'ers can have a shot <.<

Status
    Jul 2012
    "How lucky I am to have
    something that makes saying
    goodbye so hard." -
    Winnie the Pooh

The contest hasn't been reduced in quality since its inception; the essence of AoTW is to find a group of images and compile them to fit the week's theme, while also be aesthetically pleasing, among other criteria. The criteria for winning is clearly outlined in the contest post.

Nothing is stopping the best GFXers from entering the contest; it's what they decide to do with the theme itself, and the effort that's put in. AoTW 143's winner is a great example of what I mean.

I personally believe the primary reason people don't participate are the themes, as people before have stated. If there was a "theme" and "style" sub-theme (or other sub-themes), it would work better, giving contest participants a better sense of direction.

However, at the same time, a broader theme allows people to think outside the box and present new, unconventional ways of looking at something. So there has to be a fine balance.

Status
    Mar 2011
    What the deck is Yu-Gi-Oh-ing
    on here?

For me, some of the latest themes have been pretty boring; not really my point. I've become more busy over the course of this year, don't really have the time. My attention is needed else where (i.e RP) - I think maybe similar to what Souji said; try a week out where it is just a sub-theme within a main broader theme.

Status
    Apr 2010
    Feeling Fly

I like the AOTW contest because its not a popularity contest like all the other except POTM.
    I stoped participating because I don't have time.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Status

I usually participate but even though, I can't say I like the themes. Maybe there should be another method of selecting themes, idk.
    Also making it monthly will totally ruin it.
    If the themes are better, I guess a lot more people would participate xD.
    And oh, a new medal/award would be nice. Not too many people like this one xD .

Status
    Jul 2014
    f**ck off or you'll get solo'd

A new medal would be cool and i think that should be made for all contests.

Status
    Mar 2014
    Better the devil you know than
    the devil that you don't know

I think you should change this back into a week thing.

I also think the themes are boring and could be more tasteful. I mean seriously, does anybody find current events to even be exciting..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»