Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so done, yet I continue
    on.

The pros and cons of releasing something chapter by chapter?

Okay so I wanted to ask you guys about this. Seeing all the discussion on these forums about what will happen in upcoming Naruto chapters made me think how this is all possible because of the way Naruto is released: chapter by chapter. It is not yet finished, so you can always speculate. This is also the case for a lot of other shows. I was thinking how this is different to other things, like most books for example, you just get the whole finished book and then read it. Sure, while you're reading it or whatever you can think what is going to happen, but then you can just turn the page and see what did actually happen, and in the end you'll have finished the whole thing. All the chapters have been completed and put in one place from the time you pick it up.

So, I guess the question is: Which do you prefer? Do you like the suspense it creates when you have to wait for the next chapter or episode of something? Or would you rather just have a finished product that you can go through all at once....
    Hopefully this is in the right section.

The word is Pretentious. Naruto N Uzumaki's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: The pros and cons of releasing something chapter by chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post

So, I guess the question is: Which do you prefer? Do you like the suspense it creates when you have to wait for the next chapter or episode of something? Or would you rather just have a finished product that you can go through all at once....
    Definitely something I can go through all at once.

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    #Dragyzophobia #Akashaphilia
    #Kirikoe4EIG #RuthlessLA
    #ShadowRiderTheJouninFade

I actually feel bad for the ppl who start reading the manga after that Tobi's identity has been revealed, there was so many theories about him.

So ye, I really like the way the chapters get released once every week ^^
    For me, it make me enjoy every single chapter even more.

Status
    Currently in Ancrath with Amaimon shishou
    Post Thanks / Like
    the 3 rules of flow - Go with
    the flow - Merge with the flow
    - Disrupt the flow -

nice thread one of the best ive seen in a while with a decent question xD lol i suppose ide have to say i prefere it chapter by chapter.... i say this because if it wasnt for this then i wouldnt be on this site and i wouldnt have met a load of people ... simply because if it didnt come out chapter by chapter people wouldnt have any theories to make or much to discuss... there wouldnt be many mysteries ...

so i definetly say chaper by chapter because i love the suspense and i like seeing all the theories people make

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    In death, there is peace.

i enjoy once a week over bi monthly and monthly

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

there's merit to both imo. with a good book it's nice to finish everything at once, especially in a series which naturally has some element of suspense from one book to the next. on the other hand, manga chapters bring a lot of fun with speculating and build up a much larger world. the mysteries of tobi and the 6th coffin were tremendous fun, i feel very bad for someone who's spoiled in things to do with naruto.

of course, it has to be smartly done, if it drags on too much you lose interest. for example, one piece has a lot of interesting stuff like the Will of D, why BB can use multiple devil fruits etc, but since we're not given much information and they're surely years away from being revealed, it's hard to develop more than a passing interest. the thing about Tobi's identity was that we were constantly given pieces of information, which at the same time gave little away. so up till the end of Madara bursting out of the 6th coffin, it was equally possible that Tobi was a myraid of characters, and then slowly the possibilities began to be eliminated one by one, starting with Madara obv, then Izuna when Madara mentioned him, and so on. although i feel that kishi made a poor choice with obito lol. but on the whole he's very good at building topics for discussion, the world he's build is incredibly rich and intriguing.

Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so done, yet I continue
    on.

Quote Originally Posted by -Tsuki View Post
    I actually feel bad for the ppl who start reading the manga after that Tobi's identity has been revealed, there was so many theories about him.

So ye, I really like the way the chapters get released once every week ^^
    For me, it make me enjoy every single chapter even more.
    Haha yeah I agree about those people, because although there were a lot of crazy theories going around there were good ones too and it was just fun to see everyone's theory anyway.The people who started later missed all of that, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirikoe View Post
    nice thread one of the best ive seen in a while with a decent question xD lol i suppose ide have to say i prefere it chapter by chapter.... i say this because if it wasnt for this then i wouldnt be on this site and i wouldnt have met a load of people ... simply because if it didnt come out chapter by chapter people wouldnt have any theories to make or much to discuss... there wouldnt be many mysteries ...

so i definetly say chaper by chapter because i love the suspense and i like seeing all the theories people make
    Thanks. Yeah, like I said before I think the theories are always interesting to see, and if you have a whole finished product you can only have theories about what might have happened after or if something had gone differently, which I think is not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Baka Sennin View Post
    there's merit to both imo. with a good book it's nice to finish everything at once, especially in a series which naturally has some element of suspense from one book to the next. on the other hand, manga chapters bring a lot of fun with speculating and build up a much larger world. the mysteries of tobi and the 6th coffin were tremendous fun, i feel very bad for someone who's spoiled in things to do with naruto.
    Agree, and I (stupidly) forgot about book series, good to bring it up.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Darling,tell me what you
    need."

"Peter."

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post

Both have pros and cons. I can't say what one I prefer.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Ranger, Sun Gazer

I prefer chapter by chapter. And I highly respect a well thought out plot that isn't too easy to guess.