Page 4 of 9 « First 12345678 ... Last»
    Banned
    Status
    This user has no status.

Re: Free will is only an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Truemadara View Post
    There are only negative outcomes for choices for those who allow there to be a negative outcome

Say you don't pay your rent and you become homeless..that's a negative outcome because the end of that statement is you being homeless

Free will is what makes half of these bums ask for money on the train everyday

When they can spend 8 dollars on a I'd. Maybe about 15 on birthcertificate..its free for a ss card and then use that to get a job

That is the true essence of free will. No matter what the outcome is you still have a choice to do something different as long as your alive.

So, if iI hold a gun to your head and give you two options to choose from cutting off your left hand or your right hand, you can decide on your free will from these 2 possibilities?
    You have the free will to choose from the given possibilities, but the point of the threadmaker was that you don't choose many factors that define your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by labiancareality View Post
    m interesting , but nope never heard of him

but you born , live & die .... thats why people should live to the fullest , each day everyday
    That's correct. just one thought, we are just quasi-rational beings, so we base our decisions on many things, so we shouldn't always think too much over free will or not free will

Status
    Jan 2013
    If you're always worried about
    crushing the ants beneath you,
    you won't be
    able to walk.

There are only negative outcomes for choices for those who allow there to be a negative outcome

Say you don't pay your rent and you become homeless..that's a negative outcome because the end of that statement is you being homeless

Free will is what makes half of these bums ask for money on the train everyday

When they can spend 8 dollars on a I'd. Maybe about 15 on birthcertificate..its free for a ss card and then use that to get a job

That is the true essence of free will. No matter what the outcome is you still have a choice to do something different as long as your alive.
    Well put. Hobos is a good example lol, they decided to use their free will to far and now serve their consequence

Banned
    Status
    Sep 2012
    We will never be slaves! But
    we will... be conquerors.

well light my man you got your debate

Status
    Aug 2012
    Attack on Titan. Akame Ga
    kill. Terra formars. Tokyo
    Ghoul Re. Psycho Pass 2=
    Favorite on-going
    mangas/series.

Quote Originally Posted by kobak View Post
    So, if iI hold a gun to your head and give you two options to choose from cutting off your left hand or your right hand, you can decide on your free will from these 2 possibilities?
    You have the free will to choose from the given possibilities, but the point of the threadmaker was that you don't choose many factors that define your decision.

That's correct. just one thought, we are just quasi-rational beings, so we base our decisions on many things, so we shouldn't always think too much over free will or not free will
    yeap , just try to make the best of it

Status
    Feb 2012
    Praise the Sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Okami the butcher View Post
    well light my man you got your debate
    m :y

join in on the fun! :D

Banned
    Status
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by labiancareality View Post
    yeap , just try to make the best of it
    Yup, we can die any moment, by chance. Anyways, the world goes on no matter what an individual does.

Status
    Jan 2013
    If you're always worried about
    crushing the ants beneath you,
    you won't be
    able to walk.

Anyways im tired im off to bed. That was a good debate , hopefully another debate soon , kobak, thelight bringer, and anyone else

Status
    Feb 2012
    Praise the Sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Ganta View Post
    Anyways im tired im off to bed. That was a good debate , hopefully another debate soon , kobak, thelight bringer, and anyone else
    goodnight! and yes it was ^_^

Status
    Feb 2012
    Praise the Sun!

Yup, we can die any moment, by chance. Anyways, the world goes on no matter what an individual does.
    it really makes you think how small we all really are when looking at the bigger picture.

Banned
    Status
    Sep 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    m :y

join in on the fun! :D
    well if you insist

Banned
    Status
    This user has no status.

it really makes you think how small we all really are when looking at the bigger picture.
    Yeah. Anyways, even that doesn't matter what someone - you or me or anybody- thinks of free will...we do stuff no matter what and the world as a whole goes on.

Status
    Feb 2012
    Praise the Sun!

Yeah. Anyways, even that doesn't matter what someone - you or me or anybody- thinks of free will...we do stuff no matter what and the world as a whole goes on.
    yup, well hopefully at least.......our decisions can also destroy.

when you think about it, our choice as a single mind can affect the choices of many minds.....and the combined choice of everyone can also lead to the survival or the destruction of our race and the world.....in essence we as a whole, have the power to control war.

Banned
    Status
    This user has no status.

yup, well hopefully at least.......our decisions can also destroy.

when you think about it, our choice as a single mind can affect the choices of many minds.....and the combined choice of everyone can also lead to the survival or the destruction of our race and the world.....in essence we as a whole, have the power to control war.
    True, but the world is still going on Because most people will still choose the same: engender.

Banned
    Status
    Sep 2012

free will is just an illusion caused by the helpless

Status
    Feb 2012
    Praise the Sun!

True, but the world is still going on Because most people will still choose the same: engender.
    well that depends also on the outside factors as well

If say we were to have world war 3, many people speculate the war would make the world uninhabitable due to radiation and such

did you ever see the movie children of men? It's a sci-fi which shows a society unable to procreate due to some virus that spread throughout the entire race.

but yes, most people would still choose to engender....but that's only if the choice doesn't become limited as well.

Banned
    Status
    This user has no status.

If say we were to have world war 3, many people speculate the war would make the world uninhabitable due to radiation and such

did you ever see the movie children of men? It's a sci-fi which shows a society unable to procreate due to some virus that spread throughout the entire race.

but yes, most people would still choose to engender....but that's only if the choice doesn't become limited as well.
    Even if everybody died except for one person, the world would still go on for that person, and when noone is left, then there will be noone to think about it

Academy Student
    Status
    Jan 2013
    This user has no status.

Children of Men was a representation of societal issues. Not representative of procreation and was written to illustrate the importance of humankind, which the writer believed that the world will be landlocked into believing that humankind itself has taken itself for granted and focused more on inflation, hunger and adultery.

As for free will, it's purely a choice. A decision. Consequences and Benefits which follow this concept are subjected to the individual's perception of what destruction or rewards mean.

Also, your example of the moving rock merely showed that inanimate objects cannot distinguish cognitive thought. Perhaps using animals to illustrate the differences of how humans have the ability to weigh options, consequences and benefits as opposed to that of a dog or parrot would have made a much more understandable example.

Status
    Dec 2011
    This user has no status.

To the first statement its still free will I can decide to let you shoot me at the end of the day its my choice whether the outcome is death or torture.

I can decide to tell you go fu*k yourself and disarm you if I know how.

I can run if I'm fast enough.

Choices can be limited by the persons ability

Just cuz you told me jump or you will shoot my mother doesn't mean I don't have a choice.

My will would have let you shoot because I don't think you would have the balls to pull the trigger. Maybe that would be my downfall but its still my free will 2 choose

Status
    Feb 2012
    Praise the Sun!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTailedBeast View Post
    Children of Men was a representation of societal issues. Not representative of procreation and was written to illustrate the importance of humankind, which the writer believed that the world will be landlocked into believing that humankind itself has taken itself for granted and focused more on inflation, hunger and adultery.

As for free will, it's purely a choice. A decision. Consequences and Benefits which follow this concept are subjected to the individual's perception of what destruction or rewards mean.

Also, your example of the moving rock merely showed that inanimate objects cannot distinguish cognitive thought. Perhaps using animals to illustrate the differences of how humans have the ability to weigh options, consequences and benefits as opposed to that of a dog or parrot would have made a much more understandable example.
    I was using the movie as an example of what may happen in response to kobaks comment.....I never meant that was the purpose of the movie.

but free will suggest we can make a decision solely on our own, yet we make decisions based on the outside factors that fall upon us which lead us into make certain decisions.

....like paying bills to avoid the consequence of debt and bankruptcy.....yet we do not want to pay the bills, but we do because we know that there is a negative outcome that may follow.

we cannot make an original choice and we are limited to certain laws, whether it be man-made or universal....making the term "free" will not applicable to humans....but only "will"

Banned
    Status
    This user has no status.

To the first statement its still free will I can decide to let you shoot me at the end of the day its my choice whether the outcome is death or torture.

I can decide to tell you go fu*k yourself and disarm you if I know how.

I can run if I'm fast enough.

Choices can be limited by the persons ability

Just cuz you told me jump or you will shoot my mother doesn't mean I don't have a choice.

My will would have let you shoot because I don't think you would have the balls to pull the trigger. Maybe that would be my downfall but its still my free will 2 choose
    Again:"You have the free will to choose from the given possibilities, but the point of the threadmaker was that you don't choose many factors that define your decision."