Page 4 of 9 « First 12345678 ... Last»
Results 61 to 80 of 171
  1. #61
    Banned
    Status
    ~Kobak~ is offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    43,015
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Truemadara View Post
    There are only negative outcomes for choices for those who allow there to be a negative outcome

    Say you don't pay your rent and you become homeless..that's a negative outcome because the end of that statement is you being homeless

    Free will is what makes half of these bums ask for money on the train everyday

    When they can spend 8 dollars on a I'd. Maybe about 15 on birthcertificate..its free for a ss card and then use that to get a job

    That is the true essence of free will. No matter what the outcome is you still have a choice to do something different as long as your alive.

    So, if iI hold a gun to your head and give you two options to choose from cutting off your left hand or your right hand, you can decide on your free will from these 2 possibilities?
    You have the free will to choose from the given possibilities, but the point of the threadmaker was that you don't choose many factors that define your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by labiancareality View Post
    m interesting , but nope never heard of him

    but you born , live & die .... thats why people should live to the fullest , each day everyday
    That's correct. just one thought, we are just quasi-rational beings, so we base our decisions on many things, so we shouldn't always think too much over free will or not free will
     
         

  2. #62
    Guts Ganta's Avatar
    Status
    Ganta is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    953
    If you're always worried about
    crushing the ants beneath you,
    you won't be
    able to walk.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Truemadara View Post
    There are only negative outcomes for choices for those who allow there to be a negative outcome

    Say you don't pay your rent and you become homeless..that's a negative outcome because the end of that statement is you being homeless

    Free will is what makes half of these bums ask for money on the train everyday

    When they can spend 8 dollars on a I'd. Maybe about 15 on birthcertificate..its free for a ss card and then use that to get a job

    That is the true essence of free will. No matter what the outcome is you still have a choice to do something different as long as your alive.
    Well put. Hobos is a good example lol, they decided to use their free will to far and now serve their consequence
     
         

  3. #63
    Banned
    Status
    Ōkami is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16,798
    Location
    Draenor
    We will never be slaves! But
    we will... be conquerors.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    well light my man you got your debate
     
         

  4. #64
    Mikasa es mi casa . -Punk-'s Avatar
    Status
    -Punk- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    29,361
    Location
    With Mikasa.Esdeath.MichelleK.
    Attack on Titan. Akame Ga
    kill. Terra formars. Tokyo
    Ghoul Re. Psycho Pass 2=
    Favorite on-going
    mangas/series.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by kobak View Post
    So, if iI hold a gun to your head and give you two options to choose from cutting off your left hand or your right hand, you can decide on your free will from these 2 possibilities?
    You have the free will to choose from the given possibilities, but the point of the threadmaker was that you don't choose many factors that define your decision.


    That's correct. just one thought, we are just quasi-rational beings, so we base our decisions on many things, so we shouldn't always think too much over free will or not free will
    yeap , just try to make the best of it
     
         

  5. #65
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,843
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Okami the butcher View Post
    well light my man you got your debate
    m :y

    join in on the fun! :D
     
         

  6. #66
    Banned
    Status
    ~Kobak~ is offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    43,015
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by labiancareality View Post
    yeap , just try to make the best of it
    Yup, we can die any moment, by chance. Anyways, the world goes on no matter what an individual does.
     
         

  7. #67
    Guts Ganta's Avatar
    Status
    Ganta is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    953
    If you're always worried about
    crushing the ants beneath you,
    you won't be
    able to walk.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Anyways im tired im off to bed. That was a good debate , hopefully another debate soon , kobak, thelight bringer, and anyone else
     
         

  8. #68
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,843
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganta View Post
    Anyways im tired im off to bed. That was a good debate , hopefully another debate soon , kobak, thelight bringer, and anyone else
    goodnight! and yes it was ^_^
     
         

  9. #69
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,843
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by kobak View Post
    Yup, we can die any moment, by chance. Anyways, the world goes on no matter what an individual does.
    it really makes you think how small we all really are when looking at the bigger picture.
     
         

  10. #70
    Banned
    Status
    Ōkami is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16,798
    Location
    Draenor
    We will never be slaves! But
    we will... be conquerors.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    m :y

    join in on the fun! :D
    well if you insist
     
         

  11. #71
    Banned
    Status
    ~Kobak~ is offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    43,015
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    it really makes you think how small we all really are when looking at the bigger picture.
    Yeah. Anyways, even that doesn't matter what someone - you or me or anybody- thinks of free will...we do stuff no matter what and the world as a whole goes on.
     
         

  12. #72
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,843
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by kobak View Post
    Yeah. Anyways, even that doesn't matter what someone - you or me or anybody- thinks of free will...we do stuff no matter what and the world as a whole goes on.
    yup, well hopefully at least.......our decisions can also destroy.

    when you think about it, our choice as a single mind can affect the choices of many minds.....and the combined choice of everyone can also lead to the survival or the destruction of our race and the world.....in essence we as a whole, have the power to control war.
     
         

  13. #73
    Banned
    Status
    ~Kobak~ is offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    43,015
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    yup, well hopefully at least.......our decisions can also destroy.

    when you think about it, our choice as a single mind can affect the choices of many minds.....and the combined choice of everyone can also lead to the survival or the destruction of our race and the world.....in essence we as a whole, have the power to control war.
    True, but the world is still going on Because most people will still choose the same: engender.
     
         

  14. #74
    Banned
    Status
    Ōkami is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16,798
    Location
    Draenor
    We will never be slaves! But
    we will... be conquerors.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    free will is just an illusion caused by the helpless
     
         

  15. #75
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,843
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by kobak View Post
    True, but the world is still going on Because most people will still choose the same: engender.
    well that depends also on the outside factors as well

    If say we were to have world war 3, many people speculate the war would make the world uninhabitable due to radiation and such

    did you ever see the movie children of men? It's a sci-fi which shows a society unable to procreate due to some virus that spread throughout the entire race.

    but yes, most people would still choose to engender....but that's only if the choice doesn't become limited as well.
     
         

  16. #76
    Banned
    Status
    ~Kobak~ is offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    43,015
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    well that depends also on the outside factors as well

    If say we were to have world war 3, many people speculate the war would make the world uninhabitable due to radiation and such

    did you ever see the movie children of men? It's a sci-fi which shows a society unable to procreate due to some virus that spread throughout the entire race.

    but yes, most people would still choose to engender....but that's only if the choice doesn't become limited as well.
    Even if everybody died except for one person, the world would still go on for that person, and when noone is left, then there will be noone to think about it
     
         

  17. #77
    Academy Student
    Status
    BrownTailedBeast is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    well that depends also on the outside factors as well

    If say we were to have world war 3, many people speculate the war would make the world uninhabitable due to radiation and such

    did you ever see the movie children of men? It's a sci-fi which shows a society unable to procreate due to some virus that spread throughout the entire race.

    but yes, most people would still choose to engender....but that's only if the choice doesn't become limited as well.
    Children of Men was a representation of societal issues. Not representative of procreation and was written to illustrate the importance of humankind, which the writer believed that the world will be landlocked into believing that humankind itself has taken itself for granted and focused more on inflation, hunger and adultery.

    As for free will, it's purely a choice. A decision. Consequences and Benefits which follow this concept are subjected to the individual's perception of what destruction or rewards mean.

    Also, your example of the moving rock merely showed that inanimate objects cannot distinguish cognitive thought. Perhaps using animals to illustrate the differences of how humans have the ability to weigh options, consequences and benefits as opposed to that of a dog or parrot would have made a much more understandable example.
     
         

  18. #78
    Northside Goon Truemadara's Avatar
    Status
    Truemadara is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    500
    Location
    Northside
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by kobak View Post
    So, if iI hold a gun to your head and give you two options to choose from cutting off your left hand or your right hand, you can decide on your free will from these 2 possibilities?
    You have the free will to choose from the given possibilities, but the point of the threadmaker was that you don't choose many factors that define your decision.


    That's correct. just one thought, we are just quasi-rational beings, so we base our decisions on many things, so we shouldn't always think too much over free will or not free will
    To the first statement its still free will I can decide to let you shoot me at the end of the day its my choice whether the outcome is death or torture.

    I can decide to tell you go fu*k yourself and disarm you if I know how.

    I can run if I'm fast enough.

    Choices can be limited by the persons ability

    Just cuz you told me jump or you will shoot my mother doesn't mean I don't have a choice.

    My will would have let you shoot because I don't think you would have the balls to pull the trigger. Maybe that would be my downfall but its still my free will 2 choose
     
         

  19. #79
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,843
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTailedBeast View Post
    Children of Men was a representation of societal issues. Not representative of procreation and was written to illustrate the importance of humankind, which the writer believed that the world will be landlocked into believing that humankind itself has taken itself for granted and focused more on inflation, hunger and adultery.

    As for free will, it's purely a choice. A decision. Consequences and Benefits which follow this concept are subjected to the individual's perception of what destruction or rewards mean.

    Also, your example of the moving rock merely showed that inanimate objects cannot distinguish cognitive thought. Perhaps using animals to illustrate the differences of how humans have the ability to weigh options, consequences and benefits as opposed to that of a dog or parrot would have made a much more understandable example.
    I was using the movie as an example of what may happen in response to kobaks comment.....I never meant that was the purpose of the movie.

    but free will suggest we can make a decision solely on our own, yet we make decisions based on the outside factors that fall upon us which lead us into make certain decisions.

    ....like paying bills to avoid the consequence of debt and bankruptcy.....yet we do not want to pay the bills, but we do because we know that there is a negative outcome that may follow.

    we cannot make an original choice and we are limited to certain laws, whether it be man-made or universal....making the term "free" will not applicable to humans....but only "will"
     
         

  20. #80
    Banned
    Status
    ~Kobak~ is offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    43,015
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Truemadara View Post
    To the first statement its still free will I can decide to let you shoot me at the end of the day its my choice whether the outcome is death or torture.

    I can decide to tell you go fu*k yourself and disarm you if I know how.

    I can run if I'm fast enough.

    Choices can be limited by the persons ability

    Just cuz you told me jump or you will shoot my mother doesn't mean I don't have a choice.

    My will would have let you shoot because I don't think you would have the balls to pull the trigger. Maybe that would be my downfall but its still my free will 2 choose
    Again:"You have the free will to choose from the given possibilities, but the point of the threadmaker was that you don't choose many factors that define your decision."
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •