Page 5 of 7 « First 1234567 Last»
Results 101 to 125 of 171
  1. #101
    Academy Student
    Status
    HiryuuSetsuka is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the end restroom stall with Hinata teaching her the finer points of Chakra Control. :P
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    And LightBringer, I too ponder the same thing from the same perspective.. What was the "First" force..? I reckon it must've been "Time" but then you're thinking with play-doe logic once you aim to think faster than time lol.
     
         

  2. #102
    Member DESTRUCTO's Avatar
    Status
    DESTRUCTO is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    722
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    The ability to move beyond instinct. To make choices that can sometimes go against our better judgment. we are free to do as please, and yes there are consequences for some actions. We choose to follow our instinct for survival most of the time, only existing, but certain moments call for us to make a choice, to consider others and other possibilities. To think beyond ourselves and to think of others, that is our free will.

    Now our will is a different story. The human will is a powerful thing. Once our mind is put to something, focused on a goal. Through our will power, any goal can be achieved.
     
         

  3. #103
    Academy Student
    Status
    HiryuuSetsuka is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the end restroom stall with Hinata teaching her the finer points of Chakra Control. :P
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    "To think beyond oneself"..
    Um..
    I'm not sure that's possible.. See, that's the illusion at work, how can one think beyond themselves..? You can only think within yourself with the illusion of otherwise..
     
         

  4. #104
    Atarashi Yoake TheSyren's Avatar
    Status
    TheSyren is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In her arms. Jealous?
    Posts
    2,544
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then a chill swept through the
    mammoth crowd and the demons
    squealed with glee, as a
    sordid, vulgar, repulsive
    essence was felt. Arrogantly
    prancing, hands held high,
    draped in a sparkling shroud
    Trolled by demons, Syren
    ascended from Hell.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    You know, I posted something similar to this. I said that we are all slaves. It's unfortunate that the original poster doesn't believe in his post
     
         

  5. #105
    Academy Student
    Status
    HiryuuSetsuka is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the end restroom stall with Hinata teaching her the finer points of Chakra Control. :P
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    ^In my opinion. My apologies, without that footnote I can imagine I sound pretentious.. >.<
     
         

  6. #106
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Posts
    9,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTO View Post
    The ability to move beyond instinct. To make choices that can sometimes go against our better judgment. we are free to do as please, and yes there are consequences for some actions. We choose to follow our instinct for survival most of the time, only existing, but certain moments call for us to make a choice, to consider others and other possibilities. To think beyond ourselves and to think of others, that is our free will.

    Now our will is a different story. The human will is a powerful thing. Once our mind is put to something, focused on a goal. Through our will power, any goal can be achieved.
    Well not any goal, and the mindset doesn't control reality. If you are starving in the desert, you can't will yourself to find food; you can't will yourself to not die.

    Just because we will ourselves to become rich, doesn't mean we will(yes the chances of becoming rich would sure increase, but it is not a guarantee)

    Same goes with choice, we can't will ourselves to not make certain choices. For example: If you find someone or something(like music) attractive, you cannot will yourself to not be attracted to it.

    It is only until the other driving forces of these are realized(like personality) affects our judgement.
     
         

  7. #107
    Academy Student
    Status
    HiryuuSetsuka is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the end restroom stall with Hinata teaching her the finer points of Chakra Control. :P
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    I wouldn't say "Slaves" per say, but in a way, yes.. I imagine that because we have the concept of "Freedom" we must first imagine a box.. A limit. Then imagine a state outside of it. We measure by comparison, it seems.
     
         

  8. #108
    Member dareak's Avatar
    Status
    dareak is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    801
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by dareak View Post
    I don't really think we can ever know if free will exists. Look at it this way.

    If "fate" or "destiny" exist for some reason, they are outside forces. If fate or destiny exist it means that our choices are predetermined. Most would say "well I can decide whether or not I will shoot a gun at a child". If fate or destiny exist then every single thought that you made during your decision-making process was predetermined.

    That is why I believe we cannot confirm free will. I do not personally believe in fate or destiny simply because they are outside forces, while free will would be the natural state or base. Then again it could be argued that fate or destiny are the natural state and are not outside forces. At that point I would say that neither can be confirmed and there is no "atheistic"-type viewpoint here, you have to choose(lolz) to believe either fate or free will.
    Bumpity Bump
     
         

  9. #109
    Atarashi Yoake TheSyren's Avatar
    Status
    TheSyren is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    In her arms. Jealous?
    Posts
    2,544
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then a chill swept through the
    mammoth crowd and the demons
    squealed with glee, as a
    sordid, vulgar, repulsive
    essence was felt. Arrogantly
    prancing, hands held high,
    draped in a sparkling shroud
    Trolled by demons, Syren
    ascended from Hell.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by HiryuuSetsuka View Post
    I wouldn't say "Slaves" per say, but in a way, yes.. I imagine that because we have the concept of "Freedom" we must first imagine a box.. A limit. Then imagine a state outside of it. We measure by comparison, it seems.
    How could you measure anything without a point of refference?
     
         

  10. #110
    Academy Student
    Status
    HiryuuSetsuka is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the end restroom stall with Hinata teaching her the finer points of Chakra Control. :P
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Aye, so "Reality" is our Prison, so to speak..?
     
         

  11. #111
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Posts
    9,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by HiryuuSetsuka View Post
    Aye, so "Reality" is our Prison, so to speak..?
    pretty much
     
         

  12. #112
    Member DESTRUCTO's Avatar
    Status
    DESTRUCTO is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    722
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    Well not any goal, and the mindset doesn't control reality. If you are starving in the desert, you can't will yourself to find food; you can't will yourself to not die.

    Just because we will ourselves to become rich, doesn't mean we will(yes the chances of becoming rich would sure increase, but it is not a guarantee)

    Same goes with choice, we can't will ourselves to not make certain choices. For example: If you find someone or something(like music) attractive, you cannot will yourself to not be attracted to it.

    It is only until the other driving forces of these are realized(like personality) affects our judgement.
    So how about the guy that cuts his own leg off, that is trapped, and hobbles through the woods for three days to civilization? Did he not will himself to live? Eventually most people give up, lose their will, become broken, and that is when death sets in. The capability of our will is astounding. We can impose it on others through force or charisma to achieve goals that are too great for one person. Through our will we practice, train, build ourselves to become better. No, you can't, through sheer will, fly on your own. I agree that is impossible. However, through your will power you can discipline yourself to go to hang gliding classes until you're certified to fly on your own, with a hang gliders help of course.

    Reality is in the eye of the beholder. Perception is the majority of what reality is. anyone who has taken large doses of mushrooms or LSD know exactly what I'm talking about. It is a crazy moment to look down a hallway, that you have looked down for ten years, and see it completely different.

    You can see yourself as a slave to your boss, a slave to the system, a slave to your instincts and inner impulses, or you can see yourself as a completely free being with the world at their finger tips... I'm gonna warn you though, it's going to take a lot of hard work.
     
         

  13. #113
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Posts
    9,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTO View Post
    So how about the guy that cuts his own leg off, that is trapped, and hobbles through the woods for three days to civilization? Did he not will himself to live? Eventually most people give up, lose their will, become broken, and that is when death sets in. The capability of our will is astounding. We can impose it on others through force or charisma to achieve goals that are too great for one person. Through our will we practice, train, build ourselves to become better. No, you can't, through sheer will, fly on your own. I agree that is impossible. However, through your will power you can discipline yourself to go to hang gliding classes until you're certified to fly on your own, with a hang gliders help of course.

    Reality is in the eye of the beholder. Perception is the majority of what reality is. anyone who has taken large doses of mushrooms or LSD know exactly what I'm talking about. It is a crazy moment to look down a hallway, that you have looked down for ten years, and see it completely different.

    You can see yourself as a slave to your boss, a slave to the system, a slave to your instincts and inner impulses, or you can see yourself as a completely free being with the world at their finger tips... I'm gonna warn you though, it's going to take a lot of hard work.
    well 3 days isn't enough to starve to death, and I think that is the max amount of days one can live without water as well.

    But my point is, will is limited. Yes, some people have stronger wills, and willpower is a strong force in our life. But it cannot break boundaries, it cannot do everything always.

    That man surviving for 3 days, crawling to civilization could have had knowledge on how to survive, how to properly cut the leg, how to bandage his wound to stop the bleeding, how maybe find the right herbs to eat, set up campfire and shelter, etc.

    If you don't have that knowledge, then you're dead, regardless of will.....hence the knowledge is an outside and uncertain factor, because everyone has different knowledge.
     
         

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Status
    ThomasJeffersonwasasadist is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Horny and sadistic with a dash
    of racism
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    just because you are influenced to do something doesn't mean choice ie free will is just an idea. for example I can say go kill yourself which is influencing you to commit suicide but you can choose not to. I appreciate you taking time to make a thread but your poin.t is invalid .
     
         

  15. #115
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Posts
    9,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJeffersonwasasadist View Post
    just because you are influenced to do something doesn't mean choice ie free will is just an idea. for example I can say go kill yourself which is influencing you to commit suicide but you can choose not to. I appreciate you taking time to make a thread but your poin.t is invalid .
    yet you simply just telling me to go kill myself has no influence. If there is no reason to kill myself, then the choice has been already made.....I didn't ponder on your words to make a choice; I instinctively acted to not kill myself.

    and acting on instincts doesn't define free will to choose, because you're not the one choosing...the instincts are.
     
         

  16. #116
    Member DESTRUCTO's Avatar
    Status
    DESTRUCTO is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    722
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    well 3 days isn't enough to starve to death, and I think that is the max amount of days one can live without water as well.

    But my point is, will is limited. Yes, some people have stronger wills, and willpower is a strong force in our life. But it cannot break boundaries, it cannot do everything always.

    That man surviving for 3 days, crawling to civilization could have had knowledge on how to survive, how to properly cut the leg, how to bandage his wound to stop the bleeding, how maybe find the right herbs to eat, set up campfire and shelter, etc.

    If you don't have that knowledge, then you're dead, regardless of will.....hence the knowledge is an outside and uncertain factor, because everyone has different knowledge.
    You need to start believing in yourself more and believing in others. How about this example. The holocaust survivors. Have you ever seen the pictures of them? So emaciated, that they are pretty much walking skeletons. It was through their will that they survived such a horrific event.

    It was through human will that a railroad was built from coast to coast. It was through will that the pyramids were built. Yes knowledge is an important factor, but it is through our will that we gain that knowledge, that know how. With out the desire to learn how to do something, it will never be done. We aren't forced to strive for better things, we aren't forced to improve our lot in life. You have to want it. You have to move beyond your instinct to be comfortable to gain something great. It is our instinct to do as little as possible, to make ourselves comfortable. We get pleasure from it.
     
         

  17. #117
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Posts
    9,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTO View Post
    You need to start believing in yourself more and believing in others. How about this example. The holocaust survivors. Have you ever seen the pictures of them? So emaciated, that they are pretty much walking skeletons. It was through their will that they survived such a horrific event.

    It was through human will that a railroad was built from coast to coast. It was through will that the pyramids were built. Yes knowledge is an important factor, but it is through our will that we gain that knowledge, that know how. With out the desire to learn how to do something, it will never be done. We aren't forced to strive for better things, we aren't forced to improve our lot in life. You have to want it. You have to move beyond your instinct to be comfortable to gain something great. It is our instinct to do as little as possible, to make ourselves comfortable. We get pleasure from it.
    I'm going to make this short since I'm pretty tired and will be my last comment for the day on this thread

    about the holocaust example. My grandparents were survivors, what drove them was fear.....the fear of dying, the fear of being captured and tortured. Fear is an outside force that generates willpower....so does anger, and so does love. You can't generate willpower without an outside force.

    This outside force is what gives you the will to live....it still isn't a pure original decision.
     
         

  18. #118
    Member DESTRUCTO's Avatar
    Status
    DESTRUCTO is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    722
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Then I will end with this. This year I lost 50 lbs. and increased my strength by leaps and bounds. How? Through my own will, my desire to better myself, my decision to longer be a lazy turd and start doing something. Nothing else.
     
         

  19. #119
    Eternal Dawn Lightbringer's Avatar
    Status
    Lightbringer is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Anor Londo
    Posts
    9,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Praise the Sun!
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by DESTRUCTO View Post
    Then I will end with this. This year I lost 50 lbs. and increased my strength by leaps and bounds. How? Through my own will, my desire to better myself, my decision to longer be a lazy turd and start doing something. Nothing else.
    alright last one for real this time lol

    But you still made the decision to lose weight because you wanted to look better, am I right?

    You wanted to look better because society is what deems beauty(being thin, muscular, etc.) and yes beauty is different in many forms(you may have your own personal tastes), but that is still considered to be the primary qualities of beauty on the outside

    You wanted to be attractive

    You didn't want to be lazy because you want to go achieve something and compare yourself to others, not in a negative narcissistic way, but to be defined as accomplished rather than be known as a bum

    Our society is what defines these terms

    These terms influence your wants, and the wants influence your decisions.
     
         

  20. #120
    Goldmember Unbiased King's Avatar
    Status
    Unbiased King is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Between your toes
    Posts
    769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do the ends always justify the
    means?
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Are we free? Absolutely not, as we are tied to the things that make us human and that which life would be impossible without, as specified in the OP.

    Do we have free will? Certainly, as our will is free, no matter what; one cannot overlook the fact that all action is indeed choice. But free will is only existent where choice is, no matter how biased or compelling it is.
     
         

  21. #121
    Senior Member |KirA|'s Avatar
    Status
    |KirA| is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    bundyland
    Posts
    1,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    My Will wanted to read the new Naruto.
    It didnt exist.
    I saw your thread.
    I like such discussions, but i have a bad feeling.
    My Will says, it is impossible to talk about such topics with people here.
    So I agree, Free Will doesnt exist, but u shouldnt post here, if u want serious discussions.

    EDIT: If u want, we both can discuss via skype or similiar.
     
         

  22. #122
    Member DESTRUCTO's Avatar
    Status
    DESTRUCTO is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    722
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    alright last one for real this time lol

    But you still made the decision to lose weight because you wanted to look better, am I right?

    You wanted to look better because society is what deems beauty(being thin, muscular, etc.) and yes beauty is different in many forms(you may have your own personal tastes), but that is still considered to be the primary qualities of beauty on the outside

    You wanted to be attractive

    You didn't want to be lazy because you want to go achieve something and compare yourself to others, not in a negative narcissistic way, but to be defined as accomplished rather than be known as a bum

    Our society is what defines these terms

    These terms influence your wants, and the wants influence your decisions.
    The key phrase is I wanted... Without my desire for such a thing, it wouldn't have happened. That is free will, to get off my lazy ass and do something. No matter the influence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased King View Post
    Are we free? Absolutely not, as we are tied to the things that make us human and that which life would be impossible without, as specified in the OP.

    Do we have free will? Certainly, as our will is free, no matter what; one cannot overlook the fact that all action is indeed choice. But free will is only existent where choice is, no matter how biased or compelling it is.
    How compellingly contradicting, yet true.
     
         

  23. #123
    Senior Member
    Status
    drknght is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    but when you see the hundred dollar bill....the first thought to pop into your mind is to pick it up and not the opposite. If there was a hundred dollar bill lying on the ground with no else around.....then it's almost certain that everyone would choose to pick it up.

    The choice has been made for you. The hundred dollar bill that is laying there is what's forcing you to choose in the first place....and you only have 2 choices, to pick it up or leave it alone, thus you have no free will in not choosing anything.

    And you pick it up because the hundred dollar bill has a positive outcome to it, it is a reward, and humans are inclined to choose to their benefits due to their nature. So this is the outside factor which pulls you into picking up the hundred dollar bill, it influences you and your choice....making the choice not of free will

    free will means original choice without any other outside factors edging you to make it.
    Now you are just fooling around. I either pick it up or don't. What the **** else can I do. I would pick it up and wipe myself with it. Seriously, this is the last time I fell for this kind of trap.
     
         

  24. #124
    ♚The Sasuke Whisperer♚ LolChidori's Avatar
    Status
    LolChidori is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Your house in just a sec
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    VolatileSoul is the man
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    I think every one has free will. You have the freedom to act on your own choices. A person can have the free will to stop you, however, you have the obligation to go through with it. It's only a matter of whether you're willing to deal with the consequences or not. Even in a grand society when they prohibit you from doing certain things by law; you are still capable of defying the law. People are forbidden to do things but they still do it-And they face the aftermath. That is all. We are individuals, like it or not. Doesn't matter if you're in ties with the corporation of this world and running on the way they run things. However, there are boundaries of course... Suggests the universal life. You do not have the free will to randomly grow wings and take off at your own leisure.
     
         
    Last edited by LolChidori; 01-05-2013 at 02:52 AM.

  25. #125
    Member ProdigyXItachi's Avatar
    Status
    ProdigyXItachi is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Infinite Tsukuyomi
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps your Reality is but an
    Illusion . . . You're
    already trapped in my Infinite
    Tsukuyomi!!! Have fun :)
     

    Re: Free will is only an idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased King View Post
    Are we free? Absolutely not, as we are tied to the things that make us human and that which life would be impossible without, as specified in the OP.

    Do we have free will? Certainly, as our will is free, no matter what; one cannot overlook the fact that all action is indeed choice. But free will is only existent where choice is, no matter how biased or compelling it is.
    Expertly said my friend!! I agree that there is the ability to think and make choices which effect ourselves and those around us. . . I believe that the problem Lightbringer is having is over the definition of "freewill." From an absolute fundamentalist viewpoint maybe there is nothing "free" about the choices we make (because everything we do is ultimately "forced" or determined by our set and setting, both of which are oft outside our limits of control). So . . . another words where do we draw the line???
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •