View Poll Results: Is suicide selfish?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    152 73.79%
  • No

    54 26.21%
Page 3 of 9 « First 1234567 ... Last»
Results 51 to 75 of 216
  1. #51
    Typhon's Avatar
    Status
    Typhon is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Konohagakure
    Posts
    15,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    We Do Not Sow
     



    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    No, it isn't a selfish act. Some of you are saying its selfish because the suicide causes loved ones to suffer. By that same argument, forcing a person who is deeply depressed to continue living in pain because others don't want to be hurt is selfish of those other people.

    I had a friend who took their own life, and not once have I heard anyone refer to them as selfish. In fact the person was one of the nicest and most selfless people you would have ever met. He was just suffering and was unable to overcome his issues (mental illness) through therapy or medication. It was an incredibly sad event and I wish he hadn't done it, but at the same time there's no way I could imagine how he felt at the time.

    Its easy to stand there and call these people cowards and say they're taking the easy way out, but in truth you have no clue what they're feeling at that moment and have no right to belittle them.
     
         

  2. #52
    Mikasa es mi casa . Ackerman-'s Avatar
    Status
    Ackerman- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    with Mikasa/Esdese/Konan/Rui/Kanon.
    Posts
    27,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attack on Titan/Akame Ga
    kill/Code
    Breaker/Coppelion/Deadman
    Wonderland = Favorite mangas.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    @ DERP dont compare the ninja life with a normal life ...... there's nothing honorable about taking your life , this is not fictional , this is life ! .......cause this shit here is REAL !
     
         

  3. #53
    Senior Member rollin's Avatar
    Status
    rollin is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,582
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    not only is it selfish it's pathetic and pitiful
     
         

  4. #54
    Senior Member Altaneen's Avatar
    Status
    Altaneen is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting for A Realm Reborn
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    I think that saying suicide is bad or good is not a decision for us to make.
     
         

  5. #55
    Insomnia is a bitch... Two's Avatar
    Status
    Two is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In-between 1 and 3
    Posts
    3,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Trickster View Post
    Then that's even more retarded.
    it's pretty stupid but thats what they were brainwashed with :/
     
         

  6. #56
    Banned
    Status
    Valen is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    4,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    No, it isn't a selfish act. Some of you are saying its selfish because the suicide causes loved ones to suffer. By that same argument, forcing a person who is deeply depressed to continue living in pain because others don't want to be hurt is selfish of those other people.

    I had a friend who took their own life, and not once have I heard anyone refer to them as selfish. In fact the person was one of the nicest and most selfless people you would have ever met. He was just suffering and was unable to overcome his issues (mental illness) through therapy or medication. It was an incredibly sad event and I wish he hadn't done it, but at the same time there's no way I could imagine how he felt at the time.

    Its easy to stand there and call these people cowards and say they're taking the easy way out, but in truth you have no clue what they're feeling at that moment and have no right to belittle them.
    Beautiful Post
     
         

  7. #57
    Supreme Sifu of the Fists Strata Uchiha's Avatar
    Status
    Strata Uchiha is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Learning Hado and Kido Spells under Blinkie Uchiha in Karakura Town.
    Posts
    6,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be on the "Navy
    tub" for 9 long months. I
    shall return.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Let me pose the query.

    Which of you denizens of NB have gone through a really tough tribulation or trial yet? Did you think about committing suicide when you were in dire straights, or did you have a firm grip on life?

    To answer my own question: Yes I've been through really dire straights, but I chose life over afterlife. I did think about suicide though.
     
         

  8. #58
    Chaotic Neutral Sir Derp Obito's Avatar
    Status
    Sir Derp Obito is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    22,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has derp status
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Trickster View Post
    What kind of a retarded question is that? Honor is a subjective concept, as proved by your first comment. Christians don't see it as honorable, while ancient Japan did. Who's to say what's honorable and what's not? Why even care? I don't live my life according to what other people see as "honorable". I couldn't give a shit less about honor. I live the way I want to; that's all there is to it.
    So you are basing it on personal beliefs and not on absolute morality, then who are you to say that those who commit suicide are less moral than those who don't? and how can you define it as selfishness if you are subscribing to moral relativism?

    it's pretty stupid but thats what they were brainwashed with :/
    The same way can be said to people who subscribe to religious dogma or philosophical axioms. So who are you to judge those who are brainwashed or not? what is your measure then of what is right and what is not?
     
         
    Last edited by Sir Derp Obito; 01-12-2013 at 11:31 PM.

  9. #59
    Member
    Status
    Ester is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big Bad Wolf
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    From POV, I don't find it a selfish act, since
    If someone were to commit suicide, what are the causes of it? Hatred, weakness, pain...? Well it doesn't matter much, since whatever the case may be, there will be someone you can count on, but it there is no one to count on, no one to be your rock, then who is going to miss you? The selfish people of society whom exploit others? No. No one will miss you, since there is no one you can count on, then who is there to miss you? And if there is someone you can count on, then what is the purpose of suicide, as there is someone that can help you out.
     
         
    Last edited by Ester; 01-12-2013 at 11:49 PM.

  10. #60
    Member PhazoN's Avatar
    Status
    PhazoN is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    No, it isn't a selfish act. Some of you are saying its selfish because the suicide causes loved ones to suffer. By that same argument, forcing a person who is deeply depressed to continue living in pain because others don't want to be hurt is selfish of those other people.

    I had a friend who took their own life, and not once have I heard anyone refer to them as selfish. In fact the person was one of the nicest and most selfless people you would have ever met. He was just suffering and was unable to overcome his issues (mental illness) through therapy or medication. It was an incredibly sad event and I wish he hadn't done it, but at the same time there's no way I could imagine how he felt at the time.

    Its easy to stand there and call these people cowards and say they're taking the easy way out, but in truth you have no clue what they're feeling at that moment and have no right to belittle them.
    You didn't explain why...
     
         

  11. #61
    Chaotic Neutral Sir Derp Obito's Avatar
    Status
    Sir Derp Obito is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    22,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has derp status
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Trickster View Post
    A) There's no such thing as "absolute" morality. Morality is, much like the concept of honor, subjective.
    B) I never said they were less moral. I said they were selfish. I consider selfishness a part of human nature, by the way.
    C) That last part of your sentence doesn't even make any fucking sense. How would any kind of relativism prevent me from defining anything as selfish? Like you said, I use my personal belief system to define what is what. As long as I give an explanation on why I think the way I do (which I did in my first post of this thread) then I don't see the issue here :/
    Then you are merely basing it on personal opinion and nothing more since you hold no absolute ground for your beliefs, your argument is based not on logic or philosophical reasoning but from personal, subjective and emotive sentiments. You're "explanation" is without substance or merit.
     
         
    Last edited by Sir Derp Obito; 01-12-2013 at 11:40 PM.

  12. #62
    Chaotic Neutral Sir Derp Obito's Avatar
    Status
    Sir Derp Obito is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    22,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has derp status
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Trickster View Post
    Well no shit, the question itself asks for a personal opinion in the first place - that doesn't mean I didn't use logic in my answer to support it. You can try to act high and mighty with me, but everyone here can see through your pseudo-philosophical bullshit
    Opinions based solely on personal sentiments and not from logic and reason are worthless and impudent. And no you did not use logic in your argument, you merely gave an opinion on the matter and nothing more. If you cannot hold absolute moral or philosophical grounds on your statements or propositions then there is no bedrock to arbitrate disagreement.
     
         

  13. #63
    Zero Kelvin's Avatar
    Status
    Zero Kelvin is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tenkaichi, Ancrath Archipelago.
    Posts
    15,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let My Own Lack of a Voice Be
    Heard!
     



    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Derp Obito View Post
    Opinions based solely on personal sentiments and not from logic and reason are worthless and impudent. And no you did not use logic in your argument, you merely gave an opinion on the matter and nothing more. If you cannot hold absolute moral or philosophical grounds then there is no bedrock to arbitrate disagreement.
    Says the guy who groundlessly stated, as if fact, that there is any such thing as 'absolute morality'.
     
         

  14. #64
    Chaotic Neutral Sir Derp Obito's Avatar
    Status
    Sir Derp Obito is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    22,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has derp status
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Kelvin View Post
    Says the guy who groundlessly stated, as if fact, that there is any such thing as 'absolute morality'.
    Care to explain why there is no absolute morality? I can go through a very long philosophical discussion if you want how can we arbitrate disagreements then if you yourself do not have absolutes? what then is the foundation of your belief?
     
         
    Last edited by Sir Derp Obito; 01-12-2013 at 11:51 PM.

  15. #65
    Member
    Status
    shinobu sensui is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    374
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    only if you have children. you shouldn't have to be in this world if you don't want to. but you owe it to your children to be in their lives and take care of them
     
         

  16. #66
    Chaotic Neutral Sir Derp Obito's Avatar
    Status
    Sir Derp Obito is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    22,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has derp status
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Trickster View Post
    You are fucking retarded, aren't you? Are you seriously claiming that opinions, based on personal beliefs, yet supported by logical reasoning, are invalid, solely because of the fact they are not absolute? The fuck is the point of this thread, then? What's the point of discussing anything at all?

    Drop the thesaurus man, because even using a more extensive vocabulary isn't enough to mask your stupidity right now.
    what part of logical coherent reasoning did you display by saying suicide is selfish, you merely gave an opinion and nothing more without the least effort of expounding your position.
     
         

  17. #67
    Zero Kelvin's Avatar
    Status
    Zero Kelvin is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tenkaichi, Ancrath Archipelago.
    Posts
    15,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let My Own Lack of a Voice Be
    Heard!
     



    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Derp Obito View Post
    Care to explain why there is no absolute morality? I can go through a very long philosophical discussion if you want how can we arbitrate disagreements then if you yourself do not have absolutes? what then is the foundation of your belief?
    Argumentum ad ignorantiam. You issue a claim, now you must back it up. Not the other way around.
     
         

  18. #68
    Chaotic Neutral Sir Derp Obito's Avatar
    Status
    Sir Derp Obito is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    22,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has derp status
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Trickster View Post
    :sy:



    I define it as selfish for reasons mentioned above.

    Explain to me how this is not logical or coherent, and I'll stop thinking of you as a complete imbecile (unlikely to happen, but hey, you have a shot).
    Why? why must personal relations deter you from the autonomous act of killing yourself? what then is the basis of incorporating the being of the "other" from the being of the "self"? these are existential questions, if you cannot expound upon these propositions then you are merely saying opinions on emotive psychological pumps.
     
         

  19. #69
    Insomnia is a bitch... Two's Avatar
    Status
    Two is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In-between 1 and 3
    Posts
    3,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Derp Obito View Post


    The same way can be said to people who subscribe to religious dogma or philosophical axioms. So who are you to judge those who are brainwashed or not? what is your measure then of what is right and what is not?
    It is brainwashing it isn't my judgement, this mentality and way of thinking was mentally and physical beat into those people. whether Somebody was brainwashed isn't subjective it either happened or it didn't....
     
         

  20. #70
    Chaotic Neutral Sir Derp Obito's Avatar
    Status
    Sir Derp Obito is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    22,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has derp status
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Kelvin View Post
    Argumentum ad ignorantiam. You issue a claim, now you must back it up. Not the other way around.
    Like I said, if you cannot establish an absolute ground for your moral system, then we cannot arbitrate disagreements. Tell me then why you believe there is no absolute morality, and I will tell you mine.
     
         

  21. #71
    Member PhazoN's Avatar
    Status
    PhazoN is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Derp Obito View Post
    Care to explain why there is no absolute morality? I can go through a very long philosophical discussion if you want how can we arbitrate disagreements then if you yourself do not have absolutes? what then is the foundation of your belief?
    There is no such thing. Morality is subjective...
     
         

  22. #72
    Chaotic Neutral Sir Derp Obito's Avatar
    Status
    Sir Derp Obito is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    22,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has derp status
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhazoN View Post
    There is no such thing. Morality is subjective...
    Care to explain? I'd love to hear your philosophical arguments of why morality is subjective. And do not tell me simply because you belief in it and nothing more to back it up.
     
         

  23. #73
    Zero Kelvin's Avatar
    Status
    Zero Kelvin is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tenkaichi, Ancrath Archipelago.
    Posts
    15,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let My Own Lack of a Voice Be
    Heard!
     



    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Derp Obito View Post
    Like I said, if you cannot establish an absolute ground for your moral system, then we cannot arbitrate disagreements.
    Why not? We establish ethics, morality and law based on the society we live in. Ethics, morality and law constantly changes for the same reason. A set of 'absolute truths' in ethics is, per definition, impossible unless we have someone/something ultimate that can define good and evil/wrong and right.
    Goddamnit, you're a Theist aren't you?
     
         

  24. #74
    Insomnia is a bitch... Two's Avatar
    Status
    Two is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In-between 1 and 3
    Posts
    3,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Derp Obito View Post
    Care to explain? I'd love to hear your philosophical arguments of why morality is subjective. And do not tell me simply because you belief in it and nothing more to back it up.
    So are you saying the is an 'Absolute morality'? If so, please tell.
     
         

  25. #75
    Senior Member NLee's Avatar
    Status
    NLee is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,071
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

    There are different kinds of suicide for different kinds of reasons. Take altrustic suicide for example.

    Suicide isn't a black and white topic. It's more complicated than that.
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •