deal with it

Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

i think it is selfless and stupid......

Status
    Mar 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking

In Judeo-Christian All suicides go to Hell automatically. So you replace temporary suffering on earth for eternal suffering in Hell,What a trade off.

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    *Amat Victoria Curam*

it is. its a weak act for the weak.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    #Visionwashere

Quote Originally Posted by Honord Sage View Post
    In Judeo-Christian All suicides go to Hell automatically. So you replace temporary suffering on earth for eternal suffering in Hell,What a trade off.
    They're obviously wrong, so why worry.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Sorry if I'm cruel but I would much rather have a a person comity suicide than kill their mom then go to Sandy Hooks school and kill 22 children and 4 teachers because he was depressed his life was sh*t. In my opinion he should e killed himself its the lesser of the 2 evils.

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

somewhere not too far from where i live,i know that there is someone who feels utterly helpless,that they wish to commit suicide,but dont.and there are some not to far from where i live where there is someone who commited suicide.i live in the u.s and most people live very spoiled,their are hardly those that truly suffering life,but they know in their gut what they even have wont amount to anything and don't work at their problems.if we are fortunate enough to have our entire body with no disability,and a healthy mind,and are aware of our concision than their is no reason to commit suicide.weak ones are their to justify the strong.the only people i could feel that can justify a suicide are in third world countries like Africa,but even then they all try to cling to life one way or another even with aid going around like a whore in a rich mans home.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    " It's easy being a saint
    when you don't have to make
    sacrifices "

Quote Originally Posted by Zatronium View Post
    When a person commits suicide it's not simply because they're thinking about themselves. The people around them also aren't thinking about that person; at least until they've ended their life. Sure it's easy to pretend that isn't the case after the fact. Or maybe even to fool yourself into believing you've done everything possible before it happens. But it won't matter what you tell yourself once they're dead and gone.

This thread casts the problem as a personal one when the issue is much more systemic. We've created a society that functions on the suffering of others; where we pretend that we are good people because we can't handle the reality. We pray to our gods for the health of others while money that could be spent on disease research goes toward yet another iPhone or lotto ticket. We demand peace and fairness while ignoring mass executions and pushing more money into the hands of the wealthy. We place our values in basal materialistic desires, rather than into cooperation and unity, despite the latter being more capable of sating the former. We pretend the problems we created were the machinations of some 3rd party. And worst of all: we pretend to understand what we'd much rather ignore.

So whether or not it's a selfish act is irrelevant. That's a question and answer that doesn't fit problem. But what is selfish is to condemn those who are gravely suffering and indeed those who have already died. If we were to afford them an ounce of relief instead of a pound of disdain then maybe - just maybe they wouldn't kill themselves.

Exactly my point. You can't say someone has all these people that love them but in reality none of them he/she could talk to. So much for the loving them part. Sometimes people need someone they can express what's being hidden inside that nobody cares enough to listen. It isn't being being selfish, and it's not being a coward. What usually triggers this act is when people put burden rather than understanding. We don't live in a happy world with people who always help each other. But all it takes is one to stop it all.

Status
    Feb 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fastest thing alive.

Not to mention stupid.

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    hungry

do as you wish with your own life

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Noe 1 cahn beet Narootoh

I think it is, amongst many other things. I don't understand suicide though, I'm mean I have been in very depressed states but I never wanted to end my life. Life just is to vast and holds too many opportunities to cut it short.

Sage of Six Paths Trippy Sage of all Dank's Avatar
    Status
    Nov 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Resonating with the Universe.
    (~..~)

It's easy to say that suicide is an "easy way" out. But think. If the victims' lives were so "easy" why would they even be thinking about suicide in the first place. It's disgusting how the majority would rather judge and harshly criticize the act of the suicide itself, rather than empathize with the victim, their families, and their friends. (if they had any) It's like automatically relating the victim's life with your own, instantly drawing your comparisons between 'obstacles', 'hardships', and 'challenges'. Suicide victims don't have YOUR obstacles in their lives and you don't have THEIR obstacles! You don't even know what they have seen and lived through... Their positive and negative experiences...Their hopes and dreams...

ALL life is precious. Suicide is a sad thing, yet it happens everyday. Nobody is exactly the same. We all have different levels of tolerance to things. Some can tolerate the cold better. Some can tolerate hot weather better. Some can tolerate ALOT of pain, and some have very little tolerance to pain. We all cope in different ways. Some people don't have any ways of coping with their pain. It's sad and depressing but we can't control the fate of our fellow Human beings. What we CAN control is our responses to the events in our lifetimes.

WHY fuss over the argument of "Is suicide right, or wrong?!" It doesn't matter if it's wrong or right. It will still happen. The problem is that we live in an ignorant society that would rather dwell on trivial matters, rather than working to solve the problem at the root.

For example: Picture, side by side, the lives of two young teenage guys. One is straight. One is gay. Which guy do you think will have an easier time being himself, fitting in, and progressing through life?

Think about how much bullshit people get if they're not considered "normal" or "straight". You can't just compare the two guys' lives. Nobody can experience what you feel except for yourself. Now picture the lives of two teenage girls, side by side. One is straight, one is gay/lesbian/bisexual. Obviously in this society, girls who are lesbian or bisexual are more easily accepted in comparison to gay/bisexual men.
    When guys see 2 girls making out. POP! There's instantly a boner or two. But when 2 guys are making out... Different story. They're the ones who will get the bull shit. It's selfish, hypocrisy.

Males who hate gay/bisexual men would most of the time be 100% be down for a 3 some with 2 bisexual/lesbian girls. In fact they'd probably seek that out if they actually knew/saw a couple lesbians/bi girls! BUT as soon as they see a gay/bisexual man/couple.. They start throwing out insults and all this bullshit. They be criticizing other non-aggressive, human beings for trying to live happy lives.<---- think about that.

Another example: Imagine what YOUR life would be like if you were born Transgendered.

Do you see the ignorance? And don't get me started on the religious extremists.....

This poll shouldn't even exist in the first place. "...is it selfish"? Let me ask you. Do you live your life for yourself or for someone else? Are you seeking out YOUR dreams and YOUR happiness? Do you have YOUR goals etc.? Well! You MUST be selfish then, right? Wrong. That's the same kind of logic you're putting in this thread. Suicide isn't selfish. It's a sad, and desperate method of escaping one's pain and suffering. Rather than arguing over "is it wrong or right", we should be compassionate human beings that try to tolerate our differences and understand one another.

A few thought provoking quotes

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"It ain't about black or white cuz we're Human, I hope we see the light before it's ruined."
    - Tupac Shakur

"One thing I can say to that is that we are not disposable, we do not exist to be punch bags for the ignorance of fools nor do we choose to be trans-gender, we are just born that way and we struggle through our lives to be ourselves while being forced to be someone we are not.
    The many ignorant people in the world who hate on anyone who can't help how they were born are the aspect of humanity that will always hold back the chance of progress and acceptance of one another as a species."
    - Anonymous, Transgendered person

HUMAN PSYCHOLOGY IS IMMENSELY COMPLEX. KEEP ANY OF YOUR HARSH CRITICISMS TO YOURSELF PLEASE!

Unnecessary negativity is unnecessary. Spread love and positivity. ONE LOVE to my fellow Earthlings!!

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Theleader~ View Post
    They're obviously wrong, so why worry.
    Nope they are not wong. If there is no life after this life than killing should also be no problem.

Banned
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

This is always a stupid question.

Is it Selfish for someone to live only for the concern of someone else?

Coward you say? Well please go ahead and try it because I assure the people who do kill themselves
    have Aloooooot more balls then those who chicken out or fail at it.

It's a choice and that's it. people have the choice to live as they do to die.

Most people who do commit suicide have higher morals and self dignity than others.
    They cared too much, They felt too much guilt or they were true to their feelings.

Drug overdose due to stupidity does not count though.

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    just to cool to be schooled :)

Quote Originally Posted by obito777 View Post
    It depends on how you look at it and the situation
    No i don't think so. Suicide is suicide your killing yourself and not thinking about how many people are going to be affected by it. You may not be having a great life at the moment but think there are some people out there that have it even worse. You are giving up your life but some lost theirs and might not have not even gotten a chance to live theirs like you have. You're lucky enjoy life while you can.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

First off who are we to judge somebody for their actions? I am sure that almost everyone, at some point in their lives, has had the thought of suicide even if it was just a stray thought. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that I agree with every suicide out there because you would be wrong. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of a man named Dr. Kevorkian.... He was a doctor, although a bit crazy and probably the wrong advocate for his cause, that assisted people in ending their lives. Extremely controversial, but he did have criteria that had to be met before he would agree to the procedure. How many of you have sit and watched one of your loved ones die from a terminal cancer? Did you actually spend a lot of time around this person? Did you see their suffering? We "put our pets down" when we see that they are terminally ill because it is the only "humane" thing to do. Yet we sit around and watch our loved ones suffer in pain that isn't even imaginable. Do we care more for our pets? No we do not, but today's society would have you believe that it is weak to allow a person that is suffering (with no cure) to decide to end their own lives.

Ask yourself how you would feel if tomorrow you had an accident and all you could do is blink your eyes..... would you want to live for weeks, months, or even years like that? Or if you were diagnosed with a terminal disease and had to suffer pain that you have never felt before for no telling how long would you not want the choice to call the shots a little? Wouldn't it be better to leave the ones that you love and care about with the knowledge that you didn't suffer and that you got to die peacefully?

People who are bullied are not the only ones that commit suicide. I personally want to die peacefully with no pain, although that will probably not happen. The truth is that we are all going to die anyways, that is something that we all have in common. So don't judge.

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Story So Far.

Of course it's selfish.
    There are so many others in worse situations than yourself. I hate using this, but people in Africa and poverty stricken countries try so hard to stay alive everyday, they want to live, and there situation is a shit load worse than what yours is.

They carry a bucket of water for Kilometers on end just to get water, this is while trying not to get abducted and raped. And you, well you just got called fat or ugly and say that you have no one. How terrible -.- There are so many people out there for you, willing to help and be there for you, but still they choose to be ignorant.

So many things to do in the world, so many things to see and so much to discover and explore. Why take that all away?

Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Be mature enough to know that a lot of people around you cares for you. Your family, friends and relatives.
    Oh, and if you are a catholic or christian, committing suicide will be a free ticket to hell.

Suicide is not a heroic but a cowardly act. Remember that.

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanna be SWEET

Quote Originally Posted by Okumura Rin View Post
    Of course it's selfish.
    There are so many others in worse situations than yourself. I hate using this, but people in Africa and poverty stricken countries try so hard to stay alive everyday, they want to live, and there situation is a shit load worse than what yours is.

They carry a bucket of water for Kilometers on end just to get water, this is while trying not to get abducted and raped. And you, well you just got called fat or ugly and say that you have no one. How terrible -.- There are so many people out there for you, willing to help and be there for you, but still they choose to be ignorant.

So many things to do in the world, so many things to see and so much to discover and explore. Why take that all away?
    "Dying is not a crime." -Jack Kevorkian

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

its not a bad thing or a good thing

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

It definitely is selfish but people aren't understanding something in this topic. It may be selfish but the choice is ultimately theirs to make.

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    playing with flames

Quote Originally Posted by ventalus View Post
    you can never truly understand the person until you know same pain as him/her.
    ^^ this

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    playing with flames

Be mature enough to know that a lot of people around you cares for you. Your family, friends and relatives.
    Oh, and if you are a catholic or christian, committing suicide will be a free ticket to hell.

Suicide is not a heroic but a cowardly act. Remember that.
    how about people without family, friends, and relatives? how about people who have nothing nor someone caring for them?

Trolling level over 9000 markdabomb22's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm Batman

Yes.....suicide is for *****'s.......that is all

Academy Student
    Status
    Dec 2012
    In the end restroom stall with Hinata teaching her the finer points of Chakra Control. :P
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I don't think it's that bad.. Whenever you're meant to re-converge you're meant to re-converge.. No matter the method. And suicide is a response to overwhelming pain, one of the body's FIRST instinct is self-preservation, for that to be overridden, the body must experience a decent amount of trauma or have a mental pre-disposition. Selfish..? Yes, but so is an orgasm. Misunderstood.. Very.

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

the thing to remember is that people who are driven towards suicide have a different perspective on life, so talking about will and all that is irrelevant. we're talking about people who've been conditioned to see no good around them and in themselves, who have no hope. so i think it's not much the selfishness on their part that's the problem than the cumulative selfishness and blind eyes of society that drive people to that state. Mother Teresa said that loneliness is the biggest disease in western countries, and she's probably right.