152 73.79%
  • No

54 26.21%
Page 8 of 11 « First ... 4567891011 Last»
    Status
    May 2012
    Itachi Solo's.

Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

My my, there's actually some form of intelligent discussion going on here; good on ya, NB.

As for the OP, my viewpoint(s) have already been expressed in this thread already by others members.

Status
    Mar 2012

Yes it is
    You get away easy but the ones you love and the ones that care about you will suffer

Status
    Dec 2012
    This user has no status.

The ends of suicide is subjective; there is no right or wrong answer: just man categorizing properties to an element.

King of Tea and Biscuits Captain Jimjam's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2012
    This user has no status.

Very much selfish in my opinion. If you're having a tough time, you see it through to the end. Life is a blessing, we're very fortunate to have it. Committing suicide basically completely disregards this blessing, and not only that, it makes the people close to you besides themselves with grief and suffering. If you're thinking about committing suicide, think about the people you care about. If you don't want them to suffer, then endure your own suffering to see all of you smiling at the end of it.

Status
    Aug 2011
    Canada is all you have to know, for now :P
    After a long time! I'm Back!

Quote Originally Posted by obito777 View Post
    It depends on how you look at it and the situation
    Yeah what he said

Status
    Apr 2012
    This user has no status.

Selfish or not, it should be only their decision. Trying to change their decision for your benefit is selfish.

Status
    Sep 2012
    This user has no status.

Only in certain situations, for example sakumo's suicide was selfish

Status
    Oct 2012
    `David.

Uchiha Shisui suicided. Was it selfish? Hell no. It all depends on situation, if you have a family or not. However, if you're planing smh like that I'll give you an advice. Don't do that. I have thought about it once..

Status
    Sep 2012
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by roncato View Post
    Uchiha Shisui suicided. Was it selfish? Hell no. It all depends on situation, if you have a family or not. However, if you're planing smh like that I'll give you an advice. Don't do that. I have thought about it once..
    thats what im saying, shisui suicided for the better of konoha, while sakumo suicided leaving kakashi alone

Academy Student
    Status
    Jan 2013
    This user has no status.

When a person commits suicide it's not simply because they're thinking about themselves. The people around them also aren't thinking about that person; at least until they've ended their life. Sure it's easy to pretend that isn't the case after the fact. Or maybe even to fool yourself into believing you've done everything possible before it happens. But it won't matter what you tell yourself once they're dead and gone.

This thread casts the problem as a personal one when the issue is much more systemic. We've created a society that functions on the suffering of others; where we pretend that we are good people because we can't handle the reality. We pray to our gods for the health of others while money that could be spent on disease research goes toward yet another iPhone or lotto ticket. We demand peace and fairness while ignoring mass executions and pushing more money into the hands of the wealthy. We place our values in basal materialistic desires, rather than into cooperation and unity, despite the latter being more capable of sating the former. We pretend the problems we created were the machinations of some 3rd party. And worst of all: we pretend to understand what we'd much rather ignore.

So whether or not it's a selfish act is irrelevant. That's a question and answer that doesn't fit the problem. But what is selfish is to condemn those who are gravely suffering and indeed those who have already died. If we were to afford them an ounce of relief instead of a pound of disdain then maybe - just maybe they wouldn't kill themselves.

Last edited by Zatronium; 01-14-2013 at 12:55 AM.

sage of th 9th path Uchihasenju's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2011
    deal with it

i think it is selfless and stupid......

Status
    Mar 2010
    Thinking

In Judeo-Christian All suicides go to Hell automatically. So you replace temporary suffering on earth for eternal suffering in Hell,What a trade off.

Status
    Oct 2011
    *Amat Victoria Curam*

it is. its a weak act for the weak.

Status
    Sep 2011
    #Visionwashere

Quote Originally Posted by Honord Sage View Post
    In Judeo-Christian All suicides go to Hell automatically. So you replace temporary suffering on earth for eternal suffering in Hell,What a trade off.
    They're obviously wrong, so why worry.

Status
    Dec 2012
    This user has no status.

Sorry if I'm cruel but I would much rather have a a person comity suicide than kill their mom then go to Sandy Hooks school and kill 22 children and 4 teachers because he was depressed his life was sh*t. In my opinion he should e killed himself its the lesser of the 2 evils.

Status
    Mar 2012
    This user has no status.

somewhere not too far from where i live,i know that there is someone who feels utterly helpless,that they wish to commit suicide,but dont.and there are some not to far from where i live where there is someone who commited suicide.i live in the u.s and most people live very spoiled,their are hardly those that truly suffering life,but they know in their gut what they even have wont amount to anything and don't work at their problems.if we are fortunate enough to have our entire body with no disability,and a healthy mind,and are aware of our concision than their is no reason to commit suicide.weak ones are their to justify the strong.the only people i could feel that can justify a suicide are in third world countries like Africa,but even then they all try to cling to life one way or another even with aid going around like a whore in a rich mans home.

Status
    Nov 2012
    " It's easy being a saint
    when you don't have to make
    sacrifices "

Quote Originally Posted by Zatronium View Post
    When a person commits suicide it's not simply because they're thinking about themselves. The people around them also aren't thinking about that person; at least until they've ended their life. Sure it's easy to pretend that isn't the case after the fact. Or maybe even to fool yourself into believing you've done everything possible before it happens. But it won't matter what you tell yourself once they're dead and gone.

This thread casts the problem as a personal one when the issue is much more systemic. We've created a society that functions on the suffering of others; where we pretend that we are good people because we can't handle the reality. We pray to our gods for the health of others while money that could be spent on disease research goes toward yet another iPhone or lotto ticket. We demand peace and fairness while ignoring mass executions and pushing more money into the hands of the wealthy. We place our values in basal materialistic desires, rather than into cooperation and unity, despite the latter being more capable of sating the former. We pretend the problems we created were the machinations of some 3rd party. And worst of all: we pretend to understand what we'd much rather ignore.

So whether or not it's a selfish act is irrelevant. That's a question and answer that doesn't fit problem. But what is selfish is to condemn those who are gravely suffering and indeed those who have already died. If we were to afford them an ounce of relief instead of a pound of disdain then maybe - just maybe they wouldn't kill themselves.

Exactly my point. You can't say someone has all these people that love them but in reality none of them he/she could talk to. So much for the loving them part. Sometimes people need someone they can express what's being hidden inside that nobody cares enough to listen. It isn't being being selfish, and it's not being a coward. What usually triggers this act is when people put burden rather than understanding. We don't live in a happy world with people who always help each other. But all it takes is one to stop it all.

Status
    Feb 2011
    Fastest thing alive.

Not to mention stupid.

Status
    Oct 2012
    hungry

do as you wish with your own life

Status
    Apr 2012
    Noe 1 cahn beet Narootoh

I think it is, amongst many other things. I don't understand suicide though, I'm mean I have been in very depressed states but I never wanted to end my life. Life just is to vast and holds too many opportunities to cut it short.