Status
    Feb 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to bake you a pie ..
    Oh boy what flavor .. PIE
    FLAVOR

Re: Is suicide a selfish act?

No...
    Yer you leave behind people and they have to deal with the aftermaths, But what about the person? ..
    For one It's never easy to commit suicide - there's the actual thinking of it, planning of it and then "Doing it" which is the hardest thing.. so to get to that point, the person have had to deal with enough to push them there. Then to do it with ties still in this world is something insane (I should know :/ )
    It comes down to the person's own situation - End the life in which has been "beyond words" and bring peace to one's self... or live on suffering (most of the time) making things worse.
    People often say it is .. without ever taking in the person's feelings n views.. but for that to happen, they have to go through the same life they lead including the actions they took... When people say there's help - doesn't ever mean it's "Help".

(oh and on this note, Never never bring religion into this kind of matters (Not saying anyone has here) cos they just make it thousand times worse (just saying.. not starting no flame wars or insulting them.. they just do - again - trust me)

Last edited by Jim Rider; 01-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Academy Student
    Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

No, there's nothing about suicide that's inherently selfish; that is to say that there is no reason why, all other things being equal, an agent who is capable of making rational decisions should not have the right to self-determination with respect to the continuation or discontinuation of their own life.

That said, it is certainly possible that a person can commit suicide for reasons that are, at least in part, selfish i.e. to get back at somebody but even then I don't think that selfishness alone can even come close in sufficiently motivating a person to take their own life; depression, stress, grief and so on are all motivators which render selfishness essentially negligible, even if it is overtly stated as the primary motivator. Ultimately, suicide is a personal choice, and a person has no obligation to relinquish their right to choose even if those who know them would prefer that they continued living - though the decision is certainly one of choosing personal happiness over the happiness of others, there is no moral obligation one way or the other, so somebody who commits suicide should really be immune to admonishment.

Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Burp...

Suicide is in a way a selfish act. Cause by ending your own life you want to ease your own suffering. Failing to grasp that however bad you may have been in the living, there will always be at least one person who would be extremely and genuinely sad by your passing. You might also be the reason for some one's life and by killing yourself you take away that reason. Most of the times its the parents.

So yeah I would consider it selfish in that respect. Although it was his decision to make. People who live for others are truly selfless.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hinata and Karin will become
    new so6p's! XD

It's not selfish,it's dumb... -.-
    P.S. I didn't want to click dislike button...sry :S

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope...

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BlameAme

Depends on the situation....
    Deathly ill and just want to be at peace, not really selfish
    Child molester realizing death is the only cure for them, not at all selfish(and good riddance)
    But for the most part, yes it is. It's a quick fix to life's problems, a cowards way out. What of the people left behind to mourn, forever scarred by the loss?
    There are people (particularly in inner cities) that have HORRIBLY hard lives, yet some how keep on moving for the sake of those who love and need them.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    the lord of my dreams.

wat?!..i think suicide i well.yes an easy way out of ur troubles.but really.u have to be strong.dnt let anyone get to u.u do ur thing enjoy ur life wat u like even if u start with lil things.u will over come those ad n depressing feelings.i've thought about it 2 but i said.y?.i looked around me an noticed i enjoyed things n make me happy.like naruto hahah!!! yes naruto might not be real.but the words r..so i met sumone n have kids.im so happy.i've forgotten all about those sad moments.HEY.BE STRONG.CUS ALL OF US A.THERE NO EASY WAY.BUT FIGURE IT OUT.THINK CLEAR.THINK FOR U.NOT OTHERS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khunka View Post
    No. its an easier way to end the Pain Well im one of this people you mentioned here LOL.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    the lord of my dreams.

...............really people??....both wud have pretty cute kids tho.not together!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hikari uchiha senju View Post
    it's not selfish,it's dumb... -.-
    p.s. I didn't want to click dislike button...sry :s

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Yes, but people who commit suicide ( not talking about the ones who suffer from a serious mental illness ) are usually selfish, egoistical and self absorbed.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

guys watch 7 pounds ,then come back n answer this question

Sage of Six Paths Trippy Sage of all Dank's Avatar
    Status
    Nov 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Resonating with the Universe.
    (~..~)

Wow, alot of condescending folks here. Depression is a mental sickness in itself. Genetics play a big part in that whole picture as well. You don't just commit suicide out of thin air. Suicide is the dead end, last resort escape. Nobody goes like, "ok on this date, I will commence the ritual of killing myself"... Pain, sadness.. a tough, violent past... People develop depression over time. Depression is curable, but for some it's not. It's complex, to say the least. Human Psychology is so epicly, immense. You can't even begin to fathom how intricate the Human brain/mind is. Why can't some of you be just a little sympathetic for these people? We should learn from these people's lives and appreciate the precious things in life. Don't spread harsh, unnecessary negativity; Spread love and positivity. Seriously! One love!!

Last edited by Trippy Sage of all Dank; 01-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

To commit suicide or not to commit suicide, both courses require courage during the darkest hour.

I once myself walked that very thin line, it was a really good thing that I found someone to cherish life with.

Banned
    Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Depends on the situation said person is in. Some people dont just feel like a burden but really are a burden to others. At the end of the day it is their life and if they want to stop living because they are not enjoying life at all and are dealing with too many issues for them to take, then let them. I dont really promote it but you cant stop people from doing the things they want to do

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanna be SWEET

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Trickster View Post
    Way to miss the point.
    I didn't miss the point, I disagreed with it. Suicide can sometimes be selfish, but I see nothing wrong with it. If someone wants to die, they don't need your acceptance.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Those who do the deed leAve their family's to pick up the broken pieces there is no real need to commit suicide unless ur doing it for the right reasons like if you have an un cure able illness and have had enough but doing it is wrong in my mind to many people that I know have done this !! As stated above

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fanboy Killer.

Suicide is for pussies.

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

It is not selfish, at all.

Saying it is selfish, solely basing on what the aftermath will be, is absurd, for the person is completely an individual from its moment of birth. What ties us to others are only two things: our physical condition, for we are bound to this world as fleshly beings, organic creations which have to reproduce and perish sooner or later; and, deriving from the previous reason, whatever symbolisations we may acquire through language, due to language being the platform on which humans build relationships, ergo, society. Therefore, considering suicide as a selfish act contemplates a sort of treason towards the fellow humans, the closest ones, only because of there being an abstract bond between them and the suiciding individual. Even if this fundament, the bond, is certainly valid for us language-defined existences, it is rendered meaningless once one encounters oneself as a completely independent, conscious being, that will only fade if his predisposed needs are not satisfied.

We are dependant only as much as we are organic and social, yet we, as individuals, are completely free once language loses its meaning and flesh passes away.

On a more culturally apprehensible note, suicide is in no manner a coward's way out. You need as many balls to commit suicide as you need to live in this universe, given that there is no such thing as Rinnne-Tensei or some unholy Reanimation Jutsu.

Last edited by gatrevar; 01-15-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: grammar

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BlameAme

Quote Originally Posted by Trollasaur View Post
    Suicide is for pussies.
    and there you have it. Suicide doesn't require courage, it requires no backbone. Staying here and dealing with your problems, now that takes courage

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Work Work Work Work

Quote Originally Posted by Ventalus View Post
    You can never truly understand the person until you know same pain as him/her.
    Well said.

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    #BlameAme

]As someone who has lived a life full of pain, loss, and disappointment I have to disagree. I'm still here, even though I entertained thoughts like that before. There's no courage involved when taking ones life. Only more pain. The true test is how many times you get back up after being knocked down by life. I have a little girl who wouldn't be here had I made a selfish quick-fix decision like that. And to make matters worse, she is autistic so I will probably be caring for her for her entire life, or at least however long I'm alive. Yet I keep trucking because I have people who depend on me to be strong. I cannot accept anyone who thinks suicide is a OK fix to their problems.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Well I've seen a lot in my years. And I have been dragged through epic depressions. But suicide has never really jumped into my head. Sometimes I wished I never existed so I could be gone and loved ones wouldn't feel the pain. But I've even drove away those thoughts as I have matured. Frankly I can only see myself doing it if faced with an extreme situation. Like faceing a slow and painful death vs a quick one. For the most part, yes it is selfish. A lot of depression can be cured by the simple act of introspective thinking. Bulllying is never a reason. Past trauma can be overcome if you have a network of love and support. There are very few situations where suicide should be an option. At least in my humble opinion

Status
    Mar 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I thnk the movie "what dreams may come" explains this.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Suicide suck don't do it simples all this you don't know somebody pain is pish !! Pardon the pun unless you go to digntas I'm sorry it's a selfish sick and immoral act you not only take you life when you do this act but when you do your family are left with pain and suffer as the consequence and feel like taking there own life as well that's what Prozac is for I'm sorry talk about what's bothering you instead of bottling it up then snapping and thinking suicide is the only path to choose !! It's you life you are here to live you only live 1ce ppl and don't think about slitting you wrists it just leaves nasty scars I should know (bullying) almost made me do something I would regret

Sage of Six Paths Trippy Sage of all Dank's Avatar
    Status
    Nov 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Resonating with the Universe.
    (~..~)

Quote Originally Posted by Saiya-Jin Prince View Post
    ]As someone who has lived a life full of pain, loss, and disappointment I have to disagree. I'm still here, even though I entertained thoughts like that before. There's no courage involved when taking ones life. Only more pain. The true test is how many times you get back up after being knocked down by life. I have a little girl who wouldn't be here had I made a selfish quick-fix decision like that. And to make matters worse, she is autistic so I will probably be caring for her for her entire life, or at least however long I'm alive. Yet I keep trucking because I have people who depend on me to be strong. I cannot accept anyone who thinks suicide is a OK fix to their problems.
    Please get off your high horse. Nobody needs your acceptance. Don't compare your life struggles with others.... You don't even know THEIR half of the story either. Don't be a critic. Like it or not, the decision to live or die is a choice EVERYONE has the freedom to make. Live and let live.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    waiting for the miracle to
    come...

We are not in the position to tell. None of us can rate someone else's pain and say 'this is how you have to handle it' so I would say no, it's not selfish. There are alot of situations where it can be understandable like a horrible painful desease, losing someone you loved etc. Again, who are we to rate someone else's pain? Same kind of discussion is abortion of children that came out of rape. Some people say 'hell no, every life is valuable' some say 'of course, understandable'. We cannot really tell. When we can handle things differently, doesn't mean everyone else can or has to.

Page 8 of 9 « First ... 456789 Last»