Page 2 of 2 « First 12
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Ranger, Sun Gazer

Re: Some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased King View Post
    Thanks. I'm not the type to be hateful or rude so you could imagine how much this has flip-flopped my life.

Yeah? What happened?
    well...failing at some things causing me to shutdown on the whole thing. ;p
    Like for example: My kickboks match, went ok, but not that spectacular. In front of 700 men or so. Just didn't want anything to do with kickboxing afterwards ;p

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I know how to handle customers, I've always waited for them to make the first move. However what made my situation different was that I already knew the guy; he came often, we joked often.

For whatever reason, (maybe he wasn't in a good mood) he didn't think lightly of my joke.

Agreed with you. He had a bad mood as his wife did not give him...................

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I shit on my status, if you
    wanna see it dig through the
    shit

So last summer, I had a retail job. I was at the cashier when a familiar customer with his 4 year old son comes in. When ever he comes, he always likes to tell jokes and what not, so I thought I'd bang the first joke out this time. Big mistake.

When he came to the counter, he only brought one item, so I got the idea to joke and say "Just one item? You aren't stealing are you?" The man was Hispanic and thought that I was being prejudice in accusing him of stealing in front of his son, he did not realize I was trying to joke with him. I felt really bad making him feel like a criminal and have since then stopped joking with customers or people I don't know well in general.

When I reflect on what happened, I can't help but feel that the situation made me antisocial; I start to feel awkward in conversations with people and fear shedding some humor because I don't want that situation to reoccur. I went from being voted most sarcastic and funny in my yearbook to dry-humor guy just because I don't want to hurt people's feelings if they get offended.

My question to NB: Should I continue to obsess over what I say with others or should I careless about whether or not they get offended unintentionally?
    My philosophy when handling stuff such as this. I always treat everyone the same regardless of race or heritage, thus I hate everyone the same so I no longer let petty people bring me down regardless of what was said.

Status
    Aug 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    is SCIENCE.

You should evaluate what you do and what's other's reactions to it to know who is it to blame.

Banned
    Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

In the nicest way possible, grow a pair of nuts. Stay away from topics that others may see as offensive but you shouldnt go around being scared of offending somebody all the time

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do the ends always justify the
    means?

Quote Originally Posted by YowYan View Post
    well...failing at some things causing me to shutdown on the whole thing. ;p
    Like for example: My kickboks match, went ok, but not that spectacular. In front of 700 men or so. Just didn't want anything to do with kickboxing afterwards ;p
    I'm pretty sure you were good at it, hell I'm even sure you're better than me, but you can't let one match decide everything; everyone has a rainy day. Even prodigies eat the dirt sometimes.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    means?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurama999 View Post
    Agreed with you. He had a bad mood as his wife did not give him...................
    that would be something though.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    means?

Quote Originally Posted by Roju View Post
    My philosophy when handling stuff such as this. I always treat everyone the same regardless of race or heritage, thus I hate everyone the same so I no longer let petty people bring me down regardless of what was said.
    That's pretty intereting, but bold; I could never. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Seblax View Post
    You should evaluate what you do and what's other's reactions to it to know who is it to blame.
    I'm not looking for someone to blame. I've accepted that I did make a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
    In the nicest way possible, grow a pair of nuts. Stay away from topics that others may see as offensive but you shouldnt go around being scared of offending somebody all the time
    Haha nicely put. Thank you.

Status
    Feb 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a society that has
    destroyed all adventure, the
    only adventure left is to
    destroy society

I hate dealing with robot kind of customer service... robot smile and small talk. You see them as if they hate theyr job or just hate dealing with other people. Everytime I meet social customer service I feel like coming back.. that's how you find yourself a places you always return to.. favorite coffeshop/ lunch /restorant .... it's not always the food or product it's people... you cracked a bad joke... crack another :3 It was pretty good though you should be disappointed with his reaction

The word is Pretentious. Naruto N Uzumaki's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I hate dealing with robot kind of customer service... robot smile and small talk. You see them as if they hate theyr job or just hate dealing with other people. Everytime I meet social customer service I feel like coming back.. that's how you find yourself a places you always return to.. favorite coffeshop/ lunch /restorant .... it's not always the food or product it's people... you cracked a bad joke... crack another :3 It was pretty good though you should be disappointed with his reaction
    You never responded to my vm.

Banned
    Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto N Uzumaki View Post
    You never responded to my vm.
    #callout

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    means?

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Yeah I was just trying to lighten his day, instead apparently I embarrassed him. I've been guilty of robo-service for a while after this incident...But after hearing out opinions like yours, I've moved closer to accepting that it was just a bump on the road.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 « First 12