View Poll Results: How do you rate this tournament?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 - Very Bad

1 2.44%
  • 2 - Bad

0 0%
  • 3 - Decent

5 12.20%
  • 4 - Good

19 46.34%
  • 5 - Near Perfect

16 39.02%
Page 2 of 11 « First 123456 ... Last»
    Status
    Like brothers we share. I want
    it all, take it back if you
    dare.

Re: [Grand RP Tournament] Xmas Edition - Feedback and Discussion

I'd like to, for every tournament, have stated what the judges base their judgements on.
    My battle was lost because I 'used Sage Mode too early.' That's fine; good use of the Basic Five counts for something too.
    I would, however, appreciate if that was stated beforehand. It would be very simple. "We judge the fights primarily on X, secondarily on Y and tertiary on Z."
    And, like mentioned before, a losers-bracket is much needed.

Status
    May 2012
    #Pray4NB

I enjoyed reading all of these fights, inspires me to finish my training even more, so i can participate in the next ones. The only thing i feel was bad, was in the early fights, to many fights ended by forfeit or technicality. That's no fun, I canunderstand if your forfeited for rl stuff but just because you lost interest is wack. Other then that good job whoever organized it ._.

Is this thread open for a small tournament suggestion or should just vm it?

Status
    Aug 2010
    Change is here.

Quote Originally Posted by McRazor View Post
    Just thought I'd add that maybe the 3 votes thing could be done from the beginning, to avoid possible accusations of biasness or anything of that matter. Other than that, nothing to complain about. Great job.
    I agree. The three judging part made me wonder why it wasn't done from the beginning barring the inactivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Erzo View Post
    Weird but I disagree with both your points..
    I felt like there was no need for a losers bracket. You lose you get kicked out, more exciting that way since there's no second chance. And as for the time period, 7 days is more than enough.
    I concur. It shouldn't take that long to come up with a move. It takes longer typing it out than it does to actually Come up with it. .
    And it's a fact that some people try to use the time limit as a means of controlling the fight. I really think the reply time should be dropped down to a day. Because otherwise you get fights with only two moves it it and its a pain to judge things like that.

Also didn't like the fact that there was no losers bracket simply because well you lost. Should have given it your all. And if it wasn't enough you aren't guaranteed a retry. . Shouldn't have messed up in the first place.

Status
    Jan 2009
    Crazy Fool that Gang Bang, EST 19XX and Stay Lace Up
    #BlackFlag #MachineGunKelly
    #Dub-O #Slim #LaceUp #EST19XX

Near perfect

1. Add the three judge option
    2. Add the loser bracket again
    3. Keep the discussion thread
    4. Let the member chose what bio they would like prize for

Status
    Oct 2011
    King of the North

Quote Originally Posted by Lili-Chwan View Post
    I enjoyed this tournament. And the discussion thread raised a lot of good topics. But it also had some pretty petty ones. As a whole, people started reporting/sending to be checked the most trivial and futile topics, ones that could be easily be dealt with through vm. Besides, simply ignoring some minor problems and continue the fight is a option too.

But yeah. Highlights that I can think of right now:

1. I absolutely loved Reborn's use of a Genjutsu in his fight with Yusuke (Or something like that). The on liner was great and the way you manipulated the genjutsu was suberb and really pleasurable to read. It is quite morbid, thus it might not be as pleasurable to others. I'm just a bit twisted in the head xD

2. So far, I've really enjoyed all my fights. I didn't know a couple of the people I faced, or, at least, it was the first time I actually took time to notice them, but I'm quite impressed. To begin with Cobalt, one of the best fights I've fought. Your custom element, Francium, is really well made. It has great characteristics that makes it stand out from other metal ce and the way you created it's jutsus is quite astonishing

3. Scaze's fight, while shorter than Cobalt's, was quite enjoyable too. I've said it before, but your custom animal, the Batoidea, is incredibly well made and unique. It's what I always hoped to make with a summon. The techniques are so detailed and so creative, I just had to praise them. And sorry about the no-offensive jutsus restriction I put on myself xD you held your own regardless.

4. Better was a real surprise to me. Don't want to downgrade, saying I expected little of you, it's simply coming from my own ignorance. Your style is great. I like that you started by mastering canon jutsus to max, and you're beast with them. Don't know if it was choice or you were forced to, but it made an impression on me nonetheless. Great rper.

5. Typhoon. You wack. Nah, just kidding. Our fight was small, but I liked our taijutsu encounter. Haven't used Devious Porcupine in a while xD
    Thanks for that again, means a lot, and to answer the question, none of my customs get apporved lol so, i had to make due with what I have, still I'm glad I made it as far as I did, Fighting you and Kirabi really helped me find out about myself as a Rper. Btw Minerva suit you in a scary way

Great Tourney Scorps, as TO of Kumo, I actually implemented the same concept with the discussion thread and what not. Where judges can go to the discussion and see what fights need to be judged. I had fun, and next tourney Gin Ichimaru will do better.

Last edited by Better; 01-18-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Status
    Apr 2012
    Living In A Sand Castle

I hope next time people who haven't mastered base 5 can participate as well.....bored of just watching others fight cuz I haven't completed my training yet :shrug:

Status
    Nov 2008
    Dead

The thing is that the three vote thing wasn't really a rule. It was never made into a rule, just something that was necessary for certain battles. It literally only came up because the fights toward the end were just so close that Scorps was unsure of which direction to judge it, so whereas normally his judgement was enough, he felt as though he should get other opinions. It wasn't really like Scorps decided that his method wasn't working and wanted to switch things up, ya know? It was really just for those specific fights as the tourney wound down. And while it may make things easier, it would also make for a bit more strenuous of a grading process if from the very start the tourney won't progress until Scorps, Vincent, and I (or whoever else) all grade every fight. Taking into consideration that it only takes one mod to grade a sensei test or a most special bio tests, it really isn't necessary to have three mods for every fight from the start of the tourney. In my opinion it would just end up slowing down the tourney. Now maybe having three mods assigned to the tourney who would grade together when necessary may be an idea. But applying this to every battle just seems unnecessary.

Status
    Nov 2010
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Solf J. Kimblee View Post
    Near perfect

pretty much agree with what Solf said right here, with everything i mean

what i think is important about loser bracket that you might get unlucky and get someone like Lili in the first round, just sayin that with Looser bracket it is better for everyone

and personally would change to 2 days to reply to fight 3 is a lot and 1 is only a little bit imo

Status
    Jun 2011
    Cookies

Why not create a new sub-forum? Will be way easier to follow fights and to go back in to previous fights. By the way I couldn't participate because of the Basic 5 rule lol. I'm probably not powerful enough to be any competition, but it would've been fun to try.

So yeah, why not create a sub-forum. Since I can predict another will be popping up.

Also on the multiple-mod story: I say on do multiple-mods from quarter finals and on wards.

Status
    Apr 2011
    I'm not inactive. Just
    preoccupied.

I enjoyed this tournament. And the discussion thread raised a lot of good topics. But it also had some pretty petty ones. As a whole, people started reporting/sending to be checked the most trivial and futile topics, ones that could be easily be dealt with through vm. Besides, simply ignoring some minor problems and continue the fight is a option too.

1. I absolutely loved Reborn's use of a Genjutsu in his fight with Yusuke (Or something like that). The on liner was great and the way you manipulated the genjutsu was suberb and really pleasurable to read. It is quite morbid, thus it might not be as pleasurable to others. I'm just a bit twisted in the head xD

2. So far, I've really enjoyed all my fights. I didn't know a couple of the people I faced, or, at least, it was the first time I actually took time to notice them, but I'm quite impressed. To begin with Cobalt, one of the best fights I've fought. Your custom element, Francium, is really well made. It has great characteristics that makes it stand out from other metal ce and the way you created it's jutsus is quite astonishing

3. Scaze's fight, while shorter than Cobalt's, was quite enjoyable too. I've said it before, but your custom animal, the Batoidea, is incredibly well made and unique. It's what I always hoped to make with a summon. The techniques are so detailed and so creative, I just had to praise them. And sorry about the no-offensive jutsus restriction I put on myself xD you held your own regardless.

4. Better was a real surprise to me. Don't want to downgrade, saying I expected little of you, it's simply coming from my own ignorance. Your style is great. I like that you started by mastering canon jutsus to max, and you're beast with them. Don't know if it was choice or you were forced to, but it made an impression on me nonetheless. Great rper.

5. Typhoon. You wack. Nah, just kidding. Our fight was small, but I liked our taijutsu encounter. Haven't used Devious Porcupine in a while xD
    Thanks. :3 I enjoyed the fight too, even though I had more of a love-hate relationship with it. Genjutsu D:

Quote Originally Posted by Oraan View Post
    I agree. The three judging part made me wonder why it wasn't done from the beginning barring the inactivity.

I concur. It shouldn't take that long to come up with a move. It takes longer typing it out than it does to actually Come up with it. .
    And it's a fact that some people try to use the time limit as a means of controlling the fight. I really think the reply time should be dropped down to a day. Because otherwise you get fights with only two moves it it and its a pain to judge things like that.

Also didn't like the fact that there was no losers bracket simply because well you lost. Should have given it your all. And if it wasn't enough you aren't guaranteed a retry. . Shouldn't have messed up in the first place.
    , only for battle freaks like you. xD
    Yeah I agree, 4 days is way too much, with that much time it makes stalling a highly viable, and possibly productive option. Though One day is a bit too short, perhaps roughly 36-60 hours time limit would be better, especially since most of the people who actively replied, replied within this time period anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie.. View Post
    Why not create a new sub-forum? Will be way easier to follow fights and to go back in to previous fights. By the way I couldn't participate because of the Basic 5 rule lol. I'm probably not powerful enough to be any competition, but it would've been fun to try.

So yeah, why not create a sub-forum. Since I can predict another will be popping up.

Also on the multiple-mod story: I say on do multiple-mods from quarter finals and on wards.
    I like the idea of a sub-forum, makes things easier to go through, and easier to navigate through past fights. It'd probably make the battle test section cleaner too, it was pretty much flooded with tourney fights before.

Overall I enjoyed the tourney, but short battles and stuff were a bit of a downer for me. But that can't necessarily be helped.

Last edited by Scaze; 01-18-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Status
    Jan 2009
    Crazy Fool that Gang Bang, EST 19XX and Stay Lace Up
    #BlackFlag #MachineGunKelly
    #Dub-O #Slim #LaceUp #EST19XX

Quote Originally Posted by Riku.. View Post
    The thing is that the three vote thing wasn't really a rule. It was never made into a rule, just something that was necessary for certain battles. It literally only came up because the fights toward the end were just so close that Scorps was unsure of which direction to judge it, so whereas normally his judgement was enough, he felt as though he should get other opinions. It wasn't really like Scorps decided that his method wasn't working and wanted to switch things up, ya know? It was really just for those specific fights as the tourney wound down. And while it may make things easier, it would also make for a bit more strenuous of a grading process if from the very start the tourney won't progress until Scorps, Vincent, and I (or whoever else) all grade every fight. Taking into consideration that it only takes one mod to grade a sensei test or a most special bio tests, it really isn't necessary to have three mods for every fight from the start of the tourney. In my opinion it would just end up slowing down the tourney. Now maybe having three mods assigned to the tourney who would grade together when necessary may be an idea. But applying this to every battle just seems unnecessary.
    Well yea that is true. Well the three judgement should be whenever one of the judges have a hard time grading said fight during the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Migualon J.J. View Post
    pretty much agree with what Solf said right here, with everything i mean

what i think is important about loser bracket that you might get unlucky and get someone like Lili in the first round, just sayin that with Looser bracket it is better for everyone

and personally would change to 2 days to reply to fight 3 is a lot and 1 is only a little bit imo
    Did I read this right? You agree with me

I say two days also

Sub forum would be great but that all depends on the mods and admins.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Imagine paradise, now think of the furthest thing from it, and I'm in the place furthest from that.
    This user has no status.

One thing that would really add to the tournament would be Scorps in a bikini with a large sign marking the rounds... Those tatas need to be let loose more often, Scorseh
    Quote Originally Posted by -Cobalt- View Post
    Thank you Lili, I appreciate those words and thank you for them. I'll go to hell, if our fight wasn't the best in my RP career. I hope we encounter each other again. Your mushrooms are extremely well worded and the abilities are amazing. Thank you for the amazing fight we had.

I second this motion
    As do I
    _________

On topic, this was my first tournament and although I only had 2 actual fights, I felt the experience was more or less enjoyable. I didn't find anything really wrong with the tournament. I was judged fairly and learned a lot.

As for the double elimination loser bracket thing, I felt that the only reason it may have been left out was because of the amount of people we had. I agree, it puts a higher emphasis on the win with single elimination. You don't get that second chance to make up for mistakes or in case you were inactive and were unable to come on.

I also have a suggestion for tournaments in the future. Idk if this has already occured, I've only RPed for about a year and haven't seen all the tournies in the history but possibly theme based tournys. Tournaments where there is a theme, that tests one's profficiency in certian areas or shows off the strongest members of a specific skill set. Here we had all out but what about having Taijutsu based tourny's or canon tournaments, 5 elements only, etc. Just throwing that out there

Status
    Oct 2011
    Ten Yasha

Quote Originally Posted by Solf J. Kimblee View Post
    Near perfect

Agreed with Solf.

Specially on the loser brackets back on and letting people choose what bio they like the prizes for.

Status
    Feb 2011
    This user has no status or
    wealth

A very wonderfully organized tournament *claps* We should try this again soon!
    Although I do believe that a double elimination tournament would be more fitting when having multiple winners "Second, third, forth, etc..". A sudden death seems more appropriate for when only one winner must be decided. This is because the second best and third best might be out of the game earlier than less skilled participants, which gives chance and luck a bigger say in the matter.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Bored.

It was very well organized, the only thing I find that was rather dull is the fact that the time to reply to a fight was a bit to long. I think that 3 day's (72 hours from post) should be the max limit for a tournament.. any longer makes it so the opponent can sit and wait. this is something that I realized in this tournament. I will see an opponent online and they will not reply to the tournament despite being online for hours.. I feel that if the reply time was shorter it will move things along faster allowing for fights to finish or at least give more material to help aid in the Judging of battles.

Status
    Jun 2011
    Cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent View Post
    It was very well organized, the only thing I find that was rather dull is the fact that the time to reply to a fight was a bit to long. I think that 3 day's (72 hours from post) should be the max limit for a tournament.. any longer makes it so the opponent can sit and wait. this is something that I realized in this tournament. I will see an opponent online and they will not reply to the tournament despite being online for hours.. I feel that if the reply time was shorter it will move things along faster allowing for fights to finish or at least give more material to help aid in the Judging of battles.
    If reply times are shortened, then a loser bracket could be added also. Since it's shortened, loser bracket won't drag tournament.

Status
    Nov 2008
    Dead

If reply times are shortened, then a loser bracket could be added also. Since it's shortened, loser bracket won't drag tournament.
    Shortening reply times wouldn't shorten the tourney. If reply times are shortened then the tourney would still only advance once a week. Shorter reply times would just make certain that the fights will have more than four or five posts in it, well ideally anyway.

Honestly, I don't think that a loser bracket should be added for such a tournament. I mean it's a grand tourney. It's supposed to be competitive and you're getting some pretty nice prizes even if you don't make it. So not only does it drag the tourney like we saw last time, but I personally think that single elimination is more appropriate for such a huge tourney. Smaller tourneys like within villages? Sure, a loser bracket can be acceptable. But a tourney like this? I'm not so sure.

Status
    Aug 2010
    This user has no status.

I kind of got nightmares about the illusion happening to me in real life. It was extremely detailed.

OT : A loser's bracket would be cool. The tournament is kind of ending and it only started about, a month ago? But having no loser's bracket is alright, I suppose. Honestly, I wouldn't want to be facing the same opponent twice.

Last edited by Yūsuke; 01-19-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Imagine paradise, now think of the furthest thing from it, and I'm in the place furthest from that.
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Yūsuke View Post
    I kind of got nightmares about the illusion happening to me in real life. It was extremely detailed.

OT : A loser's bracket would be cool. The tournament is kind of ending and it only started about, a month ago? But having no loser's bracket is alright, I suppose. Honestly, I wouldn't want to be facing the same opponent twice.
    Really O_o *that ish worked in rl and they said genjutsu couldn't be done :zonder: ku-kuu kuuu*
    ______

Why wouldn't you want to fight the same opponent twice? I mean if you fought them once and then ended up losing and meeting them again, you have a should be more prepared for them for next time. I mean if they used the same strategy...unless it was a one move pwn it shouldn't be too bad. The judges give their reviews so you know what to do better the next time around.

The addition of the loser bracket gives somewhat a sense of security imo. In the beginning of the tournament, you don't have to worry so much about losing and then not being able to proceed and get a chance later (like this one). I mean you don't want to lose at all but in the event you do you're still safe. Come time for the loser brackets to begin for you, then you have to worry lol.

Status
    Jan 2012
    This user has no status.

Considering the 3rd place winner of the last tournament came from the loser's bracket (Mcrazor) I dont see the problem with a losers bracket at all

Also Mcrazor ended up winning against the person who had put him out in the earlier round (Dante) when he met him again from the losers bracket