Page 4 of 4 « First 1234
    Status
    Dec 2010
    This is the status of this
    guy.

Re: Do you believe in the concept of wrong and right?

It's something like this:
    If you don't beleive in God > you don't beleive in afterlife > you don't have a purpose of life > you don't have a concept of good and bad to consider, because (if so), either way all are the same at the end.

I beleive in God, so yeah...

Banned
    Status
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Mante View Post
    It's something like this:
    If you don't beleive in God > you don't beleive in afterlife > you don't have a purpose of life > you don't have a concept of good and bad to consider, because (if so), either way all are the same at the end.

I beleive in God, so yeah...
    What a false argument...First off, if life's purpose is the afterlife, why the hell are we here at all. Then, just because life ends, it doesn't mean you cannot have goals, and find a meaning...And third, just because we are the same in the end, we are not exactly the same before the end so different people will still have different concepts of right and wrong, just as you think your belief is good and I think it is not that good...

Status
    May 2012
    Secret Rendezvous

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kobak~ View Post
    What a false argument...First off, if life's purpose is the afterlife, why the hell are we here at all. Then, just because life ends, it doesn't mean you cannot have goals, and find a meaning...And third, just because we are the same in the end, we are not exactly the same before the end so different people will still have different concepts of right and wrong, just as you think your belief is good and I think it is not that good...
    Don't want to get into a debate about religion.
    But to answer.
    This world is a test. To decide whether you are rewarded or punished in the afterlife. No one said you cannot have goals or to find your purpose in this world, just don't get so carried away, like all the YOLO crap that flies around.
    -

My idea on the concept of right and wrong is short. I believe in god, and try my best not to do anything that opposes his words. If I do, then I try to make up for it with good deeds or repenting. Laugh or mock if you want. I believe humans will continue to evolve, and with that society values will change, but in that, we need something to always fall back on, when we forget our ways and IMO is the Qu'ran.

-

To further discussion, everyone has quite a different way of perceiving things. To a poor man, stealing a loaf of bread to survive will not be seen as bad, but to the family who has their bread stolen will believe so.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Pierce the Heavens!!

"Right or wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views."

What someone considers 'right' or 'justly' may very well be 'wrong' or 'sinful' to another.
    I don't believe there's a universal concept right or wrong, but societies themselves will each create their own shared understanding of what is acceptable and what is not.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Attack on Titan. Akame Ga
    kill. Terra formars. Tokyo
    Ghoul Re. Psycho Pass 2=
    Favorite on-going
    mangas/series.

dammit late for this thread ....

Status
    Dec 2010
    This is the status of this
    guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kobak~ View Post
    What a false argument...First off, if life's purpose is the afterlife, why the hell are we here at all.
    to prepare for hereafter.

Then, just because life ends, it doesn't mean you cannot have goals, and find a meaning...
    yes you can have goals and find a meaning. But at the end you and Hitler are the same. Both died. Both loose their wealth, family etc.

And third, just because we are the same in the end, we are not exactly the same before the end so different people will still have different concepts of right and wrong, just as you think your belief is good and I think it is not that good...
    so what's the purpose of being good and bad..have a goal or find a meaning?

Status
    Dec 2011
    When the road gets dark and
    you can no longer see let my
    love throw a spark have a
    little faith in me .

I dont believe in it ...
    But i dont tolerate ppl doing stupid things just coz they feel its right for them

Status
    May 2011
    Still standin'

This thread has a deep meaning... For inteligent people...

Status
    Apr 2012
    This user has no status.

I do believe in this system. however, There are many " grey " areas in life , as well as things that are deemed right by some societies and wrong by others .... In the end we are all bound by what our community regards as moral or not.

Status
    Jul 2012
    all my bit2hes love me nd i
    love my bit2hes

that concept of wrong and right is moral according to a certain view and belief, so seen everyone has a view or belief, everyone belief in the concept of wrong and right.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Hungry...for pancakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguis View Post
    Through all the barriers we have overcome as a species this is one we still have a firm grip on, I don't see why we hold so dear to the concept of wrong and right. At the end of the day all it does to the species is bring:
    • separation of between humanity
    • righteous pride
    • unfairness

The most important one; it is too based on ones selfish need and too little for the benefit of others. Maybe it all boils down to the selfishness of humanity, but if we keep this concept humanity is never going to come to terms with one another and I shudder to think what will happen when we get civilised in space.

Now I know if we do get rid of this something else will have to take its place. I am just speaking my mind here but I thought of the concept of Progression of Humanity and the Delay of humanity and we should have a common goal (e.g. to learn everything, or explore everywhere) so this concept stands true. It would be based on what makes humanity go froward(progress) and what makes us go backwards(delay).

Now I don't know anyway this can actually be countered but I may just blinded by my own thoughts. So if you see a counter to this then please do tell.

I don't know what peoples reactions are going to be to this, maybe you think I am just an idiot who shouldn't make these types of threads again or you may of found this to be interesting and a good read, nevertheless let me know what you think, thanks.
    What an interesting topic, and a refresher from the usual fanboy flamers. Alas, I digress. The concept of 'right and wrong' at its core--how I see it--always been about the justification of human life and dignity. It is tied with our own sense of justice which that in itself can be influenced by our morality. Furthermore, our sense of morality is more often than not influenced, at least in some part, by any sense of spirituality/religious/(a)gnostic/(a)theists world view. They all tie in together; like pieces of a puzzle, or a pie chart. But that's not all.

Aside from the philosophical aspects, I have other bit more mundane reasons to disagree with your idea, particularly the bold part in the thread. From a Psychological perspective science has demonstrated our innate ability for compassion. And from an evolutionary and anthropological view, we are social animals. So why do compassion and sociability matter? Because they form the biological foundation for our cognitive development of the 'right and wrong' concepts, along with selfishness and greed; the biology is there for both, but our environment is what allows us to learn and expand on either spectrum, and in various degrees. In order for us to progress we as a species ought to focus more on the former (compassion & sociability) rather than the later (selfishness and greed), and not on subverting the concepts of 'right and wrong'. The issue arises when we are inevitably are confronted with Faith, which brings me to my last major point, and your list.

Believe it or not being part of a group gives us a sense of belonging, whether it's APA (American Psychological Association), a gang, a school, a fraternity, a club, or a Church/Mosque/Synagogue/Temple (to name a few), it empowers the individual with a sense of identity. None which has historically and/or culturally had a greater impact on human behavior than Faith. Sadly, it is the 1st thing I thought of when I read your 2 and 3 of your list. What greater group-identity has caused antagonism than one's world view. How many wars throughout the world has been caused by self-righteous over-piteousness? How much of such behavior judge as unfair due to it? Of course, these are rhetorical questions, but to drive through the point of Faith affecting beliefs and behavior I'm compelled to ask: what are your thoughts on abortion? homosexuality? rape? divorce? killing/murdering of another human being? respect? stealing? incest? lying? pedophilia? or even homosexual marriage? See my point? it's not always clear cut. Or it may be...

So in regards to the future progression of humanity it's not about foregoing the concepts of 'right and wrong,' because we can't. Rather, how we individuality overcome our own fallacies--usually through the interactions with others--regardless of our upbringing, and be compassionate, while juggling with today's meta-sets of human prevalence: philosophy, science, and faith. Maybe then our space civilization have a chance to progress even further, without loosing the freedom for dogma to a singular goal. Thanks for reading this looong essay (for a chat forum).

some science sources:
    http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/arti...onate_instinct
    http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/anthro/fa...e/relmodov.htm

PS-Not that it should matter, but I grew up in non-practicing catholic family, turned atheist before becoming agnostic; shortly explored Islamic/Muslim, and currently am a non-denominational Christian, who's pursuing a degree in physics/biomedical engineering in the dreams of becoming a medical doctor...but I'm soo lazy! ^_^ (I'm working on that. lol)

Banned
    Status
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Mante View Post
    to prepare for hereafter.

yes you can have goals and find a meaning. But at the end you and Hitler are the same. Both died. Both loose their wealth, family etc.

so what's the purpose of being good and bad..have a goal or find a meaning?
    - That's duplicating the world unnecessarily in the first place.

- So what? The world goes on. And even if there was afterlife, what difference would it make if Hitler was suffering in hell and I'd go to heaven...

- LOL you are asking me what's the purpose of good and bad when I said (read my first post in the thread) that these are just concepts, with different meaning to different people. To you it's based on your religion...

Status
    Nov 2012
    Hungry...for pancakes

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha Josephus View Post
    What if you're weak but smart?
    ditto, I just happen to fall under this category. xD

TheOriginalFatPapi ShishaMastah420's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2012
    Polar Bear Furrr.

Do you believe in the concept that whats wrong could be right and whats right could be wrong?

Status
    Jan 2012
    I put the dying in studying

Quote Originally Posted by zinescience View Post
    that concept of wrong and right is moral according to a certain view and belief, so seen everyone has a view or belief, everyone belief in the concept of wrong and right.
    Not true. Moral nihilists don't believe in the concept of right and wrong, and psychopaths can't tell the difference.

Status
    Dec 2011

Hm... okay, how about this:

Even if one beoieve in a god; it still means they can find it O.K. too do imoral acts/evil deeds. Consider this: they may feel God resides in each of us, and threfore feels they are god to some extent, and thst with the fact that thry say that "god will alwqys forgive, my son$, simply then pay penence... iflland if not, they may feel that it is not neccecerry even; considering thee above. X:

Just saying.

Page 4 of 4 « First 1234