Page 1 of 2 12 Last»
    Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmph....

Anime discussion- English Dub Sucks?!

Today I want to talk about something a little serious I guess lol. I notice a lot people online or who ever watch anime usually prefer the Japanese version over the English version a lot and I know half the audience is from the US at least. The usual lines I seen from people who dislike English complain about, English suck:P, English is garbage, Why is this in English and etc. I understand some people have preference including myself, still it's not cool to continuously bash on it just because you don't like and ruins for those who do enjoy the English version.

So what do you guys think why some people think English dub suck so much and why English dub doesn't get enough credit? :shrug:

★IP Banned Member★
    Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Anime discussion- English Dub Sucks?!

english dub sucks ass

Banned
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Que rico...

Dub sucks.

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Because it sounds bad

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Normally in dubbed anime, the voices sound way too exaggerated or even just wrong for a character. Some anime have good English dubs, however. FMA and FMA Brotherhood in English are really good in my opinion.
    Also, in the case of some anime like Sailor Moon, the story gets changed somewhat going from Japanese to English. I know this isn't the case for many, but it does happen occasionally.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Universal perfection is found
    thru the golden ratio

It does suck everything runs slow...

Hinata&ObitoSolos julio10ification's Avatar
    Status
    Nov 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kamui dimension

well i prefer the japanese sub but when i want to just sit back and relax and watch anime i prefer dub only if the voices ar good for example i prefer the dubbed version of dbz and FMAB cus the voices are fantastic and fit the character

Last edited by julio10ification; 01-28-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Banned
    Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Born To Reape Souls

lol i didnt know everyone hates dub. in my option its great since you feel more connected to the characters for example like when they say something funny or say touching its better to hear it and understand it right there then to read it

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmph....

Quote Originally Posted by uchihaminato19 View Post
    english dub sucks ass
    Quote Originally Posted by -Odin- View Post
    Dubs suck.
    Typical hater response, but why does English suck?

C'mon guys be more mature then that now.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmph....

Quote Originally Posted by Obito Uchiha123 View Post
    Because it sounds bad
    why does it sound bad?

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by d0kid0ki View Post
    Normally in dubbed anime, the voices sound way too exaggerated or even just wrong for a character. Some anime have good English dubs, however. FMA and FMA Brotherhood in English are really good in my opinion.
    Also, in the case of some anime like Sailor Moon, the story gets changed somewhat going from Japanese to English. I know this isn't the case for many, but it does happen occasionally.
    I agree with d0kid0ki. Most of the voice actors for the dubbed anime just sound wrong but as said, there are a few exceptions. Code Geass would be a great example of a good dubbed anime in my opinion.

Status
    Jul 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Most of the English voice actors sound ****ing bad.

Invincible Immortal EternalMangekyouRinnegan's Avatar
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    One Piece > Naruto

^ This. It's not that English dub sucks per se but most of the voice actors in the anime field are quite awful. I mean I've seen tons of american cartoons and I've never had any problems with their VA's but when I watch dubbed anime's, I can't help but to squint and facepalm. Sadly, they're mostly hiring amateur's to do the voice acting work and what's even sadder is that they're recycling the same crappy voice actors for most series.

Avatar The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra is a good example to prove that English dub isn't to blame here but rather the crappy voice actors. I know Avatar isn't an anime but it could easily pass as one and if all dubbed anime's had voice actors as good as in Avatar, then I doubt there would be any problem with English dub.

Last edited by EternalMangekyouRinnegan; 01-28-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    ding ding dong

Quote Originally Posted by julio10ification View Post
    well i prefer the japanese sub but when i want to just sit back and relax and watch anime i prefer dub only if the voices ar good for example i prefer the dubbed version of dbz and FMAB cus the voices are fantastic and fit the character
    Nice, you must be fluent in japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonFire View Post
    Typical hater response, but why does English suck?

C'mon guys be more mature then that now.
    I'll use Death Note scene as example(Though people keep claiming that it has good eng. dub, lol)

Japanese, original version:

They turned calm intelligent Light into.. (Skip to 0:30)

Overdramatic dumbass, seriously..

Last edited by natssuu; 01-28-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love anime.

I think it depends on who's dubbing it... Because the anime usually get dubbed in more than 1 studio... I prefer to stick with the dub I start with, otherwise it would just sound weird... I don't mind if it's dub or sub, both are fine for me but If I could choose then I'd watch dub, because then you don't need to read the subtitles (if you don't understand that much Japanese like me), you can just look at the video without needing to read the stuff.

Status
    Feb 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Give it back," you
    lament. "I've had
    enough," you wail. You
    think I care? That is fate!
    This terrible, brittle, puny
    story is the real thing!

You can't really compare something like Korra to general anime. The Avatar series got rather good reception so of course they're going to get top notch actors to voice them. But with anime it's a different field, since the audience is different and you can't easily base an anime's success rate on the japanese audience, so they try to match them as best as they can. Not to mention the animation for anime is suited to the voices, not the other way around so that might be why it sounds so "bad".

A lot of people generally hate the dub because of what 4kids did to One Piece.

Not all dubs are bad. I generally like the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood dub from what I've heard. Funimation are generally good with dubbing so go to them if you want to find something with a decent dub. I personally like Soul Eater and the Persona series when it comes to dubbing. They all sound like they fit extremely well together, especially Black Star, Death the Kid, and Mitsuru Kirijo.

Liverpool YNWA ~Shadowhunter Princess~'s Avatar
    Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I got soul but I'm not a
    soldier" - The Killers

Quote Originally Posted by natssuu View Post
    Nice, you must be fluent in japanese.

I'll use Death Note scene as example(Though people keep claiming that it has good eng. dub, lol)

Japanese, original version:

They turned calm intelligent Light into.. (Skip to 0:30)

Overdramatic dumbass, seriously..
    ^ I had no idea! I always thought the dub was better because it's the one I watched now I have doubts....

Not all dubbed animes are bad. Code Geass, DBZ and FMA: Brotherhood were really good. But others like Naruto are bad because of the way it sounds. The Naruto dub is so much slower than the original and the voices just don't fit the characters. Seriously, Naruto sounds like a girl

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hēi is not allowed to have a
    status.

Most dubbed anime sounds really bad,i don't remember any good anime with great dubs but some people like them (personally i don't)

Status
    Nov 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Dub isn't always bad but sometimes it is unwatchable

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmph....

When it comes to the English dub for me, usually it depends on the company who's dubbing the anime and the actors. I always give the dubs a chance since it's the language I speak and I understand it better, before I jump to subs like a lot people. Japaneses voice acting isn't perfect ether like a lot people claim like dragon ball z (jap) Goku doesn't sound great compared to the English version.

I felt the pitch wasn't strong here to me

When comes to subs it depends on which group is subbing because some subs are half done and have words that weren't there originally, I try to wait for a official company to sub an anime like funimation or again by a group who knows the language well. When comes down to it, it's all about preference for anyone and to respect each other choice or least try lol.

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    We Do Not Sow

I originally watched the English Dub, but after watching a few episodes in Japanese with English subtitles I couldn't go back. The voices were just terrible, at least for the majority of shows. Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop are two shows that are pretty good as English Dubs, but other than that I can't think of any.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Typically I would say that I do prefer the sub over the dub, just because the voices tend to sound more natural and genuine for obvious reasons. But people saying that all dubs suck? That's an awful, awful generalization.

Having seen a few series in dub I know there are some I can vouch for. Admittedly I have never watched through the Japanese versions of Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho, but from what I HAVE heard I can definitely say I preferred the dub. For whatever reason the English voices feel like they were made for the characters (how can anyone NOT like Chuck Huber's Hiei?) and they really capture the energy that's necessary for series like those. Fullmetal Alchemist also has a good dub from what I have seen, though I only watched through the sub in its entirety so I can't say for sure how the dub compares but I'd wager that it's close in quality. Gurren Lagann is great in both sub and dub, and while I prefer the sub a slight bit more the dub is by no means bad. I never watched Baccano in sub but I have seen the dub and it's just fantastic because it really fits the setting and, unlike typical anime, definitely feels genuine for that reason.

I find that most people who bag on English dubs have never legitimately watched through an entire series in dub and also assume that all dubs are as bad as 4Kids One Piece, which could not be more false. It is true that someone who is used to the voices in Japanese might find it difficult to adjust to the changes with the English casting, but that is not because the English voice actors are bad but rather because seiyuus just set the bar for high quality. Mamoru Miyano and Kana Hanazawa are utterly fantastic seiyuus that do amazing jobs with any character I've seen them play and I don't believe I've found any English voice actors that I'm as attached to. But that's not something you can fault any voice actor for because those two are just excellent to begin with. But in any case, dubs really aren't all that bad and if anything dub hate seems to be more of a bandwagon where people think it's "cool" to hate on dubs. Even if they aren't typically as good as the subs it by no means makes them bad.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Light in the Darkness

Well I watch the sub for multiple reasons:
    1) Being I'm too impatient to wait for the dubbed version
    2) The dub version usually sounds worse or just the actors they get sound wrong for that character.
    3) At least I'm learnin a new language-sorta.

Not all dubs are bad though, some are good

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmph....

Quote Originally Posted by Miles vi Britannia View Post
    Typically I would say that I do prefer the sub over the dub, just because the voices tend to sound more natural and genuine for obvious reasons. But people saying that all dubs suck? That's an awful, awful generalization.

Having seen a few series in dub I know there are some I can vouch for. Admittedly I have never watched through the Japanese versions of Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho, but from what I HAVE heard I can definitely say I preferred the dub. For whatever reason the English voices feel like they were made for the characters (how can anyone NOT like Chuck Huber's Hiei?) and they really capture the energy that's necessary for series like those. Fullmetal Alchemist also has a good dub from what I have seen, though I only watched through the sub in its entirety so I can't say for sure how the dub compares but I'd wager that it's close in quality. Gurren Lagann is great in both sub and dub, and while I prefer the sub a slight bit more the dub is by no means bad. I never watched Baccano in sub but I have seen the dub and it's just fantastic because it really fits the setting and, unlike typical anime, definitely feels genuine for that reason.

I find that most people who bag on English dubs have never legitimately watched through an entire series in dub and also assume that all dubs are as bad as 4Kids One Piece, which could not be more false. It is true that someone who is used to the voices in Japanese might find it difficult to adjust to the changes with the English casting, but that is not because the English voice actors are bad but rather because seiyuus just set the bar for high quality. Mamoru Miyano and Kana Hanazawa are utterly fantastic seiyuus that do amazing jobs with any character I've seen them play and I don't believe I've found any English voice actors that I'm as attached to. But that's not something you can fault any voice actor for because those two are just excellent to begin with. But in any case, dubs really aren't all that bad and if anything dub hate seems to be more of a bandwagon where people think it's "cool" to hate on dubs. Even if they aren't typically as good as the subs it by no means makes them bad.
    Exactly yes, Some people over look an English Dub before they even watch half way threw the series and then want to talk negatively on it, before giving the in particular series a chance. 4kids in estimate they play I say about....around 45 to 50% when comes to English Dub hate. 4kids pretty much level down all the anime they license for small children, like One Piece prime example of it.

talk about terrible joke lines lol

4kids contribute for dubbing anime made more twice many people hate the English dub. Like stated in my comment it depends on the company who dubs a anime and the voice actors, plus how much work they put into their acting same can imply for Japanese actors. Ha Ha that bandwagon that is true people who watch subs a lot then English usually dislike right away, because their used to the subs then English. Really it's all about preference and what taste you have for certain anime including myself.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I think for me it's all about what english voice actors are in the series. I prefer sub but I will watch certain anime series in dub if I know some of the voice actors. Like Ouran high school host club for instance, I gave it a shot because I liked the voice actors. However, Haruhi's voice kind of made me go back to the sub version. While it wasn't bad to those who had never heard maaya sakamoto's voice as haruhi, I was already spoiled at how her voice sounded. But usually when the series is done by funimation or viz I tend to give the english a shot. Like inuyasha, I think the sub is okay but I love the english cast so much that I refuse to watch it subbed. The same goes for when Saiyuki Reloaded was dubbed by another company, I refused to watch it but I couldn't watch the subbed either! Thank god the original cast from Gensomaden Saiyuki got back together and dubbed Saiyuki Gaiden. So looking forward to buying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last»