Status
    May 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ninja Fool Learn It!

Laptop battery question.

Alright I am myself am a CompTIA A+ Certified computer technician, generally I don't run into many problem's I cannot solve without a bit of tinkering, but I have ran into a problem that I need help with. My sister has a Toshiba Satellite laptop that is a couple of years old, and has only been shut down maybe a couple hand fulls of times.

I was wondering what the average life span of a laptop battery is (not how long it can stay on without being plugged in but how long the battery will last before a new one is needed). The reason I am asking is because the battery shows that it is plugged into the laptop but it will not hold a charge.

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    --
    http://www.furaffinity.net/gal
    lery/foxamoore/ --

Re: Laptop battery question.

i have a Toshiba laptop and the battery is holding pretty well after 3 years

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mariah Carey- Almost Home

If it has been charged 500-800 times, then the battery span would expire

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    月牙天衝

i been havin my laptop charger for 5 years not even a single prob

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    PRAISE THE LORD!! PASS THE
    AMMUNITION!!! GOD WANTS YOU TO
    GO TO WAR!!

No way youre a Computer technician. But anyway, Its got about a 2 year span. After 2 years, itll wear down and stop working

Status
    May 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ninja Fool Learn It!

Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Prince View Post
    No way youre a Computer technician. But anyway, Its got about a 2 year span. After 2 years, itll wear down and stop working
    Ya know that's what I tell myself until I look at my certificate that says other wise, earned it back in August of 2010.

And that's what I thought, but also keeping a computer on consecutively 24/7 without shutting it down once is also not good for it either.

I told her she will most likely have to buy a new battery

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanji View Post
    Alright I am myself am a CompTIA A+ Certified computer technician, generally I don't run into many problem's I cannot solve without a bit of tinkering, but I have ran into a problem that I need help with. My sister has a Toshiba Satellite laptop that is a couple of years old, and has only been shut down maybe a couple hand fulls of times.

I was wondering what the average life span of a laptop battery is (not how long it can stay on without being plugged in but how long the battery will last before a new one is needed). The reason I am asking is because the battery shows that it is plugged into the laptop but it will not hold a charge.
    @ the under-lined parts :

Maybe she has been having the charger still connected with the battery fully charged and letting the laptop run on the power given by the electrical source with the battery in between.
    From what I know, it's advisable that when a laptop's battery is fully charged and you're having the charger plugged in, that you remove the battery. We've had several laptop batteries problems (similar to the one you've mentioned) in the house until we started removing them while the laptop is running on the power from the electrical socket directly.

The problem is not always the average battery life-span, sometimes; mis-use leads to such crashes.

Status
    May 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ninja Fool Learn It!

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabebetter View Post
    @ the under-lined parts :

Maybe she has been having the charger still connected with the battery fully charged and letting the laptop run on the power given by the electrical source with the battery in between.
    From what I know, it's advisable that when a laptop's battery is fully charged and you're having the charger plugged in, that you remove the battery. We've had several laptop batteries problems (similar to the one you've mentioned) in the house until we started removing them while the laptop is running on the power from the electrical socket directly.

The problem is not always the average battery life-span, sometimes; mis-use leads to such crashes.
    Well that's what I thought the issue might be as well but when I turned it off and took the battery out it wouldn't turn back on. So I am contemplating on the fact that it might be a issue with the charger and the battery

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanji View Post
    Well that's what I thought the issue might be as well but when I turned it off and took the battery out it wouldn't turn back on. So I am contemplating on the fact that it might be a issue with the charger and the battery
    I see .-. Well then, all I can do now is wish you the best of luck on fixing the issue

Status
    Nov 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I believe that every time you charge a battery, there is always a bit of energy left over in the battery, which builds up, maybe that has to do with it?

What I do in this cases is but the battery in a airtight bag and place it a night in the refrigeratior (the one that freezes), it pulls out the left over energy. It kinda worked for my laptop, which is 8 years old...