Page 1 of 3 123 Last»
    Jesus Watches my Games. Tebows Youth Group's Avatar
    Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user no has status.

Why Naruto should and is going to end with Naruto's death.

"What?!?!"

says the majority of you.

"Not a chance! Naruto lives and becomes Hokage."

Well thank you majority of people, but I hope you'd at least be gracious enough to let me show you why this is the way it will end, and why it should...

Kishi's Inspritation: Not just Japanese Folklore

In order to understand "why" I came to this conclusion I must first explain "how" I came to it...

Technology has democratized literature. It is very difficult to write a story today without dipping into a little bit each culture. I am writing my dissertation on Old English literature and noticed many of the themes and symbols in Old English stories (especially Anglo-Saxon) are very similar to that of Naruto. For those unfamiliar, some commonly known stories are "The Wanderer", " Judith", "Beowulf", "Hymn of Caedmon" and then a little later, "Cantebury Tales." In fact, J.R Tolkien, author of The Lord of the Rings, drew inspiration from these stories.

A few things that are very common in English literature are...

1. Christian values from biblical stories were all very prominent (I will show you why this is important).

2. The "cycle" of revenge. When a loved one is killed, it would be dishonorable to not avenge their death.

3. Death is inevitable, no matter how great you become, in the end, death will catch up to you.

The Importance of Stories from the Bible

Old English authors used themes from the Bible (sometimes very directly) in the stories they wrote. This was in many ways though, very ironic, for the Bible preaches forgiveness and peace while their stories reflected quite the opposite. It was a time where these people had just recently been converted to Christianity and were still holding to the, "old ways". One story used prominently from the Bible was the story of the brothers "Cain and Abel". For those who don't know this story. Cain murders his brother Abel and is forced into exile, wandering the world aimlessly for the rest of his days. It is said that his descendents are cursed forever, in fact the monster Grendel, from Beowulf, was said to have been a descendant of Cain. Cain's bloodline is seen by these people as "cursed"

So lets recap....

Cain betrays his brother Abel.... The Elder and Younger Son...

Their descendents are cursed forever...

Killing their friends for power...

And betraying their brothers (as their ancestor did) for light...

Cain's descendants, the root of evil. Always the antagonists. The Elders Son's descendants, the root of evil, the antagnoists...

Grendel

Grendel's Mother

Obito and Madara

It was said that even Gollum from LOTR was based on Cain

Oh, and I searched around, there is no Japanese story that reflects the Uchiha like "Cain and Abel". It undoubtedly influenced the making of this clan.

But this is just the first point in why I think Naruto will ultimately meet his demise. Remember, the Uchiha=Cain's bloodline.

The "cycle" of revenge.

This cycle of hatred or revenge is nothing new to literature. It dates back thousands of years and is seen in almost every culture, an "eye for an eye" as they call it. In english literature alone we see this theme in stories like Hamlet, Widsith, Beowulf, and the story of Finn the legendary Frisian lord.

Hamlet avenges his father by killing his uncle...

Beowulf avenges Hrothgar by killing Grendel...

The Danes defeated and killed many of Finn's army, Finn later recipricates...

The cycle of hatred and revenge is a key component to all of these stories, including Naruto...

• With all of these stories, a hero must take on the evil in the world (the descendants of Cain) and break the cycle of hatred, but dont worry he always succeeds.
    • With Naruto, the Hero (Naruto), must take on the evil in the world (Madara and Obito) and break the cycle of hatred, but dont worry, he will succeed. Which brings me to my last point.

Death is inevitable, no matter how great you become, in the end, death will catch up to you

The main point in EVERY story of Old English is that everyone will die. Not matter how great one becomes, some day, they are going to pass. It is because of this relationship with death that the heroes in these English stories spend their entire lives working to become acknowledged. A hero only lives on through his deeds, but must accept humbly, his imminent death. In fact, those who do not respect death and its power over life are seen as scum and are always the most evil characters. For they do not respect the order of life..

"...Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.” -LOTR

In all heroic stories the hero is constantly reminded of death. Even before he dies, stories are told of heroes before him that passed, and his comrades usually fall along the way.

Beowulf relation:
    For instance in Beowulf, whos father passed before he was even born, acknowledges that even he will someday pass as his father did before him and as his friends did in battle. The King Hrothgar warns him that he must graciously accept death and tells the stories of past Kings dying in the line of duty for the betterment of his people.

But there is always a happy ending.

Naruto, our hero, who spends his life trying to be acknowledged and who's father passed before he was born....

Is constantly reminded of death and how heroes have graciously accepted it before him... (Notice all of the good heroes have died)

And those that don't acknowledge their death, are seen as evil...

Our hero must defeat this evil, the cursed descendants...

In order to break this chain of hatred...

^^^^ALL OF THESE EVENTS HAVE HAPPENED IN OTHER STORIES^^^^

So, we arrive at the end as it is in all of these stories the hero is faced with his greatest foe, his equal and opposite, the strongest descendant of the cursed bloodline. In order to break this curse, he must battle and defeat his final enemy, breaking the chain of hatred forever.

Some other final battles..

1. Hamlet kills his uncle, dies in the process.

2. Beowulf defeats the Dragon, is killed by his wounds.

3. Finn defeats the Danes, and is killed during the battle

Naruto said it best himself

In order to break the chain that emcompasses the world, the chain that has resulted in so many deaths, one last death must incur, the death of our Hero, who was finally able to set the world free. It is the best and most appropriate ending, given the way Kishi has written the story.

Oh and by the way. I realize Kishi's main inspiration comes from Japanese folklore, he has been quoted saying this, and many of the names correlate with old stories. What I am saying is the story of the "hero" or Naruto is based on the epic hero of old english literature, not of Japanese folklore.

Last edited by Tebows Youth Group; 02-02-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Tobirama/Madara/Hashi fan Hipster Madara's Avatar
    Status
    Mar 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    based-madara.tumblr.com

Re: Why Naruto should and is going to end with Naruto's death.

These are common themes though...

Status
    Oct 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Legends live Forever.

I would love if Naruto dies, not because I don't like him but it would make this Anime Original and Badass.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    you were so close.

I would hate that

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

if sasuke dies, im good

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Le cœur a ses raisons que la
    raison ne connaît point.

i think the same kishi will definitely make a tragic ending (naruto ans sasuke death) it's hinted many times.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put Jesus First

You did all of this for nothing lol... Naruto would live or what is the point of his character? to show kids that you will die before your dreams come true? Dont over think this cartoon bro lol

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user no has status.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
    You did all of this for nothing lol... Naruto would live or what is the point of his character? to show kids that you will die before your dreams come true? Dont over think this cartoon bro lol
    Eh, I think its more than jsut a cartoon with childish themes. Their are actually very complex ideas and messages. Look at things like Izanagi, pain, death and all the sex jokes. Some of these are too confusing for a child to comprehend or too adult themed.

Kirasaka and Natsuki FTW chad062388's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watashi no tsuma wa doko desu
    ka?!

I can see Naruto possibly dieing at the end, would really suck but I can see it happening.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

i like naruto, but i agree sometimes i think hell actually die in the end, i thought i was just me though

Banned
    Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I broke the rules, got banned.
    Please don't make the same
    mistake as me, follow the
    rules.

This was a brilliant thread, and a pretty damn good history lesson. Although I think Naruto will live in the end, I enjoyed reading this, well done.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user no has status.

Quote Originally Posted by 9 tails uzumaki View Post
    i like naruto, but i agree sometimes i think hell actually die in the end, i thought i was just me though
    Not at all, I think it would the most appropriate ending as well. Kishi has hinted towards this numerous times since the beginning. The only thing in my mind that would stop this is the other entities that have money invested in Naruto, and would not let it end with Naruto dying..

(Insert douchey kanji) Space Cowboy's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I dont necessarily agree mainly because i just dont see Kishi pulling that but you hands-down make the best threads on this site. Never made the connection between the Cain story and the Uchiha clan. Great job.

Banned
    Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blowing Fanboys and Idiots
    alike With C4 Karura

The "cycle" of revenge.

That's meant to be broken by Naruto, so no.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put Jesus First

Quote Originally Posted by Tebows Youth Group View Post
    Eh, I think its more than jsut a cartoon with childish themes. Their are actually very complex ideas and messages. Look at things like Izanagi, pain, death and all the sex jokes. Some of these are too confusing for a child to comprehend or too adult themed.
    believe me this show has WAY more childish moments than adult one's.... this show is still produced maybe not directly for children but definitely with the child audience in mind.... And also think about if Naruto dies than...

then minato and his mother would have died for nothing
    Jiraiya would have died for nothing
    And all of these people in this war (including tsunade) would have died for nothing
    They all put their faith and dreams in Naruto

If he died the story would be pointless

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user no has status.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Cowboy View Post
    I dont necessarily agree mainly because i just dont see Kishi pulling that but you hands-down make the best threads on this site. Never made the connection between the Cain story and the Uchiha clan. Great job.
    Haha I know. When I first thought of how similar they were, I couldnt believe I hadnt seen it earlier...

And yes it might not end this way, but it won't be Kishi's doing...it will be the people who have invested money in the brand.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Not at all, I think it would the most appropriate ending as well. Kishi has hinted towards this numerous times since the beginning. The only thing in my mind that would stop this is the other entities that have money invested in Naruto, and would not let it end with Naruto dying..
    i dont think id be cool but ive seen many animes/mangas were the main character dies and its just so sad

Last edited by 9 tails uzumaki; 02-02-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

the question is who cares about the bible

(Insert douchey kanji) Space Cowboy's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Haha I know. When I first thought of how similar they were, I couldnt believe I hadnt seen it earlier...

And yes it might not end this way, but it won't be Kishi's doing...it will be the people who have invested money in the brand.
    Possibly but even then i think the recurring theme of Naruto eventually becoming hokage hints that he will survive until the end. I do think that his death would make the ending much more powerful though.

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Akuma no Ko" Robin

Deffinatly has had several hints (especially with the whole we will die part).

There was also the scene during Naruto vs Itachi that goes against it.

During the war arc Naruto said leave the rest to me: it then shows him saying to Itachi he'll save Sasuke without killing him....I've posted the page below.

Not going to lie, I want them both to live, but it isn't entirely shocking and unsuspecting if they die

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user no has status.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
    believe me this show has WAY more childish moments than adult one's.... this show is still produced maybe not directly for children but definitely with the child audience in mind.... And also think about if Naruto dies than...

then minato and his mother would have died for nothing
    Jiraiya would have died for nothing
    And all of these people in this war (including tsunade) would have died for nothing
    They all put their faith and dreams in Naruto

If he died the story would be pointless
    Not at all, they died as most heroes do, in order to protect the fate of the world. Naruto's death and by extension, everyone who sacraficed themselves to keep him alive, would finally break the chain of hatred, something definitely worth dying for...

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I don't really have words to describe this thread appropriately. But I will say you did an outstanding job!

Even though you might be right, and I have felt the likeliness of this outcome myself, I am still not going to admit it. I just cannot accept his death.

But friend, you and this thread are amazing! Plus rep.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put Jesus First

Not at all, they died as most heroes do, in order to protect the fate of the world. Naruto's death and by extension, everyone who sacraficed themselves to keep him alive, would finally break the chain of hatred, something definitely worth dying for...
    You are missing the point of my argument... I gurantee you he wont die. I am done lol

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user no has status.

Quote Originally Posted by KGB Kakuzu View Post
    Deffinatly has had several hints (especially with the whole we will die part).

There was also the scene during Naruto vs Itachi that goes against it.

During the war arc Naruto said leave the rest to me: it then shows him saying to Itachi he'll save Sasuke without killing him....I've posted the page below.

Not going to lie, I want them both to live, but it isn't entirely shocking and unsuspecting if they die
    Thanks for the comment. But, I mean its not that I dont want him to live, personally I will read it till the end and be content with whatever is drawn. However, Naruto dying is still the most appropriate ending.

To your manga page. Naruto was still very young and naive at that time, he didnt realize what self-sacrifice was until he faught Pain. He came to the realization that he will die when he later faught with Sasuke after Danzo fight...

Fanboys Worst Nightmare new sage of 6 paths's Avatar
    Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate trolls

As long as sasuke also dies,am gud.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last»