Page 3 of 3 « First 123
    Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: What's so great about America?

Not much, it's full of opportunities they say, but I'm not interested in the slightest. Americans seem very arrogant/ignorant to me(not all of them, obviously).

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by PhazoN View Post
    Not much, it's full of opportunities they say, but I'm not interested in the slightest. Americans seem very arrogant/ignorant to me(not all of them, obviously).
    I'm curious to hear what experiences you've had with Americans that makes you say that.

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Aim64C View Post
    I'm curious to hear what experiences you've had with Americans that makes you say that.
    I haven't met one in person(and I don't plan to), but I read the news, watch TV, surf the internet, etc. American culture is everywhere, and that's how they come across many times, unfortunately.

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just because I don't
    fight...doesn't mean you
    should think I'm weak.

The fact that it has oceans for surfers...well that's far greater than being here in Schmanada.

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    We Do Not Sow

I haven't met one in person(and I don't plan to), but I read the news, watch TV, surf the internet, etc. American culture is everywhere, and that's how they come across many times, unfortunately.
    Don't you think its a little unfair to cast that judgement without meeting an American? If you just go by stuff on TV of course your perception is going to be skewed.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I haven't met one in person(and I don't plan to),
    Honestly, you probably have, and never knew it.

Everywhere I've gone, people have asked me... "So, you are from Britain, yes?"

but I read the news, watch TV, surf the internet, etc.
    The pinnacle of the informed individual.

American culture is everywhere, and that's how they come across many times, unfortunately.
    American culture is something of a misnomer. I haven't been to all 50 states - but I've been to more than most people, and traveled to three of the 'four corners' of our continent. The culture is different everywhere you go. There are some common things - but I've seen these in other countries, too. General hospitality is a human thing expressed in the more tight-nit areas of all societies (regardless of nationality).

Now, I'll be honest - many of my relatives are red-neck as hell (not necessarily in a bad way). We'd have our family reunion campout and stay for a few days in tents, RVs. We'd all hop in the back of a pick-up truck with some fishing poles and catch what we were going to fry up for dinner that evening. We'd sit around the camp fire and talk until midnight, swapping stories or what-have-you.

Go a little farther east into some of the more urban areas, and a family reunion is held over a single evening where someone in the family usually has a rather expansive home/estate, and everyone brings a main or side dish. Sometimes a hall or a part of a restaurant is rented out somewhere. ... And that assumes a family reunion is held at all (some people can barely trace their family back to their grandparents or their family is scattered across 10 states and 200,000 square miles).

I've never met a native Californian person - almost everyone seems to have moved there from some other state. The state, itself, is largely divided in both politics and society (southern and northern California are not exactly on good terms with each other). The people there tend to be fairly nice and more in line with those of urban communities... but their politics are absolutely alien to a midwestern boy like myself. There are a considerable number of laws and regulations that, to me, do not seem to make sense or be necessary. A number of the people seem to be in support of them, but I think a lot of them seem to think the rest of the country is a toxic waste dump, or something.

Most of us who travel abroad do not make a habit of bellowing: "I'm an American!" Perhaps somewhat ironically, while we try to be good stewards and to be good examples for our nationality... no one actually notices that we are American - they pass us off as some random European nationality.

Then I sit in the Mall of the Emirates and watch as a spanish Douche-o-matic comes in with his wingman, douchenozzle, and practically slams his crotch into the face of a girl (of the working class) hostessing for a restaurant while he tries to hit on her. My buddy and I both were about to make headlines of ourselves, but she handled it pretty well... still - it was like watching a fox evade dive-bombing hawks.

I see that stuff all over the place. It's not just Americans being the idiots around the world. There are just as many from other parts of it. The reason we catch the reputation for it is because we're the "big kid" on the block... and because we have 350 million people with a higher percentage of that population being able to afford international travel (or who can access it through various programs) - there are considerably more Americans abroad than that of most other nations (given that they have smaller populations).

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://narutobase.net/forums/s
    howthread.php?t=447692

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
    This is a topic where I'm legitimately questioning what makes America such a great place. Thus I consider it serious seeing how it involves it's laws/wars and deem it to be in proper placement.

The patriot act went unchallenged by the citizens and It violates the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth and 14th Amendments.

The FBI/CIA, or any other government agency can illegally wiretap your phone conversations, storm inside your house without any official warrant, detain you without an access to an attorney, install personal/civil liberties by installing high-tech cameras in public/private locations, look at your credit card info, and even label you as a "terrorist" if you're against government policies they voted for.

The NDAA passed and thus Americans can be detained without due process. That means if you're suspected of terrorism they can show up and take you without due process. No trial by jury, innocent until proven guilty ect. This law directly violates 4th, 5th, 6th 7th and 8th Amendments.

Free speech zones are enacted thus you do not have the right to free speech anywhere and everywhere in America. So there goes the 1st amendment.

Aside from all those atrocities happening, 90% of the voters, keep voting for people who have taken away your rights as citizens. Here's two examples. President Bush and President Obama have both signed unconstitutional laws in their first term, yet people still voted for them and they got second terms.

People actually that gun control works. Only thing I have to say about this, is that there's 6 million dead german jews who think it works and 20 million dead russians who think it works too. Keep in mind a modest portion of the country wants gun control. Not to mention they do not care about their 2nd amendment rights or the soldiers who died for it. May as well find a women who son died fighting for America and say your son died for nothing. Because with everything that's been violated it's true. You can say "Well their only banning high capacity magazines and semi automatic weapons (seeing how automatic weapons have been banned since the 1930's) but the whole point of the 2nd amendment is for the citizens to defend themselves against a corrupt government.

The whole problem stems from an ignorant, self important, and uneducated society. Most Americans don't care about anything unless it begins to affect them. So to put things in perspective it's like this. A robber robs a strangers house. The victim is worried now that they will be robbed every night, while the majority of others do nothing because nothing happened to them.

To make matters even more ridiculous people keep prostituting their children in order to gain support in affairs such as terrorism, gun control, controversial topics like abortion ect. Corrupting children with things they have no understanding of is not helpful to anyone or anything. It just creates an even more deranged society where people have no morals (not that they're morals today.) People will protest over abortion, gay marriage, gun control ect but when it comes to their rights as a citizen no one does anything.

By the American Governments admission, the vietnam war was started off a fake attack. The battle that "started the vietnam war" never happened. So what did people do after the government admitted that? Absolutely nothing. Yup millions innocent human beings died and people do nothing. The situation is very similar in the middle east too. Keep in mind this admission happened in 2004 when the internet was around.

What makes this country so great?
    good quetion

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Don't you think its a little unfair to cast that judgement without meeting an American? If you just go by stuff on TV of course your perception is going to be skewed.
    I'm not judging anyone, but that's the image I get from the sources I mentioned, so I'm not interested. I know that there are many good americans out there.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Well America can have everything that money can buy so naturally its gonna be greater than most if not the greatest . . . . . . U dont argue with the biggest player in the field.

Last edited by Anorien16; 02-19-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Page 3 of 3 « First 123